What are the 3 most important things needed to be done this offseason?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Drew Bledsoe, who will likely be available. He was written off for dead this year, and with an abysmal O-line and a good RB, he turned it around. We should have a much better RB situation next year, and our O-line should AT LEAST be as good as Buffalo's this year. And Bledsoe would fit Green's system quite well.

Nice try but you cant go on what ifs? He isnt a FA and thats the bottomline.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
The Cardinals ranked 31st in average yards gained per rushing attempt at 3.5

They ranked dead last in average rush surrendered at 4.8 yards an attempt

This disparity is really glaring because they were "in" at least 13 of the 15 games they played through the middle of the third quarter, and in late 11 of the fifteen. This cant be explained through the old "fell behind early, had to abandon the running game" phenomenon of years past.

The offseason needs to be spent fixing those two stats.

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
en fuego said:

This disparity is really glaring because they were "in" at least 13 of the 15 games they played through the middle of the third quarter, and in late 11 of the fifteen. This cant be explained through the old "fell behind early, had to abandon the running game" phenomenon of years past.

Where does the passing game rank?

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
1. Replace Alex Wood - His playing calling was more predictable that Mark Tresman's was. He did not put plays in the game that put receivers in positions for YAC nor highlighting the playmakers (Boldin/Fitz) that we have on offense.

2. RB - Without a good running back, you are looking at what you saw in the 2004 Cards offense.

2. Guards - The OL guard play was terrible all year.

3. CB - Draft a high quaility CB (Rolle would be my dream pick)

4. DT - Can't we find a big, fat DT who wants to come enjoy all the great restaurants we have in the Valley?

5. TE - Sign a good TE that is a good blocker). sorry Freddie, you can't do the job.

6. Let McCown play. If Josh had the defense and running game that the Steelers have had in 2004, we would be NFC West Champs. Guaranteed. Winning is not just as easy as having a great QB, he needs help around him. Let the guy develop for one more year. If we are sitting in the same position in Dec 2005, then go get a new QB.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
en fuego said:

This is the best post of the year.

It all starts with line play.

I don't care if our RB was Earl Campbell in his prime, we still wouldn't have cracked 4 yds per carry with the way the line played.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last year, if we had drafted a QBOF instead of Fitzgerald, I wouldn't have gagged on my Cream of Wheat.

Roethlisberger, Manning and Rivers all represented big time quarterbacks you can build a franchise around.

I don't think the same can be said this year about Leinart, Rogers or anyone else. If it isn't felt, McCown is ready, we'll need to look to a trade or free agency for a veteran QB who can get the job done.

As for RB - I think our most important need is for the ones we've got to get healthy. While it might be tempting to "go for the glitter" by signing Alexander to a humongous contract or drafting Benson or Williams - a tandem of Shipp, Hambrick and (why not?) Emmitt is good enough for us to win with.

With that in mind, our three most important roster needs are:

1. Big physical, dominating CB.

2. Huge, strong, effective run-stuffing NT (or maybe 2).

3. Two offensive linemen who can run block with explosion (& not just push at guys)

And - over all - a strong off-season program with everyone participating - one that builds up the bodies of guys who need it (can you hear me Calvin?) and make our guys football-smarter.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

With that in mind, our three most important roster needs are:

1. Big physical, dominating CB.
Is there anybody who fits that description that we might draft?
Antrell Rolle

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big physical, dominating CB...Is there anybody who fits that description that we might draft?
The War Room listed a bunch of CB prospects. My (very early) take on the top 5 includes:

1 Antrel Rolle Miami 6-0 205 4.5
2 Marlin Jackson Michigan 6-0¼ 200 4.5
3 Antonio Perkins Oklahoma 5-10 180 4.45
4 Corey Webster LSU 6-0 202 4.59
5 Antwaun Rogers Purdue 6-0½ 168 4.53:

Rolle is the hot CB prospect right now and 6-0 205 isn't bad.The only smallish guy in this group is Perkins.

Other prospects to keep an eye out for include:

Ronald Bartell Jr. Howard 6-1½ 198 4.4
Vincent Fuller Va Tech 6-1 185 4.43
Alphonso Hodge Mi-OH 5-11 203 4.44
Karl Paymah Wazzoo 5-11½ 204 4.6
Carlos Rogers Auburn 6-0 195 4.42

The two 5-11 guys may be a tad short, but they've got good heft.

Word of caution - Dennis Green doesn't draft for need - he drafts the highest rated player (regardless of position) on his Board. If he feels the burning need for a big corner, in fact, does exist, he may try to fill it in free agency before the draft or - if he can't land one and doesn't draft one - in free agency after the draft.

Last edited:

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Evil Ash said:
Who? I'm kinda curious, who is available when we pick in the draft or FA that will equal the heights of what people want around here. People around here want a perfect QB that can lead us without a running game (or even a threat of one), a TE and a RB that have no idea how to pick up a blitz, and an OLine that didn't learn how to pass block until 6 weeks ago. Who is that guy? I want specifics not the "anyone is better than Josh" crap spewed by some on here.
Dan Marino? :shrug:

I got nuttin....

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Why would we spend a Top Ten pick on a CB, even one as dominant in the college game as Antrel Rolle? Did anyone watch the NFL this year? Rule changes made even once spectacular physical CBs like Champ Bailey and Chris McAlister look pedestrian. I'd rather draft a playmaking safety who knows how to tackle to go with Wilson. If we are dead set on drafting a CB, I'd wait for the second/third round and draft a speed CB like Perkins who could also fill in on special teams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

As for RB - I think our most important need is for the ones we've got to get healthy. While it might be tempting to "go for the glitter" by signing Alexander to a humongous contract or drafting Benson or Williams - a tandem of Shipp, Hambrick and (why not?) Emmitt is good enough for us to win with.

I believe you are DEAD wrong here. Look at 6 of the eight divison winners and what will you find - the BEST running backs in football(Shaun Alexander, Corey Dillon, Ahman Green, Edge, LaDanian Tomlinson, Jerome Bettis) The other two divison winners have McNabb and Vick - also running QBs. A tandem of slow, slower and slowest will NOT get anything done next year but mediocrity. This team is closer to being good than settling for mediocrity. We have the WRs, we have an okay O-line and a big question at QB, but there will NEVER be an offseason where the options at RB will be as plentiful as there are this year. Take care of that spot and all we have to worry about on O is QB.

I think we would have to be INSANE to go into next season with an average at best NFL RB in Marcel Shipp coming off a season ending injury, a below average RB in Hambrick and a WAYYYY past his prime Emmitt Smith. Emmitt's been a warrior for us this year, but think about how slow as sin he is this year and then fast forward 9 months - that ain't pretty.

Take care of the runninbg back situation and even I believe that somehow, even with Josh at QB playing as he did this season, we could sneak into the playoffs somehow.

As far as Rolle is concerned - the whole urle changes on DBs makes me very dubsious of picking a CB that high where the bust quotient is just as high there as anywhere else. Although he is a Miami guy and I love Miami players making the leap from college to the pros.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Nice try but you cant go on what ifs? He isnt a FA and thats the bottomline.

that's silly Shane, none of the stuff being discussed is going to happen tomorow, so why not discuss players that MIGHT be FA's? Buffalo has been rumored for months to be souring on Bledsoe, if Losman hadn't broken his leg he may have already been the QB. personally I think they're nuts, losman is a LOT like Josh and not ready to start, but it's entirely possible he will.

It's not like stout said get peyton Manning.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Last year, if we had drafted a QBOF instead of Fitzgerald, I wouldn't have gagged on my Cream of Wheat.

Roethlisberger, Manning and Rivers all represented big time quarterbacks you can build a franchise around.

I don't think the same can be said this year about Leinart, Rogers or anyone else. If it isn't felt, McCown is ready, we'll need to look to a trade or free agency for a veteran QB who can get the job done.

Leinart and Rodgers are both higher rated than Rivers was at this point last year.

Blesto had both guys rated ahead of him (they give a # figure last year they had Ben rated #1).

No idea if either is coming out, Rodgers should stay with tedford re-upping but you never know.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Big physical, dominating CB...Is there anybody who fits that description that we might draft?
The War Room listed a bunch of CB prospects. My (very early) take on the top 5 includes:

1 Antrel Rolle Miami 6-0 205 4.5
2 Marlin Jackson Michigan 6-0¼ 200 4.5
3 Antonio Perkins Oklahoma 5-10 180 4.45
4 Corey Webster LSU 6-0 202 4.59
5 Antwaun Rogers Purdue 6-0½ 168 4.53:

Rolle is the hot CB prospect right now and 6-0 205 isn't bad.The only smallish guy in this group is Perkins.

The 2 hot CB prospects are juniors Pac Man, and justin Miller, both are faster than Rolle but not as tall.

Webster is a guy I hope slips he reminds me a lot of Corey Chavous only faster, I think he'll be a pro bowler someday, at FS not CB.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Why would we spend a Top Ten pick on a CB, even one as dominant in the college game as Antrel Rolle? Did anyone watch the NFL this year? Rule changes made even once spectacular physical CBs like Champ Bailey and Chris McAlister look pedestrian. I'd rather draft a playmaking safety who knows how to tackle to go with Wilson. If we are dead set on drafting a CB, I'd wait for the second/third round and draft a speed CB like Perkins who could also fill in on special teams.

agreed, as long as the rules are like that paying huge money to a CB is iffy because no matter how good he is, the rules make it impossible to be a lockdown CB.

Get a RB, or a DT, or QB or LB. I like Rolle don't get me wrong but if we're picking top 5 I don't think it makes sense until they change the rules.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My three:

1. RB--either man up and draft one in the first, grab a FA like Jordan or make a reasonable trade for Bennett.

2. Big-Bodied DT--We need an anchor in the middle to help stop the run.

3a. Proven OG in FA--we need to really make a run at least one "blue-chip" guard in FA. I think we'll be okay at tackle and center.

3b. QB Competition--Kitna, Johnson, Bledsoe, Brooks...*gasp*or Rogers or Leinhart if they're available to us. Bring someone in to compete for the starting job.

4. Fire Alex Woods.

5. Draft a CB in the second (and thrid?).

6. Draft a TE in the 3rd or 4th if we can't land a guy like Becht in FA.

7. Sign Boldin to a long-term deal

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Pariah said:
My
3b. QB Competition--Kitna, Johnson, Bledsoe, Brooks...*gasp*or Rogers or Leinhart if they're available to us. Bring someone in to compete for the starting job.
This really makes the most sense. We need a veteran that can get the job done if Josh gets hurt....There are only a few with Joshs mobility and really not any Fa that one would consider a gamer or a cerebrel Qb. I guess the closest would be Kitna...but he won't beat Josh out and wouldn't be an upgrade. Competition is good as long as the guys that are brought in can actually compete. Navarre should be givin every chance to backup next season.

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The 2 hot CB prospects are juniors Pac Man, and justin Miller, both are faster than Rolle but not as tall.

Webster is a guy I hope slips he reminds me a lot of Corey Chavous only faster, I think he'll be a pro bowler someday, at FS not CB.

Russ,

If he lasts, the answer in round #3 is Jimmy Williams of Va.Tech......he's a Junior, yet at 6'3"/215 he projects as a FS vs.a CB. Personally, I'd opt for Elton Brown at ROG in round #1 (only if we secure a Bennett type RB in the off season). Brown would make our O-Line 30 % better just by himself.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
1) Stopping the run.

2) Being able to run.

These are THE prioritys this year.

I'm not sure about Rolle in the first. With the new rules in place, drafting a CB that high scares the crap out of me. We aren't even bad against the pass. Last time I checked we ranked 11th against the pass. So why do we need to take a CB in the first?

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pariah said:
My three:

1. RB--either man up and draft one in the first, grab a FA like Jordan or make a reasonable trade for Bennett.

2. Big-Bodied DT--We need an anchor in the middle to help stop the run.

3a. Proven OG in FA--we need to really make a run at least one "blue-chip" guard in FA. I think we'll be okay at tackle and center.

3b. QB Competition--Kitna, Johnson, Bledsoe, Brooks...*gasp*or Rogers or Leinhart if they're available to us. Bring someone in to compete for the starting job./QUOTE

With you all the way on these. A top RB will make this much criticized line look much better and will take pressure off of whoever is at QB.
A monster tackle next to Dockett could make this defense downright nasty.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
1. Sign Boldin

2. Sign/Draft a Stud CB.

3. Sign/Draft a FAST HB.

Peace
:thumbup:

I would LOVE to get Bubba Franks, and Will Demps IF they are available.

1. Quit drinking.

2. Find a new girl friend. My wife does no like my present one.

3. Tell my boss where to stick it.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Who? I'm kinda curious, who is available when we pick in the draft or FA that will equal the heights of what people want around here. People around here want a perfect QB that can lead us without a running game (or even a threat of one), a TE and a RB that have no idea how to pick up a blitz, and an OLine that didn't learn how to pass block until 6 weeks ago. Who is that guy? I want specifics not the "anyone is better than Josh" crap spewed by some on here.

I swear people on here don't watch any other games besides Cardinal games because you all have a vastly different view of the QB play of the league than me. The QB play around the league sucks and the majority of those out there will be FAs FOR A REASON.

I think 90% of all good teams are built around a QB. It remains the most important position on any team. If you do not have a good one or at least an average one you will go nowhere. I really do not know how best address this problem. It has been an ongoing problem since Lomax and until it is solved we will never be better than average team and perhaps worse. Look at the worst teams in the league and look at their QB's.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shane H said:
No I dont think a better QB would speed Emitts legs up one bit. A better QB wouldnt get Emmitt to the whole any quicker or around the end any faster. That is a fact! It has nothing to do with QB play.

Hey guys Emmitt is age 36. For a running back that is like 60. He is great for his age but compared to the top RB's around the league there is no comparrisons. He is subject to a season ending injury on any play and much more so than a 26 year old. I love the guy but he is better suited to play with a contender not a team in flux.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
I'll agree with that to a certain extent. The problem with focusing on looking for a QB is that the great ones (and with the problems that this team had on offense, a great QB would be needed to overcome it) are few and far between.

Its much easier to look for a stud fast RB than it is to look for a great Qb in this FA crop and the draft this year.

Of the 20 top RB's in the league only 8 were drafted in Round 1.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shane H said:
I know what you are trying to say. But the bottom line is that our RB is to old and over the hill. A younger more talented RB would have done wonders for Josh and the OL which wouldnt have to hold blocks as long. Emmitt wouldnt do wonders for any QB at this point in his career.

I think football is the ultimate "Team" game. Almost everyones play effects ever other players play in one way or the other.