Thoughts on Rolle, Leinart, FA & of course, The Draft

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
7. Congratulations to Crazy Canuck. It was an unbelievable game...and Crosby's give and go was textbook.

Thanks, Mitch...

This whole country was holding its collective breath. The US team, and particularly its goal tender were superb, which makes the victory all the more satisfying.

As trite, and perhaps inappropriate, it is almost a JFK moment up here: As in "where were you when Sid the Kid scored"?

Congrats CC. I thought it was a mistake not playing Brodeur in the last game though.

Imagine what would have happened if they lost. OMG all NHL teams would have been kicked out of the country & Vancouver may still be on fire. :D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He will be off the board in Round 2, I guarantee it. He came out too early, we all know that, but his upside is too big to ignore.

The other QB the Cardinals might consider at #26 is Colt McCoy. Just prepping you for the weeks of talk ahead. There will be much consideration about a QB at #26, just saying.

The two best indicators of NFL success coming out of college are completion percentage and number of starts.

Well that answers the question. Colt McCoy had 52 career starts and a 70% completion percentage. AND caused Snead to transfer. Trade Leinart and draft McCoy and you wouldn't even need to change the offense. Shotgun and throw mostly short timing passes all day long. As I've said before watching Texas was just like watching Arizona.

Just for the irony they could draft Snead in a later round to be his backup.

:D

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
The thing is, Mitch, that you put so much "out there" that you expect a pat on the back every time one strand of spaghetti that you hurl at the wall sticks? Is your Kenny Britt "prediction" (among how many just last year?) supposed to erase your prediction that Raynoch Thompson was going to be a Pro Bowl player?

perfect analogy.

What's annoying, Mitch, is that you write 4 page posts every day that say the same thing as the day before in a different way, ignoring what other people have said, only listening to the people who tell you "Great post" every time.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CB Dunta Robinson---gives the Cardinals one of the most talented CB tandems in the NFL. Allows the team to release Bryant McFadden and his $5M.
Saw some ESPN highlights on Robinson and this guy can really hit. I don't know about his coverage skills though.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Saw some ESPN highlights on Robinson and this guy can really hit. I don't know about his coverage skills though.

Dunta Robinson is a terrible cover CB. The Texans would not be releasing him if he was still good after that knee injury in 07. McFadden can play tight with a receiver, just has ball skills problems whilst Robinson justs get burned much like that Cromartie guy in SD.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that Darren Sharper or Fred Robbins will take up the $5.5 million exemption. Sharper'll sign for the $3.3 on a three-year deal, but I wouldn't offer it to him.

Defensive secondary players are only as good as the pass rushers in front of them. Ryan Clark played in one of the best rush defenses in the NFL. Darren Sharper played behind a defense headed by Gregg Williams, one of the best pressure defensive coordinators for a 4-3 defense operating in the NFL. Sharper didn't suddenly go from being used up to being good; the pass rush protecting him got better. I personally would rather have Rolle than either of those players.

That's why the Cards are working so hard to re-sign him. Put a more consistent pass rush in front of Antrel Rolle, and he might earn his way to a Pro Bowl.

Fred Robbins was benched late in the season by the Giants. I believe that he'll be able to operate in a 3-4, and I don't think he'll cost $5.5 million, either. I'd love to bring in him and Jimmy Kennedy to compete with Watson and a draft pick for two or three NT spots in training camp.

If you're not going to listen to Joeshmo tell you that Gary Brackett isn't going to fit into this defense, you're not going to listen to me tell you. But I do think that Scott Fujita has the coverage ability to do what the Cards need to help replace Dansby. The question is whether Fujita can stay healthy. He only has 23 starts the past 2 seasons.

I would throw that $5.5 million at Tully Banta-Cain and if that doesn't work Joey Porter. That figure isn't much more than what we've already spent for less production with Berry and Okeafor.

K-9-----While you and I haven't had a lot to agree upon lately, this is a very solid writeup. I would tend to agree with you that Sharper didn't just get better. You might be correct about Rolle earning his way to the Pro Bowl, but he will have to stop free lancing in order to do that in my opinion. Some of that may have come because he hasn't got a lot of time at FS and was still learning the position though. After all he spent three full years trying to become the corner we thought we had when we drafted him.

As far as nose is concerned, with the attitude that the FO has displayed so far, I almost get the impression that 1. they are sold on Watson's return to complete and full strength, or, 2. they are blowing a lot of smoke, and plan on taking someone like a Fred Robbins in free agency. Either way, I still see them making an effort to take a solid one in the draft if they get the opportunity.

I also believe Brackett is not suited to our defense. Fujita is, but there is the injury possibility. (That is the same with Hayes though), and I still think they are counting on him to start for them at SILB. I see a need to take two quality inside line backers, even it they bring Fujita in to start for them at WILB. With the fact that ILB is probably one of the easier transitions to the NFL, one, (or possibly both), of them might be starter-ready by playoff time, if they get real quality in the draft.

Bringing in either Porter, or Banta-Cain, would solidify the rush backer at starting position even though Haggans is getting up in years. With Cody Brown, Will Davis, and Stevie Baggs already signed there, we should have quality back-up by mid season. That, along with deepening the CB slot, should allow for our new DB's coach work with our Corners and Safeties on getting a little better coverage than we had last year.

Good write-up K-9. You did your homework on this one. Its good to see you join in on the discussion for a change, rather than just using every opportunity to trash someone else's effort. Good Job.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Granted, Zeno. But there is no mistaking this kid's talent. NFL coaches think they can mold talent. Hey, before Whiz came Warner was an afterthought.

I am not advocating taking Snead at #26...what I was posing as a question is will the QB position be considered at #26, especially if the immediate defensive needs are met in FA, and knowing what I know about Whiz, the answer to me is a resounding yes.

Whiz has yet to draft a QB. This year he will. When and where we don't know.

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him take Colt McCoy at #26, if he thought McCoy was his guy.

You may have a point that we will consider a QB in the draft, but as far as in the first round, it is pretty far fetched. Drafting a guy like Brown or Skelton makes a bit more sense because they are physically more gifted than McCoy and Snead, and will be available later in the draft. It is not that I don't agree that QB is an issue, it is that Leinart will start this year, and it also sounds like we will bring in a vet behind him. So at worst we will have two offseasons to develop our draft pick, not to mention what happens if there is a lockout. You have to improve your team now, as well as for the future. Taking a 1st round QB does neither of these things for the Cardinals in their current situation.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Well, Mitch saw 5 minutes of him throwing at the Combine, so I guess that everyone is wrong and Snead is a possible first-round pick.

I think a question we have to ask is why was Snead so much worse this year than last? Going into the season he was considered in the race for top QB with Bradford. I know he had a terrible year but have yet to see any explanation of the possible factors other than "he sucks." But if he sucks then I'd like to see answered what made him look so good the previous year.

Did Ole Miss lose WRs and OLinemen? Did Snead have an injury? Did he start doing drugs? Players don't just go from great to sucking in one year without a reason.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What the Cards do in free agency and with Boldin will (obviously) impact the draft.

1 QB. They have already said that they will sign a veteran and draft a young qb for development. Rounds 4 to 7 make the most sense.

2. OLB I think they will go after Joey Porter. Mike Jurecki said that they have significant interest in him. He is right more often than wrong. If they get Porter that impacts their draft. Otherwise I see them going OLB on round one. Players like Brandon Graham, Jerrry Huges, and Everson Griffin would be candidates. Koa Misi from Utah could be there on Round 2.

3. NT. I like Cody at #26 or Troupe in the 3rd round. It will be interesting to see if they resign B Robinson for one more year. They still need to draft one to backup Watson and develop.

4. Saftey. I will really be surprised if Rolle comes back after hitting the opein market. I can see us going after and getting Ryan Clark. Should also draft one.

5. OL. They will bring back Bridges and maybe even Gandy if he will take a pay cut. Draftwise I can see them getting center J.D. Walton Baylor.

6. ILB - Could sign Foote or draft Weatherspoon or Spikes. There is a hole here for sure that needs to be addressed.

7. CB - Will sign a free agent for depth and probably draft one also. I think in rounds 4 to 7.

8. Kicker - No one is talking about this but Racker is a free agent. I think the Cards will resign him. I do know that CardsfanMD will really be happy when they do.:D

Lots of argument on this thread on QB Snead. He had a spetacular sophmore year followed by a bad junior year. Kiper originally had him as the 2nd rated qb going into the 2009 season behind Bradford. I think he will go in the 3rd Round. Maybe even to the Cards if they have an extra pick from trading Boldin.

I'm one of the oldest on the Board. 67 years and followed the draft for over 50 years. That means one thing I have over all of you!!! The most wrong draft predictions by anyone on this board!!!

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'd be concerned as well about a guy who left Texas because he couldn't beat out Colt McCoy and then is rumored to have left Ole Miss because he was going to have to compete for the starting job.

But then I don't see the Cards needing to spend a late round draft pick on a QB to be a backup. There are plenty of guys available in FA to handle that job.

As for QBOF if the Cards decide they don't want to pay Leinart the odds of getting a Tom Brady instead of a John Navarre with that late pick aren't good.
Take a guy next year at the top instead.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be concerned as well about a guy who left Texas because he couldn't beat out Colt McCoy and then is rumored to have left Ole Miss because he was going to have to compete for the starting job.

But then I don't see the Cards needing to spend a late round draft pick on a QB to be a backup. There are plenty of guys available in FA to handle that job.

As for QBOF if the Cards decide they don't want to pay Leinart the odds of getting a Tom Brady instead of a John Navarre with that late pick aren't good.
I like this idea.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He (Snead) also got his degree in December. Leinart spent a extra year at USC taking a class in dancing as he also had his degree. I think Snead had enough of the college scene.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
If you listen to you and Joe we'd never pick or sign anyone...both of you are thread trollers who are afraid to put names out there and you bash whatever names people put out there. It's unreal.

Last year, I had a mock where I had the Titans trading the #30 pick to the Cardinals for Boldin and I had the Cardinals taking WR Kenny Britt in that spot (which as it turns out is just where he was taken), which caused Joe to go into a vitriolic tirade about how worthless he was and what a completely over-rated, selfish, unskilled and undeserving he was. Problem is you and Joe believe everything you read...if you read one bad article or Huddle Report prognosis you are all atwitter. How about actually seeing these guys play and forming an opinion?

Hey, and Joe didn't even have the decency to say hey good call on Britt after he torched us and had a danged good rookie season.

You see that Snead threw 20 ints last year so you stick a freaking fork in him. Let me enlighten you, Snead may wind up being the Brett Favre of this draft...he has that type of arm. So few rookies are going to be instant stars...the whole draft is a crap shoot...you often go with talent and you hope to develop it.

I know one thing for sure, neither you or Joe would have ever drafted a QB from Northern Iowa...he would have been a joke to you both.

I havent even made a single post in this thread and you want to throw your bile all over me. So this is completely uncalled for.

Stay classy San Diego.

You really looking for props on predictions from a year later. You dont see me throwing bile on you for past predictions that you made that turned out to be completely wrong, and there is a lot of them, we all have a lot of them, its why we dont get paid the big bucks. I dont see you giving me a pat on the back for being right on all the Giants free agents you said were awesome and threw mud on the FO for not signing them, turns out all of them failed like I said. But I dont care that you did or didnt, this isnt grade school anymore, I dont need praise or search for pats on the back anymore.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I think a question we have to ask is why was Snead so much worse this year than last? Going into the season he was considered in the race for top QB with Bradford. I know he had a terrible year but have yet to see any explanation of the possible factors other than "he sucks." But if he sucks then I'd like to see answered what made him look so good the previous year.

Did Ole Miss lose WRs and OLinemen? Did Snead have an injury? Did he start doing drugs? Players don't just go from great to sucking in one year without a reason.

Here is the thing IMO. Although Snead in his Sophmore year did get worse in his Junior year, his Soph year wasnt anything special either. He was never great to begin with.

Under 3000 passing onlt 56% comp percentage and 13 INTS.

Here is a classic case of the media searching so hard for the next "IT" guy. They do it every year. They did it with Snead after one really good Bowl game I believe and latched on to him. They saw some of his good assets that he has like Mitch has already mentioned and again they pushed aside the actual production and thought he would put it all together in his Junior year, HE DIDNT, and here we are today. He has all those physical tools you look for but I fear he has none of the mental tools to put those physical tools to good use or use on a consistent basis translating it to actual production. He might be book smart but not football smart.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

He lost two guys that turned out to be pretty good: Michael Oher (who was in the running for offensive ROY) and Mike Wallace (who was solid and a surprise for the Steelers). We see quarterbacks all the time where the protection that they get from the OL and the talent they have at WR makes them look better than they are. Just look at most of the QBs that come out of Michigan, the U, and FLorida State if you need more evidence.

I'm really concerned about the story that he was told that he'd have to compete for the job and so left Ole Miss. Stay classy, Jevan Sneed. You're certainly never going to have to compete for a job in the NFL.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
You forgot to add that he also had 26 TDs. Not bad for a sophmore playing in the tough SEC.

Tim Tebow had 32, 30, and 21 in his years. Doesnt mean I think he will be a good passer. Its the whole picture and Snead has never had a good college season. There is a reason why his own coaches were looking to replace him before he even left.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't want Jevan Snead. period .

What intrigues me is going after Vince Woolfolk, the NT from New England.
What I don't understand is exactly what we would have to give up if we were to sign him.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
I don't want Jevan Snead. period .

What intrigues me is going after Vince Woolfolk, the NT from New England.
What I don't understand is exactly what we would have to give up if we were to sign him.
Wilfork got tagged by the Pats...We can't get him.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That is not true. You can sign him but it comes with a penalty. I just don't know what the penalty would be.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He will be off the board in Round 2, I guarantee it. He came out too early, we all know that, but his upside is too big to ignore.

The other QB the Cardinals might consider at #26 is Colt McCoy. Just prepping you for the weeks of talk ahead. There will be much consideration about a QB at #26, just saying.

The issues with Snead are his decision making. No one ever questioned his arm strength. Also, there are those that weren't impressed with Snead at the combine because they felt his footwork was bad and he held the ball too low.

NFL graveyards are full of "big armed" QBs with potential. If they don't have it between the ears, they won't play in the NFL. I am not saying that Snead doesn't have it for sure, but he hasn't shown it yet. Because of that, you simply can't draft him that high.

If we consider taking Snead in the 1st or 2nd round, I will vomit.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05