Tim Couch anyone?

Grand Canon

Rookie
Reaction score
McClown is awful - I know that Couch didnt have sucess in Clevland, but I bet his is more accurate than McClown- he's got a great arm- I dont think it could hurt to bring him in and see what he has left...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's coming off surgery though nobody knows how good his arm is.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the Cards work him out and see what he has--but he'd have to be looked at with a very critical eye by Green.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
What is the story with Rohan Davey? Would he be worth a look?

The Shark

I'm surprised nobody has snapped him up yet, I'd bet the Jets do that with Pennington and Fiedler both hurt.

He's got an arm, he's a late bloomer came to football quite late and he's slower to develop than New England hoped, but he does have a good arm.

Better than Navarre, was better than Josh at one time but Josh has played a lot more I'm not sure that he's still better than Josh.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
What is the story with Rohan Davey? Would he be worth a look?

The Shark

Damn, i was just about to suggest that.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I'm surprised nobody has snapped him up yet, I'd bet the Jets do that with Pennington and Fiedler both hurt.

He's got an arm, he's a late bloomer came to football quite late and he's slower to develop than New England hoped, but he does have a good arm.

Better than Navarre, was better than Josh at one time but Josh has played a lot more I'm not sure that he's still better than Josh.

I just heard that the Jets are bringing Vinnie back, since he is familiar with the system.

The Shark

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we're going to suggest another QB: I'll go with JESSE PALMER

(He's certainly shown more than Davey and Couch is shopping himself in the CFL)

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
What has Davey done to make so many people here like him so much? Same goes for Gerrard. Any chances that either one has recieved to play in a real NFL game they have looked very unimpressive to me. I just dont see it at all. But then again I didnt follow either ones college careers so are you guys basing your opinions on that or preseason work, what. Enlighten me please.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
What has Davey done to make so many people here like him so much? Same goes for Gerrard. Any chances that either one has recieved to play in a real NFL game they have looked very unimpressive to me. I just dont see it at all. But then again I didnt follow either ones college careers so are you guys basing your opinions on that or preseason work, what. Enlighten me please.

He only threw 19 passes in 4 years with the Pats so it's hard to say he really had a chance. Physically he's got good size and a good arm, too heavy, not particularly athletic but he can wing the ball. Really came on his last 2 years at LSU he and Josh were the 2 QB's everyone had rocketing up the board. Josh was more athletic, but they were pretty much neck and neck predraft. Josh came here and got to play in year 2 and start in year 3, Davey backed up Brady and never played.

he's not a high % guy and admittedly his preseason numbers have never been good, never hit 50%, but he has that arm and I think that's why people think Green would like him, Green likes strong arms. I don't think anybody is suggesting he comes in and starts.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Davey? Plueasse! Lets not get hasty. I say we play the string out and go for Leinhart, or trade for Rivers, or if Brees walks or... uhmm....GOD someone else...!!!

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is very raw and hasn't done much in the NFL, but was a stud in college and NFLE - it's a stretch, I know, but what the hell at this point?

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=17890

College
Davey was the only quarterback in LSU history to throw for over 3,000 yards in a season (3,347; 2001) … He is also the only passer in LSU annals to throw for over 300 yards in three consecutive games … He ranks fifth in school history with 29 touchdown passes and sixth with 4,415 yards passing despite starting in only 12 games … Completed 286 of 478 passes (59.8 percent), both ranking seventh on LSU’s all-time record list. 2001 (Senior): All-Southeastern Conference second-team selection by the league’s coaches and the Associated Press … Started every game and guided Louisiana State to its first outright conference title since 1986 … Completed a school single-season record 217 of 367 passes (59.1 percent) for 3,347 yards and 18 touchdowns … Davey set two school records with 528 yards passing and 35 completions in the Tigers 35-21 victory over Alabama … His 528 yards was only the fourth 500 yard passing performance in SEC history … His 540 yards of total offense tied the SEC game-record, first set by Mississippi’s Archie Manning vs. Alabama in 1969 … Earned Sugar Bowl MVP honors as he closed out his career by hitting on 31 of 53 passes for 444 yards and three touchdowns in 47-34 victory over Illinois. 2000 (Junior): Selected as one of three captains and was the recipient of the team’s Most Inspirational Award … Played in four games, including starts against Tennessee and Florida and completed 38 of 59 passes (64.4 percent) for 577 yards, seven touchdowns and only one interception … Added 49 yards rushing on eight carries (6.1 avg.) … 1999 (Sophomore): Served as the Tigers backup quarterback, playing in seven games, including two starts … 1998 (Redshirt): Played in two games, versus Arkansas State and Idaho but recorded no statistics. 1997 (Freshman): Redshirted as a freshman.

2004 (NFL Europe: 10/10, 1/1 – Berlin Thunder): Davey was named the 2004 NFL Europe League Offensive Player of the Year after completing 126 of 206 passes for 1,676 yards, including a league-high 19 touchdowns ... Started all 10 regular season games and finished the campaign with an NFL Europe-best 105.9 quarterback rating while leading the Thunder to a 9-1 record and a World Bowl XII victory ... Was named Offensive Player of the Week three times ... Registered a 132.6 QB rating after connecting on 12 of 18 passes for 164 yards and two touchdowns in Berlin's 28-17 victory over Amsterdam ... Found Jorg Heckenbach for a seasonbest 52-yard touchdown strike in the second quarter ... Completed 19 of 27 passes for 279 yards and four touchdowns in the Thunder's 35-31 win over Cologne ... Amassed three touchdown tosses in the first quarter, including a 40-yard bomb to Richard Alston on the second play from scrimmage ... Registered his third 100.0+ quarterback rating (127.2) of the season by completing 10 of 17 passes for 149 yards and four touchdowns in Berlin's 33-29 win against Amsterdam ... Recorded his second rushing touchdown of the season with a 1-yard plunge in the third quarter ... Completed 16 of 27 passes for 242 yards and two touchdowns for a 113.5 quarterback rating in only two quarters of action during the Thunder's 33- 20 World Bowl-clinching victory over the Rhein Fire ... Connected on 16 of 25 passes for 225 yards and four touchdowns in Berlin's 31-27 comefrom- behind road victory over the Frankfurt Galaxy

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Grand Canon said:
McClown is awful - I know that Couch didnt have sucess in Clevland, but I bet his is more accurate than McClown- he's got a great arm- I dont think it could hurt to bring him in and see what he has left...

No thanks.

Also, Davey on the cheap could be a decent alternative, but I'm with the majority. I'd rather ride out the season and take our chances with grabbing a QB in the draft.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cardsmasochist said:
Bring in Tim Couch and Eric Crouch.

While you're at it, why not Ryan Leaf? :D

No no no nononononnonono, I got it, bring back Neil Lomax!!!

:biglaugh:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Snake said:
No thanks.

Also, Davey on the cheap could be a decent alternative, but I'm with the majority. I'd rather ride out the season and take our chances with grabbing a QB in the draft.

Unfortunately, this is the Cardinals and they will win just enough to blow their chances at Leinart. Like the meaningless win vs Minny that would have netted us Manning Jr.

Regardless...the pass on Leftwich still haunts me the most. At least passing on Roth got us Fitz...passing on Leftwich netted us Dumb and Dumber.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
vince56 said:
While you're at it, why not Ryan Leaf? :D

No no no nononononnonono, I got it, bring back Neil Lomax!!!

:biglaugh:

Lomax, well in to his 50s by now, would be better than any of those three.

Hell, let's sign Couch, Cade McNown and Akili Smith and claim we have every crappy QB from the "Great QB Clas of '99"

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
Unfortunately, this is the Cardinals and they will win just enough to blow their chances at Leinart. Like the meaningless win vs Minny that would have netted us Manning Jr.

Regardless...the pass on Leftwich still haunts me the most. At least passing on Roth got us Fitz...passing on Leftwich netted us Dumb and Dumber.
Manning wouldn't have played here--think about it, why would he refuse SD but accept AZ?

Yeah, the passes we took on Big Ben and Leftwich are haunting to me, too.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Manning wouldn't have played here--think about it, why would he refuse SD but accept AZ?

Yeah, the passes we took on Big Ben and Leftwich are haunting to me, too.

So Manning says no...we could have still made the same trade with the NYG, traded down to #4 and taken Fitz or Rivers and received NYG #1 pick in 2005...(#12 Derrick Johnson or Jammal Brown). Beating Minny was huge!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
So Manning says no...we could have still made the same trade with the NYG, traded down to #4 and taken Fitz or Rivers and received NYG #1 pick in 2005...(#12 Derrick Johnson or Jammal Brown). Beating Minny was huge!
Point taken.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
TheCardFan said:

Leftwich sure would have looked nice as a member of the Arizona Cardinals :(

As for Leinart, at least there are several other potential franchise QB's (Chris Leak, Reggie McNeil, Vince Young-- even though I'm not a fan personally, Omar Jacobs) who could be ours for the taking if the Cards pull their typical uphill swing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:
Lomax, well in to his 50s by now, would be better than any of those three.

Hell, let's sign Couch, Cade McNown and Akili Smith and claim we have every crappy QB from the "Great QB Clas of '99"

Lomax has a son who's either a hotshot senior QB in HS or a freshman in college, I know Cal was recruiting him but I don't know where he is.

Found him, Nick Lomax 6'6" 210 pound freshman QB at Boise State. So all we gotta do is wait 2 more years and draft him after his junior year.