What are you reading now?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finishing up The Mark which is book #8 in the left behind series. I seem to be doin roughly a book a week. Still enjoy them. Cant believe many of you quit reading the series.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I just read about librarything.com yesterday. You can use it to catalog and rate all of your books. It's very easy to add books and rate them.

You can then compare your books with other users, make and get recommendations, etc. I suggest checking it out. :)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just spent a few minutes on librarything.com...it's okay, I guess. I need to play around with it more.

I wish I could add more than one book at a time. For example, I have all of Jim Thompson's books. So I search on "Jim Thompson," and get everything I need--but I can only click on one at a time. That's really annoying.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just finished The World Is Flat. It took me a long time to get thru this one. It’s so packed full of information that I wanted to take my time and let it sink in.

I liked the USA Basketball analogy, it really made a lot of sense. One thing that really stood out was when he was going thru the requirements of opening/closing a business in other countries. I found that to be very interesting.

Next up is The Wisdom of Crowds, by James Surowiecki.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished The World Is Flat. It took me a long time to get thru this one. It’s so packed full of information that I wanted to take my time and let it sink in.

I liked the USA Basketball analogy, it really made a lot of sense. One thing that really stood out was when he was going thru the requirements of opening/closing a business in other countries. I found that to be very interesting.

Next up is The Wisdom of Crowds, by James Surowiecki.

Once abomb finishes the copy of The World is Flat we got him for christmas, I'm going to borrow it from him.

I made the mistake of buying him Bonfire of the Vanities one time, but he doesn't know how to read fiction. So I repossessed that one.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm reading the Hostage by W.E.B. Griffin. It totally blows...I'll be busy with this one for the next 9 months.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once abomb finishes the copy of The World is Flat we got him for christmas, I'm going to borrow it from him.

Still reading it. :) Taking the same approach as Bada, letting it all sink in. Definitely one of the best and most interesting books I've ever read.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I never read the series, had no interest. Let me know what you think? I've heard from others that the series is bias and that Copleston tells the reader consistantly what the philosophers were thinking even when it contradicts what was written/said. I still have shelves of philosophy books, kept every single one through my bachelors and Masters degrees, if you are looking for any recommendations, let me know the topic and I can throw a few titles your way.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never read the series, had no interest. Let me know what you think? I've heard from others that the series is bias and that Copleston tells the reader consistantly what the philosophers were thinking even when it contradicts what was written/said. I still have shelves of philosophy books, kept every single one through my bachelors and Masters degrees, if you are looking for any recommendations, let me know the topic and I can throw a few titles your way.

what did you get your bachelors and masters in?

i just finished my first ever philosophy class and blew it away with a 97%. I start my second philosophy class in about a week. I've got 2 of my 7 bookshelves full of philosophy books and over the past 4 years or so I've read the majority of them. as far as what particular area i am interested in - I'm not totally sure yet. i have enjoyed studying up on epistemology - but i'm not sure if that is something that i want to pursue completely. also the entire mind-body problem is also very interesting to me as well.

thanks for any suggestions you might have.

shawn

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
what did you get your bachelors and masters in?

i just finished my first ever philosophy class and blew it away with a 97%. I start my second philosophy class in about a week. I've got 2 of my 7 bookshelves full of philosophy books and over the past 4 years or so I've read the majority of them. as far as what particular area i am interested in - I'm not totally sure yet. i have enjoyed studying up on epistemology - but i'm not sure if that is something that i want to pursue completely. also the entire mind-body problem is also very interesting to me as well.

thanks for any suggestions you might have.

shawn

I have a B.S. and Masters in Philosophy.
That's awesome on the 97%! Congrats! Phil isn't an easy subject and hard to grasp at times, but if you enjoy it, are interested, it can be fun. Try to tackle Aristotle, he'll make your head spin! I'll wander through my books and see if something stands out to suggest for you. One thing if you don't already have that I still use today is the The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy ( link ) it's a bit spendy, but you can find it used and in soft cover. PM me if you want any suggested reading on a specific topic in the future. I look forward to hearing your opinion on Copleston.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a B.S. and Masters in Philosophy.
That's awesome on the 97%! Congrats! Phil isn't an easy subject and hard to grasp at times, but if you enjoy it, are interested, it can be fun. Try to tackle Aristotle, he'll make your head spin! I'll wander through my books and see if something stands out to suggest for you. One thing if you don't already have that I still use today is the The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy ( link ) it's a bit spendy, but you can find it used and in soft cover. PM me if you want any suggested reading on a specific topic in the future. I look forward to hearing your opinion on Copleston.

Thanks for the info. I own the Oxford Companion to Philosophy (hardback, 1995, used). I picked it up for $8 a couple of years back and use it quite a bit. If you think the Cambridge version might be superior then I'll hunt around and find a used one. As much as I love several different topics, I'm not going to spend $65 on a book - lol.

I was proud of myself that I muddled my way through Plato's Republic twice last Summer/Fall. None of the topics are "easy" per se, but the hardest part of the Republic was getting past the particular translation that I own. I think there must be better quality translations out there than the one I have - so I've been hunting for one of those as well. If you have any suggestions on a particularly good and clear translation, that would be helpful. The concepts were not too terribly difficult to follow and I definitely enjoyed working my way through it.

I do have some Aristotle sitting on my shelf, but I haven't had the time to crack those books open and begin reading them. I have a cursory knowledge of his thought and I'm sure I will enjoy reading him as soon as I find the time to do so.

As far as Copleston writing history goes, I am guessing that it will be similar as any other author - biased to an extent, from a particular perspective and focused on a particular goal. I'll read it with that in mind and cross-check as much as I am able to.

shawn

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I own the Oxford Companion to Philosophy (hardback, 1995, used). I picked it up for $8 a couple of years back and use it quite a bit. If you think the Cambridge version might be superior then I'll hunt around and find a used one. As much as I love several different topics, I'm not going to spend $65 on a book - lol.

I was proud of myself that I muddled my way through Plato's Republic twice last Summer/Fall. None of the topics are "easy" per se, but the hardest part of the Republic was getting past the particular translation that I own. I think there must be better quality translations out there than the one I have - so I've been hunting for one of those as well. If you have any suggestions on a particularly good and clear translation, that would be helpful. The concepts were not too terribly difficult to follow and I definitely enjoyed working my way through it.

I do have some Aristotle sitting on my shelf, but I haven't had the time to crack those books open and begin reading them. I have a cursory knowledge of his thought and I'm sure I will enjoy reading him as soon as I find the time to do so.

As far as Copleston writing history goes, I am guessing that it will be similar as any other author - biased to an extent, from a particular perspective and focused on a particular goal. I'll read it with that in mind and cross-check as much as I am able to.

shawn

I've never looked through the Oxford version, I'm sure that's sufficient. I wouldn't have bought it either, but it was required for a class.. you know how they love to pick out the most expensive books.

As for the Republic, I don't know if the version I have was any better. I'll look through my stuff later tonight and see if there's anything better to recommend. I'll get back to youon that later.

Aristotle was very difficult for me and years later I still struggle with him. I really enjoyed learning about the old philosophers. If I remember correctly, it was reading about Socrates and his story that sucked me in. I never planned to use Philosophy as a career, I just loved the subject and eventually had enough credits for a degree. I got a Masters because I was fond of the staff at the University and they offered me a paid gig as a TA and free tuition.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a Doctor Seuss book last night. Green eggs and something. I am having trouble with it. Good pictures though.

:)

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a Doctor Seuss book last night. Green eggs and something. I am having trouble with it. Good pictures though.

:)

i would recommend a good pop-up book - that might be more your speed. :D

shawn

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live right next to a library and they've been having a book sale over the last few days. I went today and bought ten. I'll go back on Sunday when everything is half price and probably pick up a few more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05