Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went and looked. I have never seen one movie or tv show Katie Holmes has been in.. Couldn't for the life of me think of what she has been in..

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I just went and looked. I have never seen one movie or tv show Katie Holmes has been in.. Couldn't for the life of me think of what she has been in..

TV Show: Dawson's Creek?
Movie: Phone Booth with Colin Farrell? And Batman Begins was the biggest one.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee was just kidding, of course he was a devout watcher of Dawson's Creek!

FREE KATIE! RUN KATIE, RUN!!!!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TV Show: Dawson's Creek?
Movie: Phone Booth with Colin Farrell? And Batman Begins was the biggest one.

Now why would I ever have watched Dawsons Creek?

Plus I googled her resume before I said I never saw anything with her in it.. I really havent..

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee was just kidding, of course he was a devout watcher of Dawson's Creek!

FREE KATIE! RUN KATIE, RUN!!!!

No no no.. I was a devout watcher of Beverly Hills 90210.. The original one.. Me and my boys used to drink Colt 45's everyday (the reruns).. When we had no jobs.. haha

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Interesting fact I read on MSNBC.com: even though he didn't file for the divorce this time, Tom Cruise separated from all 3 wives when they were 33; and, assuming the divorce is not finalized by December, legally divorced all 3 wives when they were 34.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting fact I read on MSNBC.com: even though he didn't file for the divorce this time, Tom Cruise separated from all 3 wives when they were 33; and, assuming the divorce is not finalized by December, legally divorced all 3 wives when they were 34.

All actors are weirdos.. Non of them shoud be taken seriosly.. After all. they are lying about their lives.. Think about it..

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Uh, yeah, how about you're wrong? If you're talking about their marriage, then I'm out of line, because I have no idea about that, but scientology is some messed up stuff.

You know nothing about it except what the media and Wikipedia has force-fed you. Just like 95% of the population.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course it doesn't. Most of that stuff (about Scientology) is completely made up.

I used to go out of my way to avoid the people going in and out of their big blue building in Hollywood. And it wasn't easy because it was right next to the Self Realization Fellowship which had a great little garden I liked to sit in. That group would let me come and go and sit and read and did nothing more than smile and nod. Can't say the same for the Scientologists.

Ru Katie, Run.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course it doesn't. Most of that stuff (about Scientology) is completely made up.

Maybe I don't know what you are referring to specifically but many reports had KH and her family worried about that aspect of the marriage.

There are several good books you can read Chap about Scientology. Some written from ex-members of the religion. Have you read them? I have read a couple and many of things they I have heard about the religion are in fact part of the religion. I think your comments are a gross over exaggeration that many of things you hear are not true.

Maybe if you were more specific?

Also, I find it curious she is seeking full custody.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
chap, are you a scientologist?

No, I am not, but many of my friends are, and honestly they are no different than anyone else.

They admittedly have some strange aspects to their religion, but no stranger than Mormonism or Catholocism.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I am not, but many of my friends are, and honestly they are no different than anyone else.

They admittedly have some strange aspects to their religion, but no stranger than Mormonism or Catholocism.

It seems to me you taking this more as a condemnation of the people in the religion which I don't think anybody is saying. Family is family and friends are friends regardless if their religion beliefs don't align with my own. I have a family member who turned to Mormonism and I don't think any less of her as a result. Her and her husband are great people.

Mormonism and Scientology have very cult like and odd things about the religion. Having friends or family members in those religions doesn't make that any less true. I think people are simply saying that when two people are in a relationship with competing religious beliefs it can be a factor. Stories about Kate's reservations and dislikes about the church's tactics could have been a factor. To say that those religions are no different than most is simply not true. My family left the Catholic church when I was young and comparing those regions to even the modern catholics is a stretch.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Eyes wide shut much? I'm not impugning your friends or anything, but the religion is a crackpot nutjob religion that is often overbearing and dangerous. As posted, even a prominent former member of that 'religion' agrees. I put 'religion' in quotes because it's just a crock of crap. Hubbard was quoted prominently as saying the best way to make money is to create a fake religion. And yet mindless drones join up in droves. Stupid, really.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much it will impact his career, but he's crippling Katie's career. Already had her pull out of some projects.

Some people are speculating that this is a main reason for the divorce. I mean, really, what have we seen her do since the marriage?

I can't wait until we don't have to hear about these two every other second. I give the over/under on their marriage 8 months ... and that's being generous.

Guess I should have taken the over. Who knew?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Eyes wide shut much? I'm not impugning your friends or anything, but the religion is a crackpot nutjob religion that is often overbearing and dangerous. As posted, even a prominent former member of that 'religion' agrees. I put 'religion' in quotes because it's just a crock of crap. Hubbard was quoted prominently as saying the best way to make money is to create a fake religion. And yet mindless drones join up in droves. Stupid, really.

This will be the last I post on this.

I know you're not an all-out bigot, but it's sad how bigotry has become the rule of the day, especially in the media--which by extension translates to people like you who are easily manipulated by mainstream media. The biggest opponent of Scientology is the psychiatric medical field--they are extremists when it comes to medicating children--they think it's totally wrong and that ADHD in a 4-year-old is a fallacy. That of course ticks off the psychiatric community to no end because who wants a whole group talking about awful your practice is--towards children, no less? So the media, which is heavily influenced by special interests like the medical community, takes an anti-Scientology stand because their backers force them to--leading to the people that consume it (like you and others) to believe everything you hear. I was like you at one time, I didn't know any Scientologists (well, that is, I didn't know any that I was aware of as being Scientologist), but now that I do, I understand it a lot more, and it's no different than anything else.

But calling my friends mindless drones isn't "impugning"? What about the multitude of other religions out there that are far more extreme? Catholicism is extremely radical in what they practice, but since millions more practice it, it's more tolerable, right?

Scientology is really more of a moral code than anything, more similar to Hinduism than traditional Christianity because it's based on human spirit rather than an all-knowning being. I will probably never become one, because like most religions, it is pretty expensive to practice (and I dislike ANY organized religion). Yes, it is money-making, like anything else, but you do know that the Vatican and the Catholic Church is the richest organization in the history of the world, right?

Anyway, although I'm disappointed in your close-mindedness, I definitely understand it. You have the right to think as you do, even though I think you are wrong in your reasons and even in the proof you try to provide. It's like that for most people who spend their time railing on something that a) they don't understand fully and b) has no bearing on their personal life whatsoever.

Please quote where Hubbard said that Scientology was "fake". I've glanced over some of their reading materials at some friends' request, and nothing in it is fake--it's all about being a better person and enriching your life. There's no aliens or spaceships or anything like that. That's just a falsehood perpetrated by people that see Hubbard as a Sci-Fi writer who created Scientology, so naturally, his "religion" must incorporate aliens, right? Ridiculous.

I don't expect to change your mind, and this is not a good thread/location for this, but I wanted to put this out there. Again, I am NOT a Scientologist, but I do know at least 50, probably more like 75 of them and none of them are crazy nutjobs--most of those I know are Christian. :) Just Kidding... And before anyone gets upset, my family is predominantly Protestant, so not everyone are nutjobs.

As for Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. I DON'T CARE. As long as Cruise keeps making fun movies, I'm good.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I don't know what you are referring to specifically but many reports had KH and her family worried about that aspect of the marriage.

There are several good books you can read Chap about Scientology. Some written from ex-members of the religion. Have you read them? I have read a couple and many of things they I have heard about the religion are in fact part of the religion. I think your comments are a gross over exaggeration that many of things you hear are not true.

Maybe if you were more specific?

Also, I find it curious she is seeking full custody.

I saw something on Saturday that said sources indicate it was in fact her discomfort with his religion that caused her to file for divorce.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've glanced over some of their reading materials at some friends' request, and nothing in it is fake--it's all about being a better person and enriching your life.... I do know at least 50, probably more like 75 of them....

I'm kind of surprised that you know 50 plus Scientologists and all you've done is glance at their reading materials. ALL of the Scientologists I've known are forever haranguing people to go in and get audited or sit through the lectures. I've seen a lot of friendships fizzle out because the Scientologists were so adamant about the non-Scientologists joining up. (Or are these people you work with?)

You must have a heck of a strong will. Or something.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw something on Saturday that said sources indicate it was in fact her discomfort with his religion that caused her to file for divorce.

Which was my point. That religion is extreme in practice compared to most religions and if she had problems with it you could see how easily it could play into marital problems.

Ofcourse this all speculation until she makes a statement.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This will be the last I post on this.

I know you're not an all-out bigot, but it's sad how bigotry has become the rule of the day, especially in the media--which by extension translates to people like you who are easily manipulated by mainstream media. The biggest opponent of Scientology is the psychiatric medical field--they are extremists when it comes to medicating children--they think it's totally wrong and that ADHD in a 4-year-old is a fallacy. That of course ticks off the psychiatric community to no end because who wants a whole group talking about awful your practice is--towards children, no less? So the media, which is heavily influenced by special interests like the medical community, takes an anti-Scientology stand because their backers force them to--leading to the people that consume it (like you and others) to believe everything you hear. I was like you at one time, I didn't know any Scientologists (well, that is, I didn't know any that I was aware of as being Scientologist), but now that I do, I understand it a lot more, and it's no different than anything else.

But calling my friends mindless drones isn't "impugning"? What about the multitude of other religions out there that are far more extreme? Catholicism is extremely radical in what they practice, but since millions more practice it, it's more tolerable, right?

Scientology is really more of a moral code than anything, more similar to Hinduism than traditional Christianity because it's based on human spirit rather than an all-knowning being. I will probably never become one, because like most religions, it is pretty expensive to practice (and I dislike ANY organized religion). Yes, it is money-making, like anything else, but you do know that the Vatican and the Catholic Church is the richest organization in the history of the world, right?

Anyway, although I'm disappointed in your close-mindedness, I definitely understand it. You have the right to think as you do, even though I think you are wrong in your reasons and even in the proof you try to provide. It's like that for most people who spend their time railing on something that a) they don't understand fully and b) has no bearing on their personal life whatsoever.

Please quote where Hubbard said that Scientology was "fake". I've glanced over some of their reading materials at some friends' request, and nothing in it is fake--it's all about being a better person and enriching your life. There's no aliens or spaceships or anything like that. That's just a falsehood perpetrated by people that see Hubbard as a Sci-Fi writer who created Scientology, so naturally, his "religion" must incorporate aliens, right? Ridiculous.

I don't expect to change your mind, and this is not a good thread/location for this, but I wanted to put this out there. Again, I am NOT a Scientologist, but I do know at least 50, probably more like 75 of them and none of them are crazy nutjobs--most of those I know are Christian. :) Just Kidding... And before anyone gets upset, my family is predominantly Protestant, so not everyone are nutjobs.

As for Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. I DON'T CARE. As long as Cruise keeps making fun movies, I'm good.

Hey Chap, thanks for keeping it cool and civil. I was purposefully not trying to insult your friends--they are likely not in positions of power within the 'church'. Blind religious fervor baffles me in ANY religion, but especially in Scientology. I cannot see how anyone can accept Scientology as real, but people make all kinds of decisions I can't understand in real life, so I can see that regular people can buy into it without knowing all of the stuff that goes on. And I'm sorry, but Scientology isn't just some misunderstood religion that never does anything that anyone dares say about it. Sure, there are probably simple differences in philosophy and opinion, like you talk about in the medical field, but there is way, way, WAY too much information out there, directly from people that have been deep in the organization, to just say that it's all propaganda. They have some extremely radical and awful practices, like shunning family members, trying to almost completely control a person's will in documented cases, kidnapping, and others. It has happened unless you want to discredit every single Scientologist that has ever told secrets.

Oh, and on Hubbard's part, he didn't say that when Scientology was already around. He said that before he ever created Scientology. I mean, I already feel like a lot of religion out there is fraudulent, but when a guy openly says the best way to make money is to create a religion, and then goes on and does it...AND makes bucket loads of money off of it, you can't possibly believe it is anything but a sham. Especially given the massive amounts of money you have to put in to 'progress' in the religion. Contrary to what you say, you don't have to pay a bunch of money to really get into organized religion.

I don't expect you to change your tune, though, so I think we can just agree to disagree :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan