Warner, 'D' lead Cards to victory

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
A push in right direction

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 21, 2005 12:00 AM

ST. LOUIS - For the Cardinals, Sunday afternoon started with quarterback Kurt Warner acknowledging the cheering fans and ended with owner Bill Bidwill wryly noting the crowd's early departure.

Most of what fell in between went pretty much the Cardinals' way, too, as they beat St. Louis 38-28 in front of an unusually quiet crowd of 65,750 at the Edward Jones Dome.

It was the most complete game of the season for the Cardinals, which seems like feint praise given their 3-7 record.

But Warner was sharp, completing 27 of 39 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns in his first game in St. Louis since leaving nearly two years ago. The defense held the Rams to just 6 yards rushing on 12 carries and had five sacks. And the special teams contributed three field goals by Neil Rackers and a 90-yard kickoff return that led to a touchdown that put the Rams (4-6) away.

Wisely, the Cardinals didn't try to make more of the victory than they should have.

"For us, we think it's a step in the right direction," said receiver Anquan Boldin, who caught eight passes for 105 yards and a touchdown. "We can't just dwell on this one win."

It was memorable because of Warner, who led the Rams to a Super Bowl victory and won two league MVP awards here.

When the Cardinals offense took the field for the first time, the crowd greeted Warner warmly, and he responded with a wave.

Then he starting winging it.

He found Boldin often. Larry Fitzgerald caught nine passes for 104 yards and a touchdown. Warner wasn't intercepted and he was sacked just once.

It was Warner's first victory as the Cardinals starter, and he noted the irony of it coming in St. Louis.

"I wish my first would have come a long time ago," he said.

In the final minutes, fans streamed toward the exits and Bidwill, who moved the Cardinals from St. Louis to Arizona in 1988, couldn't help but notice.

"The parking lot is emptying out early," he said with a wry smile.

The Rams' season is headed for the exit, too.

Coach Mike Martz, on medical leave with a heart ailment, has feuded with management.

Assistant coaches have scuffled in practice, and one player anonymously criticized others in a recent Sports Illustrated article.

The Rams looked just as discombobulated Sunday.

Using a scheme that featured safety Adrian Wilson blitzing nearly every down, the Cardinals limited running back Steven Jackson to 6 yards on 12 carries.

They had considerable success throwing - 385 yards and three touchdowns - but the Cardinals made them pay for it.

A blitzing Wilson knocked Marc Bulger out of the game in the third quarter. Linebacker Darryl Blackstock forced a fumble in the fourth quarter on a blitz, which led to a touchdown.

"You bunch of losers," one Rams fan yelled near the end of the game. "How many guys are you going to get hurt?"

The Rams weren't the same without Bulger, who suffered a shoulder injury, although backup Jamie Martin threw a touchdown pass late.

"It's obvious when we lose Marc, it hurts us because he's the guy in the offense," Rams receiver Torry Holt said.

When defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast introduced the game plan Wednesday, Wilson knew he had a chance for a big day.

"I told Clancy on the sideline during the game that I'd been ready since Week 1," said Wilson, who had eight tackles, including three sacks.

Defensively, the Cardinals played much better than in recent weeks, when they missed numerous tackles and played sloppy football.

They shut down Jackson and made the Rams one-dimensional. The Rams ran the ball just twice in the second half.

"Obviously, they knew what was coming," Jackson said. "Their defensive coordinator and their defense executed."

Despite their problems, the Rams led 17-16 at the start of the fourth quarter.

A 9-yard touchdown pass from Warner to tight end Adam Bergen, and a two-point conversion reception by Boldin, gave the Cardinals a 24-17 lead with 8:11 left.

A field goal pulled the Rams to within four points, but Reggie Swinton took the kickoff 90 yards before being tackled at the Rams 5 by cornerback Ron Bartell.

After the game, Swinton came off the field shaking his head.

"I'm embarrassed," Swinton said. "I ain't never been caught in my life."

It didn't matter. Arizona scored two more touchdowns and led 38-20.

"It gives guys a renewed confidence," defensive tackle Ross Kolodziej said of the victory. "We have to stay hungry and understand why it feels so good today."

What we learned

Offense
It's amazing how much more efficient things operate when there is at least some semblance of a running game. The Cardinals gained 94 yards on 26 carries against the Rams, including a long of 19 by Marcel Shipp. That's his longest run of the year. Backup J.J. Arrington is getting an increasing amount of work each week, and it's deserved. He no longer looks hesitant, and his speed and quickness give the Cardinals a different dimension. The club could still use a third receiver to complement Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Rookie LeRon McCoy failed to make a couple of route adjustments on blitzes. The Cardinals are starting to make better use of their tight ends in the passing game, too.

Defense

Last week's emphasis on tackling provided dividends Sunday. The Cardinals missed very few tackles and were able to keep the Rams in check. The defensive line did a much better job against the run, limiting St. Louis to just 6 yards. The Cardinals are going to have to continue to manufacture a pass rush, however. End Chike Okeafor is the only proven pass rusher. On Sunday, the Cardinals blitzed strong safety Adrian Wilson nearly every play. He had three sacks and could have had at least two more. That scheme leaves rookie cornerback Eric Green without much help, and the Rams exploited that. But it was a great effort Sunday by at team that was missing several key starters.

Special teams

Neil Rackers is having one of the best years a kicker has ever had. He has made 31 straight, including six of 50 yards or more. He came through again Sunday with three field goals. The kickoff return team finally produced a big play, a 90-yard return by Reggie Swinton, who looked close to breaking a punt return, too. The coverage teams were solid. The Rams' onside kick barely went over the outstretched hand of receiver Fitzgerald, and the Rams recovered. The Cardinals had a 10-point lead, so there was a cushion, but it's a detail that shouldn't be overlooked.

- Kent Somers
View from the Press Box
Quarterback Kurt Warner is playing like he has a few more years left. He's getting rid of the ball in a nice rhythm, taking a minimal number of sacks and providing desperately needed veteran leadership on offense. It helped Sunday that the offensive line opened some holes, and coordinator Keith Rowen did a nice job of play calling, running just enough to keep the Rams honest.

- Kent Somers

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/1121cards1121.html

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
What's really impressive about this is that it's a ROAD win. This team finally came out ready to play. For my money the biggest play of the game was the forced fumble by Jackson at the 2-minute warning. That's a key six point swing just before the half.

Extend Kurt Warner now!!!!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
"I told Clancy on the sideline during the game that I'd been ready since Week 1," said Wilson, who had eight tackles, including three sacks.

Hmm, interesting. Sounds like maybe Wilson's problems have been the schemes holding him back?

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
That isn't the way I read it. Wilson just finally made some plays. It wasn't just him though. The entire D hustled yesterday. What sucks is they waited until week 11 to finally play a game like that. Was it real progress or just a dismal performance on the part of the lambs? Probably both but if the D plays like that the rest of the season, this team will have a chance every game. Just like they would have the first 9.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Stout said:
Hmm, interesting. Sounds like maybe Wilson's problems have been the schemes holding him back?
I think it's a case of Dansby being out - since Dansby did a lot of the blitzing and got the sacks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05