Trading Shipp?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Davis injury update

Nick Schenck, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans RB Domanick Davis (knee) will not accompany the team for its preseason game Saturday, Aug. 19. Head coach Gary Kubiak said, "Domanick has been very positive for the last two days. You guys saw him running. He ran very well last night. He will stay back and continue to get treatment."
Despite the talk, do you think they're getting desperate for a RB? They already tried to trade for Shipp on draft day.

Since then, Shipp has looked good. Definately improved over last year, which indicates that's he's back to 100% again. And at the same time Davis has struggled to get over his injury.

I really like Shipp, but JJ has surpassed him on the depth chart and both Ferri and Anderson looked very good Saturday (good enough for the 3rd RB spot IMO).

What do you think?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's difficult to evaluate our RB's in a vacuum.

Better that we think of them as the "wheels" of a complex running machine consisting of RB, O-line, lead blocker etc. The cogs of the machine have to be working in order for the RB to look good. And don't forget the "timing mechanism."

In his limited appearance, Edge didn't do anything, but that doesn't make him a bad RB. It was obvious he didn't get any blocking help with our 1st unit going against Pittsburgh's first unit.

Meanwhile, Diamond Ferri looked like Marcus Allen, running behind our 2nd or 3rd unit vs. Pittsburgh's backups. Under similar circumstances, Damien and JJ had a couple of good runs apiece, and we were able to pick up 1st downs on the ground in short yardage situations (finally!!)

It also seemed to me that our 1st unit ran more stretch plays whereas our backups were doing a lot of straight ahead man blocking against the Steeler scrubs.

My point: Trying to evaluate our RB's is like "comparing apples to lug bolts" because they were parts of different running machines operating against different opponents and executing different plays.

Frankly, I like all our RB's. To get a true picture of who's best and who is or isn't a keeper, I'd love to see Ferri running with our 1st unit vs. the Patriots' 1st unit and, conversely, Edge running with our second or third string against the Patriot backups. (Wouldn't that be fun!)

daytripper

All Star
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

Frankly, I like all our RB's. To get a true picture of who's best and who is or isn't a keeper, I'd love to see Ferri running with our 1st unit vs. the Patriots' 1st unit and, conversely, Edge running with our second or third string against the Patriot backups. (Wouldn't that be fun!)

I agree that Ferri has earned some reps with first team. Problem is Shipp and Arrington also need the work. A tough call for the coaches

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

Better that we think of them as the "wheels" of a complex running machine consisting of RB, O-line, lead blocker etc. The cogs of the machine have to be working in order for the RB to look good. And don't forget the "timing mechanism."

In his limited appearance, Edge didn't do anything, but that doesn't make him a bad RB. It was obvious he didn't get any blocking help with our 1st unit going against Pittsburgh's first unit.

Meanwhile, Diamond Ferri looked like Marcus Allen, running behind our 2nd or 3rd unit vs. Pittsburgh's backups. Under similar circumstances, Damien and JJ had a couple of good runs apiece, and we were able to pick up 1st downs on the ground in short yardage situations (finally!!)

It also seemed to me that our 1st unit ran more stretch plays whereas our backups were doing a lot of straight ahead man blocking against the Steeler scrubs.

My point: Trying to evaluate our RB's is like "comparing apples to lug bolts" because they were parts of different running machines operating against different opponents and executing different plays.

Don't forget Shipp's run on 4 & 1. Last year, we would not have got it. This year, the OL surged and Shipp got it with an easy margin.

spanky1

Reaction score
I think we go with Edge, JJ and Shipp with Ferri on PS. My guess is that both Anderson and Robinson (in his case neither the PS) will not make the team.

Once again, JMHO.

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
spanky1I think we go with Edge, JJ and Shipp with Ferri on PS. My guess is that both Anderson and Robinson (in his case neither the PS) will not make the team.

Once again, JMHO.

I think, Both Anderson and Robinson are better backs then Ferri.

I thought Anderson had the best game of all Rb's, he caught and turned a screen pass into a long play.

It's a bit of a shame we haven't been able to see Robinson play. When both Robinson and Ferri played in NFLE, it wasn't even a close, Robinson was the much better back. I can't imagine that Ferri has gone through such a change that has made him better then Robinson.....

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Duetto said:
I think, Both Anderson and Robinson are better backs then Ferri.

I thought Anderson had the best game of all Rb's, he caught and turned a screen pass into a long play.

It's a bit of a shame we haven't been able to see Robinson play. When both Robinson and Ferri played in NFLE, it wasn't even a close, Robinson was the much better back. I can't imagine that Ferri has gone through such a change that has made him better then Robinson.....

Logically thinking we probably saw more of Feri than Robinson because Feri was blowing him away at practice? So perhaps he is indeed better.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Logically thinking we probably saw more of Feri than Robinson because Feri was blowing him away at practice? So perhaps he is indeed better.

Robinson is not even practicing; he has a toe-inury.

Logically thinking.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I thought that Roger Robinson was injured. We didn't see anything of him, because he was not on the field.

As far as I know, the two players have never practiced at the same time.

That the #3 RB job is getting so much attention when this team has so many other problems is rather unbelievable. If you can ship Shipp and his $2 million salary anywhere for anything that approaches a mid-round pick you should go ahead and do it.

Where are all the people concerned about the salary cap now? Imagine all the contracts we could extend with an edtra $1.5 million off the camp if Shipp's gone.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
I think we would actually miss Shipp if Edge got hurt, but it would be nice to see him get an opportunity to play somewhere and succeed.. he is a class guy and given the right deal I would agree that it would be best to give him a chance while helping us at the same time.

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Damn bro, your all over this stuff. Ferri was making Robinson look like a fool when they were out in Flagstaff together. I wonder why we never heard about it?????

The fact that Robinson set two rushing records in NFLE and was a key element on the worldbowl winning team playing at the same time and in the same league as Ferri means nothing.

NFLE stats:

Ferri 84 carries, 333 yrds, 4.0 per carry, 22 long, 2 tds

Robinson 214 carries, 1087 yrds(new record), 5.1 per carry, 66 long, 4 tds 7-100 yrd games (new record)

After much thought....... I guess your right......... Ferri has been blowing Robinson away. I'll bet if Robinson wasn't wearing a big protective boot and in cruches he might look a little faster, but thats just me.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
What is Robinsons time frame to return? I'd like to see him get a chance to convert his NFLE accomplishments to the NFL.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duetto said:
After much thought....... I guess your right......... Ferri has been blowing Robinson away. I'll bet if Robinson wasn't wearing a big protective boot and in cruches he might look a little faster, but thats just me.

Man NFL Europe must suck if a guy can put up numbers like that wearing a protective boot.

I am not honestly sure why people are so interested in Ferri other than his leaping play against Pitt. Jackson and Anderson combined for SIX carries last year on the worst rushing team in the NFL, without a bonafide starter. To that team we've added Edgerrin James who had 360 carries last year. Why does anybody think a 3rd or 4th string RB is going to do anything here this year?

The main thing our backup RB's have to do is special teams, return kicks, cover kicks etc. That's why JJ Arrington is returning KO's and Shipp is on both kick return and kick coverage teams, neither one of them is going to play much as long as Edge is healthy.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I think Shipp has ingratiated himself as one of Denny's guys and I don't think he'll trade one of his guys away. JMHO.

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Man NFL Europe must suck if a guy can put up numbers like that wearing a protective boot.

I am not honestly sure why people are so interested in Ferri other than his leaping play against Pitt. Jackson and Anderson combined for SIX carries last year on the worst rushing team in the NFL, without a bonafide starter. To that team we've added Edgerrin James who had 360 carries last year. Why does anybody think a 3rd or 4th string RB is going to do anything here this year?

The main thing our backup RB's have to do is special teams, return kicks, cover kicks etc. That's why JJ Arrington is returning KO's and Shipp is on both kick return and kick coverage teams, neither one of them is going to play much as long as Edge is healthy.

I agree. I just couldn't let this guy get away with telling us Ferri is blowing Robinson away. Such a silly post.

I thought Shipp was the least impresive out of all Rb's. Edge is no spring chicken, he might not make all 16 games and our #2 guy better be good..... JJ looked better then last year and Anderson looked real good. This next game will give us a better idea of where we stand on our running game.

There has been no news on Robinsons return. We get updates on other injured players and hush, hush about Robinson. I thought the Cards kinda liked him, I wonder whats up? No I.R., no P.U.P. no info?

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not too quick on trading Shipp. He's the guy I like in short yardage situations.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pariah said:
queue K9

:)

Actually, I was going to say that the one time I noticed Shipp back on kick coverage, he got blasted out of the way by the coverage team and didn't do anything. I bet for the money we pay him, we could get something better.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
the 3-5 string players need to be able to contribute to special teams, which often overlooked in the hopla surrounding preseason heros.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
If we can drop Shipp's salary for a draft pick that would be best. We have several guys who would be a wash in production and who would probably benefit much more that Shipp from sticking on this Cardinals roster.

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
Anything K9 says regarding Shipp should not be listened to. Shipp could score 5 TD's in a game and K9 would say it was only because the other team sucked. He HATES Shipp and always has.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
DieHardCardFan said:
Anything K9 says regarding Shipp should not be listened to. Shipp could score 5 TD's in a game and K9 would say it was only because the other team sucked. He HATES Shipp and always has.

I would love it if Marcel Shipp scored 5 TDs in a game. I'd really like it if he scored maybe one in the next 16.

If Marcel Shipp doesn't suck as bad as I say he does as an NFL runningback, he should show it on the field. There are easily 60 backs in the NFL right now that are better than he is, and probably 40 of them make less than Shipp has.

#31 has basically been a non-stop disaster for this team since he was re-signed. Guy's gotten a whole lot of money for very, very little production.

In the game yesterday, he missed an opportunity to cut back against the grain on a stretch run and wasted a great block from a helmetless Adam Berger (I think) in order to run the ball out of bounds. Tough runner. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05