Various comments after watching game on NFL replay

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leinart in the first half was so composed it was almost other worldly, nothing fazed him.

More Leinart fawning, do you notice how when he scrambles or runs he looks upfield and even occasionally pumps the ball to fake out the D? That was something I complained about with Josh as long as he was here he was so athletic but when he pulled the ball down he never looked downfield so he never was able to throw the ball, and he never used ball fakes to buy him extra running time.

Whoever it was that said they're sick of seeing the back of #75's jersey all the time is dead right, it's amazing how often Big gets spun around is this some technique to try and keep in front of his man running wide?

Leinart made 3 huge mistakes, the INT, taking the sack, and the 4 yard dump pass to Edge in the middle of the field on first down on the last drive. We had to run up and spike so it cost us 20+ seconds, 2 downs, to get 4 yards. Bet he'd love to have that back.

Leinart made 4-5 plays in this game that Warner simply can't make, the throw on the run left to BJ for a first down, a scramble, a rollout to the right for pass and a first, the long pass that Johnson dropped he bought time and still had the arm to get it there. He's still a rookie but there's very little doubt in my mind that he should be starting, I don't care what happens against the Bears this kid impressed the hell out of me.

On Edge, he realy does seem to just stand in the flat and look on pass plays, he's rarely moving is that by design? It just seems that when we dump him the ball he's always starting from a dead stop instead of getting the ball on the run, it happens so often it almost has to be by design but seems odd to me.

How in the heck did they recover that fumble by the backup RB in the redzone when Dansby stripped him it looked liek the ball fell into a pack of Cards, I think their backup TE recovered it what a great play whoever recovered it that was the ballgame for the Chiefs.

As others pointed out the Chiefs WRs REALLY helped us out, 2-3 drops by Parker, a huge drop by Kennison that killed a drive and led to a FG.

The cushion we give has to be by design I agree with that but it was quite weird because the way they setup repeatedly Rolle was giving 3-5 yards more on his side than Green was, and it didn't seem to matter if it was Kennison or the much faster Parker, it's as if they tell Rolle line up deeper?

If not for that drop Johnson would have been huge in that game he made several really nice plays, I feel a lot better about him now than I did, the drop was terrible and Green called him on it said you just can't drop a pass like that, but BJ did make quite a few plays.

I still feel the Bears are a bad matchup for us but I am blown away by Leinart's composure. They said that Jared Allen complained Leinart talks too much for a rookie, I don't know exactly what he means but I am so impressed by how composed and confident he is.

Last whine, on the sequence where we punted after having a 2nd and 1 and running twice and not getting it. Am I alone in thinking Edge DID get the first down on the 2nd down run but the spot was just bad?

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Last whine, on the sequence where we punted after having a 2nd and 1 and running twice and not getting it. Am I alone in thinking Edge DID get the first down on the 2nd down run but the spot was just bad?

You are exactly right Russ

At the game, it sure seemed to me that even Edge thought he had the first down easily -- he hit contact and squirted forward with the ball landing directly on the 30 yard line -- and in fact it seemed that if Edge had simply kept his feet, he could have gotten a half yard more.

At the game, the play came to the side I was sitting on and looking down the field, my reaction at the end of the play was "good, first down" without hesitation.

The ref then runs up and spots it half a yard short.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
They said that Jared Allen complained Leinart talks too much for a rookie, I don't know exactly what he means but I am so impressed by how composed and confident he is.

IIRC, Jaren is a rookie also and has played against Matt before. Doesn't surprise me - Matt was pretty cocky while at USC.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I saw the NFL Replay (I love their commercials) also.

Starting the 3rd qtr we were up 20-10 and I kept thinking "What the heck happened??? How did we lose this game when we were up by 10 into the 4th???"

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Whoever it was that said they're sick of seeing the back of #75's jersey all the time is dead right, it's amazing how often Big gets spun around is this some technique to try and keep in front of his man running wide?

That was me - what a disgrace that performance was. That game signed his ticket out of town as the rumors of him being dealt coincidentally started after Sunday. I can't even begin to relate what quitter that guy is and I defy anyone to watch the video and tell me otherwise.

But you are right about Leinart Russ. For the first time we have a potential stud at the position and its a reason to be genuinely excited for the first time as a Cards fan. I have a discriminant eye for QBs and i cant think of a rookie QB (despite the mistakes in game) who had a better opener - while the offensive gameplan was designed around him passing the ball. And as you stated Russ - it has little to do with the final numbers but with the way he looked and the little things he has already picked up on so early on. I mean we have to put it in perspective. What Matt did on Sunday should'nt be compared to other starting QBs (and even then it was an above average performance) in the league.

He was a rookie.

4 games into the season

Missed 2 weeks of training camp

With no running game

His arguably best weapon on the sideline all game

Against the #4 defense which had yet to give up a passing touchdown

Ummm....thats pretty good. Under most circumstances i would have no expectations for a rookie against this Chicago team on MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL in their second start. But while i dont expect us to win - I expect Matty to acquit himself quite well. That is if that defensive line doesn't knock him out on the second play of the game.......

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
IIRC, Jaren is a rookie also and has played against Matt before. Doesn't surprise me - Matt was pretty cocky while at USC.

This is Jared Allen's third year in the NFL.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More Leinart fawning, do you notice how when he scrambles or runs he looks upfield and even occasionally pumps the ball to fake out the D?

He even directs receivers down the field as he's scrambling.

Hard to believe he's only a rookie sometimes when you're watching him play out there with such composure.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good observations Russ. You said you were impressed with his composure in the the 1st half, what did you think of his composure in the 2nd after he took a few hits? Anything of note?

BJ did make some good catches in the game but a lot of them were for meaningless yards. He didn't make the crucial one that was right in his hands.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good observations Russ. You said you were impressed with his composure in the the 1st half, what did you think of his composure in the 2nd after he took a few hits? Anything of note?

BJ did make some good catches in the game but a lot of them were for meaningless yards. He didn't make the crucial one that was right in his hands.

Probably just the pick and the taking the sack and the dumpoff were to me "less" composed. they had little inserts of Matt talking. After the pick he said it was the right read, but that Law jumped the route and he should have gone elsewhere or thrown it away, he tried to fit it in, but he emphasized it WAS the right read. That impressed me he was saying in effect to Gunther C, no you didn't fool me there, Law just made a great play on a ball I shouldn't have thrown, but I did read the defense.

He said the same thing on the sack I should have thrown it away, I knew it, just didn't get it done. I got the impression he was worried about fumbling although he didn't say that.

I think KC flustered him a bit in the 2nd half with some hits, some different looks, but I never got the impression Matt was overwhelmed. So many times with young QB's you can just see that the game is too fast for them to grasp, I never sensed that with Matt.

I mean if BJ makes that catch, we win the game and Matt has about 275 yards passing(subtracting out the last drive when we would have been running). That's awfully impressive in his first start.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as 'meaningless yards' in a close football game.

Agreed, he seems much better after the catch this year, that one he broke or avoided like 3 tackles, I almost thought it was Anquan for a second.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Is it just me or did Boldin not really do anything to prevent Ty Law from getting the INT? I mean, yeah he shoved him out of bounds, but he just watched law as he caught it and I thought Boldin could have made more of an effort to catch it...

It's near the end of this movie...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXVxjgTPDK0

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Another big time throw Leinart made was the throw to Boldin along the sidelines that was broken up by the safety coming over. It was almost(there's that word associated with the Cards again) a great catch by Boldin but that was a perfect throw in between 2 DB's in a pressure situation. That throw and the throw to BJ on the final drive showed Leinart is definitely big time.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Probably just the pick and the taking the sack and the dumpoff were to me "less" composed. they had little inserts of Matt talking. After the pick he said it was the right read, but that Law jumped the route and he should have gone elsewhere or thrown it away, he tried to fit it in, but he emphasized it WAS the right read. That impressed me he was saying in effect to Gunther C, no you didn't fool me there, Law just made a great play on a ball I shouldn't have thrown, but I did read the defense.

He said the same thing on the sack I should have thrown it away, I knew it, just didn't get it done. I got the impression he was worried about fumbling although he didn't say that.

I think KC flustered him a bit in the 2nd half with some hits, some different looks, but I never got the impression Matt was overwhelmed. So many times with young QB's you can just see that the game is too fast for them to grasp, I never sensed that with Matt.

I mean if BJ makes that catch, we win the game and Matt has about 275 yards passing(subtracting out the last drive when we would have been running). That's awfully impressive in his first start.

I watched the same replay you did and didn't make all of the conclusions you did from Matt's inserted comments. Good stuff Russ. My fear is that he will take so many shots playing behind this leaky OL that his career as a Card will be much shorter than it should be otherwise. Put ML behind that 1975 OL and we would be headed to the SB. I hope Matt can hold up under all of the hits that await him behind this OL.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or did Boldin not really do anything to prevent Ty Law from getting the INT? I mean, yeah he shoved him out of bounds, but he just watched law as he caught it and I thought Boldin could have made more of an effort to catch it...

It's near the end of this movie...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXVxjgTPDK0

Yeah, I am puzzled about that. He usually puts forth an effort that is nothing less than 100%.

I don't know what the heck he was thinking there.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Yeah, I am puzzled about that. He usually puts forth an effort that is nothing less than 100%.

That's what I was thinking because whenever I watch him play he is always putting forward 100%.

:confused:

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah this came up earlier in the week, even on the game thread I think. My take is Anquan came out of his break, realized Law was there and just was surprised that Matt threw the ball. I forget the exact quote Matt said but he said something like I made the right read but he jumped the route I shouldn't ahve thrown it. So it wasn't that Anquan ran the wrong route or even a bad route, just that Law made a great play.

At that point you still wonder why Anquan doesn't try to pop the ball out, but I think maybe he was just so surprised the ball was thrown he froze for a second?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the first half so far, and saw what everyone else saw.

But, at the end of each running play we screwed up, I also hit "rewind" a few times.

As often as I saw #75's back, I also saw guys with 8? on the backs of their jersey's whiffing badly on blocks that would have sprung Edge had the blocks been executed. Wakefield (#87) was the culprit at least 2 or 3 times.

I too agree that Boldin did look like he gave up on the ball that was picked off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the first half so far, and saw what everyone else saw.

But, at the end of each running play we screwed up, I also hit "rewind" a few times.

As often as I saw #75's back, I also saw guys with 8? on the backs of their jersey's whiffing badly on blocks that would have sprung Edge had the blocks been executed. Wakefield was the culprit at least 2 or 3 times.

I too agree that Boldin did look like he gave up on the ball that was picked off.

87 is Wakefield and for the most part I saw him crushing guys on run plays. Sure it wasn't 82 Pope I saw him a couple of times get beaten on run blocks.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
He even directs receivers down the field as he's scrambling. Hard to believe he's only a rookie sometimes when you're watching him play out there with such composure.

Brian:

I know we're only judging him from one game, but the way Matt Leinart looked on Sunday helps make the case for staying in school and playing as a senior. I have to think that Leinart benefited from his additional year at USC, in terms of his development and maturity (if not his draft position).

And, of course, the Cardinals got him as a result, which makes returning for his senior year a brilliant decision. :thumbup:

WC

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05