Todd Heap

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I would Love to see Heap finish his career here. King & Heap would complement each other well. Housler would not be rushed into action too early, and could learn from both.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think it would be nice if they even made an attempt to go after Miller. i'd like to see us go after Kevin Boss instead of Heap.

i think it would have been nice to get Breaston back, or go after James Jones, or Malcolm Floyd, neither of whom i was crazy about instead of complete and utter garbage like Chansi Stuckey.

I would have liked to see us try and get the ILB from Tennesse who's name escapes me right now instead of Bradley.

I would have like to see us try and get a ton of available CBs over a guy who's rated as literally the worst DB in the game who we just signed form Carolina.

I would have like to see us go out and try and Dahl at G, or retain Lutui.

and those are just the ones off the top of my head.

I think the problem is your expectation level. Maybe you get more upset then everybody else because you expect the Cardinals are going to be something they are not every offseason? You list all these big names, yet when have the Cardinals ever made that their M.O.? They go after the midlevel guys that have something to prove or fit a specific need. The Packers and Steelers NEVER go big in FA. Like the Cardinals they build through the draft, which is why the past 5 years you have seen the Cardinals take much bigger swings when picking. Sure the Packers and Steelers are better then us but at least the Cardinals have a clearly defined program and the stick too it.

They said they would be aggressive and they have been. It hasn't been the big names but they have done a good job addressing so far and they have repeated multiple times this morning they aren't done yet.

Goinng for the less splashy signings or not even jumping into FA at all has a much better track record then going the Redskins or Cowboys route.

Would I love to have Nmandi on this team? Sure would. Do I complain that the Cardinals don't go that route? No. Thats not who they are and they have been consistent in that. You irritation is your own fault, as you must just be setting yourself up for a fall or because you like to complain. One of the two.

And Jesus getbover Steve freaking Breaston. He's a #3 at best and this is proven as the one season we think he is a good player, is because he was havingopposingbdefense focus on Q and Fitz. Frankly I was disappointed he didn't step up more when given the opportunity and I am sure as he'll glad we didn't give him 5 years based on that production and those knees.

funny thing is you would probably be lambasting the team for giving him 5 years before the ink even dried. Great guy but Jerry Rice he is not.

Saying that I agree with you that we should have gone after Floyd or Jones.
but losing Breaston even if we dont, isn't the death blow you make it out to be.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
agree^ so glad we didn't sign breaston. Wish we had gone after Mike Sims-Walker but that is my ONLY complaint

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
I would Love to see Heap finish his career here. King & Heap would complement each other well. Housler would not be rushed into action too early, and could learn from both.

Our 2TE set with Heap & Housler would surely off-set the loss of Breaston. More importantly it will create match-up issues and take some heat off of Larry Fitzgerald.

If the Cardinals sign Heap I would really be estatic with that move. I agree with Red Valley 100% that Heap would be the best TE in Arizona probably since Freddie Jones or Jay Novacek.

Go Cardinals!
~Tim in NJ

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Has anybody established that the Cards have even inquired about him?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our 2TE set with Heap & Housler would surely off-set the loss of Breaston. More importantly it will create match-up issues and take some heat off of Larry Fitzgerald.

If the Cardinals sign Heap I would really be estatic with that move. I agree with Red Valley 100% that Heap would be the best TE in Arizona probably since Freddie Jones or Jay Novacek.

Go Cardinals!
~Tim in NJ

I agree with this. Would really help take the sting out of losing Breaston and the weak replacement. Heap just makes plays. Just what we need.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Like the Cardinals they build through the draft,

And Jesus getbover Steve freaking Breaston. He's a #3 at best and this is proven as the one season we think he is a good player, is because he was havingopposingbdefense focus on Q and Fitz. Frankly I was disappointed he didn't step up more when given the opportunity and I am sure as he'll glad we didn't give him 5 years based on that production and those knees.

This is what I don't understand. How can you give credit to the Cardinals for building through the draft and then give them credit for getting rid of almost all their draft picks as soon as their first contract is up? We draft the guy: its a great pick. We let him go: he wasn't any good and they made the right move getting rid of him. Its great that they recognized that the guy wasn't any good and didn't waste a lot of money keeping him around. A good thing, except when it applies to 80% of your draft picks.

I guess its like this. The Cards want to build through the draft but unfortunately they are not any good at developing those draft picks and are doomed to be 5-11 with 'em and 5-11 without 'em with an occasional exception for the rest of our lives. Because they aren't going to get any star free agents to replace their busted draft picks. :(

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I don't understand. How can you give credit to the Cardinals for building through the draft and then give them credit for getting rid of almost all their draft picks as soon as their first contract is up? We draft the guy its a great pick. We let him go he wasn't any good and they made the right move getting rid of him. Its great that they recognized that the guy wasn't any good and didn't waste a lot of money keeping him around. A good thing, except when it applies to 80% of your draft picks.

I guess its like this. The Cards want to build through the draft but unfortunately they are not any good at developing those draft picks and are doomed to be 5-11 with 'em and 5-11 without 'em with an occasional exception for the rest of our lives. Because they aren't going to get any star free agents to replace their busted draft picks. :(
And the Cards struggle to keep the same coach and same systems for more than 5 years so that just compounds the problem.
number1.gif

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You list all these big names, yet when have the Cardinals ever made that their M.O.? They go after the midlevel guys

But wait. They just used a busted draft pick to get a big name player to replace another of their busted draft picks bringing in Kolb. They used draft picks they got from trading one of their disgruntled draft picks to replace another busted draft pick bringing in Rhodes. Maybe the Cards aren't as averse to getting big name players as some of you think.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And the Cards struggle to keep the same coach and same systems for more than 5 years so that just compounds the problem.
number1.gif

You can ride for $25 a week.

Attachments

• carousel.jpg
    carousel.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 142

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is your expectation level. Maybe you get more upset then everybody else because you expect the Cardinals are going to be something they are not every offseason? You list all these big names, yet when have the Cardinals ever made that their M.O.?

Huh? almost NONE of those guys are big names. Tulloch is a solid LB, not a star. Boss is nothing near a big name. Malcolm Floyd and James Jones aren't big names. they're second tier WRs. Dahl isn't a big name either. i'm not advocating we sign Nmadi, Cromartie, Santonio Holmes... those are BIG names. Simply knowing what guys names ARE because they have made some kind of impact on this league doesn't mean they're "big names". it just means they're contributors as opposed to pond scum players like Stuckey, completely ineffective and ridiculously injury prone like Bradley.

They go after the midlevel guys that have something to prove or fit a specific need.

they go after the cheapest guys they can find and hope for a miracle.

The Packers and Steelers NEVER go big in FA. Like the Cardinals they build through the draft, which is why the past 5 years you have seen the Cardinals take much bigger swings when picking. Sure the Packers and Steelers are better then us but at least the Cardinals have a clearly defined program and the stick too it.

huh? they stick to their program? That's supposed to be a good thing when they've shown their program SUCKS?! That makes zero sense. it's like... they really do a bad job... but at least they do it really bad! seriously, you just can't compare what we do to the Steelers or Pack. those teams draft great and then KEEP the majority of the guys who produce for them. Case in point, this Steelers team still has 16 of 22 starters from it's 2008 Super Bowl team. We have 5. FIVE. We DID draft like them and when it came to show people the money... we said "screw our draft choices! we're going to replace ALL of them with as you call them "mid-level guys who have something to prove" or like I call them... guys who will be much cheaper.

and as the exodus began en masse last season, we got what we paid for and I feel like we're going to again.

They said they would be aggressive and they have been.

sorry, but this looks a HELL of a lot like they're addressing "the belly" of the team... just like they did in 2003. You can't address the belly of the team if there's no skeleton, muscles or flesh around it.

It hasn't been the big names but they have done a good job addressing so far and they have repeated multiple times this morning they aren't done yet.

that and a dollar...

Goinng for the less splashy signings or not even jumping into FA at all has a much better track record then going the Redskins or Cowboys route.

a) The Cowboys have been MUCH more successful then us and other teams who dip into FA and big names have as well. the Pats, New Orleans, The Jets, the Eagles all use FA to help them in major ways. they also use the draft. the two AREN'T mutually exclusive ideas.

and the Redskins don't really belong in any discussion regarding anything. Their owner lives on planet ******.

b) our track record doing things "our way" is futility in 19 of 23 seasons and the one period of time where we were successful because of the way we had drafted, we pushed the overwhelming majority of those players out the door in some way shape or form.

Would I love to have Nmandi on this team? Sure would. Do I complain that the Cardinals don't go that route? No. Thats not who they are and they have been consistent in that. You irritation is your own fault, as you must just be setting yourself up for a fall or because you like to complain. One of the two.

if i complained for ONE SECOND about ANYONE the level of Nmadi, you'd have a point... but I haven't. NOT ONCE. Again, guys like Kevin Boss, James Jones, Tulloch aren't BIG NAMES in any universe except kool-aid cardinals fan who have to rationlize why we go bargain basement shopping instead of looking at the actual second-tier FAs.

my irritation is my own fault? sorry that I expect a team that says it's doing business different to... you know... do business differently.

okay.

funny thing is you would probably be lambasting the team for giving him 5 years before the ink even dried.

funny thing is you talking out of your butt. I was on record a ton of times saying I thought Breaston was just one more in a long line of home-grown talent who this team couldn't afford to get away, especially if his contract was reasonable and 10 million guaranteed over 5 years is pretty reasonable to me.

Saying that I agree with you that we should have gone after Floyd or Jones.
but losing Breaston even if we dont, isn't the death blow you make it out to be.

right... cause losing Breaston happened in a vaccuum and we haven't lost 17 starters from the Super Bowl in just the last 18 months. give me a break. it's just one more piece of what could have been a good team flushed down the toilet.

now go ahead and put more ridiculous arguments into my mouth like I expected us to sign the top 5 FAs, trade for Michael Vick and bring back Vince Lombardi from the grave so you can continue to ignore just how pathetic this team has been in keeping it's Super Bowl team together and just how bad the replacements for those guys have been and probably will be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But wait. They just used a busted draft pick to get a big name player to replace another of their busted draft picks bringing in Kolb. They used draft picks they got from trading one of their disgruntled draft picks to replace another busted draft pick bringing in Rhodes. Maybe the Cards aren't as averse to getting big name players as some of you think.

this is exactly the point.

there almost NEVER seems to be a plan at all.

we spend really big money to finally get a QB... but then limit him to one legitimate option of offense?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This is what I don't understand. How can you give credit to the Cardinals for building through the draft and then give them credit for getting rid of almost all their draft picks as soon as their first contract is up? We draft the guy: its a great pick. We let him go: he wasn't any good and they made the right move getting rid of him. Its great that they recognized that the guy wasn't any good and didn't waste a lot of money keeping him around. A good thing, except when it applies to 80% of your draft picks.

Again thats the same thing the Steelers and Packers do. No team keeps all of their draft picks. You get the most out of them while they are here and if they are important to the team - you pay them. If they are good but you can replace them with another draft pick or a cheaper vet - the you do that. it's part of the churn. DRC wasn't getting another contract here. NOt with us drafting Peterson. Neither should Breaston. There is a better then strong chance one of Doucet, Roberts, or Stuckey will replace Steves EXACT statistical contribution this upcoming year.

I don't get this stupid argument that K9 loves that "Oh we let all our draft picks walk" .... Actually we keep the ones that are good (dockett, Wilson, Fitz, Lyle) and the ones that were okay but can be easily replaced we let walk. I mean Deuce and Breaston contributed but the fact is they were worth more to other teams then they were here.

The Packers just cut 3 guys they drafted and let Colledge and Barnett walk. All of those homegrown guys "contributed" to a Super Bowl team as so many like to lament here about 2008. The Steelers let drafted players like Max Starks go, they let Santonio Holmes go etc. But they sure as he'll didn't let Big Ben, or Polamalu, or Hampton go.

THOSE are core players. THOSE guys get paid and you whine about when they leave.

Not Steve Breaston.

It's a silly argument. Welcome to the NFL. Not every guy you draft will be a core player and you can't keep everyone. So let's stop worrying about how many draft picks walk out the door, and let's be more concerned that we continue to keep the players that are good.

THAT'S how you run a program. And by the way I said the Packers win more then us and follow that program. That's not entirely true. We have similar regular season records, more division titles, and the same amount of playoff wins the last three years, not to mention a head to head playoff win.

The biggest difference is they closed out the Steelers :)

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Again thats the same thing the Steelers and Packers do. No team keeps all of their draft picks. You get the most out of them while they are here and if they are important to the team - you pay them. If they are good but you can replace them with another draft pick or a cheaper vet - the you do that. it's part of the churn. DRC wasn't getting another contract here. NOt with us drafting Peterson. Neither should Breaston. There is a better then strong chance one of Doucet, Roberts, or Stuckey will replace Steves EXACT statistical contribution this upcoming year.

I don't get this stupid argument that K9 loves that "Oh we let all our draft picks walk" .... Actually we keep the ones that are good (dockett, Wilson, Fitz, Lyle) and the ones that were okay but can be easily replaced we let walk. I mean Deuce and Breaston contributed but the fact is they were worth more to other teams then they were here.

The Packers just cut 3 guys they drafted and let Colledge and Barnett walk. All of those homegrown guys "contributed" to a Super Bowl team as so many like to lament here about 2008. The Steelers let drafted players like Max Starks go, they let Santonio Holmes go etc. But they sure as he'll didn't let Big Ben, or Polamalu, or Hampton go.

THOSE are core players. THOSE guys get paid and you whine about when they leave.

Not Steve Breaston.

It's a silly argument. Welcome to the NFL. Not every guy you draft will be a core player and you can't keep everyone. So let's stop worrying about how many draft picks walk out the door, and let's be more concerned that we continue to keep the players that are good.

THAT'S how you run a program. And by the way I said the Packers win more then us and follow that program. That's not entirely true. We have similar regular season records, more division titles, and the same amount of playoff wins.

:notworthy:

Checkmate.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not Steve Breaston.

THAT'S how you run a program. And by the way I said the Packers win more then us and follow that program. That's not entirely true. We have similar regular season records, more division titles, and the same amount of playoff wins the last three years, not to mention a head to head playoff win.

number1.gif

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Any news on heap?? As of right now this is pure speculation, is there any concrete evidence that we are signing heap???????

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
we spend really big money to finally get a QB... but then limit him to one legitimate option of offense?
This I agree with. We go all out on the QB we want, then we better give him all the weapons he needs to be good. We need a legitimate #2 WR, and a GOOD OT added.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:notworthy:

Checkmate.

checkmate on we're doing exactly what the Steelers do? How is the Steelers retaining 15-16 starters off their 2008 Super Bowl team anywhere close to us having 5 of 22 starters back from ours?

what planet do you live on that that's anywhere close to being the same?

The Steelers don't trade for big name QBs... they don't fill the holes they have with guys like Chansi Stuckey and chronically injured guys like Stewart Bradley. They keep their CORE... a core since the Super Bowl of 15 GUYS intact and draft GREAT to replace those let go. again, we've kept a core of 5 guys... FIVE and have almost no draft picks from the last 4 years who have shown any ability to step in a fill those holes.

I mean... you guys say Breaston's not a core player... ok... but you said the same thing about Dansby LAST YEAR and he was the Captain of the Defense and the best LBer on the team who could play every single down.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not Steve Breaston.

It's a silly argument.

a silly argument is whittling down the conversation to JUST Steve Breaston while ignoring the mass departure of 17 starters from our successful teams (but apparently NONE of the core) except for Fitz, Dockett and an aging AW.

now THAT is a silly argument.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Todd Heap would be a nice pickup. Having him to mentor Housler would be nice to. I can't see how Spach would even make the team if Heap was signed. We already have Housler, King and Dray.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Todd Heap would be a nice pickup. Having him to mentor Housler would be nice to. I can't see how Spach would even make the team if Heap was signed. We already have Housler, King and Dray.

to be honest, I won't be mad if we sign Heap. I'd just like to see us go after someone younger like a Boss who won't break the bank and has more juice in his legs.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
a silly argument is whittling down the conversation to JUST Steve Breaston while ignoring the mass departure of 17 starters from our successful teams (but apparently NONE of the core) except for Fitz, Dockett and an aging AW.

now THAT is a silly argument.

2008 Super Bowl team

OFFENCE
WR Larry Fitzgerald
LT Mike Gandy (retired)
LG Reggie Wells (free agent)
C Lyle Sendlein
RG Deuce Lutui (Cinci)
RT Levi Brown
TE Leonard Pope (free agent)
WR Anquan Boldin (Ravens)
QB Kurt Warner (retired)
RB Edgerrin James (retired)
FB Terrelle Smith (retired)

DEFENCE
RE Antonio Smith (Texans)
NT Bryan Robinson (free agent)
LE Darnell Dockett
LB Chike Okeafor (retired)
ILB Gerald Hayes ((cut 2011)
ROLB Karlos Dansby (Miami)
LCB Roderick Hood (Free agent)
RCB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Philly)
SS Adrian Wilson
FS Antrel Rolle (NY Giants)

5 retired

Additionally, the following were adequately replaced on the roster: Pope (King), Wells (Colledge), A. Smith (C. Campbell), B. Robinson (D. Williams), G. Hayes (Bradley), Hood (Toler), DRC (PP7), Rolle (Rhodes)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Not Steve Breaston.

And after we beat them we let key draft picks leave and finish dead last in the weakest Division in the NFL while they win the Super Bowl.