Various comments after watching game on NFL replay

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I still feel the Bears are a bad matchup for us but I am blown away by Leinart's composure. They said that Jared Allen complained Leinart talks too much for a rookie, I don't know exactly what he means but I am so impressed by how composed and confident he is.

QUOTE]

Maybe Matt invited him out for a drink after the game.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I wish Fitz wasn't hurt but he is so we'll just have to deal with it, to me it's a case again of the line not blocking together as a unit and one or two guys screwing up in a rotating fashion.

When you think about it the level of effort Big is giving, I'd just bench him or put him at guard or something because he's not doing anything at all like he should, I'd almost rather see someone else at the spot who cared but again maybe he's still the best option even given his level of effort, sad.

Matt looks awesome to me, for a rookie he's way ahead of what he should be, lightyears really.

He'll be a great one, now get him some blockers and let's see what he can do.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
The rookie is Tamba Hali
Oh duh, my bad

I thought they were talking about Jared Allen because he play against Matt in a championship in college i believe ...and the comments about matt that jared made.

Last edited:

AZCardDieHard

Reaction score
87 is Wakefield and for the most part I saw him crushing guys on run plays. Sure it wasn't 82 Pope I saw him a couple of times get beaten on run blocks.

I watched the game on DVR and it seems that no matter which TE is in the game they don't block very well. On the sack to Lienert why is the TE Bergen blocking the DE and LD blocking down on the DT? The cards blocking schemes suck! LD is always blocking down and they are trying to block the DE with the TE. LD needs to get his fat butt out there and kill the DE.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh duh, my bad

I thought they were talking about Jared Allen because he play against Matt in a championship in college i believe ...and the comments about matt that jared made.

Jared Allen played at Idaho State, they're exciting but they were never in a championship game while Matt was in college.

He played against OU (Tommie Harris) and Texas in colllege in national title games.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Jared Allen played at Idaho State, they're exciting but they were never in a championship game while Matt was in college.

He played against OU (Tommie Harris) and Texas in colllege in national title games.

Ah, thanks for correcting me. I should have known that.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is it just me or did Boldin not really do anything to prevent Ty Law from getting the INT? I mean, yeah he shoved him out of bounds, but he just watched law as he caught it and I thought Boldin could have made more of an effort to catch it...

It's near the end of this movie...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXVxjgTPDK0

he could have knocked law on his but to prevent the interception. it would have been offensive pass interference, but at least the cardinals could have punted the ball and hopefully got a stop. instead of giveing the chiefs the short field for the field goal or was that when they got a touchdown. it doesn't matter. all in all the cardinals played a decent game. they are still inconsistant. winners are consistant in their play. this team has yet to put two good halves together. defensively or offensively. just to score 6 points in 3 in half qauters is ridculous. they have scored a lot more than that.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How in the heck did they recover that fumble by the backup RB in the redzone when Dansby stripped him it looked liek the ball fell into a pack of Cards, I think their backup TE recovered it what a great play whoever recovered it that was the ballgame for the Chiefs.

You must be registered for see images

Cards let victory slip away

Doug Haller
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 9, 2006 12:00 AM

The Chiefs broke the huddle near the goal line, poised to take the lead in a game they once trailed by two touchdowns. That's when the ball came loose.

Arizona linebacker Karlos Dansby knocked the ball from running back Dee Brown's hands. He grabbed it with his left hand, thinking for a second the Cardinals had pulled off the game's biggest turnover, preserving a 20-20 tie with two minutes remaining.

But fumble recoveries are the closest thing the NFL has to professional wrestling. Once the ball drops, chaos ensues. Players dive in from every angle, the rules no longer apply, possession becomes a fluid concept.

"We had the fumble, but they ended up crawling and scratching and got it away from me," Dansby said. "Two of their guys were trying to break my fingers. I only had it with my one hand. I was trying to roll my body back over it, but I couldn't."

As desert luck would have it, the Chiefs pried the ball from the same hand Dansby had repaired in off-season surgery. That probably played a factor, he said. But no excuses. Wrestling underneath the pile, "that's just football, man. Ain't nothing you can do about it."

Maintaining possession, the Chiefs settled for a 19-yard Lawrence Tynes field goal, the winning points in Sunday's 23-20 victory, spoiling quarterback Matt Leinart's first start and a decent day from the defense.

"I don't know if it was our best defensive game; it's hard to tell until you look at the film," defensive end Chike Okeafor said. "But we played pretty damn good. Just not good enough."

The stat sheet has the Cardinals holding powerful Chiefs running back Larry Johnson to 36 rushing yards. But this morning's highlights will focus on one play, a fourth-quarter breakdown that led to Johnson motoring 78 yards down the sideline, a screen pass that set up the winning field goal.

"He got in and was able to get back to the sideline," free safety Robert Griffith said. "It's a good thing Antrel (Rolle) got on his horse and got over there to stop him and give us a chance."

Many Cardinals felt the Chiefs should have been penalized for holding on the play. But at the same time, they said this goes beyond one no-call.

"I'm not going to lie," linebacker Calvin Pace said. "This is my fourth year here. Some of the things that happen to us, I can't understand it. This is our fifth week playing, and we've been better than every team we played. It always comes down to something.

"When it's time to close it out, we can't close the deal. Good teams do that. Next week we got an even better opponent (the Chicago Bears on Monday Night Football). We come out half-stepping against them, we'll get embarrassed on national TV."

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Last whine, on the sequence where we punted after having a 2nd and 1 and running twice and not getting it. Am I alone in thinking Edge DID get the first down on the 2nd down run but the spot was just bad?

Both I and my brother, and we sit as high up as you can get, for whatever thats worth, we were certain that was first down. We couldn't believe DG didn't challenge. I haven't gone back to review it on tape, but I'm glad someone else thought so too. I think he's just punch drunk from seemingly losing his arse every single time he challenges but I'm sure that was first down.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We come out half-stepping against them, we'll get embarrassed on national TV."

this is what was said by calvin pace. i believe that the cardinals will be pumped and ready to go this monday night. this is good news to use fans. at least the players are reconizing what is going on.

Last edited:

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
This is our fifth week playing, and we've been better than every team we played. It always comes down to something.

Try playing well enough to not put yourself in a position for it to come "down to something"

He may have a point, but it still is kind of a dumb thing to say. You don't lose 4 games all because of freak events and evil refs.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Plus there was plenty of holding by the cardinals O-line. I get sick of players (no matter what team they are on) blaming games on things not being called. And that was a iffy hold at best. Waters was pushing, not pulling, and the cardinal defender happened to turn in such a way it gives the illusion of holding.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus there was plenty of holding by the cardinals O-line. I get sick of players (no matter what team they are on) blaming games on things not being called. And that was a iffy hold at best. Waters was pushing, not pulling, and the cardinal defender happened to turn in such a way it gives the illusion of holding.

Not that you're wrong, but if our OL is doing "plenty of holding", I shudder to think how much worse we'd look if we weren't holding.

:D

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the same replay you did and didn't make all of the conclusions you did from Matt's inserted comments. Good stuff Russ. My fear is that he will take so many shots playing behind this leaky OL that his career as a Card will be much shorter than it should be otherwise. Put ML behind that 1975 OL and we would be headed to the SB. I hope Matt can hold up under all of the hits that await him behind this OL.

The key is to build the offensive team arround Leinart. We have the playmakers in Fitz, Boldin, & James plus a potentially good TE in Pope. Our number one goal in the draft and free agency has to be the OL. Sure there are other holes on defense that must be filled but building the OL to protect Leinart has to be our top priority.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Not that you're wrong, but if our OL is doing "plenty of holding", I shudder to think how much worse we'd look if we weren't holding.

:D

To be honest...I wonder the same thing about KC's oline.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Try playing well enough to not put yourself in a position for it to come "down to something"

He may have a point, but it still is kind of a dumb thing to say. You don't lose 4 games all because of freak events and evil refs.

Exactly. After a while stupidity becomes more than a conicidence.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The key is to build the offensive team arround Leinart. We have the playmakers in Fitz, Boldin, & James plus a potentially good TE in Pope. Our number one goal in the draft and free agency has to be the OL. Sure there are other holes on defense that must be filled but building the OL to protect Leinart has to be our top priority.

I agree. QB's like him don't come along every year and certainly not to to the Cards. Therefore they must put a priority on building that OL to protect him. Apparently from what others have said on this board that the good FA OL next year are gonna be few and far between. That being the case we are gonna have to build it through the draft. I hope ML can last until then.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05