Tip Sheet: Shelton-Henry Deal Dead

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Someone have Skkorp or Snakester call the Bills and tell them what an awesome player L.J. Shelton is.

Len Pasquarelli's Tip Sheet

Don't you just hate flip-floppers? Yeah, us, too, except when we are forced to reverse positions on an issue. Like the much discussed trade of Buffalo Bills disgruntled tailback Travis Henry to the Arizona Cardinals for left offensive tackle L.J.Shelton, who clearly has fallen out of favor with coach Dennis Green and his staff. We reported in this space two weeks ago that the swap would almost certainly occur before the draft.

And now? We're not so sure. For one thing, upon further inspection, the Buffalo staff isn't nearly as enamored of Shelton as it once appeared to be. There are some Bills coaches who feel that Shelton would not be a starter in Buffalo, and that he probably would serve only as the team's No. 6 offensive lineman. That means, barring an unexpected event, the Bills plan to move starting center Trey Teague to left tackle, the position he played early in his career, with the Denver Broncos. It also probably means there will not be a straight player-for-player swap between the Bills and the Cardinals. The Bills still feel they need to get something more in return for Henry, a two-time 1,000-yard rusher, who lost his starting job to Willis McGahee last season, and who has vowed he will never again play in a Bills uniform.

So if Henry isn't shipped off to Arizona, where does he go? Maybe back to the Bills, who certainly can afford to keep him, especially with a palatable base salary of $1.25 million. Sure, there would have to be some fences mended for Henry to play in Buffalo again. But the rhetoric and posturing of March and April, such as that done by Henry a couple weeks ago, typically is long forgotten [and forgiven] when teams start doling out paychecks.

There also is the possibility that Buffalo could find a trade partner other than Arizona, and that notion isn't so far-fetched. A few other clubs have contacted Bills general manager Tom Donahoe and, while none has yet to approximate the ardor of the Cardinals, plenty can happen before the draft. Do not discount teams such as Tampa Bay, Seattle (if the Seahawks suddenly found a buyer for "franchise" tailback Shaun Alexander), Houston and Minnesota as potential suitors.

Maybe it's posturing, since this story obviously emanted from the Bills front office, but maybe L.J. is just massively overrated by a lot of the homers on this board.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would like my chances better with LJ at tackle than Trey Teague. I don't think i've ever heard of moving a C to LT before.If i was the Cards,i'd laugh in their face and say go ahead and move him.I'm sure Losman would appreciate that. Here's next year's scouting report on Buffalo: they tend to rollout to the right to avoid the disaster that is Trey Teague at LT.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but this piece is a joke. An absolute joke.

To think that Shelton isn't better than a converted C or an UDFA (that is Buffalo's options) is quite possibly the stupidist thing I have ever read!

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
Fine... let the Bills start Teague at OT and sit a pissed off Henry on the bench. If we keep LJ... the least we have is an excellent back-up for the evential injury on the O-line, and potentially a strong contender at G.

The Card's don't have to move on this. The Card's should call this poker hand... I think we have the better cards. Donahoe take take a flying leap at a rolling donut... we can see how his cards play out next season.

Shuesters

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This trade may or may not happen.

I can only gaurantee it will be of equal value to the Cards or nothing. Buffalo thinks they are entertaining a patsie that will cave. They are just a few years too late.

On opening day we will have the best RB available without succumbing to another teams desires or threats.

If this happens it's because we decided it was good for us. Who gives a crap if it's good for the bills. They seem to be negotiating from a point that we actually care if they get fair treatment or not.

We don't care, Let them deal with Henry. He can come to us for nothing next season. Provided our #8 this year doesn't make Henry obsolete. Which just may happen.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
I say just draft Benson or one of the Auburn runners.....then trade LJ for some type of draft pick....I'm sick of all this garbage coming out of Buffalo....they're acting like Henry is an Alexander or James....just pull it off the table and see if they crawl back

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Until it actually happens or doesnt happen I dont think a single media outlet has a clue about what is going on or what each team is offering or isnt offering or if it is dead or isnt dead and so on.

Yesterday ESPN Insider says its a lock to happen in a few days, now another ESPN scource is saying its dead. Next Monday we are going to see an article that says it will happen within the week, Then another source will say it will happen on draft day, and another one will say it will happen the day before the draft, and then it will reach full circle again and someone will say its dead again. and the saga continues.........

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it is dead. We need to keep Shelton and Clemment for depth on the line.

:soapbox:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think if it is dead, it's because TD won't blink and we KNOW neither Denny nor Rod are going to blink. I think (jmo) that if it were agreed on both ends as a straight-up player-for-player trade, it would be done by now. Either it's off because TD gave the final offer and it still involved swapping picks, or it's on hold for the same reason.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
I really hope that this is true. I want any of the big three backs in the draft over Henry. I would also rather not use the #8 pick on a cornerback.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Donahoe has friends at ESPN, so who knows what to believe.
I would think Green does too. However, all the chatter about the trade does seem to be coming from the Buffalo side of things.Green's only comments have been that there aren't going to be any draft picks involved and that they won't sign Henry to a long term deal until they see what they have in him. Buffalo is the one that keeps trying to de-value LJ and say they have no problem keeping Henry.Their side definitely seems more desperate than the Cards just by all their posturing.I mean,c'mon, now they're talking about moving a C to LT :stupid: . Desperation is setting in the Buffalo camp.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I'm sorry I am in the minority and think we DO have to make this deal. If we dont then we are forced to take RB at 8 and i dont care what you say about JJ but he is not a good enough back to start in the NFL yet. BTW we are pretty damn low at CB. I am not comfortable waiting til round 2 to get a CB. Teams would know what position we are drafting the first two rounds which means if they want someone they know we might take at CB they go trade above us.

This totally goes away from BAP. Henry is a 1,200 yard back and anyone here would be stupid to rather have shelton over him. Get it through your heads people our line has sucked and LJ was a starter on that line. He is not a great player he is average at best. Get a stud RB and a first round CB. I dont understand the love for LJ. We mine as well keep clement too then.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think that the draft becomes a much more wide open and fun day for the team if we take care of a RB need now. I'd like to see T. Henry in Cardinal fushia. Or lime-green and sand color, or whatever the new Cards jerseys are going to look like.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shuesters2 said:
Fine... let the Bills start Teague at OT and sit a pissed off Henry on the bench. If we keep LJ... the least we have is an excellent back-up for the evential injury on the O-line, and potentially a strong contender at G.

The Card's don't have to move on this. The Card's should call this poker hand... I think we have the better cards. Donahoe take take a flying leap at a rolling donut... we can see how his cards play out next season.

Shuesters

This may turn out to be one of the better deals we did not do. L.J. if he stays will get a lot of quality playing time. I still like this guy. Jeff you have always been a big proponent of having a great OL. Do you have a problem with keeping L.J.? The problem may be that DG has a problem.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
I would think Green does too. However, all the chatter about the trade does seem to be coming from the Buffalo side of things.Green's only comments have been that there aren't going to be any draft picks involved and that they won't sign Henry to a long term deal until they see what they have in him. Buffalo is the one that keeps trying to de-value LJ and say they have no problem keeping Henry.Their side definitely seems more desperate than the Cards just by all their posturing.I mean,c'mon, now they're talking about moving a C to LT :stupid: . Desperation is setting in the Buffalo camp.

We're not desperate, trust me. Donahoe will NOT make a deal unless it is perceived as being fair by himself and the coaches. Teague originally played LT in Denver and Tucker played well as a center last year. Donahoe had ESPN post that story to impress upon Green that we will NOT step down. Just another move in Donahoe's poker game. I DO hope this trade eventually happens, but if its doesn't, they'll still be in fine shape over at One Bills Drive.

Last edited:

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
We're not desperate, trust me. Donahoe will NOT make a deal unless it is perceived as being fair by himself and the coaches. Teague originally played LT in Denver and Tucker played well as a center last year. Donahoe had ESPN post that story to impress upon Green that we will NOT step down. Just another move in Donahoe's poker game. I DO hope this trade eventually happens, but if its doesn't, they'll still be in fine shape over at One Bills Drive.

Fair, Shelton for Henry would be a fair trade. Personally as a Cards fan I think your second round pick and Henry for Shelton would be fair, so does Denny. Whether it is fair to the Bills is a whole new story. Life ain't fair some times, neither are trades. I hope Denny makes a trade elsewhere, dealing with this idiot Donahue is like dealing with Rosenhaus.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Anybody here really care? A pick for LJ seems less and less likely. So which is better? Shelton on our line next year and young RB/Shipp or Henry/Shipp and a whole on the right side of our line to fill in the draft?

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Fair, Shelton for Henry would be a fair trade. Personally as a Cards fan I think your second round pick and Henry for Shelton would be fair, so does Denny. Whether it is fair to the Bills is a whole new story. Life ain't fair some times, neither are trades. I hope Denny makes a trade elsewhere, dealing with this idiot Donahue is like dealing with Rosenhaus.

Nobody makes fair trades.... everyone makes trades they think are slightly in their favor. Teams don't want to tread water. They want to trade a strength to fix a weakness. This trade does the later for Arizona, does it do that for Buf?