Viking guy here. Floyd question

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
NE picked him up after we cut him. I only remember him playing in their first playoff game, where he dropped a big catch. He was inactive for the AFC Championship and the SB. Confirms my opinion of him.

Hope he enjoys his ring. :sarcasm:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you know, or are you guessing?

if you know, just say it

if you dont, i dont think its fair to speculate

I am basing it off of previous posts from the same poster who has connections in the scottsdale bar scene where cardinal players like to go.

However, I am recalling based off of memory so I could be wrong. That is why I prefaced it with I believe.

Jason1970

Reaction score
Dude the guy spent like 5 years here and didn't have one problem until this year.

I really think some people here don't know what a bust is

Floyd top 10 pick, BUST. I think its you that does not know what it means

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You just use the word bust liberally. Ryan leaf was a bust. John cooper was a bust. Floyd was a 5 year starter on our team, thats not a bust. He didnt live up to his draft status but he was a 5 year starter and is now going to be a starter on another team too.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hes a moron and a POS.

He gets his 9th DUI and shrugs like "oh well, everybody makes mistakes, no biggie".

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Floyd needed a change of scenery so hopefully going home and being around Carter will help.

I've told this story before but Floyd indirectly got John Skelton benched when he was a rookie with the Cards. At the beginning of the season Skelton was hurt so Kolb was playing, Floyd didn't know the plays and was constantly lining up incorrectly, but Kolb would see it and move him. if you watched those games it was like why is Floyd constantly in motion is that the offense or something else.

When Skelton started playing, Floyd was still doing it but Skelton was not always moving him, sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't. The coaches were pretty openly stating that it's a QB's job to get everyone lined up correctly but they thought Skelton was the better QB so they working with him.

I think it was against the Falcons(?) we ran a play a big 3rd down play where the target was supposed to be Housler. Floyd lined up on the wrong side, Skelton didn't move him, snapped the ball, Floyd ran his route right into Housler who had to slow up to avoid him, total cluster the ball fell incomplete. We'd just recovered a fumble or got an INT(forget which) and Whiz was just furious and benched Skelton right after that.

It not only cost Skelton, it caused issues within the team since everyone knew Floyd was the one lining up incorrectly and while they knew the QB is supposed to move the guy they were all wondering when is he going to learn the plays. He got better but it still wasn't all that uncommon to see Palmer moving him once or twice a game when he was a starter, and it drove the coaches nuts they could not rely on Floyd.

He has talent, he makes spectacular catches, he blocks. But the key for him has always been mental, getting in control off the field, and paying attention to detail. I can't tell you how many times we'd see a play where he ran the wrong route or cut off his route or slowed up on a deep ball where you're just wondering what in the world is going through his head.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Right, but in his five years here as a pro, nothing from the folks like 88 above until he was gone.
It still doesn't mean he didn't have alcohol issues either. Who knows what he did outside the facility as far as partying or whatever.

The reality is people driving the influence get caught a small portion of the time, compared to the times driving impaired I'm most certain. IMO it's similar to guys getting popped by the NFL on weed or other drugs they use. Truth!!!

Buckybird

Reaction score
It still doesn't mean he didn't have alcohol issues either. Who knows what he did outside the facility as far as partying or whatever.

The reality is people driving the influence get caught a small portion of the time, compared to the times driving impaired I'm most certain. IMO it's similar to guys getting popped by the NFL on weed or other drugs they use. Truth!!!

Bottom line is Floyd has been 3 times no matter when it occurred.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I'm not certain you know what either or both of these things mean.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think it was against the Falcons(?) we ran a play a big 3rd down play where the target was supposed to be Housler. Floyd lined up on the wrong side, Skelton didn't move him, snapped the ball, Floyd ran his route right into Housler who had to slow up to avoid him, total cluster the ball fell incomplete. We'd just recovered a fumble or got an INT(forget which) and Whiz was just furious and benched Skelton right after that.

It was an INT.

Funny thing, Whiz started Ryan Lindley the next week against the Jets, Lindley did the same thing, and threw the same interception, and Whiz kept him in.

Whiz was abysmal without a QB picked out for him, and played favorites all the time.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Cards fans. I spent a little time here when you guys came close to getting AP from us. You all know him best so I am wondering what you guys think Floyds chances of success are in MN. He seems to jave a lot of talent, but outside of a year or two, he hasnt played up to his abilities. Was this all related to his partying or did he just not put forth the effort? I think the situation is good for him, having his dad here and his friend Chris Carter to lean on. If he is ever going to play up to his potential, this is probably the best place for him. I just wonder if he has it in him to put forth tbe effort to become great. Thanks for your responses.

You will find there isn't a lot of love for Floyd but he was our second best receiver for a reason. He has the tools to dominate a game and does so probably 2-3 times a year. Then he is average to below average for the rest.

It's not a physical issue but a mental one. You would think that Larry Fitzgerald would be the ideal mentor there but it didn't work out. It may work in Minnesota.

Not sure if there is a "Old Town Scottsdale" equivalent there. Guys who like to party have real issues in Old Town Scottsdale, where the ladies and liquor are basically everywhere.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hello Cards fans. I spent a little time here when you guys came close to getting AP from us. You all know him best so I am wondering what you guys think Floyds chances of success are in MN. He seems to jave a lot of talent, but outside of a year or two, he hasnt played up to his abilities. Was this all related to his partying or did he just not put forth the effort? I think the situation is good for him, having his dad here and his friend Chris Carter to lean on. If he is ever going to play up to his potential, this is probably the best place for him. I just wonder if he has it in him to put forth tbe effort to become great. Thanks for your responses.

To answer your question.... The only person who knows the answer is Floyd.

Watch his highlights in AZ. The guy has it in him to be GREAT. He had a couple of games in Seattle where he carried us to victory through absolutely spectacular catches.

However he will also have games where he's invisible and drops easy passes.

So to answer your question, I think he still has the ability to do great things but unfortunately he lacks character and accountability. I'm not sure how someone who lacks those things can be great, but despite popular belief, people can change.

If CC and the rest of your guys can help him out with that, I'd be happy for Floyd. However since you are an NFC team, I wish for him to drop every critical pass should we meet in the playoffs. :)

I dont think you're wrong to be hopeful or tempted by Floyd's ability, it's definitely there. I hope he can get his head on straight for his sake and yours.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was an INT.

Funny thing, Whiz started Ryan Lindley the next week against the Jets, Lindley did the same thing, and threw the same interception, and Whiz kept him in.

Whiz was abysmal without a QB picked out for him, and played favorites all the time.

Right but Lindley was a rookie, Skelton wasn't. That's why Whiz was so mad at him he'd been failing to spot Floyd lining up wrong all year.

Buckybird

Reaction score
You will find there isn't a lot of love for Floyd but he was our second best receiver for a reason. He has the tools to dominate a game and does so probably 2-3 times a year. .

Man Chris I'm not so sure he was our 2nd best WR. Smokey was outstanding in 2015 & beat Floyd in every category. I'd be willing to bet teams fear Smokey much more than Floyd!!! As you say showing up 2-3 games a year isn't all that special so let's hope #12 is over his health issues because he along with JJ make this offense soooooo much more explosive & fearful IMO than a team with Floyd on it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He wasn't a top ten pick and up until last year he was pretty much the best WR in that entire draft.

4 WR were drafted in the first round that year

5 Justin Blackmon
13 Micheal Floyd
20 Kendel Wright
30 AJ Jenkins

So when you draft a player at a certain position and he pretty much becomes the best player from that draft at that position he's not a bust.

Justin Blackmon who was one of the biggest washouts in the history of the NFL draft that's a bust. We got a solid #2 WR to compliment Fitz and our passing game for what 4/5 years? How is that a bust? What's the average NFL career anyway these days with injuries and all like what 2 years?

Save me the could of would of should of draft stuff because you can play that game with every team in the NFL.

Not everyone you draft is going to be a star people don't understand that.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Floyd needed a change of scenery so hopefully going home and being around Carter will help.

I've told this story before but Floyd indirectly got John Skelton benched when he was a rookie with the Cards. At the beginning of the season Skelton was hurt so Kolb was playing, Floyd didn't know the plays and was constantly lining up incorrectly, but Kolb would see it and move him. if you watched those games it was like why is Floyd constantly in motion is that the offense or something else.

When Skelton started playing, Floyd was still doing it but Skelton was not always moving him, sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't. The coaches were pretty openly stating that it's a QB's job to get everyone lined up correctly but they thought Skelton was the better QB so they working with him.

It not only cost Skelton, it caused issues within the team since everyone knew Floyd was the one lining up incorrectly and while they knew the QB is supposed to move the guy they were all wondering when is he going to learn the plays. He got better but it still wasn't all that uncommon to see Palmer moving him once or twice a game when he was a starter, and it drove the coaches nuts they could not rely on Floyd.

He has talent, he makes spectacular catches, he blocks. But the key for him has always been mental, getting in control off the field, and paying attention to detail. I can't tell you how many times we'd see a play where he ran the wrong route or cut off his route or slowed up on a deep ball where you're just wondering what in the world is going through his head.

Lol Skelton got Skelton benched by being John Skelton.

I would say Whiz caused the problems more so than a rookie WR. Hell Docket pretty much told him to F off

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Look at it this way - 2016 was his contract year. He said in an interview before the season that he expected to get paid like the elites, such as Antonio Brown. on his next contract. He had every incentive to put forth the best effort of his career in 2016, and he failed miserably. That was perhaps the worst contract year season by any potentially elite-salaried player in the history of the league.

Was the DUI an indication that he'd had a drinking problem throughout the season? We'll never know, we can only speculate. What about the rest of his career, which has been disappointing? We don't know. Either way, he truly headed in the wrong direction last year, in a big way. I'm not optimistic that he'll turn it around, because in interviews he sounded like he didn't care about what had happened, and just didn't "get it". The Cards have said that the main reason they released him was his behavior after the fact, and his lack of remorse for what he'd done.

Good luck to the Vikes and to Floyd. I truly hope he gets it together. I have little confidence that it's gonna happen though.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right, but in his five years here as a pro, nothing from the folks like 88 above until he was gone.

Well he didn't get another DUI. We knew his history when we drafted him. I 'thought' he was being more responsible. I'm not against people consuming alcohol. I never heard my friend say he saw him get into a car.

He got a DUI, which then proves he WASN'T, at least that once, and likely quite a bit more. It's very possible he became MORE responsible at first, then after a time, became less responsible, and less responsible until he got caught.

Why are you trying to turn this into a... oh it wasn't a problem until he was gone and now I'M trashing him?

I wish him luck in Minnesota.

But from his recent transgression we have learned two things....

#1 He didn't learn his lesson by getting his DUI
#2 He is still out and about drinking (maybe again being... more responsible... until when? Who knows)

Either way it's not here. Doesn't effect us.

But... a guy from Minnesota wants the low down, and the low down is... he's still drinking. So ALL bets are off.

Meanwhile if you want to know who I'm worried about (just so a few years from now [or months]) you don't say I didn't warn you and 'only bring it up' after they're gone....

Just look back at a recent puff piece nationally about one of our guys and put it together. Hopefully he can pull back. Hopefully he was doing it because he wasn't starting. Hopefully a lot of things, but the odds are....

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I really started watching football in the late 70s it was kinda known alot of players played hard partied harder. I have no problem if these kids want to go to a bar or club and let loose, just don't drive, and don't let it get in the way of doing your job.

My take on Floyd he came out of college very entitled and never got past that. He is talented but I always have wondered how hard he worked at his job, IMO didn't improve very much at the little things and that was why he never developed into a number 1. A change of scenery was the best thing for both him and the Cards, I do wish him well hope he can find his focus in Minnesota.

Reaction score
No clue. Larry is the only one I can think of that would have a national puff piece article but I don't recall one. I really don't think he drinks much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05