Trade deadline 2023

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Montez Sweat just acquired by the Bears for a 2nd round pick.

This is dumb. Poles needs firing.

Let a young CB go who's currently the 6th ranked CB in the league per PFF to give up a 2nd round pick for an Edge that wants to get paid.

On a team whose season is over already.

I like Sweat, but on a team with the best D line in the league the whole time he's been there he's never had double digit sacks.

On a D line that's currently DeMarcus Walker, Justin Jones, Andrew Billings and Yannick Ngakoue he's going to get all the double teams.

Twitter is full of people taking the piss.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Let a young CB go who's currently the 6th ranked CB in the league per PFF to give up a 2nd round pick for an Edge that wants to get paid.

I like Sweat, but on a team with the best D line in the league the whole time he's been there he's never had double digit sacks.

On a D line that's currently DeMarcus Walker, Justin Jones, Andrew Billings and Yannick Ngakoue he's going to get all the double teams.

You think it is bad that they pass on re-signing their CB and decide to trade for and sign a young EDGE player?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So Cardinals front office did not think Sweat would be worth it for a second round pick?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m still hearing no Cardinal interest. They won’t be trading picks for players in all likelihood. The need as much cap space as possible if Murray doesn’t work out. If they decide Murray isn’t a go, they won’t extend Brown.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’m still hearing no Cardinal interest. They won’t be trading picks for players in all likelihood. The need as much cap space as possible if Murray doesn’t work out. If they decide Murray isn’t a go, they won’t extend Brown.
They’re stuck until they know what Kyler is going to be for them. No worries.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Maybe the lesson is that PFF grades don't mean anything to NFL front offices?

Poles is definitely trying to save his job, but the Bears have more cap money than anyone in 2024 and they're going to have to spend it somewhere.

Chicago is two games out of the 7th playoff spot in the NFC with games left against New Orleans and Green Bay. They're going for it, especially in a division where second place seems extremely achievable with Jordan Love spoiling like a Jack O'Lantern in Avondale and Minnesota potentially hard-resetting their roster after Kirk's injury.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Poles is definitely trying to save his job, but the Bears have more cap money than anyone in 2024 and they're going to have to spend it somewhere.

Chicago is two games out of the 7th playoff spot in the NFC with games left against New Orleans and Green Bay. They're going for it, especially in a division where second place seems extremely achievable with Jordan Love spoiling like a Jack O'Lantern in Avondale and Minnesota potentially hard-resetting their roster after Kirk's injury.
Please do it and leave us the high draft picks.

JohnnyCakes

Alpha Male
Reaction score

the bears are awful and this trade is awful

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You think it is bad that they pass on re-signing their CB and decide to trade for and sign a young EDGE player?

Yes, I think it's bad they decide to move on from their home grown CB1 because they don't want to pay him to trade a very high 2nd round pick for a DE that wants to be paid over $20m per year that never had more than 9 sacks on the best D line in the league.

Also Montez Sweat is 27. I don't think that's anyone's usual definition of young in NFL terms considering he's the same age of Budda and several people have been questioning his age.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Johnson has 2 INT's and a FF including a pick 6, only 123 yards allowed, a 50% completion rate allowed, a passer rating allowed of 44 in 6 games. Seems pretty accurate.

If he "Has to spend it somewhere" his leading CB seems like a good place.

Also the Bears are 2-6. 100% they ain't making the playoffs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steve Keim would’ve made a move like this.

A lot of people here that loathe Keim have awfully similar decision-making like him.

I was thought exactly the same when I saw it. Poles is black Steve Keim.