Todd Heap

Reaction score
checkmate on we're doing exactly what the Steelers do? How is the Steelers retaining 15-16 starters off their 2008 Super Bowl team anywhere close to us having 5 of 22 starters back from ours?

what planet do you live on that that's anywhere close to being the same?

The Steelers don't trade for big name QBs... they don't fill the holes they have with guys like Chansi Stuckey and chronically injured guys like Stewart Bradley. They keep their CORE... a core since the Super Bowl of 15 GUYS intact and draft GREAT to replace those let go. again, we've kept a core of 5 guys... FIVE and have almost no draft picks from the last 4 years who have shown any ability to step in a fill those holes.

I mean... you guys say Breaston's not a core player... ok... but you said the same thing about Dansby LAST YEAR and he was the Captain of the Defense and the best LBer on the team who could play every single down.

I thought he had only one injury? :shrug:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh and one more thing. The reason we were able to achieve that recent success? We kept our players!!!! Draft picks and Free Agents from 2003,2004,2005 and 2006 were still starting or playing key roles. We had the highest number of players with the longest tenure with one team in the entire NFL in 2009.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought he had only one injury? :shrug:

He missed a year with a leg injury. Played 12 games last year and then suffered a concussion.

(So obviously, if you listen to the naysayers, he has no business on this team)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference between winning and finishing last in the division was Karlos Dansby. If you don't believe me, ask around. ;)

Even if you're kidding, I believe you. He'd have improved our defense considerably and hopefully he would have kicked the snot out of DA every time the guy threw the game away.

Steve

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
to be honest, I won't be mad if we sign Heap. I'd just like to see us go after someone younger like a Boss who won't break the bank and has more juice in his legs.

I would love to see us get Zach Miller but we wont. That Housler kid could turn out to be very good. He has outstanding athletic ability for a TE. I would rather just go ahead and start Housler now and let him take his licks. By the end of the season he would have the system down and be comfortable starting.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Even if you're kidding, I believe you. He'd have improved our defense considerably and hopefully he would have kicked the snot out of DA every time the guy threw the game away.

Steve

Well, kicking the snot out him AFTER he threw the game is a bit pointless.

Karlos could never have made up for DA's ineptitude.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nice post. I'd argue we replaced Edge as well, as he wasn't that special during the Superbowl run. Washington didn't replace Dansby, but is a potential excellent talent. What gets me when I look at this is just how much of our Superbowl run was Warner. There is a lot of average on that roster with a few studs.

2008 Super Bowl team

OFFENCE
WR Larry Fitzgerald
LT Mike Gandy (retired)
LG Reggie Wells (free agent)
C Lyle Sendlein
RG Deuce Lutui (Cinci)
RT Levi Brown
TE Leonard Pope (free agent)
WR Anquan Boldin (Ravens)
QB Kurt Warner (retired)
RB Edgerrin James (retired)
FB Terrelle Smith (retired)

DEFENCE
RE Antonio Smith (Texans)
NT Bryan Robinson (free agent)
LE Darnell Dockett
LB Chike Okeafor (retired)
ILB Gerald Hayes ((cut 2011)
ROLB Karlos Dansby (Miami)
LCB Roderick Hood (Free agent)
RCB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Philly)
SS Adrian Wilson
FS Antrel Rolle (NY Giants)

5 retired

Additionally, the following were adequately replaced on the roster: Pope (King), Wells (Colledge), A. Smith (C. Campbell), B. Robinson (D. Williams), G. Hayes (Bradley), Hood (Toler), DRC (PP7), Rolle (Rhodes)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He missed a year with a leg injury. Played 12 games last year and then suffered a concussion.

(So obviously, if you listen to the naysayers, he has no business on this team)

the naysayers are saying we have no business DEPENDING on him to start, which is EXACTLY what we're going to do. and if you tell me we don't know that yet, why don't you go back to the time we let Dansby go, signed Lennon and told me I was being ridiculous and that he was simply a depth position and wasn't being depended on to play a major role and certainly not start. Then, you can ask me about my crystal ball like you usually do.

The realists opinion is that if he was signed as depth that would be one thing. you can take a flyer there on a guy who's missed 20 games in two years and hasn't looked good on the field in that year he did play, but we're depending on him to man the middle of the field and that's just terrifying... especially since we did the same thing with ILB position LAST YEAR depending on a chronically injured guy to man the middle. That guy is out of football this year and never amounted to anything last year. These things... they're not hard to predict.

but hey, the argument you projected on to the naysayers is much easier to argue against so keep putting words in people's mouths. that and defending the cardinals every move is what you do best. sadly, you've looked like a complete moron when it comes to being right 85% of the last 23 years.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
5 retired

Just to be clear the Cards released Okeafor, Edge, and Gandy. They didn't retire while on the Cards roster like Warner and Berry.

the following were adequately replaced on the roster:

Adequately replaced by guys who haven't played a down for us? Can I borrow your crystal ball I'd like to buy some lottery tickets tomorrow.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Free agent TE Todd Heap is visiting with the Jets on Sunday.

Heap was picked up from the airport by HC Rex Ryan, so the Jets apear to be putting on a full-court press. However, they have reportedly yet to make the 10-year veteran an offer. With Dustin Keller already entrenched in New York, it's far from an ideal landing spot for Heap.

rotoworld

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
The Cards absolutely cannot go into the season with Chansi Stuckey as a #2.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jets will sign Heap, they rolled out the red carpet for him and as mentioned above by sportznutt, Rex Ryan picked him up at the airport. Too bad it would have been a solid addition for the Cards.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Jets will sign Heap, they rolled out the red carpet for him and as mentioned above by sportznutt, Rex Ryan picked him up at the airport. Too bad it would have been a solid addition for the Cards.

Heap won't come cheap.

The Cardinals have an attractive combo now in Jeff King (blocker) and Rob Housler (receiver). And Jim Dray adds a little of both.

It probably would be better to spend the money on a WR.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Heap won't come cheap.

The Cardinals have an attractive combo now in Jeff King (blocker) and Rob Housler (receiver). And Jim Dray adds a little of both.

It probably would be better to spend the money on a WR.

Or just to hold onto it to keep "the powder dry". I'd love for them to target a legit OT. TE is simply not a need right now. OT and OLB are.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the naysayers are saying we have no business DEPENDING on him to start, which is EXACTLY what we're going to do. and if you tell me we don't know that yet, why don't you go back to the time we let Dansby go, signed Lennon and told me I was being ridiculous and that he was simply a depth position and wasn't being depended on to play a major role and certainly not start. Then, you can ask me about my crystal ball like you usually do.

The realists opinion is that if he was signed as depth that would be one thing. you can take a flyer there on a guy who's missed 20 games in two years and hasn't looked good on the field in that year he did play, but we're depending on him to man the middle of the field and that's just terrifying... especially since we did the same thing with ILB position LAST YEAR depending on a chronically injured guy to man the middle. That guy is out of football this year and never amounted to anything last year. These things... they're not hard to predict.

but hey, the argument you projected on to the naysayers is much easier to argue against so keep putting words in people's mouths. that and defending the cardinals every move is what you do best. sadly, you've looked like a complete moron when it comes to being right 85% of the last 23 years.

1. Lenon was to be a backup LB. He was pressed into service when Foote returned to Pitt. (2) I fully expect that Stewart Bradley will be the starting SILB. (3) You've been running around for days now, picking fights left and right, and showing all of the emotional control of a 16 year old in heat.

Well, I'm not going to get into it.

To paraphrase: 'Don't get into an argument with a self-appointed, all-knowing expert. They drag you down into endless point-counterpoint, and beat you with the persistence of a crazed mind."

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The difference between winning and finishing last in the division was Karlos Dansby. If you don't believe me, ask around. ;)
I did ask around. The concensus was that if there was one thing representing the difference between winning and finishing last in the division was not having a quality QB.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did ask around. The concensus was that if there was one thing representing the difference between winning and finishing last in the division was not having a quality QB.

Me thinks you missed the sarcasm from CC.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

That's the fashionable reason.

But you could also say that if the Cards had kept Dansby the Defense would have been at least 2 wins better and we'd have had a shot at first and wouldn't have finished last.

Nobody knows for sure but at least the QB question will be answered this season. Of course if the Defense blows again and the Cards finish 5-11 as a result the excuse will probably be that Kolb didn't have enough time to work with the offense and the new receivers and the new OC and so the lack of offense put too much pressure on the Defense.

But we're not alone in this. Few fans ever blame their Defense for poor seasons or even many single game defeats.

I still believe that even if the QB play had been average the team would have struggled to get to a position to win the Division. No team can lose the quantity of quality players in one off season the Cardinals did and not.