PG-Steve Nash
SG-Joe Johnson
SF-Quentin Richardson
PF-Shawn Marion
C-Amare Stoudemire

Game 2 prediction match-ups

Point guards
Jason Terry Vs Steve Nash

The Mavericks didn't get enough out of Jason Terry in game 1. Scoring just 13 points and had only 3 assists. He didn't really attack the Suns defense as well as I thought he would. Granted he shot the ball well but he didn't do what a point guard should be doing. Steve Nash on the otherhand did exactly what a point guard should do, he led the offense well and got 13 assists in what was a big night for him. Getting the MVP trophy from David Stern before the game in front of all his family and friends. Was a great night for him. He will again look to get everyone involved in game 2, push the tempo and get off to another strong start.

Shooting guards
Michael Finley/Joe Johnson

In my game 1 preview I said Michael Finley would be a dangerous guy to face. He always has shot well in Phoenix, mainly from three. In game 1 though he shot just 1-5 from deep and 5-13 overall for 15 points. When he scores 20 or more the Mavericks win most times out of 10. They will need more production out of him. More so with the way Joe Johnson has played. Joe Johnson had yet another fine game in game 1, pouring in 25 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists on 9/17 shooting which included 3/4 from three-point land. He did his job and attacked the Mavs early with a few fastbreak lay-ups. He will be depended on doing the same in game 2, he is stronger, bigger and quicker than Finley. He should take advantage of his match-up

Small Forwards
Josh Howard Vs Quentin Richardson

Josh Howard had a soild night offensively with 12 points on 6-13 shooting while also pulling down 8 rebounds. However he also had 5 fouls which included a few offensive fouls and he had 5 turnovers. He certainly wasn't really under control. He will need to take care of the ball and stay out of foul trouble in game 2. He is the Mavs best defender and they will need him to stay in the game. Quentin Richardson had a soild game in game 1, tallying 12 points while shooting 50% from three and did a good job on defense. Q will look to get some shots up in game 2 but I can't stress this enough, he needs to get in the post more. Thats one of the parts of his game that is underrated.

Power Forward
Dirk Nowitzki Vs Shawn Marion

Dirk Nowitzki finally found his shot back in game 1, shooting 13/24 from the field and finished with 28 points and 13 rebounds. He must continue to shoot the ball well from the field in game 2. He shot well and his team still got blownout by 25. That is the main worry for Dallas. Shawn Marion as he has been all post season was Mr consistant in game 1.Pouring in 23 points and 11 rebounds. While shooting 9-16 from the field. As always he brought alot of good energy to the game and helped get the crowd into the game even more. He should again look to take advantage of his quickness at this position and get off to another good start

centers
Erick Dampier Vs Amare Stoudemire

Erick Dampier had truely a terrible performance in game 1 and I don't see it being much better. He started the game off poorly by fumbling two easy passes while also getting into early foul trouble. He failed to score and had only 5 rebounds. It was a game to forget for Dampier. To make matters worse his own team-mate Dirk Nowitzki called him out after the game for his poor game. Amare Stoudemire simply dominated the match-up. All in all Amare outscored Dampier 40-0 in total. Amare finished with 40 points and 16 rebounds on 13-21 shooting which included 14-17 free-throws. The Mavs can't guard him, he must keep demanding the ball and dominating.Amare will get all the looks he wants in this series.

Benches

Dallas as expected took advantage of their more talented bench in game 1. Outscoring the Suns 36-17.Jerry Stackhouse leading the attack with 14 points with Marquis Daniels adding 13 points. Suns were lead by Barbosa with 7 points and Steven Hunter with 6. Jim Jackson failed to score in game 1. Something that will need to change in game 2.

Key's to the game

Mavericks
  • Get Dirk going early, he looked back in form in game 1 getting 28 points but he started off poorly. That will need to change in game 2.
  • Jason Terry will need to give the Mavs more from the point guard spot than he did in game 1. He must attack the basket and get others involved.
  • Erick Dampier must give the Mavs something in game 2. He got abused in game 1 Vs Amare Stoudemire. Getting outscored 40-0. If that happens again then the Suns are going to Dallas up 2-0
  • Don't let the Suns get easy looks from deep. The Suns shot 12-22 in game 1 from behind the arc. When you allow a team that good full of shooters it makes It impossible to clog the middle.
Suns
  • Get Amare the ball and let him go to work inside by attacking Erick Dampier. Amare exploded for 40 points and 16 rebounds in game 1 against Erick Dampier. Amare can do whatever he wants downlow against Dampier. He just sin't quick enough to guard him.
  • Get the break going, push the tempo and get easy looks. Which the Suns had no problem doing in game 1. Scoring 127 points in all and shoot over 50% inside and outside.
  • Must guard Dirk tough and not let him have any easy looks, Dirk finally came out of his slump with 28 points on 13-24 shooting in game 1 but had a slow start. So his scoring didn't have a great effect on the game. He must be contended early again.
  • Get some bench production. The Suns got outscored 36-17 in game 1 and guys like Jim Jackson didn't put up the numbers that was needed but again If the Suns have a big lead through the game, bench play won't matter.
Final thoughts and predictions

The Suns started the 2nd round of the playoffs in the best possible way by destroying the Dallas Mavericks in game 1 127-102. The Suns got off to a fast start early and continued It on through the rest of the game and had 99 points after 3 quarters. Amare Stoudemire was simply unstoppabe pouring in 40 points and 16 rebounds on 13-21 shooting. Shawn Marion also had a strong game as he has had through the playoffs with yet another double double. 23 points and 11 rebounds on 9-16 shooting. The Suns frontcourt dominated while the Mavs got enough from their center position.

Game 2 will be a big game for Dallas, they know they can't lose but to make It worse another blowout loss will give them basically no confidence they can come back agaist this team. One blowout is one thing but two going back home can kill your team moral. The Mavs don't want to be in the same situation that the Sonics are in heading back home in their series with the Spurs. Dallas know this is a must win game and although every game is in the playoffs. Phoenix knows even if a loss tonight they can bounce back and win on the road as they have done all year.

Call me baised but I see us holding homecourt and sending this thing back to Dallas with a 2-0 advantage. The Suns have looked great so far and I can't see them losing that hunger and motivation. They still think they have plenty to prove to the rest of the league and beating down Dallas again will get people's attention.

Last edited:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Nice job man.

So many people saying the Mavs will win game 1. Afterwards the excuse was the fatigue of the previous series. But they will be better in game 2!

I wonder what the excuse will be when the Suns win this one too?

I think the Mavs will in the game the entire time but the Suns win by 5-10 points.

I'll say
Suns 112
Mavs 106

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare32 said:
Well spotted

Just testing you, glad you passed my test:D

I was going to mention that, but maybe thought it was some superstitous pre-game ritual........

Great work though!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great pre-game post. It's no surprise that the Suns aren't getting bench scoring when they're barely going 8 deep during the games. Even so, Jim Jackson needs to get involved or else Barbosa should be getting some playing as well to see which guy is hot. Leandro looked great in the 5 minutes he got in game 1 and scored a quick 7 pts.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the measure of a bench is points per game.

I would be interested to see number on points per minute played. If that is even a real stat I am not sure.

Game 1 for Example (probably a bad one).

Bench points:
Suns 16
Mavs 36

Bench Minutes:
Suns 49
Mavs 89

Bench points per minute played.
16/49=.327
36/89=.404

Starters ppm
Suns .581
Mavs .437

I am not even sure this is a good stat but the point is if the starters outscore the Mavs starters so badly the bench advantage is not enough. That and the Suns bench is not that bad considering how much time they don't get.

Of course the game 1 numbers are skewed by Dampier that only played 15 min and scored 0 points while Stackhouse scored 14 points in 32 minutes off the bench.

The Suns could follow tradition and start Hunter while Q provides scoring off the bench, but why? You would only be sacrificing the production of the starting group to inflate the bench numbers.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Excellent job Amare 32!
-------------------------------------------
SirChaz said:
I find it interesting that the measure of a bench is points per game.QUOTE]

I agree!

The Boston Celtics in the Bird era were notorious for playing their starters big minutes during the year and in the playoffs.

They were quite successful and the suns will be too.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your numbers, SirChaz. I was wondering about the points per minute thing.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Tonight the Mavs will be guarding Amare with many players. Dampier is a very good center but it is obvious that he is not healthy yet. He looks like he can hardly move around under the basket. He is reaching a lot and he will get in foul trouble again tonight. The Mavs do not have anybody to guard Amare, expect him to get to the free throw line more tonight than the last game, but probably he will not score as many points. The 3 point shooters, Marion,& JJ will have to step up tonight. Also I expect JJax to score 10+ points tonight.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dampier isn't healthy? I hadn't heard that. Dirk must not have factored that in when he was screaming at Damp the whole game. :)

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Dampier is just not a very good defender except to body up against people.

I wonder how long it will take before they just go to Nowitzki at the 5. If he is so upset about Dampier maybe he should do it.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Dampier isn't healthy? I hadn't heard that. Dirk must not have factored that in when he was screaming at Damp the whole game. :)

He missed something like 38 games this year with injuries.

If he is healthy he is just a shell of what he used to be able to accomplish. He was an excellent rebounder and always scored some points.

Of course, Amare will do that to centers, and last year when Dampier played great it was a contract year! :)

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
The Suns are favored by 7 tonight.

I think this game should be very competitive. The Mavericks should have a better feel for the Suns' pace now, they know what the Suns will do on defense (protect Nash and make Dirk beat them--not only were they giving Dirk single coverage, they were switching screen-and-rolls and letting him isolate Joe J and Q). They know that what they were trying to do on defense(shadow Nash up the court, give minimal help defense) isn't going to work--the Suns were actually setting picks in the back-court last night, btw, for the first time all year. The Mavericks should come out with a real sense of urgency, too.

On the other hand, Avery Johnson didn't make any adjustments after game 1 in the last series. Plus, the Suns looked fantastic on Monday...so there's that. :p

There's a rumor that AJ might be planning to run right back at the Suns. I imagine they'll bring out the small ball eventually. And the Mavericks have to do something different with Amare tonight...right? I mean, they can't have him setting his high scoring mark for the playoffs every game...so they'll probably trap the P&R and double-team with some real energy.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game. This is a big game for the Suns--if they win, they've got a good shot at finishing the series in four or five games so that the Spurs won't get too much rest, but if the Suns lose, they've lost home-court advantage, and they're looking at a long slog through Maverick country even if they don't wind up losing the series.

Should be a good one! :thumbup:

jibikao

Reaction score
Mmmm, down by 12 after 1st quarter.

Dampier already had 10pt. lol

Mavs sure is trying to save their face in Game 2.

I don't think Dampier can keep this effective though... Amare needs to cool down a little bit. Mavs was trying to shut him down. He needs to make a quick decision either to pass out the double team or go inside before the double team comes. There's too much hesitation right now.

Q seems to struggle a bit...

And I don't see any life in JJ's shot now. He had quite a few easy floater but his shots were so flat.

2nd quarter, let's go Suns!

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mavs are out firing, but they are back to 50% field goal, suns are still below 40%.

As expected, Mavs will come out guns blazing, and the unlikely hero so far is Dampier.. with 12 and 6 rebounds, 5 which came from offensive.

The suns need to wither the storm right now, Mavs came out on fire, and thats the right strategy against the suns. Hopefully suns make a better run in the next 2 and half quarters.

jibikao

Reaction score
Half time, JJ injured... darn it.

So far, I think Amare needs to calm down a bit. Dirk gets a lot of calls down there even if you dont' do anything. Amare just needs to learn how to play with foul trouble. He can let Dirk score but not when we are down by 10pt.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Half time, JJ injured... darn it.

So far, I think Amare needs to calm down a bit. Dirk gets a lot of calls down there even if you dont' do anything. Amare just needs to learn how to play with foul trouble. He can let Dirk score but not when we are down by 10pt.

Amare doesn't need to calm down, he needs to show up. The first half tonight he has been pretty much useless.

We've played like absolute crap but yet somehow we're still in the game. Can the real Suns team please show up?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
The coach of the year needs to step up here. The Suns have missed like 10 easy shots and have let the refs get in their heads. The Mavs have been playing exactly how the media said they should tough D, good transistion back on D (Not too hard when you're shooting +50%). Our response has been Nash missing easy jumpers and posting up Q.

Defensively, they were terrible over playing the lanes, letting every Dallas player go strong side to the hoop, 3 guys running at the shooter ( I don't get this).

D'Antoni has 2 big roles get these guys refocused on thier game offensively and defensively. And to start working the refs for the next game. Johnson was geneous in calling them out post game and they are responding as usual.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Amare doesn't need to calm down, he needs to show up. The first half tonight he has been pretty much useless.

We've played like absolute crap but yet somehow we're still in the game. Can the real Suns team please show up?

What the heck is your sig??? I'm not ito much animation (other than sunday nights now....God I love Family Guy) but that looks pretty intense!

As for the Suns what pissed me off is the announcers (Magic especially) saying that Jamison blocked the shot on JJ. Yeah, he did get the ball and also completely ran through JJ to get to it. It was a hard foul and when someone is that high and get slammed he's going to try and hold onto the rim for dear life. If JJ didn't grab the rim he'd have probably broken his neck in the stands.

Great, just heard JJ is out for the rest of the game! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
What is the diagnosis on JJ? just a concusion or is the eye just super swollen?

I don't even watch those TNT guys anymore they really don't offer very much value to the game IMO.

RichDawg

Reaction score
hi guys....hope you don't mind me crashing this thread.

anyone notice the suns seem stagnant when running the halfcourt offense? i notice this particularly with marion, who's standing around the perimeter watching nash.

their d has picked up this quarter (3rd), though, and barbosa hasn't been a liability in jj's absence.

looks very similiar to game 2 of the memphis series, may come down to the wire. let's go, suns!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05