Warner Signs!!!!!!!!!

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
So I'm guessing our new price-increased ST invoices can now be sent out.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I got your back on this one.

Leinart is too valuable as a #2 (see Matt Cassel) to let go and is a great insurance policy at this point, especially when you see what happened to QB's like Gannon, O'Donnell, Johnson, & Dilfer to name a few. You know, the guys who dropped off a cliff after experiencing a late career re-birth.

That being said, I'm glad Warner re-signed with the Cards and they front-loaded the contract as much as possible. Now I can hardly wait for training camp and see for myself how Leinart comes into camp. If he does what Warner did last year and come in with a chiseled exterior and an inner-fire to take out the Camp #1, then I think that Leinart could win the starting job the old-fashioned way, by EARNING it.

If he doesn't show up in Flagstaff looking this way, then he's gone after next year, and personally I'd say "Good Riddance".

JTS

Once again, excellent grasp!!:thumbup:

chickenhead

Reaction score
Yes it is scary to think of losing both Warner and Leinart 2 yrs from now, but honestly, I am very happy to have them both now. Injuries are common and too many teams take a huge risk when it comes to having a legit backup.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad he came to his senses, wish he hadn't taken this long.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like Warner a lot. I am glad he is going to finish his NFL career with the Cardinals. That being said, I also like Leinart a lot as well. I hope we can keep Leinart pacified long enough to take over the reins from Warner two years from now. That is a long time for him to wait to get his career going again, but I think the Cardinals would be making a big mistake to trade him away and then be left without a viable solution at the QB position in 2 years.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Warner a lot. I am glad he is going to finish his NFL career with the Cardinals. That being said, I also like Leinart a lot as well. I hope we can keep Leinart pacified long enough to take over the reins from Warner two years from now. That is a long time for him to wait to get his career going again, but I think the Cardinals would be making a big mistake to trade him away and then be left without a viable solution at the QB position in 2 years.

No way Leinart goes anywhere, you don't spend this kind of cash, and this much time grooming the kid just to let him walk.

Think of Warner as Montana and Leinart to Steve Young.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
very nice glad we got warner back, hopefully this helps boldin makes up his mind to stay here. But hey even if we don't resign boldin we have breaston

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Great for Kurt, but I feel badly for Matt. His former backup is getting paid big bucks in KC, and poor Matt can't even sniff the field.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with dback jon. Overpaid. I'm glad it's finally done, so the drama can be finished, but I was hoping for retirement/SF/anything else.

Oh, well. I sure hope you're right, SoCal, & we keep Leinart.

Go Cards!!!

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Warner better not stink it up. He put the team in a tough position with his contract demands. I'd be shocked if Leinart agrees to a contract restructure next year, forcing us to take the 15 mil cap hit or cut him. Worse case scenario, Leinart doesn't restructure, we cut him, Warner gets hurt in '10 and we are in the long search for a QB again.

Oh well, water under the bridge, and hopefully Warner can lead us back to the Super Bowl this year.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Az Finest and JtS, my preference is to keep Leinart this year and hope (as someone else already said) that he plays so well this preseason that the team won't hesitate to go to him in 2010 if Warner's play falls off.

My thesis has been that we don't really know how confident Whisenhunt is in Leinart so don't be surprised if Matt gets dumped this year or next.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I hope no one listened to Jurecki just now becuase his capanomics and explaination of the deal was complete crap.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I'm glad Warner saga ends happily even though we ended up paying more in guarantees... on to other important issues

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
I hope no one listened to Jurecki just now becuase his capanomics and explaination of the deal was complete crap.

him and bickley have no idea what's going on as usual. bickley is trying to figure out why the cardinals are guaranteeing $19m instead of the $12m warner offered yesterday. i guess he doesn't understand that warner's offer was really for $19m guaranteed.

maybe he is just playing dumb so he can bash another local team as usual.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Az Finest and JtS, my preference is to keep Leinart this year and hope (as someone else already said) that he plays so well this preseason that the team won't hesitate to go to him in 2010 if Warner's play falls off.

My thesis has been that we don't really know how confident Whisenhunt is in Leinart so don't be surprised if Matt gets dumped this year or next.

When Shane & I were in Flagstaff last July, we both were surprised at how good Warner looked in comparison to Leinart, and yet Matt remained the #1 for the next 2 weeks until the Oakland debacle.

I am fully of the opinion that Whisenhunt is shooting straight when he said last year "that he went with the QB who gives the team the best chance to win". If Leinart is ever going to see the field, then he needs to be that QB, and the good news is that he only has one person he needs to convince. IMHO, if Whiz ultimately runs Leinart off, it won't be because we wasn't given a chance and therefore it won't come as a surprise.

The really good news is that this situation is perfect for the continued success of the Cardinals. And while I have personal opinions about who I would like to see leading us to that success, I am more than happy to put that aside when the team is playing up to its potential with someone else.

JTS

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Warner was no less than top 3 in every QB catagory last yr.
Yeah - lotsa $, but if he would have signed elsewhere, there would have been a LOT of crap directed towards the franchise.
How much did the franchise make by making it all the way to the the SB?
Yes - paying a guy for what he's already done in the NFL is risky - but the potential reward is great.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner was no less than top 3 in every QB catagory last yr.
Yeah - lotsa $, but if he would have signed elsewhere, there would have been a LOT of crap directed towards the franchise.
How much did the franchise make by making it all the way to the the SB?
Yes - paying a guy for what he's already done in the NFL is risky - but the potential reward is great.

I agree. I don't care about the amount KW signed for unless the Cards use this as an excuse not to do more in free agency.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree. I don't care about the amount KW signed for unless the Cards use this as an excuse not to do more in free agency.

Mulli....this group of f/a is average or less at best .....don't get your knickers tied in a snit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05