What are you reading now?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exposure to gamma rays might do that, I guess.

Interesting, so he switches to Pariah (hulk) during reading time, and Jason (Dr. Banner) during posting time. I think you are on to something.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
Replay was really, really good. I loved the way it ended...

I was glad it didn't try to tie everything up and explain why it happened, and that he has an open world ahead of him (not able to manipulate money markets/bets, etc) and loves it. I also like that another replayer starts up at the same time frame...it leaves the whole thing open to your own interpretation of why, how, who else, etc. Left it mysterious just as life and death is anyway. Really liked that ending....

I had told my wife earlier in the day before I finished it that it could end a lot of different ways, but I was hoping it would end open and not tie it all together. I was pleasantly suprised.

I think if they made a movie of this, it would likely suck...just wouldn't translate to screen very well, I don't think.

just finished replay. i really, really enjoyed it. thanks to jason for mailing it to me. i agree with your synopsis of the ending, d-dogg. also, it would be ruined if it were in movie form, i think. it would be too short and they would cut out too much. the whole "starsea" thing was over my head. i couldn't understand the appeal of the story at all.

question to those that have read it: if you could, would you want to "replay" like in the book?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just finished replay. i really, really enjoyed it. thanks to jason for mailing it to me. i agree with your synopsis of the ending, d-dogg. also, it would be ruined if it were in movie form, i think. it would be too short and they would cut out too much. the whole "starsea" thing was over my head. i couldn't understand the appeal of the story at all.

question to those that have read it: if you could, would you want to "replay" like in the book?

Yeah, I figured you'd like it.

A movie could never convey
that he went through several lifetimes...how could they do that in a movie, and show the frustration, anguish, acceptance, relationship creation, etc. through all of them in a two hour movie? Would suck. And I thought the whole premise of "starsea" sucked terribly. For such a good work of fiction, the fiction inside was horrible, especially to be such a changing life kind of movie. Whatever, crap. I kind of pushed that to the side. I loved the stuff about Lee Harvey Oswald and the crazy replayer who killed the kids and such...just weird stuff.

Would I want to replay like that? Hmmm...well it would be fun on some levels and not as much on many more.
I think the feeling of impending death over and over again, not knowing when it would end, would be hard. Nothing would be familiar to you, yet everything would be at the same time. A lifelong groundhog day experience doesn't sound fun, although you would pick up so much knowledge and experience. If you could do it, and know what was going on it would be better knowing you would go back to your old life eventually. But without knowing you'd go back...I don't think I'd want to.

Good book.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the whole "starsea" thing was over my head. i couldn't understand the appeal of the story at all.

Really? I thought that was one of the best parts of the book where he first realized he was not the only replayer. Someone in Hollywood bought idea of a 3-foot alien with a lighted finger that likes Reese's pieces and became the highest grossing movie ever at the time. I didn't find it flawed.

No, and I think that was one of the main points of the book. If you could live your life over with knowledge of the future, you can make changes, but it introduces new consequences and problems.

jenna2891

Reaction score
Really? I thought that was one of the best parts of the book where he first realized he was not the only replayer. Someone in Hollywood bought idea of a 3-foot alien with a lighted finger that likes Reese's pieces and became the highest grossing movie ever at the time. I didn't find it flawed.

to clarify... i thought that the story of starsea sucked, but him finding something/someone new was great. i just couldn't understand the appeal of the whole dolphin/alien thing.

also, and speaking of aliens, for half a second when they met the other, crazy replayer, i was afraid the violent alien explanation was gonna be the answer. needless to say, i'm so happy it wasn't

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to clarify... i thought that the story of starsea sucked, but him finding something/someone new was great. i just couldn't understand the appeal of the whole dolphin/alien thing.

also, and speaking of aliens, for half a second when they met the other, crazy replayer, i was afraid the violent alien explanation was gonna be the answer. needless to say, i'm so happy it wasn't

I agree with your clarification on starsea.
the story of it/movie was stupid and awful and far too hippie-like to be mainstream "it changed my life man" kind of thing it was made to be...but I thought it was awesome he found another replayer especially at the point of his life he was in.

Jenna, you haven't really answered your own question, though. Would you?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly, i think i would. i think the idea is fascinating. i think of all the places i would love to see, or the things i would love to do and it sounds great.

Knowing what would happen eventually, or doing like in the book and not knowing? That plays a big deal in my thoughts on that.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both. i think everything, even the bad stuff and mistakes, would be worth trying.

Oh, I agree it would all be worth trying but
I don't think I could forsake my current life to replay if I didn't know I would be coming back to it eventually. His life sucked, but mine I kind of like. If I knew I could come right back, to the same moment, I'd be all over replaying a bunch of times.

jenna2891

Reaction score
Oh, I agree it would all be worth trying but
I don't think I could forsake my current life to replay if I didn't know I would be coming back to it eventually. His life sucked, but mine I kind of like. If I knew I could come right back, to the same moment, I'd be all over replaying a bunch of times.

that's a good point. i don't have kids yet, so i think that would influence my decision.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's all yours, sister. :thumbup:
:) Debating on whether or not to use it. Don't like being bitter, and that won't help any...but damn, it's funny. Maybe I'll save it for my anniversaries :) (Yes, I have two--married the man twice...ugh).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05