Vujanic

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Toward the end of last year we were talking alot about bringing Vujanic over for this season.

Everyone including the Suns seemed pretty excited about him.

My question is what has changed besided the addition of Nash? People have stopped talking about him, and also act like he has no value in trade talks either.

I personally see Barbosa as more of a SG. If we dont get Q, would Vujanic be an option as backup PG?

I dont know if Vujanic would be a good fit here or not.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I think be for free agency even started they were not going to look at bring him over. I think they will use him as trade bait (someone who has some value but no cap hit) Might be a good piece to move Howard or get a big man instead of a draft pick.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
The price to buy out his contract was to high as the SUNS only found this out towards the end of last year.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we dont get Q, then I think the suns should look at going after Vujacic.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i think at most he has "throw in" value. makes the package look more attractive, but doesn't make or break a deal. he prolly holds little, to no, value on his own at this point with the bigger buyout, the advancing age (he's not old, but he's no 22 year old as he continues to play overseas), and no one really knows his full game (by all the varying accounts we were inundated with when the trade first went down).

i'd like to see him over here if q is matched, but it won't happen. he doesn't want to play for a team that just signed nash and has a young project in barbosa already on the squad.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
It is hard to find any info on him. I know that his contract in europe is up after this year. I think Nash would be great for him but I dont think he will see it that way with a min. contract in the NBA.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One comment by D'Antoni was interesting. He said that he only wanted to train one young point guard at a time. When added to buyout, I think the Suns decided several months ago to let Vujanic continue to play in Europe and work on his PG skills there. Then they will look at bring him over next year if the situation is right.

BTW, I don't see them trading him unless the other team offers a heck of a lot. I certainly would not trade him before the Olympics where he has the potential of making a big splash.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
One comment by D'Antoni was interesting. He said that he only wanted to train one young point guard at a time. When added to buyout, I think the Suns decided several months ago to let Vujanic continue to play in Europe and work on his PG skills there. Then they will look at bring him over next year if the situation is right.

BTW, I don't see them trading him unless the other team offers a heck of a lot. I certainly would not trade him before the Olympics where he has the potential of making a big splash.
The problem is that his team in Europe doesn't want him to work on his PG skills. The team doesn't work with NBA teams to develope tallent for them.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone break down his contract in europe? What will it cost the SUNS to buy it out?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wsupkid said:
Can anyone break down his contract in europe? What will it cost the SUNS to buy it out?
Sorry, we'd rather work on rumor and innuendo than facts. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I haven't heard anything about what the deal looks like.

As for him developing his PG skills, it is hard to know if his low assist level is due to the team or his shoot first style. People who have seen him play give different reports. My guess is that he would end up as more of a combo guard than a pure point guard like Nash.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Sorry, we'd rather work on rumor and innuendo than facts. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I haven't heard anything about what the deal looks like.

As for him developing his PG skills, it is hard to know if his low assist level is due to the team or his shoot first style. People who have seen him play give different reports. My guess is that he would end up as more of a combo guard than a pure point guard like Nash.

As far as assists and creating offense go I think he would fall somewhere between Barbosa and Steve Nash. If he played 35 minutes per game (obviously he won't in Phoenix) he would probably average around 6 assists per game. I think they will trade his rights within the next year.

Joe Mama

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Assuming we don't get Q, could we possibly sign Vujacic AND Dampier?

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
NJYAJ09 said:
Assuming we don't get Q, could we possibly sign Vujacic AND Dampier?

I would think so, since we own the rights to Vujanic, and we can go over the cap to sign our own players. Just would have to sign Dampier first.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If i remember correctly, Vujanic makes good money currently, much more than the NBA's minimum (I think he will make somewhere between 2 and 3 mil this season). Also, he wants an opportunity to start in the NBA, which is one of the reasons NY didn't bring him over, they had too many pg's. Plus there's the buyout. So I doubt we'll see Vujanic this season, and we might not see him ever in a Suns uniform if he is not willing to come off the bench.

BigBuddy

Reaction score
Griffin said:
If i remember correctly, Vujanic makes good money currently, much more than the NBA's minimum (I think he will make somewhere between 2 and 3 mil this season).

Impossible. There are only few guys in Europe that earn more than 1M, most of them playing in the Russian Superleague. I think Milos gets no more than 1.5M for a two-years deal, and 1.2 sound even more probable. Suns could have him for 0.5M salary plus 1.5M buyout.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Suns could have him for 0.5M salary plus 1.5M buyout.

Maybe, but the buyout would count against the cap. You can't pay more than the minimum to a second-round pick unless you have cap room. The Suns can't get Vujanic this year if they spend all of their remaining money on Richardson or Dampier.

sunsfn

Reaction score
It was reported that Vujanic signed a 3 year contract (now in 2nd year) for 2 mil. a year. He signed this after he decided not to play for the Knicks.
It also said he had a buyout and it was about 500,000.

The thinking is the suns could sign him for about 1.5 mil a year for multiple years.

This was reported shortly after the trade with N.Y.

:cool:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
It was reported that Vujanic signed a 3 year contract (now in 2nd year) for 2 mil. a year. He signed this after he decided not to play for the Knicks.
It also said he had a buyout and it was about 500,000.

The thinking is the suns could sign him for about 1.5 mil a year for multiple years.

This was reported shortly after the trade with N.Y.

:cool:

The $2 million salary was widely reported but the exact size of the buyout was not. I'm guessing it is more than the half mil, but that is only a guess.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
Griffin said:
If i remember correctly, Vujanic makes good money currently, much more than the NBA's minimum (I think he will make somewhere between 2 and 3 mil this season). Also, he wants an opportunity to start in the NBA, which is one of the reasons NY didn't bring him over, they had too many pg's. Plus there's the buyout. So I doubt we'll see Vujanic this season, and we might not see him ever in a Suns uniform if he is not willing to come off the bench.
The SUNS have never been afraid to show off their point guards even with a proven starter (KJ). Many times in the past they have played small ball with 2 point guards on the floor. ( Steve Nash, Sox )

To get enough trade value fur Vujanic I can see them playing him and Nash at the same time. If they were looking to trade him for future help.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wsupkid said:
The SUNS have never been afraid to show off their point guards even with a proven starter (KJ). Many times in the past they have played small ball with 2 point guards on the floor. ( Steve Nash, Sox )

To get enough trade value fur Vujanic I can see them playing him and Nash at the same time. If they were looking to trade him for future help.

There has been considerable discussion as to whether he even is a point guard or simply a small shooting guard. What is not disputed is that he can score and would be nice to have coming in off the bench. Perhaps next year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd say that the rights for Milos are for sale--but not on sale.

He can play in Europe and it doesn't cost the Suns a thing. He's a known commodity, unlike a draft pick that has a value that cannot be determined until season's end and the lotto is held.

What we can hope is that Milos really has a good year in the Euroleage, and then a team that is shopping for a point guard comes calling. A team like the Lakers really could use him.

With Nash and Leandro, he is an insurance policy and a bargaining chip for us. I cannot see any real future for him in a Suns uni.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
he's more of a combo guard or a 2 guard then a point gaurd. Hes better at creating offense then distributing it. IMO, i think the kid is better then Casey Jacobson.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I'm not getting it. 95% of the people on this board have never seen Vujanic play, yet opinions of him are not hard to find.

Why even dangle him if he can improve your team?

The silence is deafening from the Suns' camp.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The silence is deafening from the Suns' camp.

I think so too, but I'm trying to ration my "negative" posts. In any case, I think his trade value is right around zero.