Warner would have gone for 5 Td's

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The counter is that people suggesting Josh should replace Warner because of last night's game might just be chugging the koolaide?

We had people saying Warner wants Josh to fail when we all saw and heard him explaining to Josh what the FS was doing and how to exploit it.

People over react on both sides, and it bothers us depending on what side we're on.

I'm sure everyone is happy we won, but realistically we probably see 2 teams this year comparble to that team, SF the 2nd time, and maybe tennessee.

I agree. But, I thought the team performed better. Which is encouraging from my POV.

That's why I'm not concerned that it was 'just' the 9er's (even though we crushed them) because I'm hoping that we have found our feet and are going to play much better ball.

Additionally, anyone calling for Josh to start is being premature. He needs to be consistant for us to even think about a change.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Redsz said:
There is curiousity and then there is just plain old bitching. Some people are just going out of there way to find fault and complain about something it seems.

No one is suggesting we are going to the Super Bowl after beating the 9er's. But it was a solid performance and win. People jumping up and down and saying 'IT WAS JUST THE NINER'S' are chugging the haterade and can't seem to be happy even after a win.

Exactly. I agree with every last word.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Warner might have thrown for 5 TD's but the team result would have been the same as McCown's.

Josh would of spiked the ball in the Ram game. Warner did not.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Why is it "hating" to think that we could have done better? Can't you be a fan and have it both ways: happy for the win and also curious about "coulda been?"

I think it would have been a different game with Warner in there. I think he would have fumbled just the same as Josh on that first play, so that's not at issue.

I do think that Warner might have had 400+ yards and 3+ TDs, but he wouldn't have been able to make some of the plays that McCown did with his feet--we would have been sacked more, but we also would have finished with more points.

That said, if Josh keeps the offense clicking, there's no reason to mess with it and go back to Warner. It'll be interesting to see if he can against the Panthers. If he can put up 275 and a TD I'll be really happy.

I agree with this as well.

I live by the notion that the truth is somewhere in between.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toro said:
Warner might have thrown for 5 TD's but the team result would have been the same as McCown's.

Josh would of spiked the ball in the Ram game. Warner did not.

True, but Josh would have hit the LT in the head, been called for illegal touch, and we'd still have lost the game when they counted off the 10 seconds. :D

I still can't believe Warner didn't spike that ball and Rowen defended it as being the right decision.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
True, but Josh would have hit the LT in the head, been called for illegal touch, and we'd still have lost the game when they counted off the 10 seconds. :D

:biglaugh:

:thud:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I still can't believe Warner didn't spike that ball and Rowen defended it as being the right decision.

Let it go Russ. That was a McCown mistake in the distant past and he is certainly a better QB now than then. Let's try and focus on the here and now and moving forward. The Josh thing will shake out however it does.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Let it go Russ. That was a McCown mistake in the distant past and he is certainly a better QB now than then. Let's try and focus on the here and now and moving forward. The Josh thing will shake out however it does.

The distant past? McCown hit a lineman with the ball, causing an illegal touching penalty (might have also been for illegal man downfield because he hestiated so long to throw the pass) in the Seahawks game a week and a half ago.

Having said that, the Josh McCown that appeared in the 2nd & 3rd quarters of the San Fran game is the QB I want to lead this team for the rest of the season. The Josh McCown that played in the seattle game and the 1st quarter of the SF game can sit the bench.

So the question really is... which McCown plays this Sunday?

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
This is why I am not going to jump to any conclusions until after McCown plays against Carolina.

That is exactly right. If McCown displays similar numbers, with a victory, against Carolina then I might start thinking about giving him a look at keeping the job. Until then, the job is Warners.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned last week, but it got lost in all the bitching, that a lot of the oline false starts, IMO, were because Kurt Warner kept the line set too long. We'll get another reality check on that this week again.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I mentioned last week, but it got lost in all the bitching, that a lot of the oline false starts, IMO, were because Kurt Warner kept the line set too long. We'll get another reality check on that this week again.

You're probably right. That's a great point, Jim.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Some of that is probably true but it seems to work ok with the Colts and nobody keeps the line set longer than Peyton Manning because he likes to audible or fake audible.

I also think because of the size of the corowd, and the noise, they reduced all the presnap movement because they knew it was going to be hard to hear the snap counts.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grand Canon said:
Warner would have gone for 5 Td's

For an aging QB who has only thrown 11 TD's since 2001, that would have been something to see.

He has done it (5 TD's in one game) once before though, ironically against San Fran, in week 5...of 1999.

(Note to self: Do not call Warner old...he's 18 days younger than I am... :D )

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
Pariah:

Absolutely right. I've never been a fan of the old "not lose your job through injury" thing. If a starter gets hurt, and the backup plays better in his absence, guess what? You've got a new starter. Ask Bill Belichick how sorry he is that he stuck with Tom Brady after Drew Bledsoe was once again healthy enough to play.

But one win against the worst defense in the league does not a starter make. Or shouldn't. So let's be happy about the Cardinals getting their first win of the season, and save anointing Josh McCown as this franchise's savior for another day. :thumbup:

WC

:thumbup:

coyotesareback

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Read this a few days ago... my take is simply warner had 1 td in 3 games getting knocked around. No way does he throw for 5 td's he probally would of been out after the first play of the game with the hit McCown took. I think if Warner would have played he would have been sacked about 8 or 9 times maybe more and who knows if he could hold onto the ball. Another thing maybe its just me but when McCown was hooking up with the receivers the ball he threw looked awesome had zip and got their quick, warners all year don't seem to have that much on them and alot of them don't even seem to have a tight spiral. Still suspicious about the whole hand injury he definately does not look like the warner of st louis days. I am not saying we still dont win the niner game just with our oline mccown seems like the logical fit AS LONG AS HE PLAYS WELL if not sit his ass and Warner is back.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05