What are you reading now?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Finished In The Belly of the Green Bird, very informative book, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in whats going on in Iraq right now. Shows the Muslim perception of the US in Iraq and why a true democracy may never work in that region.

I've started The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades) by Robert Spencer. A whole different viewpoint, more historical so far and he pulls no punches.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I picked up Life of Pi today from the library based on your glowing recommendations in this thread. It sounds interesting.

I just read it. This was much different than what I usually read, so it was quite an interesting journey. For some reason I found it pretty funny when he was writing the letter to put in the wine bottle. He was writing about the ship and his family, and that he had some food, some water, but the Bengal Tiger was a serious problem. I think it was the tone that I was interpreting him using that actually made me laugh out loud.

I read that they might be turning this into a movie. I’d love to see it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started listening to "Blink" in the car. Pretty good so far, same tone as "The Tipping Point" and just as interesting.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started listening to "Blink" in the car. Pretty good so far, same tone as "The Tipping Point" and just as interesting.

Nice. I finished The Tipping Point last night. I really liked it. There were a couple of points that really hit home for me. I think Blink will be next, after I read Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat".

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes!

1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.

42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.

80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.

70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

57 percent of new books are not read to completion.

70 percent of books published do not earn back their advance.

70 percent of the books published do not make a profit.

http://www.humorwriters.org/startlingstats.html

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yikes!

1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.

42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.

80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.

70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

57 percent of new books are not read to completion.

70 percent of books published do not earn back their advance.

70 percent of the books published do not make a profit.

http://www.humorwriters.org/startlingstats.html

Some books are so ridiculously overpriced, I don't know how they sell any copies.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Finished these two this weekend:

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Waiting to pick up a friend at the airport, I stopped in at borders and read the first quarter of "The Tipping Point". Picked it up for $14 and hope to bang it out in a day or two.

I just read it. I love reading nonfiction stuff like this. I still have no idea what the heck Hush Puppies look like, but all of his examples were very interesting.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read it. This was much different than what I usually read, so it was quite an interesting journey. For some reason I found it pretty funny when he was writing the letter to put in the wine bottle. He was writing about the ship and his family, and that he had some food, some water, but the Bengal Tiger was a serious problem. I think it was the tone that I was interpreting him using that actually made me laugh out loud.

I read that they might be turning this into a movie. I’d love to see it.

I'm about halfway through Life of Pi. I like it so far, and there are just some beautiful turns of phrase in this book.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read it. I love reading nonfiction stuff like this. I still have no idea what the heck Hush Puppies look like, but all of his examples were very interesting.
I just finished "Blink" by the same author. If you liked "Tipping Point," you'll LOVE Blink. It was phenomenal, IMO.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just finished Star Wars: Allegiance by Timothy Zahn this weekend, I may be a dork but I grew up with Star Wars and read all the novels(except for the Rogue Squadron and Young Jedi Knight ones).

I'm currently reading Epicenter: Why the Current Rumblings In The Middle East Will Change Your Future by Joel C. Rosenberg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05