PG-Jason Terry
SG-Michael Finley
SF-Josh Howard
PF-Dirk Nowitzki
C-Erick Dampier

Game 3 prediction match-ups

Point guards
Steve Nash Vs Jason Terry

Steve Nash had a tough time shooting the ball in game 3 but came up with some big baskets late in the games, one which tied the game with 20 seconds to go. He had 23 points in total along with 13 assists. He got the Suns going in the 2nd half after a very slow start by the Suns in the first. He found Shawn Marion with a behind the back pass with set up a huge dunk. With Joe Johnson out for a min 3 games, Nash will likely play even more minutes and will need to take on more of a scoring role than he normally would. When a guy goes out someone else has to step up offensive and I believe Steve will do that.

Shooting guards
Jim Jackson Vs Michael Finley

Jim Jackson has now been moved into the starting line-up after Joe Johnson went down with the injury. Which as many saw was due to a hard play by Jerry Stackhouse and Joe came down and his head smashed into the ground. JJ had surgery yesterday and will be out for at least game 3, 4 and may also miss game 5. Jim Jackson came in to replace Johnson in the 2nd half and he had a very good game with 9 points on 3/7 shooting but the key part is he got 5 assists and 5 steals, most of them led to easy fast break lay-ups. Jimmy will really need to step up his game and replace of at least half of what Joe gave the team. It will be tough but Jimmy is a very experienced vet who has had success over the years as a starter. He was a full time starter with the Rockets during last season and through their playoff run. He is a very good player to have on your team so Jimmy will need to play tough defense, shoot the ball well when open and try and get in the passing lanes which he did well in game 2. Michael Finley had likely his best game of the playoffs pouring in 31 points on 12/18 shooting with included 5/6 threes along with 6 rebounds and 5 assists. Every time the Suns made a run or take the lead, Finley was there to counter. He had maybe the best game he could of played, truely an amazing shooting night. He has to be consistant though. As even with his great performance the Suns had the chance to win the game on the buzzer even though they played badly.

Small Forwards
Josh Howard Vs Quentin Richardson

Quentin Richardson had the chance to be the hero in game 2 but his last second three-pointer was too long. He had a good enough look for him but couldn't knock It down. Q was soild offensively but struggled with foul trouble, ending up on 5 fouls. He did hit 3/5 from deep but he will be needed to step up his game as well with JJ out. As mentioned when you lose a key guy other players need to step up. Now is Q's time to step up. Josh Howard like Q got into foul trouble but still played a soild offensive game and what was needed of him, shooting 50% for 10 points. His job is mainly defensively and so far has done a very soild job, he will need to attack the rim hard and defend like crazy. He seems to do better at home.

Power Forward
Shawn Marion Vs Dirk Nowitzki

Shawn Marion was the only Sun to shoot over 50% in game 2, he also remains the only guy to have a double double in every playoff game so far. Shawn had 23 points and 15 rebounds on 9/18 shooting which also included 6 blocks. A great all-round effort by Marion who gave the Suns a good chance to win. He will be depended to do a little bit more with Joe out of the line-up. I fully expect Marion to play at the same high level and take advantage of his quickness. Dirk Nowitzki hit the game winning basket with 6 seconds left and overall had 23 points and 12 rebounds on 8-18 shooting but had only 6 2nd half points and for some reason passed up plenty of open enough shots, Dirk will need to attack and do a better job defensively. He looked lost on the pick and roll's and If Amare was on his A game would of been exosed even more so.

centers
Erick Dampier Vs Amare Stoudemire

Amare Stoudemire had a slow start to game 2 but by the end of it had 30 points, 16 rebounds on 9-20 shooting and 12-17 from the free-throw line. However he missed two or 3 easy put backs late in the game and missed a fairly simply alley-oop dunk. He got the numbers but certainly didn't play as well in game 1. Alot of that had to do with the Dallas interior defense. Amare will need to start better for game 3 and make an early statement that the Mavericks aren't going to make him miss easy shots again in game 3. Eric Dampier who got called out by team-mate Dirk Nowitzki after game 1 where he failed to score and had just 5 rebounds and 5 fouls, totally turned his game around in game 2. Dampier tallied 15 points, 12 rebounds and had 7 offensive rebounds. Which included a 5/5 start for 10 points in the first quarter. He did what was needed of him but what will he did in game 3? will he go back to the inconsistant Damp or will he keep up his form for game 3? He will need to play as he did in game 2 for the Mavericks to come away with the win.

Benches

The bench weren't a huge factor points wise in game 2, Mavericks outscoring Phoenix's 17 to 10. But bench play will be really important now for the Suns. With Joe Johnson out injured Jim Jackson is no longer a bench player so the question has to be asked where does the bench offense come from? Barbosa, Walta and Steven Hunter will really have to step. With Dallas's bench you know what you are going to get. Stackhouse and Daniels have done a good job all series, I expect it to continue.

Key's to the game

Mavericks
  • Make sure Dirk continues to get touches throughout the game. He had a great first half but didn't get enough shots in the 2nd half. He passed up certain shots he shouldn't of. He must attack the Suns defense
  • Jason Terry had a quiet game in game 2 and seemed to disappear for a while but he did hit some key shots late in the game which helped the Mavs come back and keep the lead. He must continue to use the pick and rolls which have proved to be successful
  • Erick Dampier must give the Mavs the kind of production he gave them in game 2. Dampier had 15 points and 12 rebounds and was a real force inside. He must be consistant otherwise the Mavs chance won't be as high. He really is the key to their team.
  • Don't turn the ball over and let the Suns get out and run.Thats one of the reasons why the Suns came back into the game during game 2 after the Mavs had a double fiqure lead. They must control the game from start to finish.
Suns
  • Amare must start the game off strong, he started off badly in game 2 which hurt the Suns early as they went down by double fiqures. Amare had 30 and 16 even though he didn't play very well. Bad sign for Dallas.
  • Get the break going, even with JJ out the Suns have plenty of great finishers and the Suns must push the tempo. The game was at a much slower pace in the first half of game 2.
  • Must contend Michael Finley. Fin went off in game 2 for 31 points on 12-18 shooting which included 5-6 threes. When Finley shoots the ball like that the Mavs are very tough to guard.
  • Bench play is going to be even more important for game 3. With Jim Jackson inserted into the starting 5 due to Joe Johnson's injury. Everyone who comes in needs to replace what Jim Jackson would of added off the bench. Barbosa, Walta and Hunter have to give not only a spark but production.
Final thoughts and predictions

The Phoenix Suns lost game 2 of the best of 7 series with the Dallas Mavericks 108-106 on wednesday night. Which means this series is tied at 1-1 heading into Dallas. Dirk Nowitzki hit the game winner. Quentin Richardson had the chance to win the game but his three on the buzzer hit the back of the rim. Steve Nash had 23 points and 13 assists, Amare Stoudemire 30 points and 16 rebounds, Shawn Marion 23 points and 15 rebounds. Erick Dampier was a big boost for Dallas after a poor game 1 with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Dirk Nowitzki added 23 points and 12 rebounds.

The worse part about game 2 was Suns shooting guard Joe Johnson went down with an injury which meant he left the game with 19 secs left in the half and didn't return. He had surgery and will be out for at least a week which means he will miss the two games in Dallas for game's 3 and 4, he may also miss game 5. Him missing will be a big blow but Jim Jackson will get the start. Jimmy Jackson is a very experienced vet who is a great guy to have as a starter. I'm confident the Suns will be ok. This team has battled through everything this year, I don't see why It won't continue to happen.

Game 3 will show how much heart this team really has. To go into Dallas and steal back homecourt without the starting shooting guard will show alot of people what this team really is about. Jim Jackson has to step up his game and knocking down the open shots and play tough defense. Everything Joe Johnson would bring. I expect us to come out strong and motivated for Joe and come away with the win and steal back homecourt

KEEP THE FAITH

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
not that long til tip off and judging from the pacers/pistons game there will be no OT

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
The Suns are only 2-point underdogs for this game. :eek:

I actually think that game 4 might be the easier game to win, because the Suns' coaches will have two more days to get the team prepared for the Mavericks' adjustments, and for life without Joe J. Still, for both games, I think it will come down to perimeter shooting--3-pointers for both sides, plus Amare's 18-foot jumper. Whichever team hits their shots will come out with the win.

Nash's minutes are going to be the big issue tonight. I doubt he'll be hitting too many contested jumpers at the end of the game, so it will be important to find somewhere else for the ball to go down the stretch. Joe J is usually the second option, so if we're lucky we might find out who the third option is tonight. :p

Here's to a good game, and no more injuries, please. :mad:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These two teams sure are fun to watch against each other.

Very 1980's.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Man, those threes by Shawn and Jimmy with 4 minutes to go were HUGE!

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
JIMMY!!!!!

boy has he come to play tonigith

as i said, when guys go down others step up

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
27 points, 17 assists. If you don't call that MVP stats.....

Great, great game by Steve and a first half dominating Amare. Great shooting by Q, Shawn and Jimmy.

Mavs are something like 1-15 from arc city.

WE ARE BACK!!! (were we ever out anyway?) ;)

Finally a game I could follow live (it's 2pm over here in Sydney) and what a good one! Looks like the orange jersey curse vanished as well!

Jumping in excitement and wishing everyone a good day,
Michael

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand...orange jerseys? They looked purple to me. I remember the orange home depot jerseys they wore not too long ago...those were fugly.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes! We all knew they would win by 17 tonight. :)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Great win. JJax stepped in and did well for JJ ... hopefully the rest of the bench joins him next game. Amare was back to his dominating self and Nash showed why he was the MVP.

Now its time to be GREEDY and take game 4

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Great win!!!

Suns played pretty good defense down the stretch in the third and fourth quarter. The Mavs could just not hit a shot and Nash was breaking down Dallas every trip with all the attention paid to Stoudemire.

WTG SUNS!!!

Lets get game 4 now and bring them back to Phoenix.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
incredible. one of the gutsiest games i've ever seen by the suns.

you all know that cheese and i are not ones to badmouth the reffing, but man, we had to play against them as well tonight. and we played undeterred. amazing, truly inspiring.

can't wait for sunday.

DB . . . pure and simple . . . D-friggin'-B.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS TEAM never cease to amaze me - SICK - SICK - JUST SICK

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
Other than the beginning of the fourth quarter where Dallas went on a little run, I think Barbosa played pretty decent today

ALL in ALL a good win today !! Nash showed everyone in the nation why he was the MVP this year

the coolest play of the game was when Nash made the sky hook over Dirk, that was way too cool :thumbup:

mribnik

Reaction score
JJAX was amazing for us. Not only did he hit timely shots, but he had some great strips and tip-ins as well. Huge game from him!

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
I didn't think this was possible without JJ. That was one of the most dominating 4th quarters I've ever seen by any team. I am speechless. Absolutely amazing. I will no longer be a doubter after this game. And whoever these experts are that keeps saying that Dallas is more of a defensive team and the Suns don't play defense needs to stick a sock in it. I'm tired of hearing it, especially after this game.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
you all know that cheese and i are not ones to badmouth the reffing, but man, we had to play against them as well tonight. and we played undeterred. amazing, truly inspiring.
It seemed like there was a stretch in the 2nd where a foul was called 5 or 6 straight DAL possessions. They then loosened up in the 4th.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05