OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
The blue Weezer album ranks up there for me with the Violent Femmes self titled debut, and Pavment's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain as one of those rare albums that in its entirety is better than the songs on their own. I mean, if I start listening to one song, I want to hear the entire thing in order.

I know I sound like a broken record about the following, but it just seems that in spite that Weezer have managed to survive with such sustained success..that they would have achieved even more greatness if Matt Sharp never left the band after "Pinkerton".... He pretty much really molded their sound together with his unique blend which really did inspire several other bands to follow their lead, however, it seems that their last 3 releases lack that artistic edge to it....

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weezer's "Pink Triangle" Song

I can't keep this freaking song outta my head. It's been two days now. WTF?

Gizmo Williams

Registered
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
I can't keep this freaking song outta my head. It's been two days now. WTF?

Try listening to El Scorcho...then you will have "******* you half-Japanese girls" stuck in your head.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gizmo Williams said:
Try listening to El Scorcho...then you will have "******* you half-Japanese girls" stuck in your head.

Will do ... not. :p

I just think it's very weird to go around work singing "I'm dumb she's a lesbian ..." all day for TWO DAYS STRAIGHT! AHHHH!!!

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Gizmo Williams said:

Thats a great song btw.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pinkerton is without question one of the most singable albums in the history of music. Every song is a karoake/shower song waiting to happen!:notworthy :cool:

Gizmo Williams

Registered
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Make Believe? My wife bought it and I listened to it twice...but I wasn't blown away. The singles seem to be the highlights but they don't measure up to past Weezer highlights.

I consider myself a fan and I pretty much enjoy every Weezer album.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I never can go longer than 12 hours without singing the Sweater Song.......seriously.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gizmo Williams said:
Any thoughts on Make Believe? My wife bought it and I listened to it twice...but I wasn't blown away. The singles seem to be the highlights but they don't measure up to past Weezer highlights.

I consider myself a fan and I pretty much enjoy every Weezer album.

Gizmo, I like Make Believe...a lot! Beverly Hills has grown on me tremendously, and Damage In Your Heart may be one of my top ten W songs of all time. Solid album. :thumbup:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
I'd say the Weezer Blue Album is still one of my favorites of all time.

I don't think that they ever put out a "bad" album. Green had it's moments (O' Girlfriend,Hash Pipe) and Maladroit was cool too.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I never can go longer than 12 hours without singing the Sweater Song.......seriously.

If you want to destroy my sweater .........

Weezer rocks!!!

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just listened to Weezer for the first time in awhile, so I had to bump this thread up.... I happened to merge three older threads together that were all dedicated to the band....

I still contend that the band hasnt been the same since Matt Sharp left during their '97-'00 hiatus..... He still to me was the genius behind the "Blue Album" and "Pinkerton"......It seemed he structure most of the songs and his vocals were quite impressive..... He continued exhibiting those talents while with the Rentals....

There have been rumors circulating that Sharp might rejoin Weezer, but that's been reported for over the past 5-years.... He did co-write several new songs w/Cuomo, but none have been recorded/released.... I think if that did some to fruition, that might be some of the best music released in years.....

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Yeah, I love Weezer, but they aren't the best thing to happen in ten years.

I hate FEminem, but he's been a big influence in music over the last ten years.

Or waht about Green Day? I don't like them, but they kinda revived the "punk" scene which is so annoying right now. I saw Ashley Simpson wearing a shirt that said "Punk" on it. I wish Wendy O Williams was still alive to beat the hell out of these trendy children!

:thumbup:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have seen them in concert 5 times (all before 2001) and have a personalized autographed black and white 8x10 signed by the original band members.

now that their mainstream I can't really enjoy them anymore.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have seen them in concert 5 times (all before 2001) and have a personalized autographed black and white 8x10 signed by the original band members.

I never understood people who don't like a band when they become more popular. If the music is good, it's good. The fact that Pinkerton is all of a sudden some symbol of teen angst, doesn't diminsh the fact that it's an amazing album. I liked it the first day it came out, before everyone hopped on the bandwagon. I'd rather someone just say that they've gone down in quality.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

interesting - i used to like ryan until he went over 25,000 posts - now that he is mainstream i am going to quit reading him...

j/k man - but that is a pretty silly argument. does that mean you will watch a particular tv show as long as it stays under a certain number of viewers? or that you will like a movie until it grosses so much money?

shawn

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The band began selling out/compromising their sound once Matt Sharp departed. Matt along w/Rivers crafted some of their better songs off of both the "Blue Album" and "Pinkerton".

One question will always remain. What if "Songs from the Black Hole' materialized in full form? I believe that project could have catapulted Weezer up to the level that the Beatles achieved w/"Pepper" or the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds". Here's a link that explains "SFTBH" for those who have never heard of the recording sessions before:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_from_the_Black_Hole

Matt Sharp was primarily responsible for them to maintain that Indi sound that they championed on the initial two releases, whereas since most of their songs have been too commercialized. Sharp was responsible for how the songs were structured for the most part (as evident from his other band the Rentals and his solo output) with his innovative bass playing and perfect vocal harmonies. Sharp and Cuomo have come close to recording again, but the highly competitive/creative differences still impact them to this day. I hope they can reconcile everything before it's too late.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

What are you? 16? Besides, their Debut sold 3 freaking million copies, dude. Id say thats pretty mainstream, right outta the gate.