trade proposal

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Suns get
Peja Stojakovic ($7.6 million, player option 2007)
Brian Skinner ($5.0, team option 2008)

Kings get
Shawn Marion ($12.6, 2009)

Fire away...

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Remember that both teams have to agree to the trade. Obviously the Kings would never take Richardson for Stojakovic.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nah, Marion is far better for our fast-breaking style. I would not do that. I would love to see Peja open at the 3pt line for us. But it would have to be in place of Q. There could be a sign-and-trade with JJ, but I think we need him when Nash is resting. The only way to get Sac to agree to one of these trades would be if they are tired of Peja's whining.

I would like to get their 23rd pick for our next year's 1st rounder as part of some trade, but I can't think of anything that would make sense for both teams.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Remember that both teams have to agree to the trade. Obviously the Kings would never take Richardson for Stojakovic.

That being said I don't think they will trade Peja at all, they moved Webber to keep the peace in Sac. More than likely they will build around him.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I would LMAO watching Peja try to play PF, as long as he wasn't wearing a Suns uniform while he did it. :(

Seriously, they're going to give this group another year at least before they break the team up. Since Marion makes small ball work, he's not going to get shipped unless the Suns abandon their current philosophy.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Suns get

Kings get

Fire away...

What is the point of this trade for the Suns?

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
A team that needs more defense and rebounding does not trade away their best defender and rebounder.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Our Defense needs to get better not worse. Our offense wasn't the problem. Skinner is a role player/good backup for Stoudemire.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Skinner replaces Richardson in the starting lineup.

C/PF Stoudemire
C/PF Skinner
SF Stojakovic
SG Johnson
PG Nash

The Suns get the defensive-minded big man everyone keeps talking about, return to a traditional lineup (almost), and improve their long-range shooting.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:

C/PF Stoudemire
C/PF Skinner
SF Stojakovic
SG Johnson
PG Nash

The Suns get the defensive-minded big man everyone keeps talking about, return to a traditional lineup (almost), and improve their long-range shooting.

So you are taking away both Marion and Richardson from the starting lineup.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Yes, Richardson moves to the bench.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so we trade one guy who dissappears in the playoffs for another guy who dissapears in the playoffs. No thanks.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Yes, Richardson moves to the bench.

I just don't see Peja and Skinner being able to play at the pace the Suns did this year. Plus you are giving up an awful lot of athleticism.

Last edited:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would prefer Marion over Stojakovic and Skinner. I'm still not sure that Skinner is a starting quality bigman.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm still not sure that Skinner is a starting quality bigman.

That's valid, but I'm not sure that Richardson is a starting quality SF.

Obviously Stojakovic is a huge upgrade over Richardson in the starting lineup. So the question is whether Skinner offers enough of a defensive upgrade, along with the added depth, to offset the loss of Marion.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Suns get

Kings get

Fire away...

Heres mine

Suns

Q
Voskuhl (if takes his option)

to Blazers

Derek Anderson

Derek Anderson is a better on the ball defender than Q and about the same % at 3pt. range. Contract is up in 2 years.

Q would be happy in Portland with Miles. Suns use #35 to get backup PG.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
LOL, I bet including the #57 pick would really cinch that deal for the Blazers.

No thanks. Anderson is a malcontent who is always injured.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
trade

I just don't see this happening for 3 reasons. First, it's within the division, I doubt that we would trade Marion to a team we play 4 times a year.

Second, I don't think you trade the games best SF for 2 role players (Peja's a great shooter, but what else does he do? rebound? defend? pass?)

Third, after watching the Spurs series, I found it rather obvious that we need to get better on the defensive end and rebounding. Bringing the two Kings in hardly acheives this IMO. Plus in the limited time that I have watched Skinner he doesn't seem to fit the mold of what the Suns would need as a Center (someone who can get up and down the court, hit the outside J)

If you want to do something with Q for Peja, I'm all ears. It would probably involve some of our draft picks as I think the Kings will be in rebuilding mode soon enough.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I just don't see Peja and Skinner being able to play at the pace the Suns did this year.

But the Suns weren't able to play at their pace in the playoffs either. They still scored a lot of points and had an efficient offense, but it came mainly from the half-court game.

This year's team was among the greatest running teams ever, but it didn't stop that part of their game from being shut down in the playoffs. Even Marion's big moments against Dallas were mainly in half-court sets. So if the team will be playing slower in the playoffs anyway, why not get players who are a better fit for that situation? They'd still be able to run when the opportunities arose.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
LOL, I bet including the #57 pick would really cinch that deal for the Blazers.

No thanks. Anderson is a malcontent who is always injured.

Fine the deal would still work without #57.

Jim Jackson was viewed as a malcontent. He was in Portland and was given the same label, get Anderson out of that environment and I bet his perception changes.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:

C/PF Stoudemire
C/PF Skinner
SF Stojakovic
SG Johnson
PG Nash

If you want to remove both Q and Marion from the lineup

Ratliff
Anderson

for

Q
Marion

Anderson replaces JJ at the 2, JJ moves to the 3, Ratliff at center.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
First, it's within the division, I doubt that we would trade Marion to a team we play 4 times a year.

That issue tends to be exaggerated. Trades within a division don't often happen for the simple reason that it's more likely to find a trading partner in one of the other three (now five) divisions. But sometimes they happen and it's not a big deal. Also, the Suns play at least two games per year against everyone, so you're talking about a grand total of one or two extra games per season against a division opponent. Big deal.

Second, I don't think you trade the games best SF for 2 role players (Peja's a great shooter, but what else does he do? rebound? defend? pass?)

As others on this board have pointed out, Marion isn't a great SF anymore. He had a bounce-back season playing out of position at PF; when matchup considerations forced him back to SF, he struggled.

Stojakovic isn't a defender or rebounder, but Skinner is. Stojakovic also isn't much of a passer, but neither is Marion, so that's a wash. (Their career assist numbers are about the same.)

Plus in the limited time that I have watched Skinner he doesn't seem to fit the mold of what the Suns would need as a Center

I haven't watched Skinner much, so I can't debate this point one way or another. However, his reputation is that he is quite a good defender and rebounder. His career rebounds per minute (or per 48) are the same as Marion's, and he averaged almost nine a game after being traded last season, while still playing limited minutes.

If you want to do something with Q for Peja, I'm all ears.

There is absolutely no chance that the Kings will trade Stojakovic for a package headlined by Richardson.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Heres mine

Suns

Q
Voskuhl (if takes his option)

to Blazers

Derek Anderson

Derek Anderson is a better on the ball defender than Q and about the same % at 3pt. range. Contract is up in 2 years.

Q would be happy in Portland with Miles. Suns use #35 to get backup PG.

ugh - you want to give away Q for a guy who's always injured - has actually shot WORSE than Q in the last two years and has NEVER shot well - is a piss poor rebounder and then to top it off you make up some nonsense about him being an on-ball defender (when in reality - he's nothing to speak of and when he played on SA - a defensive team - it was their weakest team in the last 7 years) and he's going into his 9th year - yeah - no thanks.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If you want to remove both Q and Marion from the lineup

There's a difference between removing someone from the starting lineup and removing him from the team. As I stated in another thread, if the Suns are going to deal away two players from their starting five, they'd better get something amazing in return. Ratliff and Anderson ain't amazing.

Please don't hijack this thread with more idiotic dump-Richardson proposals. If you think this thread is idiotic, that's fine, but at least allow it to stay on topic.