Tribune: Okur and Nash to Phoenix?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=21774
Nash, Okur may look at Suns
By Mike Tulumello, Tribune
Count guard Steve Nash and big man Mehmet Okur among the free agents who are expected to consider the Suns as a possible destination this summer.
"He'd consider them," said Nash's agent, Bill Duffy.

Nash was drafted by the Suns in 1996, but was traded after the club developed a logjam in the backcourt when it acquired Jason Kidd.

The Suns sent Nash to Dallas, where he became an All-Star, for the draft pick that became Shawn Marion.

"I think it still would be a good fit," Duffy said.

Yet, the Suns could be a fall-back position for Nash, who may re-sign with the Mavericks.

Nash's father, John (the player's parents live in the Valley), said in March that while he would love for his son to play for the Suns, it's more likely he will return to the Mavericks if Dallas officials make him a strong offer.

Duffy said this likely is an accurate read of the situation.

"But it's got to be reciprocal. They've got to want him back." This season, Nash averaged 14.5 points on 47 percent shooting (including 41 percent on 3-pointers) plus 8.8 assists in 33.5 minutes per game.

In the Mavericks' playoff series loss to the Sacramento Kings, he averaged 13.6 points, with his shooting percentages falling to 39 overall and 38 on 3-pointers in 39 minutes per game.

A source close to the Pistons' Okur who asked not to be identified confirmed the player's interest in the Suns.

Okur did not want to speak publicly because the Pistons are still involved in a playoff series against New Jersey. Okur is averaging 5.2 points and 3.0 rebounds in 11.8 minutes per playoff game.

Okur, 25, is a 6-foot-11, 250-pound forward/center from Turkey.

He averaged 9.6 points and 5.9 rebounds in the regular season in 22 minutes per game. But with the arrival in Detroit of Rasheed Wallace, his playing time went down.

Last season, he averaged 6.9 points and 4.7 rebounds in 19 minutes per game.

It may be difficult for the Pistons to re-sign both Wallace and Okur.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
slinslin said:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=21774
Nash, Okur may look at Suns
By Mike Tulumello, Tribune
Count guard Steve Nash and big man Mehmet Okur among the free agents who are expected to consider the Suns as a possible destination this summer.
"He'd consider them," said Nash's agent, Bill Duffy.

Nash was drafted by the Suns in 1996, but was traded after the club developed a logjam in the backcourt when it acquired Jason Kidd.

The Suns sent Nash to Dallas, where he became an All-Star, for the draft pick that became Shawn Marion.

"I think it still would be a good fit," Duffy said.

Yet, the Suns could be a fall-back position for Nash, who may re-sign with the Mavericks.

Nash's father, John (the player's parents live in the Valley), said in March that while he would love for his son to play for the Suns, it's more likely he will return to the Mavericks if Dallas officials make him a strong offer.

Duffy said this likely is an accurate read of the situation.

"But it's got to be reciprocal. They've got to want him back." This season, Nash averaged 14.5 points on 47 percent shooting (including 41 percent on 3-pointers) plus 8.8 assists in 33.5 minutes per game.

In the Mavericks' playoff series loss to the Sacramento Kings, he averaged 13.6 points, with his shooting percentages falling to 39 overall and 38 on 3-pointers in 39 minutes per game.

A source close to the Pistons' Okur who asked not to be identified confirmed the player's interest in the Suns.

Okur did not want to speak publicly because the Pistons are still involved in a playoff series against New Jersey. Okur is averaging 5.2 points and 3.0 rebounds in 11.8 minutes per playoff game.

Okur, 25, is a 6-foot-11, 250-pound forward/center from Turkey.

He averaged 9.6 points and 5.9 rebounds in the regular season in 22 minutes per game. But with the arrival in Detroit of Rasheed Wallace, his playing time went down.

Last season, he averaged 6.9 points and 4.7 rebounds in 19 minutes per game.

It may be difficult for the Pistons to re-sign both Wallace and Okur.

Hey Slin, see post "Tribune: Same Tripe, Different Day!" :D

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every free agent is going to mention Phoenix as long as the Suns have cap space.

Nash has a player option of $5.7 million. He's a couple of years younger than Brent Barry, but not as good on defense. He is too expensive.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
slinslin said:
I couldn't figure out what the title of the thread was all about so I didn't read that post. :shrug:

HOLD THE MOUSE OVER THE THREAD TITLE AND YOU WE SEE WHAT'S IN THE THREAD! :D :D :D

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Some players I consider injury prone. Nash to me is not a full fledged injury prone player, but he has enough experience on the IR to qualify for someone I don't want to see in a Sun's uni.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If Nash was younger and absolutely healthy I would say yes.

He is easily the best passer in the league and a great shooter. He would really compliment Shawn Marion running fastbreaks and Amare in the halfcourt as well.

It depends on the price and wether Kobe stays with LA or not.

Otherwise I would definately expect Nash to make a big impact (probably as much or more than Kobe or TMac) should he play on this team. He is in my opinion the key to the Mavs and we should be almost immediately as good or better as the Mavs were this year.

Nash also doesn't dominate the ball at all and always moves without the ball. That would be nice because JJ can't be turned into a catch and shoot player.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I dont want Nash if he costs more than 8 million a year, and for more than 4 years.

Of course this is completely unreasonable, so I am able to live without him.

I dont want Okur at all (at the price he will fetch). Of course, I didnt like Sac's trade for Miller either so what do I know.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I dont want Nash if he costs more than 8 million a year, and for more than 4 years.

Of course this is completely unreasonable, so I am able to live without him.

I dont want Okur at all (at the price he will fetch). Of course, I didnt like Sac's trade for Miller either so what do I know.

1. Nash WILL be overpaid. It's Dallas.

2. Okur doesn't solve the Suns problem - interior defense.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Nash has said that his decision is not going to be about money and I believe Nash. He is that type of person.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Not every free agent is Steve Nash. Is there another hippie in the league? Maybe Kirk Hinrich or Luke Ridnour.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Not every free agent is Steve Nash. Is there another hippie in the league? Maybe Kirk Hinrich or Luke Ridnour.

So? Does that make everything he says more true than when someone else says it?

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't know about you but when Steve Nash says it it sounds much more believable than Rasheed Wallace saying it.

Nash has never been shy about his honest opinion. Like Iraq war for example. And his parents still living in Phoenix that can only be a plus. The Mavs are not going anywhere fast anyway.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash is either going to get a longer contract, more money per season, or both. If he could stay healthy I think he would be a very good fit with this team. However unless they can unload Jahidi White or Howard Eiseley he will take almost all of their free-agent money.

Joe Mama

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I always liked Nash.
If the Suns won't get Kobe, I wouldn't mind giving a 24 mil./3 year contract for Nash.

Unfortunately DAL will give him more.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Nash would be nice, but since the Suns are capable of drafting and developing their own high-quality point guards, does it really make sense for them to spend a huge free-agent bounty on an established PG?

Especially since this team is still in long-term-rebuilding mode...

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Okur when he played at least 30 minutes.

36 minutes 19 points 6 rebounds 3 assists 1 steal
32 minutes 21 points 5 rebounds 1 assist
35 minutes 21 points 7 rebounds 1 assist 1 steal
31 minutes 15 points 5 rebounds 3 blocks
32 minutes 27 points 14 rebounds 2 steals 1 block
40 minutes 18 points 8 rebounds 4 assists 1 steal 2 blocks
30 minutes 9 points 7 rebounds 1 assist 1 steal
31 minutes 10 points 18 rebounds 1 assist 1 block
32 minutes 17 points 6 rebounds 1 assist 4 blocks

Some other good games
14 points 11 rebounds 3 assists 2 steals 2 blocks 27 minutes
12 points 12 rebounds 25 minutes
21 points 4 rebounds 1 assist 1 steal 23 minutes
17 points 12 rebounds 1 steal 5 blocks 28 minutes
14 points 9 rebounds 2 steals 1 block 28 minutes
12 points 18 rebounds 3 assists 1 steal 4 blocks 26 minutes
16 points 9 rebounds 1 steal 2 blocks 29 minutes

You would probably have a very tough time finding a Suns center in the last decade who put up games like that in a season.

Maybe Okur's biggest problem is simply consistency or consistent playing time. Especially after the Rasheed Wallace trade it caused his numbers to drop.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

So in other words, a grand total of two games with more than 8 rebounds. And zero blocks in half of the games.

The bigger question is, why did he earn 30+ minutes so rarely?

You would probably have a very tough time finding a Suns center in the last decade who put up games like that in a season.

Nonsense. They'd just be other forwards "who can play center," like Clifford Robinson or Tom Chambers. Okur is a little bigger than those two, but not much, and he clearly plays more like a forward than like a center. That discrepancy will be even more exposed if he comes out west next season.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:

So in other words, a grand total of two games with more than 8 rebounds. And zero blocks in half of the games.

Nonsense. They'd just be other forwards "who can play center," like Clifford Robinson or Tom Chambers. Okur is a little bigger than those two, but not much, and he clearly plays more like a forward than like a center. That discrepancy will be even more exposed if he comes out west next season.

That's a great point. Okur is going to be very attractive to teams who need an inside guy who can score. The Suns have that. What the Suns need is an inside guy who can keep the other team from scoring.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Because after the trading deadline he had Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace starting infront of him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Because after the trading deadline he had Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace starting infront of him.

The Pistons acquired Rasheed Wallace only nine games into the season? I don't think so.

He earned 30+ minutes per game less than 1/5 of the time before the trade.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okur played 1 game over 30 minutes in Oct, 2 in Nov, 1 in Dec, 5 in Jan, 1 in Feb (he only played in 7 games in Feb), 1 in Mar, and none after that.

My focus on centers is always rebounds. Okur broke double digits twice in Nov, 3 times in Dec, 1 time in Jan, 2 times in Feb and did not break double digits after that.

To give some perspective, McDyess after becoming a starter, had double digit rebounds in 6 of his last 11 games (3 of those games he missed he did not get many minutes due to foul trouble).

Mehmet Okur
Detroit Pistons
Position: C
Height: 6-11 Weight: 249
Player file | Team stats

2003-04 Statistics
PPG 9.6
RPG 5.9
APG 1.0
SPG .51
BPG .89
FG% .463
FT% .775
3P% .375
MPG 22.3

Antonio McDyess
Phoenix Suns
Position: F
Height: 6-9 Weight: 245
College: Alabama '97
Player file | Team stats

2003-04 Statistics
PPG 6.9
RPG 6.1
APG .9
SPG .88
BPG .57
FG% .470
FT% .551
3P% .000
MPG 22.1

McDyess's numbers were depressed by several poor games following his joining the Suns which had him return to the IR.

The reasons this comparison is relevant is that Dice should be availabe at less than half the price of Okur. (I'm guessing $2.5 million would get it done with Dice and Okur will command about $6 million to start on a longer deal).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05