Toler Torn ACL

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeff Gollin must not have seen this yet because he has stated on several occassions be careful of dealing away players at a position of strength because this is what typically happens.

I was expecting Toler to break out this year since he seems perfectly fitted to Horton's scheme and what he wants skill wise in a CB.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? You've been ripping Toler all preseason.

i haven't been ripping him. just saying he's unproven... which he is/was. there's a difference Renz. and if he was our starter, losing him should mean the team should feel SOMEWHAT of a pinch regardless of what i think (or whatever you want to project me to think), no?

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Definitely sucks, but we still have four guys that are at least serviceable. AJ Jefferson, Peterson, Marshall, and Adams...could be worse. Our D gave up what, 20ppg in '09 with DRC and the dream team combo of McFadden and Ralph Brown. I hope PP and AJ have a learning curve similar to DRC, because their will be growing pains when starting a rookie and a second year player that is essentially a rookie when it comes to playing time

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I dont know why but I posted yesterday, I feared there was more to his injury after watching the replay & seeing his knee give way without any contact...it's usually not a good sign. mother ****er:bang:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
i haven't been ripping him. just saying he's unproven... which he is/was. there's a difference Renz. and if he was our starter, losing him should mean the team should feel SOMEWHAT of a pinch regardless of what i think (or whatever you want to project me to think), no?

The two starting Corners and the #1 Nickel CB for the Cards last season are gone. But hey no big deal.

5-11 with 'em 5-11 without 'em.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Definitely sucks, but we still have four guys that are at least serviceable. AJ Jefferson, Peterson, Marshall, and Adams...could be worse. Our D gave up what, 20ppg in '09 with DRC and the dream team combo of McFadden and Ralph Brown. I hope PP and AJ have a learning curve similar to DRC, because their will be growing pains when starting a rookie and a second year player that is essentially a rookie when it comes to playing time

Do we even have enough CBs left on the roster for the game Thursday?

What is the status on Money Mike's rehab anyway?

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Having torn both my ACL's in my life time, I feel for Toler. Hope he has a great doc and does a good job. Really tough injury. :S

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad about Toler.

Does anyone know if there is a pecking order for teams claiming players that are cut getting down to the 53 man roster? Sadly the saying, never can have enough CBs is true. Also, is it too late to make a trade for a CB?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Too bad about Toler.

Does anyone know if there is a pecking order for teams claiming players that are cut getting down to the 53 man roster? Sadly the saying, never can have enough CBs is true. Also, is it too late to make a trade for a CB?

For players with less than 4 years of experience, the pecking order is based on worst record from the previous season. For players with 4 years or more of experience, they become FAs.

We could trade for a CB if need be but I doubt we will

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Too bad about Toler.

Isn't it in draft order? Don't know for sure.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you actually watch him play? Aside from Rhodes he was our most consistant DB, also teams we not attacking him this pre season for a reason. Very trollish.

Dude....Mulli is not a troller. He's merely pointing out that USUALLY someone will makethat kind of a statement.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While that is indeed a bummer, if it had to happen, then having it be this early into the season is preferential to late in the year. He will have a chance to recover and rehab in preparation for next season. Meanwhile, Money Mike will be coming off the IR at some point, and will help with zone coverage when he does. This does not necessarily mean doom is what our defense will undergo. It may mean that both Marshall and Peterson will need to accelerate the pace that they were learning at. Both will be needed earlier rather than later now.

I was thinking the same thing. There will be close to 1000 players cut at the end of the week. I will be shocked if we don't see the "all in" Cardinal front office make some moves.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. There will be close to 1000 players cut at the end of the week. I will be shocked if we don't see the "all in" Cardinal front office make some moves.

Just watch for the Steelers cut list. If there's no one on it we can use the Cards won't bring anyone in.

:p

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

I don't know how you translate "doesn't feel a pressing need" to not feeling "somewhat of a pinch."

The fact that he said they are looking for the position indicates somewhat of a pinch in my mind. Pressing need sounds more like "We'll trade whatever we have to to get someone even if it means cutting quality players."

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Any team counting on Mike Adams as anything more than a dime back is in trouble. There will be some depth guys that get cut. If I were the Cards, I would see what Carolina wants for Chris Gamble. I don't know about the new staff but Gamble fell out of favor with the old regime.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
As long as there's a pass rush there, it doesn't matter whether you have PP and A.J. Jefferson or PP and Greg Toler. Without a pass rush none of it matters.

Sucks that he's out. Moves Michael Adams a heartbeat closer to a starting job.

EDIT: also keep in mind that the Cards' "nickel" package in the past has been with three safeties and two corners. So we're likely to see more of Richard Marshall in 6 DB packages than in the nickel.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For players with less than 4 years of experience, the pecking order is based on worst record from the previous season. For players with 4 years or more of experience, they become FAs.

We could trade for a CB if need be but I doubt we will

Thanks for your and Duckjake's response. Personally I would be willing to trade for a higher caliber CB than one might be waived.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe the Eagles will want 4 #1s for Samual now

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Fun Facts:

Most passing yards allowed in coverage (2010):

9. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (788)
12. Greg Toler (719)
14. Richard Marshall (695)

4. Bryant McFadden (839)
19. Ike Taylor (677)

Most First Downs/Touchdowns allowed

8T. DRC (37)
8T. Richard Marshall (37)
19. Greg Toler (31)

2 Bryant McFadden (40)

Most YAC Allowed in Coverage:

4. Michael Adams (5.7)

Most Penalties (Defense)

5. Richard Marshall (10, 105 yds)
15T. DRC (8, 88 yds)

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As long as there's a pass rush there, it doesn't matter whether you have PP and A.J. Jefferson or PP and Greg Toler. Without a pass rush none of it matters.

Sucks that he's out. Moves Michael Adams a heartbeat closer to a starting job.EDIT: also keep in mind that the Cards' "nickel" package in the past has been with three safeties and two corners. So we're likely to see more of Richard Marshall in 6 DB packages than in the nickel.

That would be two heartbeats. He's number 4 on the depth chart.