Too bad Rivers was not our coach this year.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Hey look, the Celts are up 3 with seconds left, and they - foul!
They turn it into a FT contest , while eating up the remaining seconds. They didn't give the other team a wide open 3 with 8 secs left. Wish Dumbtoni had a brain like Rivers obv does!

HooverDam

Reaction score
Rivers has a super talented roster, thats the key to his success. He's got a long road to hoe before he proves himself to be a great, or even good, coach.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They turn it into a FT contest , while eating up the remaining seconds. They didn't give the other team a wide open 3 with 8 secs left. Wish Dumbtoni had a brain like Rivers obv does!
D'Antoni figured that a guy with MVP's,championship rings,on a team that's been clutch against us at home needn't be guarded by our vaunted perimeter defense.;)

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please!! Yeah its Dantoni's fault Floppy drove to the rim and the D followed him leaving DUNCAN open for a 3. I would say the odds favor floppy getting the layup and 1 are 1000:1 to Tim Duncan making a 3 pointer. Whats sad is some still try to blame everything on Dantoni. Thats why he left because he was the scapegoat for everything that has went wrong with this team, now he will go turn around another team while ours goes downhill, thats some great ownership we have!! Bravo!!

nowagimp

Reaction score
Please!! Yeah its Dantoni's fault Floppy drove to the rim and the D followed him leaving DUNCAN open for a 3. I would say the odds favor floppy getting the layup and 1 are 1000:1 to Tim Duncan making a 3 pointer. Whats sad is some still try to blame everything on Dantoni. Thats why he left because he was the scapegoat for everything that has went wrong with this team, now he will go turn around another team while ours goes downhill, thats some great ownership we have!! Bravo!!

Never expect a crusader to use logic in an argument. The "dumbtoni crusaders" and the "dorisdiaw crusaders" are all sure of the cause of failure before examining the causality, its like religion. They even logicize that Duncan (a career 19% shooter from 3) shooting a 3 is more of an issue than finley(37% 3 pter) to hand the blame in the "right" place.

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score
I place the blame on Amare and Steve. Go back and look at the game again because it was Steve who left Duncan wide open, and not Amare. Shaq switched on Parker, and Steve should have stayed with Duncan and at least made him have a somehat challenged shot.

Amare of course screwed up when he decided that when you're up by 3 with the clock winding down in overtime, it's better to make sure that the scrub center you are guarding doesn't get a dunk than to waste energy making sure Michael Finley doesn't et a wide open 3 pointer.

Amare then dialed it in as soon as the offense went through Boris. I hate to say it, but Barkley was right. Amare needs to learn to play defense and needs to stop getting bored when he's not scoring.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT:
Not. It was the Duncan game tying W I D E open 3 that was D'Antoni's coaching blunder.
Up 3....you foul there:deadhorse2:Shaq rolled with Ginobli to guard against the 2 while Bell was just plain lost.

Amare was guarding both men that game that allowed the 3 pointers.

Put the blame on the player.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah Chris Amare is still here, so blame the scapegoat that left for all our problems seems to be the thing to do. Damn Dantoni if only he wouldn't have broke JJ's face and hurt Amares knee and not let JJ leave we would have a championship....DAMN you Dantoni!!!

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Are we still playing the blame game? Come on ladies, sour grapes on both sides of the issue are still sour grapes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nah Chris Amare is still here, so blame the scapegoat that left for all our problems seems to be the thing to do. Damn Dantoni if only he wouldn't have broke JJ's face and hurt Amares knee and not let JJ leave we would have a championship....DAMN you Dantoni!!!

i find these comments comical. i doubt anyone places 100% blame on dantoni for anything. but if any of us comments on disliking him it's immediately all 100% his fault. can't some of you see that many of us place the blame partially on everyone?

here's where i see our problems, past and present (and crap, future) - in no order:

we have had our share of bad luck (jj's injury, amare's injury, nash's bloody nose, etc.)

we have had our share of stupidity and inconsistent rulings (the bench rule)

amare can't play defense and plays stupidly sometimes

nash is a terrible defender and this year was fairly bad coming down the stretch of close games

raja has slowed considerably

dantoni didn't recognize the need for kt early enough last year

dantoni is a hothead and stubborn

we have always lacked a backup pg

we have always had a short bench

we trade away our first round picks

we fail to develop youth

we were cheap with jj and it backfired

we lean to heavily on mentally soft players like barbs

we lean to heavily on mentally and physically soft players like diaw

shaq can't shoot fts

skinner isn't that good

where the hell did paul shirley go?

we lost iavoroni

kerr routinely gets snookered in deals

sarver doesn't want to pay more of the luxury tax

marion folded against the spurs and became a lockerroom malcontent

we let eddie house get away

we let tim thomas get away

we signed marcus banks to a mistake contract that handcuffed us

we relied too heavily on an aging/injury prone grant hill

we just can't get over the spurs mentally

tim donaghy?

our ownership is too emotional and it may lead to poor decisions

we traded away kt and james jones

we failed to land pj brown, sam cassell, or brent barry

we'll likely fail to keep giricek

FLEXIBILITY!!!

sean marks surprised no one

the hawks won the damn lotto last year

and i'm sure there's a lot more. but none of these things single-handedly brought us to where we are today, but each of them DID contribute to where we stand today. and to ignore any one of them is asinine. to rip into people that wish to discuss one of them, or recognize any of them as legit reasons for our team's failures is just silly. lots of problems. can only fix them one at a time. glad we're trying to fix the dantoni problem. after we've got a new coach, i hope we pick the next problem and address it, and so on and so on.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
i find these comments comical. i doubt anyone places 100% blame on dantoni for anything. but if any of us comments on disliking him it's immediately all 100% his fault. can't some of you see that many of us place the blame partially on everyone?

here's where i see our problems, past and present (and crap, future) - in no order:

we have had our share of bad luck (jj's injury, amare's injury, nash's bloody nose, etc.)

nash is a terrible defender and this year was fairly bad coming down the stretch of close games

we fail to develop youth

shaq can't shoot fts

skinner isn't that good

we lost iavoroni

tim donaghy?

FLEXIBILITY!!!

and i'm sure there's a lot more. but none of these things single-handedly brought us to where we are today, but each of them DID contribute to where we stand today. and to ignore any one of them is asinine. to rip into people that wish to discuss one of them, or recognize any of them as legit reasons for our team's failures is just silly. lots of problems. can only fix them one at a time. glad we're trying to fix the dantoni problem. after we've got a new coach, i hope we pick the next problem and address it, and so on and so on.

Preach on brother Ouchie!

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Amare was guarding both men that game that allowed the 3 pointers.

Put the blame on the player.
No. It was Shaq on Duncan. Watch it.
At around 2:30 sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdO3CfKW40I

UP by 3 points 101
As a coach you foul there coming out of the T.O.
If you decide not to foul and defend instead...... you simply tell your guys to guard the 3 pt line and avoid contact on the opposing team on ANY shot attempt.
You basically tell your guys to give 'em the 2.
D'Antoni sucks at "up by 3 points 101." He blew it folks.... and his team never recovered mentally from that loss.
Oh well, it's cool. He's 2500 miles away now.

Last edited:

fordronken

Reaction score

If you think Doc Rivers is a better coach than D'Antoni, then you really can't be helped.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
No. It was Shaq on Duncan. Watch it.
At around 2:30 sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdO3CfKW40I

UP by 3 points 101
As a coach you foul there coming out of the T.O.
If you decide not to foul and defend instead...... you simply tell your guys to guard the 3 pt line and avoid contact on the opposing team on ANY shot attempt.
You basically tell your guys to give 'em the 2.
D'Antoni sucks at "up by 3 points 101." He blew it folks.... and his team never recovered mentally from that loss.
Oh well, it's cool. He's 2500 miles away now.

:thumbup:
Finally pointing it out.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ouchie I agree with most of what you said, its many problems Dantoni wasn't the thing keeping us from a championship imho. Lots of issues with this team that will become more glaring now if some new coach comes in and tries to make us a defensive team.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Ouchie I agree with most of what you said, its many problems Dantoni wasn't the ONLY thing keeping us from a championship imho. Lots of issues with this team that will become more glaring now if some new coach comes in and tries to make us a defensive team.

Boldfaced added by me. He was not the only problem but a crucial one, so much so that most fans here believed that we were never gonna win the title with DA as the headcoach. So, he was to go for us to have a chance.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score

we fail to develop youth

shaq can't shoot fts

skinner isn't that good

we lost iavoroni

tim donaghy?

FLEXIBILITY!!!

I agree with you.

Wow, what a list. No wonder we didn't win. I think D'antoni knows alot more about playing and coaching basketball than I do. I also think D'antoni could have done more with what he had though. He had his coaching strengths but he also had weaknesses.

What player got better skills-wise because of D'antoni "coaching" him? No matter how disinterested Boris played in games he just kept playing him. What was the point of that, no flexibility and no consequences if you play like crap. As the years went on who got better at playing basketball. Marion? nope he still can't shoot a mid shot or drive on anyone. Barbosa? Drives to the basket but cant draw a foul because he tries to shoot around the defender instead of going at the defender like every other effective driving guard. His defense sucks, even though he is fast with long arms. It looked to me like D'antoni isn't much of a teaching coach and we needed that.

We blame Amare for his defense because he is not great but who has been his coach? When Amare tried to pressure anyone, he was called for the ticky tack fouls and taken out of the game. He learned that if he wanted to stay in the game he couldn't play defense. You can't just tell him to play tough defense. He needed to be shown how and when.........It's obvious he didn't get taught correctly because he made the same mistake over and over. Amare would learn how to play better defense if he was taught and he said all year he wanted to improve.

D'antoni being too stubborn :bang: and predictible was a problem. Every good team learned what we were doing on offense, copied some of it and played tougher defense. We might still have been better offensively than they were, but they were better defensively and that made the difference.

We are still good offensively. The next coach hopefully will teach and demand tough defense and we will improve.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

we fail to develop youth

shaq can't shoot fts

skinner isn't that good

we lost iavoroni

tim donaghy?

FLEXIBILITY!!!

Nice. Spot on.
Let's title it "There's nowhere to go Butt Up" and give it to the SUNS marketing team for next years slogan.
icon11.gif