Tony Jefferson

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Every coach and scout in the NFL saw that tape---

But---here's the thing: there isn't a FS in the world who has much of a chance to tackle Tavon Austin in the wide-open middle of the field when he is at full speed. The best hope is to use the sideline as an extra defender and funnel Austin out of bounds.

Certainly that tape didn't help any of the Oklahoma players.

However, in Tony Jefferson's case there were a number of factors as to why he wasn't drafted:

1. Bob Stoops revealed after the season that Jefferson played through a bad and nagging ankle injury for much of the season. There was a hint of a bit of a shoulder problem as well.

2. There was a sketchy report/rumor amongst scouts and GMs that after the season Jefferson was "trashed" by Stoops and the Sooner coaches for a lack of a work ethic, conditioning and commitment to the weight room. Stoops came out and adamantly denied the report---but the perception was already working against Jefferson...as some still believed the initial report.

3. The poor 40 time, as you state---kind of sealed the deal.

All this said, Jefferson, when healthy and in shape, has real talent. he's versatile, which is a real asset in today's game. he should have a chip on his shoulder---and the Cardinals are hoping they found a good one in TJ.

I don't think the above, bolded issue was ever completely resolved, but at the tail end of the story, a lot of people were saying that it was one of the coaches that Stoops had recently let go. We've had a bit of a house cleaning over the last couple of years. Might have come from someone with an ax to grind.

Unfortunately, the Big XII hasn't fielded a decent defense for a while, which kind of discounts the conference accolades TJ received, and he was part of a pretty underwhelming 2012 OU defensive unit.

Still, even as a total OU homer, I think we have to be a little excited about picking him up as an UDFA. Everyone always talked about him playing on Sundays, and on the field, he generally looked the part.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Jefferson is actually a much better tackler than people think. He plays a physical style. Good in press coverage and good playing over the top. The talent is there.

Mitch--I can't believe people are knocking him for tackling. He led the nation at his position in # of tackles last season!

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score
Every coach and scout in the NFL saw that tape---

But---here's the thing: there isn't a FS in the world who has much of a chance to tackle Tavon Austin in the wide-open middle of the field when he is at full speed. The best hope is to use the sideline as an extra defender and funnel Austin out of bounds.

No one wants to hear it, but if this is true then perhaps Austin should have been the 7th overall pick in the draft. He's going to be a nightmare.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Speaking of OL, did we sign any FA Centers who have the potential to make the team.

Unfortunatly no,i think sendlein is below average,and if they want a solid interior line they should find someone better.dont know if colledge could play center

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
No one wants to hear it, but if this is true then perhaps Austin should have been the 7th overall pick in the draft. He's going to be a nightmare.

Ill take that bet. Austin is good but well see how he does as the #1 and game planned for week in and week out with literally NO weapons around him. And dont bring up the Titans TE or his #2 at WVU either.

No one has talked about it but Percy Harvin is a MUCH bigger concern next year and going forward. Dude is 24, was argubaly the MVP the first half of last season before he got injured, and the perfect fit for the Zone read with Lynch and Wilson. I will be targeting him early in Fantasy this year thats for sure banking that he will be healthy and happy in a new environment.

Ugh. Tavon Austin wont get half the stats of Harvin IMO.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Also all the WMD in the world dont matter if you dont have anyone upfront. And we didn't.

Keim the did the right thing. If we really want a game breaker next year lets get the bigger, better, faster version in Lee.

Oh one more thing. I like Floyd to have a equals to or better year then Tavon Austin too.

My best guess is no one will be asking for a WR after next season and Floyd/Fitz are talked about as one of leagues best duos. Anyone writing all these predictions down? :)

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score
Also all the WMD in the world dont matter if you dont have anyone upfront. And we didn't.

Keim the did the right thing. If we really want a game breaker next year lets get the bigger, better, faster version in Lee.

Oh one more thing. I like Floyd to have a equals to or better year then Tavon Austin too.

My best guess is no one will be asking for a WR after next season and Floyd/Fitz are talked about as one of leagues best duos. Anyone writing all these predictions down? :)

Sure, but there's a reason why guards don't typically get selected so high. They are far easier to find and you don't even have to have a great one to field a good OLine. Keim could have taken Austin and still addressed the Oline.

And unless Floyd handles returns, plays some running back, AND some WR, I don't think he's going to match Austin's impact in the league. And unless Lee slips to round two or the Cardinals don't draft a QB early next year, I don't like his chances of joining the team next year. Austin is going to be just as much of a headache as Harvin. Especially, if they have him coming out of the backfield. Doesn't matter who does better between the two of them.

BTW, I'm not one who can just go ho hum when a division rival signs a 6-5, 250 TE who can run a 4.5/40. And forget about the other WVU WR. The Rams had a rookie speedster from Wake Forest that gave the team fits last year.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Sure, but there's a reason why guards don't typically get selected so high. They are far easier to find and you don't even have to have a great one to field a good OLine. Keim could have taken Austin and still addressed the Oline.

And unless Floyd handles returns, plays some running back, AND some WR, I don't think he's going to match Austin's impact in the league. And unless Lee slips to round two or the Cardinals don't draft a QB early next year, I don't like his chances of joining the team next year. Austin is going to be just as much of a headache as Harvin. Especially, if they have him coming out of the backfield. Doesn't matter who does better between the two of them.

BTW, I'm not one who can just go ho hum when a division rival signs a 6-5, 250 TE who can run a 4.5/40. And forget about the other WVU WR. The Rams had a rookie speedster from Wake Forest that gave the team fits last year.

The Rams were 4-1-1 in the NFC West last year and they are adding significant talent to an already under-rated roster.

The only question is: would it have been better to draft RGIII and trade Sam Bradford instead? They wouldn't have gotten as much for Bradford...but, count me in as one who is very happy they didn't draft RGIII.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If Guards are so easy to find why have the Cards had 6 different guards start the last 4 seasons and just used their #1 on a 7th?

I know. The Cardinals never do anything normal.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Rams were 4-1-1 in the NFC West last year and they are adding significant talent to an already under-rated roster.

The only question is: would it have been better to draft RGIII and trade Sam Bradford instead? They wouldn't have gotten as much for Bradford...but, count me in as one who is very happy they didn't draft RGIII.

I'm not ready to crown either (Rams,rook) asses yet:D

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The offseason..... When Undrafted Free Agent Safeties who are destined to either be cut or sent to the practice squad get their own thread.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I've thought a lot about how much it would suck to have RGIII, Wilson and Kapernick in our division lol

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The offseason..... When Undrafted Free Agent Safeties who are destined to either be cut or sent to the practice squad get their own thread.
Considering our current safety situation I pretty much expect TJ to make the 53 man roster.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Man this guy looked pretty darn good today. If he has a couple more games anywhere near this productive he just might secure a spot on the final 53.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol BA in the post game presser: "He gets to stay next week."

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

seesred

Reaction score
I think Tony Jefferson is a keeper. He will play some this yearbut watch out for next. This kid knows how to play the game/
GBR

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
Gauging by today's game, he may well earn a roster spot. If he’s put on the Practice Squad, another team may well take him for their roster.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jefferson is what we need - a playmaking centerfielder who's also a reliable open field tackler. Rather than wonder whether he'll make the roster, we might consider whether and when Jefferson moves ahead of Rashad on the depth chart.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope he does make the team. He has backed up his talk with some real good football.