OP
OP
J

jolt

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Eric Swann didn't even go to college and was laying pipe for a living....that makes him a wasted pick too by your standards

Did he sit out his last season with a fake ankle injury because he hated his coach, and was he mentally ill?

That's apples and oranges. A guy not getting into college is a lot different that a guy in college who's batty.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jolt,

Your entire premise is flawed. For any entire draft class , after three years have passed, less than 1/2 are still in the league. After five years, the percentage is below 30%! EVERYBODY "misses" more than they hit!

We are a "team" that would grade out as having successful drafts because we've kept the majority of our picks the last few years. (Since that seems to be your main criteria.) But, so what? We've stunk, who cares that they made the team? The Steelers have had some good drafts, yes. But, they have also had some real stinker picks. Jeremy Staat anyone?

Last edited:

TILLMANFAN

Reaction score
The average length of service for an NFL player is around 3 years. To go back more than 3 years from Greens last season is misleading. Obviously Green was doing something right with the players he aqciured through the draft of FA because the Vikes won under Green. In fact, they won with an old Cunningham, Jeff George, Brad Johnson, Culpepper and a couple of other QB's. Greens offensive systems seem to work no matter who is running them.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
jolt said:
Did he sit out his last season with a fake ankle injury because he hated his coach, and was he mentally ill?

That's apples and oranges. A guy not getting into college is a lot different that a guy in college who's batty.

Different issue. He took a risk on a head case. Your apple and oranges issue is in reply to saying that picking a guy who didn't even play last year is risky. So nobody should draft Clarett this year?

Now should he have picked a guy with his disorder? Again, it looks bad because it didn't work out. I bet Marquis Hill gets drafted (also documented with Bipolar). Whoever picks him is a fool, right?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
jolt said:
Well, of course, but who would use a 1st round pick on a guy who didn't even play his last season in college? You gamble on a guy like that in the 3rd or 4th.

Ok jolt. You're making a decent arguement. However, Green could have the worst draft in NFL history this year, and, if he wins 9 games in 2004, do you know what?

I won't give a rats you-know-what about the draft!

Winning is the bottom line, right?

and Green wins, right?

so whatever he did in Minni was right, right?

Therefore, your arguement is prima facia stupid.

Next case, please.

OP
OP
J

jolt

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Different issue. He took a risk on a head case. Your apple and oranges issue is in reply to saying that picking a guy who didn't even play last year is risky. So nobody should draft Clarett this year?

Now should he have picked a guy with his disorder? Again, it looks bad because it didn't work out. I bet Marquis Hill gets drafted (also documented with Bipolar). Whoever picks him is a fool, right?

I wouldn't touch Clarett. I think Green might, because he likes troubled players he can help, but I wouldn't.

Marquis Hill takes medication for his medical problem. Underwood didn't.

As for Crimson's point, I agree. If we win, who cares about the draft.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have to agree that he has a very low rate of success with players in the 2nd round and up. I know the average player is out of football in 3 years but not over 90%. I have a feeling most teams have done a better job of drafting after round one than Green. Why don't we trade our second through seven for another first then? :D I hope Green doesn't reach in the second...

If he is poor at drafting good talent after round one then we should look at that. I hope he listens to our scouting department after week picked Boldin. I think we made some really good choices after the first round. Actually the first round seems to be our worst! Hopefully we can mix the talents of Green and the rest of the staff to have a great draft.

I do think Underwood was a big mistake. Most draft experts agreed too. He wasn't even supposed to go until the second or the third. If he has so many problems why not take one of the great players in the first and hope he's there in the second or probably a better idea, the third? You still have to weight risks and first rounders don't always need to be high risk to be high reward.

I don't really buy that he had too low of a second rounder and above to get any good players. A low second rounder is still better then a high third and there has been talent in the third. Many of you have been arguing how important the later rounds can be and how those picks can still be valuble, including me. Remember there are more players in the hall of fame that came from the second round instead of the first. Unfortunately Green hasn't contributed to that too much...

Look at how well Green did in Minni over the years.. If he can improve his drafting in the later rounds he can be even better! I think people should always look to improve and be open to new ideas. That's how you get better and no matter how good he's been he hasn't gone all the way and that's what we unltimately want right?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Everyone else is forgetting Green was not picking very high in any of these drafts, reason being his teams had good records and winning seasons. Green was landing Probowl talent with low draft spots. Imagine what he could do with these great draft spots the Cards have this upcoming Draft!!! :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jolt said:
Rnd Pick Ovrall Name College Pos
1 25 25 Chris Hovan Boston College DT
2 24 55 Fred Robbins Wake Forest DT
2 25 56 Michael Boireau Miami (FL) DE
3 26 88 Doug Chapman M.arshall RB
4 12 106 Antonio Wilson Texas A&M-Commerce LB
4 24 118 Tyrone Carter Minnesota DB
5 36 165 Troy Walters Stanford WR
7 34 240 Mike Malano San Diego State C
7 38 244 Giles Cole Texas A&M-Kingsville TE

Here's the year prior. Hovan starts, Robbins is a backup, everyone else is cut or a waiver guy (Walters)
Actually, I think Chapman is a backup guy, too. And has competed for, though never actually won the starting job. It did look for a while last year (after Bennet went down) like he might be the guy in a crowded backfield with O. Smith and M. Williams, trouble is, he got hurt himself.

In a more general vein, the draft produces more dud than diamonds. It's the nature of the beast. I'm not claiming that Green is a draft God, but I think he has a pretty fair record.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
jolt said:
1 27 27 Michael Bennett Wisconsin RB
2 26 57 Willie Howard Stanford DT
3 7 69 Eric Kelly Kentucky DB
4 35 130 Shawn Worthen Texas Christian DT
4 36 131 Cedric James Texas Christian WR
5 26 157 Patrick Chukwurah Wyoming LB
6 26 189 Carey Scott Kentucky State DB
7 25 225 Brian Crawford Western Oregon T

That was his last draft with the Vikings.

Name one of those guys who is still in the NFL other than Bennett, who's middle name is Injured Reserve.

OK I will name 5, Crawford, Kelly, James, Chukwurah, and Scott are all on NFL teams right now, and the year before that to.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Everyone else is forgetting Green was not picking very high in any of these drafts, reason being his teams had good records and winning seasons. Green was landing Probowl talent with low draft spots. Imagine what he could do with these great draft spots the Cards have this upcoming Draft!!! :thumbup:

Excellent Point!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
jolt said:
1 21 21 Randy Moss Marshall WR
2 21 51 Kailee Wong Stanford DE
3 19 80 Ramos McDonald New Mexico DB
4 18 110 Kivuusama Mays North Carolina LB
5 21 144 Kerry Cooks Iowa DB
6 20 173 Matt Birk Harvard T
7 19 208 Chester Burnett Arizona LB
7 36 225 Tony Darden Texas Tech DB

1998. Birk and Moss are in the pro bowl. Everyone else got cut.

Looks like he's averaging about 1 or 2 guys a year who actually end up playing.
Wong played four years with Minnesota and he is still in the NFL with Houston. Very solid player.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Lets put this all in perspective. I think we can all agree that Parcells is a good coach. So lets see what Parcells did with the Patriots from 1993-1996(4 years).

Bill Parcells – 1993 – Picking about 20 spots ahead of Green

1 New England Bledsoe, Drew QB Washington State
2 New England Slade, Chris DE Virginia
2 New England Rucci, Todd G Penn State
3 New England Brisby, Vincent WR Louisiana-Monroe
4 New England Johnson, Kevin NT Texas Southern
4 New England Brown, Corwin SS Michigan
5 New England Sisson, Scott K Georgia Tech
5 New England Griffith, Richard TE Arizona
6 New England Hatch, Lawrence DB Florida
8 New England Brown, Troy WR Marshall

Bill Parcells – 1994 Picking about 15 spots ahead of Green

1 New England McGinest, Willie DE Southern California
2 New England Lee, Kevin WR Alabama
3 New England Collier, Ervin NT Florida A&M
3 New England Burch, Joe C Texas Southern
4 New England Burke, John TE Virginia Tech
5 New England O'Neill, Pat P Syracuse
6 New England Hawkins, Steve WR Western Michigan
6 New England Lane, Max T Navy
7 New England Walker, Jay QB Howard
7 New England Moore, Marty MLB Kentucky

Bill Parcells – 1995 Picking about 10 spots ahead of Green

1 New England Law, Ty CB Michigan
2 New England Johnson, Ted MLB Colorado
3 New England Martin, Curtis RB Pittsburgh
3 New England Hitchcock, Jimmy CB North Carolina
4 New England Wohlabaugh, Dave C Syracuse
6 New England Philyaw, Dino RB Oregon
7 New England Yancy, CarlosDBGeorgia

Bill Parcells – 1996 Picking about 10 spots ahead of Green

1 New England Glenn, Terry WR Ohio State
2 New England Milloy, Lawyer SS Washington
3 New England Bruschi, Tedy OLB Arizona
4 New England Irwin, Heath G Colorado
4 New England Sullivan, Chris DE Boston College
4 New England Barber, Kantroy RB West Virginia
5 New England Elmore, John G Texas
5 New England Peter, Christian DT Nebraska
6 New England Griffin, Chris TE New Mexico
6 New England Grier, Marrio RB Tenn.-Chattanooga
6 New England Wyman, Devin DT Kentucky State
7 New England Purnell, Lovett TE West Virginia
7 New England Conrad, J.R. G Oklahoma

As you can see Parcells had just as many hits and misses as Green did. You can argue that Parcells found a few more gems but Parcells also had 40 picks during this time span while Green had only 30, and Green was picking in the later parts of the draft from 1993-1996 season while NE was picking towards the top.

Looking at these drafts makes me think that Parcells sucks(sarcasm).:rolleyes:

Heck lets throw in his last 2 years coaching during the same time as Green.

Bill Parcells – 1997 – again picking way ahead of Green plus had more picks

1 N.Y. Jets Farrior, James OLB Virginia
2 N.Y. Jets Terry, Rick DT North Carolina
3 N.Y. Jets Ward, Dedric WR Northern Iowa
4 N.Y. Jets Day, Terry DE Mississippi State
4 N.Y. Jets Johnson, Leon RB North Carolina
5 N.Y. Jets Burns, Lamont G East Carolina
5 N.Y. Jets Austin, Raymond S Tennessee
6 N.Y. Jets Scharf, Tim LB Northwestern
6 N.Y. Jets Clements, Chuck QB Houston
7 N.Y. Jets Rosga, Steve S Colorado
7 N.Y. Jets Ferguson, Jason NT Georgia

Bill Parcells – 1998

2 N.Y. Jets Boose, Dorian DE Washington State
3 N.Y. Jets Frost, Scott FS Nebraska
3 N.Y. Jets Williams, Kevin FS Oklahoma State
4 N.Y. Jets Fabini, Jason T Cincinnati
5 N.Y. Jets Dailey, Casey LB Northwestern
5 N.Y. Jets Karczewski, Doug G Virginia
5 N.Y. Jets Spence, Blake TE Oregon
5 N.Y. Jets Bateman, Eric T Brigham Young
6 N.Y. Jets Ogbogu, Eric DE Maryland
6 N.Y. Jets Brazzell, Chris WR Angelo State
7 N.Y. Jets Hart, Lawrence TE Southern U

Last edited:

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:

From my post right before that one

I don't really buy that he had too low of a second rounder and above to get any good players. A low second rounder is still better then a high third and there has been talent in the third. Many of you have been arguing how important the later rounds can be and how those picks can still be valuble, including me. Remember there are more players in the hall of fame that came from the second round instead of the first. Unfortunately Green hasn't contributed to that too much...

Everybody seems to forget what I post. :D If I say trade down and do something some else in the same thread will say...you noone ever mentioned we could trade down and etc...

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. Underwood became ill. What if he had gotten cancer or been shot on the way to camp. You cannot hold Underwood against DG. He had great measurables, was a double digit sack man in college, with a lousy Dallas team playing part time and with a serious illness - he still managed to get 4 sacks! He became ill. Given DG's track record with draft picks and what he did in school and DAL Underwood would have been a good player at least and maybe another pro-bowler he became ill - end of story. Not DG's fault unless you expect him to be psychic.

Not that it matters in the least but what happened at school was Underwood hurt his ankle and his coach wanted him to play hurt (what did the coach care about him ruining his future) Underwood refused until the ankle was rehabbed once it felt right he told the coach he was ready to play - but the coach petulantly sat him out. Then the coach badmouthed him hoping to hurt his draft status.

I will address DG's drafting record in my next post once again!

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. There is another thread where I broke down every draft pick DG had.

2. Many intelligent posters here pointed out facts regarding DG's drafting record. Good points folks. I will just reiterate with additional details.

3. Careers are short. You get a guy who plays 3 good years that is a good pick. Analyzing a draft pick based on how he is as a 30 year old man is not fair. If he is still in the NFL at advanced age he was a good pick.

4. DG drafted low almost always - and throughout all the rounds! If you have TSN magazine check out the first rounders from last year or any year lots of busts. There are even more in later rounds. DG was drafting pro-bowlers in both the first round and later rounds!

5. PFW voted him best GM 95-2000. TSN had him ranked high as well. DG made mistakes all GMs do but he made less mistakes. The draft is a crapshoot he hit on more picks then most! That is why he was the best, if he was not name someone better then him during his time. Compare for eg. his 1st round picks to the "genius" Ron Wolf. DG blows him out of the water.

6. Great post on Parcells. Taking anyone's picks they will look bad. You can do the same with FA for eg. lots of bad FA pickups by GMs year after year and DG had a few bad FA pickups but again he (given limited funds for FA) also had many great FA pickups that is why he was the best. Less mistakes you cannot expect perfection.
The fact that DG has a 7th round pick still in the NFL from iirc 5 years ago is testament to his great drafting.

7. Look at TSN magazine: 59 CBs listed. Forty offensive tackles listed. Good luck finding guy who can make the NFL. DG managed to get pro-bowlers in later rounds and round 1 not easy to do.

Last edited:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jolt said:
1 27 27 Michael Bennett Wisconsin RB
PRO-BOWLER

2 26 57 Willie Howard Stanford DT
SERIOUS INJURY

3 7 69 Eric Kelly Kentucky DB
STILL IN NFL NICKLE CB

4 35 130 Shawn Worthen Texas Christian DT
IIRC STILL IN NFL

4 36 131 Cedric James Texas Christian WR
INJURY

5 26 157 Patrick Chukwurah Wyoming LB
STILL IN THE NFL

6 26 189 Carey Scott Kentucky State DB
IIRC STILL IN THE NFL
7 25 225 Brian Crawford Western Oregon T

That was his last draft with the Vikings.

Name one of those guys who is still in the NFL other than Bennett, who's middle name is Injured Reserve.

He got hurt in offseason training.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jolt said:
STARTING DT

STARTING DT SIGNED HUGE FA DEAL

BECAME ILL

INJURY

STILL IN THE NFL BACK UP S

STILL IN THE NFL 3rd or 4th WR

Here's the year prior. Hovan starts, Robbins is a backup, everyone else is cut or a waiver guy (Walters)

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
jolt said:
STARTING DT

STARTING DT SIGNED HUGE FA DEAL

BECAME ILL

INJURY

STILL IN THE NFL BACK UP S

STILL IN THE NFL 3rd or 4th WR

Yea but the Vikings now suck. So all these players suck too. :trout:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jolt said:
1 11 11 Daunte Culpepper Central Florida QB
MADE PRO-BOWL IN 2 YEARS HE HAD A CHANCE TO.
FIRST YEAR OF PLAYING HAD ONE OF THE BEST ROOKIE YEARS IN NFL HISTORY. PRO-BOWLER.

LOOK AT THE QBS TAKEN AHEAD OF HIM AKILI AND MCNOWN. DG KNEW HE WOULD BE GOOD AND WANTED HIM ONLY IF THE OTHER QBs HAD BEEN THERE BUT NO CULPEPPER HE DOESNT TAKE THE OTHER QBS that is good drafter not making mistakes on players. If Culpepper is gone but Akili is there DG takes Kearse instead BTW DG liked players like Kearse (lots of people thought he was too small to be an NFL RDE - sound familiar?) and McAllistr and Sapp he just couldn't take them for various reasons but it shows he knows talent! Remember he wanted Sapp but Vikes management wouldnt let him take him - as 2nd choice Alexander did well decent sack numbers and signed huge FA deal before injury ended his career. That is good drafting not wasting that pick despite not being allowed to take Sapp. If you want to judge DG as drafter you must add Sapp since he wanted him but was not allowed to take him.

1 29 29 Dimitrius Underwood Michigan State DE
BECAME ILL

2 13 44 Jim Kleinsasser North Dakota TE
BEST BLOCKING TE IN NFL AND SOLID POSSESSION RECIEVER; PRO-BOWL LEVEL

4 25 120 Kenny Wright NW Louisiana DB
STARTER FEW YEARS, BACK UP NOW

4 30 125 Jay Humphrey Texas T
5 36 169 Chris Jones Clemson LB

6 16 185 Talance Sawyer UNLV DE
STARTER HAD AT LEAST 1 DECENT SACK YEAR
BACK UP NOW

6 30 199 Antico Dalton Hampton LB
7 30 236 Noel Scarlett Langston DE

One more year back.....hmm.....two offensive players who are really good, Sawyer is a backup, the other guys never made it.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jolt said:
1 21 Randy Moss Marshall WR
NOT JUST A PRO-BOWLER BUT HALL OF FAMER IF HE KEEPS IT UP

2 21 51 Kailee Wong Stanford DE
STARTER IN NFL STILL! SIGNED HUGE FA DEAL

3 19 80 Ramos McDonald New Mexico DB
PLAYED A FEW YEARS

4 18 110 Kivuusama Mays North Carolina LB
PLAYED A FEW YEARS

5 21 144 Kerry Cooks Iowa DB
6 20 173 Matt Birk Harvard T
PRO-BOWLER IN 6TH ROUND!!!!!!!!!

7 19 208 Chester Burnett Arizona LB
7 36 225 Tony Darden Texas Tech DB

1998. Birk and Moss are in the pro bowl. Everyone else got cut. Looks like he's averaging about 1 or 2 guys a year who actually end up playing.

WRONG AGAIN!

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jolt said:
1 16 16 Duane Clemons California DE
STILL A STARTER IN THE NFL. SIGNED A BIG FA DEAL. DECENT SACK NUMBERS FOR A FEW YEARS.

2 15 45 James Manley Vanderbilt DT

3 14 75 Moe Williams Kentucky RB
AMONG THE BEST BACK UP RB IN NFL AND DEMON ST PLAYER.

4 2 97 Hunter Goodwin Texas A&M G
STILL IN THE NFL SOLID PRO.

5 16 148 Sean Boyd North Carolina DB
7 14 223 Jon Merrill Duke T

1996 - the James Manley era begins

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jolt said:
1 11 11 Derrick Alexander Florida State DE
WAS NOT DG'S 1st CHOICE he wanted SAPP HERE the team did not let him draft SAPP. You want to be fair? You have to put SAPP here as the DG pick!
Despite being his 2nd choice. Had some decent sack years, signed big FA deal and injuries ende his career.

1 24 24 Korey Stringer Ohio State T
PRO-BOWLER. DIED.

2 10 42 Orlando Thomas SW Louisiana DB
DEFENSIVE ROY. INJURIES HURT HIM,

2 23 55 Corey Fuller Florida State DB
STILL STARTING IN THE NFL SOLID NFL STARTER

4 13 111 Chad May Kansas State QB
5 23 157 James Stewart Miami (FL) RB
6 18 189 John Solomon Sam Houston State LB
7 24 232 Jose White Howard LB

7 35 243 Jason Fisk Stanford DT
SB WINNER
1995 - this one is solid, top to bottom. every guy here except May and Solomon played.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
jolt said:
1 11 11 Derrick Alexander Florida State DE
WAS NOT DG'S 1st CHOICE he wanted SAPP HERE the team did not let him draft SAPP. You want to be fair? You have to put SAPP here as the DG pick!
Despite being his 2nd choice. Had some decent sack years, signed big FA deal and injuries ende his career.

1 24 24 Korey Stringer Ohio State T
PRO-BOWLER. DIED.

2 10 42 Orlando Thomas SW Louisiana DB
DEFENSIVE ROY. INJURIES HURT HIM,

2 23 55 Corey Fuller Florida State DB

4 13 111 Chad May Kansas State QB
5 23 157 James Stewart Miami (FL) RB
6 18 189 John Solomon Sam Houston State LB
7 24 232 Jose White Howard LB

7 35 243 Jason Fisk Stanford DT
SB WINNER
1995 - this one is solid, top to bottom. every guy here except May and Solomon played.

Wow, man you really need to do something else, once in a while.
The vikings still suck because their players suck.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jolt said:
1 18 18 DeWayne Washington North Carolina State DB
WASHINGTON WAS A GOOD PLAYER FOR YEARS! LOOK AT THE CAREER LENGTH. HE PLAYED GOOD ON A GOOD DEFENSE FOR YEARS. SURE NOW HE IS OLD AND NOT SO GOOD. BUT COME ON HE WAS A VERY GOOD PICK and left as FA!

1 19 19 Todd Steussie California T
PROBOWLER. STILL IN THE NFL. SB STARTER LAST YEAR AFTER ALL THESE YEARS! Left as a FA.

2 11 40 David Palmer Alabama WR
EXCELLENT CHANGE OF PACE BACK AND STer for YEARS!

2 26 55 Fernando Smith Jackson State DE
HAD A FEW SOLID YEARS.

4 22 125 Mike Wells Iowa DT
5 3 134 Shelly Hammonds Penn State DB

6 18 179 Andrew Jordan Western Carolina TE
HAD A FEW SOLID YEARS.

7 17 211 Pete Bercich Notre Dame LB
HAD A FEW SOLID YEARS AS STer

1994 - steussie was awesome, washington sticks around but isn't any good, and.....well, bercich went to my high school.