Training Camp News

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/64080
Tuesday night takes

The Suns had their first real practice of the season Tuesday night. That is, they got to scrimmage, defend and bang a little after the opening of camp Tuesday morning was relegated to non-contact work.
Some early orange slices:
* When it came time to split up the teams to play, the starters (Nash, Richardson, Hill, Stoudemire and Frye) were on one team and the other had Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Amundson and Lopez before subs entered. We've talked about 11 players being in the mix for the rotation but the Suns look like they are going to stick to their draft-day ideal that Earl Clark is going to have to really earn his way into his playing time. As impressive as he can be, he's still a rookie with much to learn. His affinity for jump shots seems to be carrying over from the informal workouts, although the Suns are encouraged not to pass up open looks. When he did drive, he had a clear path to finish and dropped off the pass to someone with a harder shot. It'll come. Clark's defense will get him on the court first anyway. Just seeing that tall, long frame close out on shooters in the scrimmage shows how he can make it hard to score for people.
* Gentry can't stop calling Channing Frye "Tyson," as in Tyson Chandler. Channing? Chandler? I guess. Whatever the reason, it's hilarious because it keeps happening. At one point, Gentry started stomping the Jenny Craig Pavilion floor in the middle of practice as if he was furious with something the Suns had done. Turns out, he had just called him Tyson again. Suns.com heard Frye respond, "It's OK, Coach Hollins."
* That 3-point ability we have been telling you about in Channing Frye? It carries over to real practices. He hit one on a fastbreak that looked like a pull-up jumper on a behind-the-back pass from Barbosa.
* Lopez played tonight like the focused center he was in July's NBA Summer League debut. His best play was stealing a Nash pass up top that was meant for Frye and taking it all the way in for a slam. He was really active on defense, even thought it meant still fouling.
* This might be looking for a rainbow but it sure seems likeAlando is putting more arc on his 3-point shot.
* Stoudemire is still not all the way back to playing with a reckless abandon. This was his first real practice and since February and the up-and-down, physical aspect was much more taxing than any of their pickup games. The whole thing got a little sloppy at the end but the Suns' way is keep pushing through it to help conditioning. Gentry learned that from D'Antoni, who he initially wondered what the heck he was doing when he wouldn't stop the action often in the early days of camp. That said, Gentry did talk a lot during other periods of the practice, teaching, correcting, lecturing, etc.
* Louis Amundson was a rebounding fiend.
* When the Suns run sprints after practice, Nash is first each time, then Barbosa, then Richardson or Griffin.
* There was some good comedy in a video the team watched Monday night. A mid-'90sclip of Hill dunking on Suns assistant Dan Majerle that was on a loop. A scene from "Road House" with Suns' heads on actors' bodies. A high school photo of Gentry with an afro. A photo of Suns VP David Griffin as a whipper-snapper just getting started in the organization. Suns assistant John Shumate's freshman college photo. They didn't get Stoudemire but he said he would offer his own. True to his word, he posted a photo of him as a 14-year-old on his twitter tonight. It's here.
* As the back of a Stoudemire T-shirt says, "Follow me" at www.twitter.com/paulcoro.

It sounds like Earl Clark has some Boris tendencies. The more accounts I hear about Frye the more he sounds like a Tim Thomas clone. I'd be ecstatic with that type of production from him.

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Frye is more of a mix between Tony Battie and Brian Scalabrine.

That doesnt mean he isnt as good at Battie, just a cross between the two. I think he will be a solid player in Gentry's offense and I wouldnt be shocked to see him put up 10 and 5 per game.

krazyasiankid

Registered
Reaction score
Dammit. I thought Earl Clark will be automatic to get minimum about 20 minutes a game.. at least i was hoping that will happen... let him develop with more game time.

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
Frye is more of a mix between Tony Battie and Brian Scalabrine.

That doesnt mean he isnt as good at Battie, just a cross between the two. I think he will be a solid player in Gentry's offense and I wouldnt be shocked to see him put up 10 and 5 per game.

lmao at Brian Scalabrine that fool is a useless bum

HooverDam

Reaction score
Reading the training camp reports and updates one thing is for sure, this is going to be the least stressful season as a Suns fan in a while. Im going in with lowered/no expectations, I imagine watching the games will be a lot more casual for me. During the D'Antoni era I lived and died with every game as it seemed like the Suns had a real shot at the title, now its just whatever, I hope they can make the playoffs but am not expecting anything.

I think the main thing that will be fun is watching how Earl Clark develops, I think he's going to be the first good Suns draft pick since Barbosa (or if you don't count that since the Spurs technically picked him, then since Amare).

EDIT: VV Im not counting picks the Suns traded or picked for other teams. They have to have suited up for the Suns.

Last edited:

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
best draft pick since barbosa was rondo but this fuccas traded him to boston lol

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Earl Clark will get more playing time as the season progresses. I think this team will struggle at times and if that continues most teams look to younger guys and giving them more minutes. I predict that is how it will play out with Clark. As the season goes on you will see more and more of him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Earl Clark will get more playing time as the season progresses. I think this team will struggle at times and if that continues most teams look to younger guys and giving them more minutes. I predict that is how it will play out with Clark. As the season goes on you will see more and more of him.

That's my hope as well. I'm hoping to see him on video practicing/playing with the guys, so far we've only seen on very brief glimpses of his talent in summer league.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/64135

Tucker's tough spot

When big arena lights came on at McKale last year for the intrasquad scrimmage, Alando Tucker shined. It was his brightest moment of the year.
Otherwise, the Suns guard struggled with injury and performance, keeping him outside the rotation for a second season. It started with thumb and calf injuries in camp. He said the compensation for his tight calf turned into the knee damage that required an arthroscopy in the first week of the regular season. He said his knee never felt quite right the rest of the season.
Now that he feels completely healthy, he has a tougher problem. The depth chart is stacked against him. Richardson and Leandro Barbosa are at his position and he's only had 36 NBA appearances to prove himself.
"I feel good," Tucker said. "This is kind of how I started out right at the beginning of camp last year. Hopefully, it keeps up. My whole summer, I’ve been concentrating on my health and doing different nutrition things. When I’m healthy, I feel like I can do some good things on the court. I’ve been feeling good all summer. I just hope it carries over."
Tucker, 25, is not blind to the situation but remains one of the most upbeat players daily on the team. He knows he might have to wait for an opportunity. He knows he has to have an impressive month for the team to pick up his option for the 2010-11 season.

"It’s just being ready," Tucker said. "Coming off the injury, it’s getting back to the confidence where I was. I'm staying ready. It’s a long season. I need to be ready to fit in where I can. This is my opportunity right now to give them a reason to put me on the court, especially early. That’s my whole goal right now."

Tucker's perimeter shot had been notoriously flat as he made the transition from a player who scored on the interior often at Wisconsin to a leaner 6-foot-6 off-guard. It appears the shot has arc more consistently now.

"I definitely changed it a lot," Tucker said of his shot. "Once I get going in a rhythm, I feel really comfortable about shooting it. I have no hesitation. I’ve been working with Igor (Kokoskov) non-stop. He gets me right."

Not much here but it's news.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looks like we found our boris replacement. (The passing up easy shots part, anyway)

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Earl Clark thinks he is a play maker still, he did grew up playing as guard.

But he needs to hammer that ball when he penetrates.. 6'10 with 7'3 wingspan and athletic as he is... he at the very least will be getting fouled and going to the free throw line... thats the mentality Phoenix coaching staff needs to let him know... give him the mentality that he will get fouled and thats what they want... to put him on the free throw and causing trouble inside....

the guy needs to fire up.... Yes Diaw was the type who gives it up but showed glimpses he can finish... too unselfish and gets intimidated too much... but Clark can be developed so that he gets that "dunk on everyone" mentality.... needs Stoudemire to give him tips.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like we found our boris replacement. (The passing up easy shots part, anyway)

Yes, this was my first thought as well after reading the comment below.

When he did drive, he had a clear path to finish and dropped off the pass to someone with a harder shot.

Let's just hope Clark is trying to fit-in with the team right now and quickly abandons this philosophy. Boris used to drive me crazy when he had a layup and passed it back out. Clark sounds like he can be a good defensive player.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/09/30/20090930spt-sunsnotes.html

Notes: Amundson making strides

by Paul Coro - Sept. 30, 2009 07:14 PM
The Arizona Republic

SAN DIEGO - Last week, Suns forward Louis Amundson, a career 43 percent free-throw shooter, did something Steve Nash would be hard-pressed to match. Amundson made 96 out of 100 free throws, a glowing example of the work he has put in this summer with a personal shooting coach, Dave Love.
But the work is not done until he makes shots during live action with yelling fans and game anxiety. That reminder came Tuesday when he missed a free throw, making his team have to run wind sprints.
"I reverted back to my old shot," he said. "I hadn't done that all summer. It's amazing what a little bit of pressure will do to your psyche."
Love will use the moment as a teaching tool for coping. He rebuilt Amundson's shot this summer to correct foot placement, ball grip and ball path.
"We overhauled everything," Love said. "We basically started at the beginning, pretending he had never shot a basketball in his life."
Amundson went 53 for 120 (44.2 percent) at the line last season. He hopes to hit at least two-thirds of his tries this season, now that he has a tighter motion that keeps his elbow tucked close to his body. He shoots 100 free throws daily, regularly making between the high 70s and that 96. He also takes 200 to 300 jump shots daily, although he rarely is asked to shoot on the perimeter.
"I'm not going to force anything," he said. "I'm just going to wait for the opportunities. I already know I've improved. I got better every month. I'm really happy to shoot it well, at least in practice. Now I have to translate it to competition."

Captain Amaré
Mike D'Antoni tried making Amaré Stoudemire a co-captain two seasons ago. The title didn't carry over to last season.
But bestowed the honor again with Nash and Grant Hill, Stoudemire feels better prepared to lead.
"It feels great," Stoudemire said. "I definitely have been working on it and studying what it takes to be a leader. I've read books on it to figure out what it takes to be a successful leader. With Steve and Grant, watching those guys over the past few years definitely helped me a lot. I'm getting up there. I'll be 27 in November."
Stoudemire said his reading list included books about ancient Chinese commander Sun Tzu and becoming a general, as well as Wikipedia entries on leadership. :rollseyes:

Tucker's predicament
The Suns have a month to decide whether to pick up a $2.9 million option for 2010-11 on third-year guard Alando Tucker.
It's a small window for Tucker to show how he feels he improved his shot and is healthy after never feeling he fully recovered last season from a November knee arthroscopy.
He has played 36 games in two years and is behind Jason Richardson and Leandro Barbosa.
"It's just being ready," Tucker said. "Coming off the injury, it's getting back to the confidence where I was. I'm staying ready. It's a long season. I need to be ready to fit in where I can. This is my opportunity right now to give them a reason to put me on the court, especially early. That's my whole goal."

Stoudemire is reading wikipedia entrees on leadership. Lol! You know Coro included that tidbit tongue-in-cheek. Too bad Stoudemire wasn't joking when he undoubtedly boasted about it. I think he'd be better off with this:
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/09/30/20090930spt-sunsnotes.html

Stoudemire is reading wikipedia entrees on leadership. Lol! You know Coro included that tidbit tongue-in-cheek. Too bad Stoudemire wasn't joking when he undoubtedly boasted about it. I think he'd be better off with this:
You must be registered for see images

It cant hurt. I like his effort. Hopefully it will teach him a thing or two that will translate onto the court, helping him improve his overall game this season.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
* Gentry's fuse started to get lit late in practice when Nash got to the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]rim[/FONT][/FONT] for unmolested layups twice in a short amount of time. He lamented the weak-side rotations but that was just the start of his defensive disappointment as he tries to turn water into wine. He kept on having to stop the action until the frustration built up some more, prompting him to yell out, "We can't be that good offensively. I think we're good but we can't just get give up 120. We've got to stop somebody. Let's try to hold them to 100 or 95 or 101. How about we just make them make one more pass so I can get on somebody for not getting back. We've got to get better. We don't have many days?"
* During scrimmage time, the Suns were split into three teams with a squad of Goran Dragic, Jason Richardson, Alando Tucker, Louis Amundson and [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Channing [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frye[/FONT][/FONT] beating both of the other teams. Richardson was shooting well, like the guy who was leading the NBA in 3-point shooting in December. Amundson's hustle work was a big reason his team won the first game against the bleacher-favored team of Nash team with Grant Hill, Robin Lopez and Leandro Barbosa. It wasn't often that a team not featuring Nash or Dudley won a pickup game during voluntary workouts. One of Wednesday's best offensive plays was Tucker taking the ball to the basket and finishing with his left hand as he was fouled by Lopez.
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/64179
:|

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
* Gentry's fuse started to get lit late in practice when Nash got to the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]rim[/FONT][/FONT] for unmolested layups twice in a short amount of time. He lamented the weak-side rotations but that was just the start of his defensive disappointment as he tries to turn water into wine.
I applaud the man for preaching and talking about holding guys accountable for playing some defense but I think this statement just rings so true. Getting blood from a stone is another saying that comes to mind.
It would satisfy me to at least see a monster effort in trying to guard people this season(for 4 quarters). I certainly don't expect us to actually shut anybody down bcuz thats not gonna happen.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/64080

It sounds like Earl Clark has some Boris tendencies. The more accounts I hear about Frye the more he sounds like a Tim Thomas clone. I'd be ecstatic with that type of production from him.
omg I freaked out when I read this line

When he did drive, he had a clear path to finish and dropped off the pass to someone with a harder shot.
DIAWDIAWDIAWDIAWDIAWDIAWDIAWDIAWDIAWDIAWDIAWDIAWDIAWDIAW

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Richardson positive, eager to impress
At the top of his to-do list is playing good defense. Richardson never has been highly regarded defensively, but he says it is in him.
"I'm getting back to the days of Michigan State defense," he said. "I'm polishing up my skills. They want me to come back and be a better defender. I want to be a better defender. I'm definitely putting the effort in.
"I'm not necessarily a [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Bruce Bowen [/FONT][/FONT]or a lockdown defender, but I know I can contain my man better than I have."
Richardson always has been well-built and athletic enough to defend well, but he said he conserved energy to score on his offense-oriented Golden State teams
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/10/01/20091001spt-sunsside.html

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gentry can't stop calling Channing Frye "Tyson," as in Tyson Chandler. Channing? Chandler? I guess. Whatever the reason
Well, if money wasn't an issue for our owner then it would have been Tyson Chandler and not Frye in our training camp as the Hornets seemed willing to swap him for Wallace. But I do like Frye.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
* Gentry's fuse started to get lit late in practice when Nash got to the rim for unmolested layups twice in a short amount of time. He lamented the weak-side rotations but that was just the start of his defensive disappointment as he tries to turn water into wine. He kept on having to stop the action until the frustration built up some more, prompting him to yell out, "We can't be that good offensively. I think we're good but we can't just get give up 120. We've got to stop somebody. Let's try to hold them to 100 or 95 or 101. How about we just make them make one more pass so I can get on somebody for not getting back. We've got to get better. We don't have many days?"

This is my worst fear for the Suns. No matter how good the Suns are offensively that can't continually allow penetration to the rim. Even the early years with DA the Suns played some defense although they couldn't rebound.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of what was available to see Thursday night, this is what stood out:
* Nobody seems to be shooting the ball better in live action than [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jason [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Richardson[/FONT][/FONT]. He has been on fire the past couple nights.
* Stoudemire admittedly is still getting back to his comfort zone after so much time off but he finally got off a familiar-looking ferocious dunk in traffic during scrimmage play Thursday night.
* Clark is going to have a hard time living down the dunk he missed by himself on a fastbreak. It was that moment when everyone was watching to see what he would do with so much space and time and he put it right into the rim. Then he had an airball. Those moments are out of context with how well he has done thus far, more so on the defensive side.
* The most memorable moment of the night was when Gentry was trying to maintain a fast pace to the games. It can make things haggard in the early days but this is how they get in "Suns shape." But with officials calling the games, the play keeps stopping but the running clock keeps going while the players shoots one free throw rather than two. Gentry was getting frustrated with the slowdowns and was sitting in the bleachers on the opposite side of the court when Amundson got fouled. He started yelling for everyone to hurry up and put a countdown on Amundson, the man working on a consistent routine. "Five, four, three, two, one," Gentry yelled. Amundson missed.
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/64262

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
*Amundson scored 21 points, given five free throw points, but was active with five of his 10 rebounds coming on offense. He also was the only player with six fouls.

*Nash's plus-minus must have been something like plus-20. He was in typical preseason mode, not taking a shot until the second half but dishing 11 assists. His White team's lead was down to four before he returned to the game in the fourth quarter.

*Taylor Griffin made all five of his shots, including two 3-pointers and a tough fadeaway.

*Robin Lopez might have had his best day as well, showing the kind of aggression balanced with control that he had in his first summer league game in July. He had 14 points and nine rebounds.

*Jason Richardson continued a great week of camp with four 3-pointers and a game-high 25 points. He only got two of them by free throw gifts

*Amare Stoudemire is not himself yet, although there was a glimpse of it when he threw a thunderous dunk down over Amundson. Stoudemire was 7 of 15 from the field and had four rebounds
Richardson was the Black's leading rebounder with five, as center [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Channing Frye [/FONT][/FONT]only had one board.
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/64358

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lopez also helped Nash's team with his best effort this week, playing with more-controlled aggression after Gentry pulled him out of action Friday for his temper. On Saturday, Lopez posted 14 points and nine rebounds, setting a tone with early blocks on Stoudemire and Tucker and scoring at the [FONT=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]rim[/FONT][/FONT] for all six field goals.
Clark had his best offensive outing Saturday, scoring on four consecutive trips on perimeter shots and making two nice passes to Lopez inside. He has a feel for all parts of the game, especially defense.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/10/03/20091003spt-sunsscrimmage.html

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05