Vazquez to the White Sox for "El Duque", Chris Young, and Luis Vizcaino

peterman

Veteran
Reaction score
PHOENIX -- It appears the Diamondbacks and White Sox are close to a deal that would send Javier Vazquez to Chicago in exchange for pitcher Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez and highly regarded outfielder Chris Young.

The two teams are expected to announce the deal on Wednesday.

Arizona acquired Vazquez last January in a trade that sent Randy Johnson to the Yankees and the veteran exercised his contractual right to demand a trade last month after going 11-15 with a 4.42 ERA in 33 starts in 2005.

Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes, who has worked tirelessly for the past month exploring the market for Vazquez, declined to confirm or deny the trade when reached on Tuesday night.

The potential move would help the D-Backs fill Vazquez's spot in the rotation, but the real key to the deal was Young, a center fielder that has both speed and power.

Last year with Double-A Birmingham, the 22-year-old hit .277 with 41 doubles, 26 homers and 32 stolen bases in 38 attempts. The year before for Class A Kannapolis, he had 24 homers and 31 steals.

Baseball America, which ranked Young as Chicago's sixth-best prospect before his outstanding 2005 season wrote, "Designated as the best athlete and quickest baserunner in the organization, Young is blessed with tremendous speed and is blossoming into a power hitter as well."

Hernandez was 9-9 with a 5.12 ERA for the White Sox last season and probably made his biggest contribution to the world champions in Game 3 of the American League Division Series against the Red Sox.

Hernandez entered the game in the sixth inning with the bases loaded, no outs and the White Sox clinging to a one-run lead. The right-hander got Jason Varitek and Tony Graffanino to pop out before fanning Johnny Damon to end the frame and the White Sox went on to win the game and sweep the series.

Hernandez, whose age has been reported to be anywhere between 36 to 40, defected from Cuba in December of 1997 and pitched for the Yankees from 1998 through 2004 before signing a two-year contract with the White Sox last year. His base salary for next season is $4.5 million, while Vazquez will cost Chicago $11.5 million in 2006 and $12.5 million in 2007. The White Sox were interested in Vazquez because he gives them insurance in case starters Jon Garland and/or Jose Contreras leave the club after next year when they will become free agents.

"We are looking to get better, and we don't want to put ourselves in a position where our first priority is compromised and that's pitching," White Sox GM Kenny Williams told reporters before word of the deal leaked. "We are not trying to break up anything. We are looking to add to the equation, fortify it, and not anything else."

The Diamondbacks' refusal to pick up any part of the money owed Vazquez was believed to be a deal breaker for some teams. The Diamondbacks received $9 million from the Yankees to help offset Vazquez's contract when they acquired him last year.

Arizona also bolstered its bullpen a bit on Tuesday when they signed free agent pitcher Jason Grimsley to a one-year contract. The deal is contingent on Grimsley, who pitched for the Orioles last season, passing a physical.

"He's a guy that has a lot of experience, has a tough mindset and is a ground-ball pitcher, which fits well in our ballpark," Byrnes said.

You must be registered for see images

The 38-year-old had Tommy John surgery in October of 2004 and was out of action until mid-July of last season. Grimsley also was on the disabled list in August with a strained left Achilles' tendon. He did, though, pitch well down the stretch, compiling a 1.23 ERA in eight September outings.

Overall, in 22 games for the Orioles, he was 1-2 with a 5.73 ERA. The Diamondbacks have been looking for a veteran in their bullpen to fill the setup role that Tim Worrell did so well in September of last year. The D-Backs had wanted to bring Worrell back, but he recently signed a two-year contract with the Giants. Grimsley has pitched parts of 14 seasons in the big leagues, going 41-56 with a 4.76 ERA in 533 lifetime games. From 2001-2004 he appeared in an American League-best 292 games

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051214&content_id=1281727&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari
heres the link its from the d-backs official site

thoughts?

Kolo

Reaction score
Vazquez to the White Sox

Per rotoworld, via CBS:
The White Sox are close to acquiring Javier Vazquez from the Diamondbacks for Chris Young, Orlando Hernandez and a second pitcher, according to CBS SportsLine.
Getting Young alone for Vazquez would make this an excellent deal for the Diamondbacks. In El Duque, they'd get a pitcher who wouldn't be much less effective than Vazquez was last season, although he's far from a good bet to throw 200 innings. Hopefully, White Sox GM Ken Williams is at least getting the Diamondbacks to cover a portion of Vazquez's salary

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I knew Garland was a pipe dream, right now he's a younger and better pitcher than Vazquez and will probably make a similar salary a year from now. El Duque hasn't been healthy in forever and is somewhat effective when healthy outside of the Cell's confines. Junkball pitchers like El Duque generally fare better in the NL and facing pitchers will ease the strain on his shoulder. I doubt he matches Vazquez's contribution especially in the amount of innings thrown, but Chris Young is likely the prize of the deal. Looking at his minor league stats and reading a couple scouting reports, he appears very similar to Mike Cameron. Lots of strikeouts but outstanding plate discipline, good power, and great glove.

Kolo

Reaction score
Per Newsday, the previously unnamed pitcher is Luis Vizcaino, who has decent numbers as a middle reliever and is 31. So it's Vazquez for el Duque, Vizcaino, and Chris Young.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Chris Young is not ready to be the opening day CF than this deal sucks

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
If Chris Young is not ready to be the opening day CF than this deal sucks

I beg to differ. I think Chris will need half a season at AAA before he is ready to play up here, but this is still a good deal.

Hernadez can fill in for a rotation spot (although he will probably not fair too well) and (if it is true that we get Vizcaino then we get good immediate bullpen help. So two needs are filled there.

The fact of the matter is, that everyone thinks Vazquez is a #1 starter. He is not!! He is getting paid like a #1 starter, but his performance sucks. So no one will relent to giving up a package for a #3 or #4 who is being paid like a #1. We are lucky to get this kind of deal from anybody!

Not only does it clear salary (and we are still have the money that we got to take on Javy's bloated contract) and get a pretty darn good CF prospect (which we didn't have before. Spare me Ball and Williams talks because they will be fourth outfielders in the majors).

It looks like the new GM is building around the young guys, which is smart considering the farm system we have.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
The only problem I have with this deal is that I absolutely DETEST El Duque. There are maybe only 2 or 3 other players in all of baseball that I hate more. I don't know how I'm gonna bring myself to cheer for this guy. I have a feeling if I see someone go yard on him with the bases loaded my first reaction will be "good".

Damn.

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
The only problem I have with this deal is that I absolutely DETEST El Duque. There are maybe only 2 or 3 other players in all of baseball that I hate more. I don't know how I'm gonna bring myself to cheer for this guy. I have a feeling if I see someone go yard on him with the bases loaded my first reaction will be "good".

Damn.

You will be cheering for the uniform and not the player in this case.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Vasquez only worth one prospect?

I don't know much if anything about this prospect but my take is we got fleeced for Vasquez. We get broken down El Duque and a prospect for a proven starter who consistently eats up innings and has All Star type stuff all be it inconsistent at times. As with many Diamondback deals I can't help but think it is about dumping 12 million per year as opposed to who we are getting back. We could have re-signed Estes and Worrell for stopgap veterans and instead we get Grimsley and Easley , the latter a utility infielder. Wasn't that supposed to be Green's role? How many role players can a team accumulate?

Sorry, but this does not seem to improve anything about the D-backs but the balance sheet.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AzKarl said:
I don't know much if anything about this prospect but my take is we got fleeced for Vasquez. We get broken down El Duque and a prospect for a proven starter who consistently eats up innings and has All Star type stuff all be it inconsistent at times. As with many Diamondback deals I can't help but think it is about dumping 12 million per year as opposed to who we are getting back. We could have re-signed Estes and Worrell for stopgap veterans and instead we get Grimsley and Easley , the latter a utility infielder. Wasn't that supposed to be Green's role? How many role players can a team accumulate?

Sorry, but this does not seem to improve anything about the D-backs but the balance sheet.

I like this deal. Young is one of their top prospects and El Duque could be traded during the season for more prospects.

This deal frees up some money and it's a trade that will benefit the Diamondbacks in the future. The outfield of Quentin, Young and Carlos Gonzalez in 2007 & beyond looks promising.

Sain Cai

Reaction score
What I really don't get is that Vasquez supposedly requested a trade so his family in Puerto Rico could visit easier. Now how does going further north away from PR make it easier?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a good deal. Not excited about El Duque, but 2007 and beyond, we look loaded!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Throwing El Duque out of the deal and the kid, Young, from AA, Viscaino alone makes it worth it to me. A) we were going to lose Vazquez anyway, B) our bullpen has been torched lately, especially middle relief, and Viscaino will help us immediatly in that regard.

To me, IF El Duque and Young do ANYTHING at all to help us from here on out into the future, it's gravy... :D I'm looking at El Duque as a #5 guy in the rotation anyway. If he is .500 in win/loss record, it's all good! :thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I am in Chicago, should a person like this trade for the Sox?

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sain Cai said:
What I really don't get is that Vasquez supposedly requested a trade so his family in Puerto Rico could visit easier. Now how does going further north away from PR make it easier?
He just had the right to demand a trade. The only control he had over the destination was in the creation of a list of six teams that he could block trades to.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Add Young to the already long list of top propects I cant wait to see sport the D-Backs uniform.

Upton, Gonzales, Drew, Quentin.

Now we just need to spend our money on pitchers and let these guys develop.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
6. Chris Young - The third highly touted outfielder in the White Sox top ten is speedster Chris Young. Designated as the best athelete and quickest baserunner in the organization, Young is blessed with tremedous speed and is blossoming into a power hitter as well. He stole 31 bases in 2004 at single-A Kannapolis and also belted 24 homers and 31 doubles to post some staggering numbers. Young is slated for Winston-Salem in 2005 and may come to Birmingham in late 2005 or early 2006.

Kolo

Reaction score
Ths from a Baseball America chat a few months ago about the top Southern League prospects:

Q: K. Williams from Chicago, IL asks:
Is Chris Young truly a 5 tool outfielder? I'm not convinced that he has much of an arm in the outfield, and I question whether or not he will ever be able to hit for a high average.

A: Aaron Fitt: Scouts and managers just loved everything about Chris Young this year. He does have a chance to be a legitimate five-tool guy, as his arm is at least average, and he is learning how to hit very quickly. He made a ton of adjustments from the beginning of the year, showing improved knowledge of the strike zone and an increased ability to hit breaking balls. And he plays the game the right way. Just a terrific prospect who has really improved his stock dramatically since last year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Sain Cai said:

Closer time zone.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
masterphomeg said:
Closer time zone.

See Griffey requesting a trade closer to his Florida home, and winding up in Cincinnati.

Although I liked the Zumaya-Granderson deal a hell of a lot more, this one certainly works.

El Duque will bring a veteran presence to a developing staff. I can see him being this year's Shawn Estes, and replacing him as the #5.

Vizcaino immediately improves a shaky bullpen.

Young however is enough to make this deal well worth it. The guy's hit 50 homers and stole 61 bases in the last two seasons. I envision him, at worst, being a 20-20 guy. Great pickup by the Backs.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rodney (Minneapolis, MN): I'm looking at the BA top 10 rankings and noticed that Brian Anderson is ranked higher than Chris Young for the ChiSox. While I realize Young has been traded, what's the logic there? Young seems to have equal speed/plate discipline, but more power from the raw stats. Is it simply because Anderson is closer to the majors at a similar age?

You must be registered for see images
John Manuel: (2:12 PM ET ) Rodney, those are last year's rankings, that's the logic. Young hadn't played above low Class A coming into 2005. He made one of the more significant jumps of any prospect I can think of in '05 (Brandon Wood made the biggest jump). Young still drew some walks, added power, stole bases and played Mike Cameron-like defense in his first stab at Double-A. He WAS the White Sox' top prospect coming out of 2005, but wow, the OF in Arizona is crowded. Luckily for Young, he can play CF and play it well, and that spot is open in AZ now. I'm not sure he's ready for the big leagues right now, but no one is in his way in CF.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to applaud our new general manager on this deal.

This is certainly no Curt Schilling fleecing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser