Updated Mock Picks 1-10 (3/14/06)

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. HOU: Reggie Bush, RB, USC. No brainer.

2. OAK (from NO for the #7 pick 2006 and 1st Rd. Pick in 2007): Matt Leinart, QB, USC. Al Davis sees Leinart as a modern Kenny Stabler and can't resist moving up to snag him.

3. TEN: Vince Young, QB, Texas. Will be tutored by Steve McNair and OC Norm Chow...and will be projected to start in 2007.

4. NYJ: DE Mario Williams, NC St. There will be a heated debate as to whether they should take QB Jay Cutler...but, Eric Mangini's desire to build his defense into a juggernaut will preside.

5. GB: A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio St. Cheeseheads will be ecstatic with this pick.

6. SF: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon. They wanted Hawk...but have to play in a division with Shaun Alexander, Stephen Jackson and now Edgerrin James, so they go with the draft's most prolific run stuffer.

7. NO: D'Brickshaw Ferguson, T, Virginia. The trade makes them look like geniuses because Ferguson, a top three value, slides to them.

8. BUF: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland. They wanted Ngata...but opt to take the best athlete on the board.

9. DET: Michael Huff, DB, Texas. Best and most versatile DB in the draft, shores up the Lions' secondary.

10. ARI: Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa. Superb athlete is just what the team needs opposite Karlos Dansby.

Cardinals Draft:

(1) Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa.
(2) Max Jean-Gilles, G/T, Georgia
(3) Cedric Griffin, DB, Texas
(4) Will Blackmon, PR/WR, Boston College
(5) David Thomas, TE, Texas
(6) Tarvaris Jackson, QB, Alabama St.
(7) Roman Harper, FS, Alabama

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the 2nd and 3rd round picks they have for us but I'd rather have Cutler than Greenway.

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
Nadda, Greenway is a reach at 10. If thats how it falls you try to trade down with someone hot for Cutler.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but Greenway will fall out of the first round. His pedestrian 40 time and so many LB's on the board is what is going to cause it. In January he was a Top 10 pick. Then in Feb he was in the range of 15-25. I think now he has fallen completly out of the first round.

I believe Manny Lawson, Demeco Ryans, and Ernie Sims have all passed him. In addition LB's seem to fall further than anyone in the draft so I am taking a guess and says he drops out of the first round. His 40 time was 4.79 and his combine was not impressive at all.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
wasnt there some other LB besides Hawk who was impressive? (although maybe not top 10 impressive)

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
ThunderCard said:
Call me crazy, but Greenway will fall out of the first round. His pedestrian 40 time and so many LB's on the board is what is going to cause it. In January he was a Top 10 pick. Then in Feb he was in the range of 15-25. I think now he has fallen completly out of the first round.

I believe Manny Lawson, Demeco Ryans, and Ernie Sims have all passed him. In addition LB's seem to fall further than anyone in the draft so I am taking a guess and says he drops out of the first round. His 40 time was 4.79 and his combine was not impressive at all.

He's also dropping because of his bench press #'s at the combine. I think he only did 16-17 reps which is pretty bad for a LB.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
RedForeman said:
He's also dropping because of his bench press #'s at the combine. I think he only did 16-17 reps which is pretty bad for a LB.

yeah he did 16 total and they did not even want to count 4 of them, because they believed his arms were not fully extended.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Ferguson doesn't drop to 7 under any scenario. Also, i stay away from Greenway. The LB who is moving up is Ernie Sims.He'll go before Greenway. If Hawk wouldn't have run that damn 4.38 then he may have fell to 10 but it's doubtful now.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
ThunderCard said:
yeah he did 16 total and they did not even want to count 4 of them, because they believed his arms were not fully extended.

Put it into perspective as he also has the longest arms out of the LB's that were at the combine. Almost 2-3 inches longer then AJ I beleive, and that can make a big difference in puttin gup the bar.

Also he had an average 40 time but again put it into perspective as he has speed on the field, he was covering WR's at the senior bowl one on one and doing it well staying with them.

Have others LB maybe leap frogged him , probably, but the guy produces and shows speed on the field.

Last edited:

spanky1

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I would throw up if the Cards drafted Chad Greenway at #10.

I would as well......which is a change of thinking on my part from two months ago. Also would not take Cedric Griffin in the 3rd.

I do like Will Blackmon for his versatility.....but migt he not fall into the 5th? He looked a tad shaky fielding punts at the Senior Bowl which is one of his supposed strengths (perhaps he was having a bad day).

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can do 15 reps with 225. Draft me. :rolleyes:

Seriously, this time of the year is fun and annoying at the same time. On the field the guy produced.....I never saw him struggle to tackle a runner or not be able to cover a TE.

With that said...alot would have to happen for me to want to take him.

My BPA: (D)

Hawk
M. Williams
Huff
J. Williams
Greenway

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Greenway, but I really, really doubt Jean-Gilles is there in the second. If he is, we better take him.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

What about Ernie Sims?? Please don't tell me it was a low Wonder-lick score that will keep him drafted after Greenway.. How fast was his 40 and all his measurables, his leadership.. To embrace being being compared to Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks says alot about him.. That said I never saw him play, so could anyone shed some light on how the LB's stack up that way??Thank you

Last edited:

ThunderCard

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Put it into perspective as he also has the longest arms out of the LB's that were at the combine. Almost 2-3 inches longer then AJ I beleive, and that can make a big difference in puttin gup the bar.

Also he had an average 40 time but again put it into perspective as he has speed on the field, he was covering WR's at the senior bowl one on one and doing it well staying with them.

Have others LB maybe leap frogged him , probably, but the guy produces and shows speed on the field.

I agree I would like to draft the guy just not at 10. He was VERY productive in college and I could see him making the transition into the pro's better than a lot of these other LB's, however the combine just killed his stock.

In addition he also seems to have better game speed than realized, but I don't think he cracks the first round. Everyone on there draft boards still has him in the 1st so I guess it will be wait and see.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

I like Greenway. He produces on the field. He can play either OLB position. Smart kid, who can play three downs at the next level.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Greenway carries his pads well, much like Boldin.

Also, Griffin is really intriguing as a FS.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Because picking in the top 5 has done so well for us
I know you're being sarcastic because you love winning meaningless games and coming in second place of a horrible division at the expense of potentially great players such as Eli Manning, Vince Young, D-Brickashaw Ferguson, or AJ Hawk, but picking in thew Top 5 has generally done us well. Other than Wadsworth our Top 5 picks have gone on to have pretty successful NFL careers. Here's some recent Top 5 selections by the Cardinals...

Larry Fitzgerald - NFL Pro Bowler at age of 21
Leonard Davis - 2005 NFC Pro Bowl alternate
Simeon Rice - multi-time Pro Bowler

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
ThunderCard said:
however the combine just killed his stock.

The scouts dont think he killed his stock. The guy absolutly blew up his interviews and positional drills. Of which scouts put more stock into.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9286579

Gil Brandt who talks to a lot of the scouts and GM's, its where he gets most of his info, even with the 40 time still said that Greenway workout out well.

Some of the linebackers who worked out well at the Combine were: Jon Alston (Stanford), Chad Greenway (Iowa), Abdul Hodge (Iowa), Thomas Howard (UTEP), D'Qwell Jackson (Maryland), Tim McGarigle (Northwestern), Roger McIntosh (Miami-Fla.), A.J. Nicholson (FSU), Demeco Ryans (Alabama), Ernie Sims (FSU) and Gerris Wilkinson (Georgia Tech)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Mitch said:
1. HOU: Reggie Bush, RB, USC. No brainer.

2. OAK (from NO for the #7 pick 2006 and 1st Rd. Pick in 2007): Matt Leinart, QB, USC. Al Davis sees Leinart as a modern Kenny Stabler and can't resist moving up to snag him.

3. TEN: Vince Young, QB, Texas. Will be tutored by Steve McNair and OC Norm Chow...and will be projected to start in 2007.

4. NYJ: DE Mario Williams, NC St. There will be a heated debate as to whether they should take QB Jay Cutler...but, Eric Mangini's desire to build his defense into a juggernaut will preside.

5. GB: A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio St. Cheeseheads will be ecstatic with this pick.

6. SF: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon. They wanted Hawk...but have to play in a division with Shaun Alexander, Stephen Jackson and now Edgerrin James, so they go with the draft's most prolific run stuffer.

7. NO: D'Brickshaw Ferguson, T, Virginia. The trade makes them look like geniuses because Ferguson, a top three value, slides to them.

8. BUF: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland. They wanted Ngata...but opt to take the best athlete on the board.

9. DET: Michael Huff, DB, Texas. Best and most versatile DB in the draft, shores up the Lions' secondary.

10. ARI: Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa. Superb athlete is just what the team needs opposite Karlos Dansby.

Cardinals Draft:

(1) Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa.
(2) Max Jean-Gilles, G/T, Georgia
(3) Cedric Griffin, DB, Texas
(4) Will Blackmon, PR/WR, Boston College
(5) David Thomas, TE, Texas
(6) Tarvaris Jackson, QB, Alabama St.
(7) Roman Harper, FS, Alabama

1-No way, NO WAY does Ferguson fall that far. Naganahappen.

2-No way, NO WAY does Giles fall that far.

3-I don't like Greenway at 10. Better options with that pick.

4-To build on 3, I'd take Cutler there, in a second.