Warner Signs!!!!!!!!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli....this group of f/a is average or less at best .....don't get your knickers tied in a snit.

I agree. I think the is the least exciting group of free agents I've ever seen.

zuchini

Rookie
Reaction score
If that's really a signing bonus and not a roster bonus -or- really a two year deal and not a one year with a team option for the second, I don't understand what the negotiations were about. They ended up giving MORE than Warner had asked for in the latest "offer" from his agent. I'm interested in the particulars of the deal. I find it odd that they took all that negotiating time last night to get more money in warner's pocket than what he was asking for.

Who cares? Does any of that really matter?

Didn't you just post that it didn't matter and you wanted to move on?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Hang on...

Did we sign Kurt Warner today?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares? Does any of that really matter?

Didn't you just post that it didn't matter and you wanted to move on?

It does really matter. A lot. It's the point of the future of the team and wondering where their heads are at beyond this upcoming season.

I said it doesn't matter that I think they overpaid, and I was just glad they were done with it so we could get on with other contracts.

That doesn't mean I don't wonder why they did certain things, and how they structured it.

Does my post bother you? Why?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
When Shane & I were in Flagstaff last July, we both were surprised at how good Warner looked in comparison to Leinart, and yet Matt remained the #1 for the next 2 weeks until the Oakland debacle.

I am fully of the opinion that Whisenhunt is shooting straight when he said last year "that he went with the QB who gives the team the best chance to win". If Leinart is ever going to see the field, then he needs to be that QB, and the good news is that he only has one person he needs to convince. IMHO, if Whiz ultimately runs Leinart off, it won't be because we wasn't given a chance and therefore it won't come as a surprise.

The really good news is that this situation is perfect for the continued success of the Cardinals. And while I have personal opinions about who I would like to see leading us to that success, I am more than happy to put that aside when the team is playing up to its potential with someone else.

JTS

To further your point. Per Urban

-- Great news for Warner. Maybe not so much for Matt Leinart, of course. Coach Ken Whisenhunt on his backup QB: “Matt wants to play football. He is a good football player and (sitting) is never easy. But I think a lot of things can happen during an NFL season. I don’t think you can say with certainty what is going to happen. Matt has done an outstanding job preparing himself to play. I know when it is his turn to play – and who knows when that will be – he’ll be ready to play.”

-- That said, it probably wasn’t surprising when Whisenhunt sounded oddly calm when asked about the concern had Warner actually left: “I have a great deal of respect for Kurt and what he has done, but I feel pretty good about Matt Leinart and Brian St. Pierre as well. When you go into free agency, you always have to be prepared to lose the player. … I always hoped Kurt would be back and that was the goal, but we were still confident in our team.”

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
To further your point. Per Urban

-- Great news for Warner. Maybe not so much for Matt Leinart, of course. Coach Ken Whisenhunt on his backup QB: “Matt wants to play football. He is a good football player and (sitting) is never easy. But I think a lot of things can happen during an NFL season. I don’t think you can say with certainty what is going to happen. Matt has done an outstanding job preparing himself to play. I know when it is his turn to play – and who knows when that will be – he’ll be ready to play.”

-- That said, it probably wasn’t surprising when Whisenhunt sounded oddly calm when asked about the concern had Warner actually left: “I have a great deal of respect for Kurt and what he has done, but I feel pretty good about Matt Leinart and Brian St. Pierre as well. When you go into free agency, you always have to be prepared to lose the player. … I always hoped Kurt would be back and that was the goal, but we were still confident in our team.”

I should probably just make that second piece from Urban my sig so every time someone trys to drop a "Wiz hates Matt" theory I can say "read the sig sucka!"

A coach who doesn't feel good about his back up situation doesn't make that kind of comment during the re-signing presser of the Super Bowl starting QB and sound both calm and confident about it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Excellent. I very much don't like how the deal was structured, but that doesn't really matter right now. We have him back and now we're ready to improve on this team to get back to the big dance. What does that leave us in cap space, and will we be able to get active in finding good bargains?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Warner: Two and done

As we finished up the press conferences with Kurt Warner and Ken Whisenhunt and Rod Graves, Warner made it clear that, while you "never say never," he plans to retire after playing out this new two-year contract. "I'm old," Warner joked, and he would be 40 if he played into another deal.

Working on the story now and will update as soon as possible on the home page. One of the most intriguing anecdotes? Warner said he knew about 45 minutes into his visit to San Francisco he needed to stay in Arizona and not go to the 49ers. Since reports said Warner was in the Bay Area nine hours, it'd be interesting to know what Warner was thinking during the wining and dining.
Free food and wine????

:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free food and wine????

:D

The full quote from Kurt is that 45 minutes into his visit he turned to Brenda and said God is telling me to stay in Arizona. He said Brenda told him to try and be more open to what SF had to say but he told her a few minutes later that God continued to tell him that he was supposed to stay in Arizona.

When they were on the plane to come back to Arizona he told his agent to do whatever was necessary to get a deal done with the Cardinals.

So if you're Graves that has to be a pretty good feeling knowing God is involved in steering players to your team.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The full quote from Kurt is that 45 minutes into his visit he turned to Brenda and said God is telling me to stay in Arizona. He said Brenda told him to try and be more open to what SF had to say but he told her a few minutes later that God continued to tell him that he was supposed to stay in Arizona.

When they were on the plane to come back to Arizona he told his agent to do whatever was necessary to get a deal done with the Cardinals.

So if you're Graves that has to be a pretty good feeling knowing God is involved in steering players to your team.
Watch out NFL!

We've got God on our side!

*******!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI one of the stories in the local media today said sources claim the 49ers offered 2 years 30 million 20 million guaranteed. When those numbers were publicly put out, Scot McCloughan emailed the writer and said I need to reiterate that we did NOT make a formal offer for Kurt Warner, we had preliminary discussions only, at some point it became clear what direction he was going so we never got serious.

McCloughan also said he personally was satisfied that Warner was telling the truth when he told the 49ers he was not simply using them that he had been seriously considering them.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hope Kurt never discovers that microchip receiver I had implanted in his ear and I really need to stay away from him. I don't want him to recognize my voice.:D

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I hope Kurt never discovers that microchip receiver I had implanted in his ear and I really need to stay away from him. I don't want him to recognize my voice.:D

You do look a little like George Burns. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05