What are you reading now?

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I've been on a John Fante kick lately. Read "Ask the Dust", then "Wait Until Spring, Bandini", and now read "Road to Los Angeles".

My girlfriend gave me the first book in March, and I'm hooked. Charles Bucowski owes a lot to Fante, pretty much stole his style. Fante was soooo ahead of his time.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now reading Einstein: His Life and Universe.

Good so far, but only one disc in (of 18).

Half through CD 9...great book. Good insights. The physics are explained well enough to grasp the reasons why he or others were excited at the time, and the drama of solving equations is brought forth.

I just keep thinking tough how stupid it is of me to think of AE as a genius...but that is the way to describe him. Just ridiculously clever and genius. I don't think I'll ever use the dude's name as a farce again (as in calling some idiot Einstein for being stupid). He's kind of beyond reproach.

As a person and a husband and a dad he's kind of a POS, but as a mind he's more brilliant than a planet made of diamonds and rubies.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Reading ******** and Philosphy...great insights into the human need to ********. Will give a full review when I'm done.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading ******** and Philosphy...great insights into the human need to ********. Will give a full review when I'm done.

Dang, this could have been written by any one of us.

I'm going back and re-reading Generation X, Life After God, and Microserfs, because I want to remember what it was like to read rich characters and modern prose that flows without being pretentious. Douglass Coupland remains my hero, I guess.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dang, this could have been written by any one of us.

Yeah, so far it's a lot of common sense, but it's put together in a great format that opens your eyes a bit to the BS we all sling every day.

I just bought another book called Breaking the Spell, Religion as a Natural Phenomenon. Looks interesting, can't wait to read it.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Harry Potter is finished so I have moved on. I just bought Stephen King's "The Gunslinger".

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry Potter is finished so I have moved on. I just bought Stephen King's "The Gunslinger".

Just so you know, you can search this forum for them...but it's part of the Dark Towers series, which is like 7 books...

I got through 3.5 and got sick of them...maybe someday I will restart the thing.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
OMG, they just had sex! :p The first 10 or so pages were pretty tough, but now I'm getting it. I haven't read much in the last few years so I thought it would be good to start up again. Without books I seem to have been getting dumber and dumber. Not good. :(

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (Paperback)
by Malcolm Gladwell

The premise of this facile piece of pop sociology has built-in appeal: little changes can have big effects; when small numbers of people start behaving differently, that behavior can ripple outward until a critical mass or "tipping point" is reached, changing the world. Gladwell's thesis that ideas, products, messages and behaviors "spread just like viruses do" remains a metaphor as he follows the growth of "word-of-mouth epidemics" triggered with the help of three pivotal types. These are Connectors, sociable personalities who bring people together; Mavens, who like to pass along knowledge; and Salesmen, adept at persuading the unenlightened. (Paul Revere, for example, was a Maven and a Connector). Gladwell's applications of his "tipping point" concept to current phenomena--such as the drop in violent crime in New York, the rebirth of Hush Puppies suede shoes as a suburban mall favorite, teenage suicide patterns and the efficiency of small work units--may arouse controversy. For example, many parents may be alarmed at his advice on drugs: since teenagers' experimentation with drugs, including cocaine, seldom leads to hardcore use, he contends, "We have to stop fighting this kind of experimentation. We have to accept it and even embrace it." While it offers a smorgasbord of intriguing snippets summarizing research on topics such as conversational patterns, infants' crib talk, judging other people's character, cheating habits in schoolchildren, memory sharing among families or couples, and the dehumanizing effects of prisons, this volume betrays its roots as a series of articles for the New Yorker, where Gladwell is a staff writer: his trendy material feels bloated and insubstantial in book form. Agent, Tina Bennett of Janklow & Nesbit. Major ad/promo. (Mar.)
Copyright 2000 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm about halfway through The Master and Margarita. It's amazing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished the Einstein book...really good. I'm now about .001% smarter.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just finished the Einstein book...really good. I'm now about .001% smarter.

Speaking of Einstein, one of my favorite books is called Einstein's Dreams. It's short, but fascinating and very fun to read.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Einstein, one of my favorite books is called Einstein's Dreams. It's short, but fascinating and very fun to read.

I recall hearing about that somewhere...I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I also read a book called "Einstein's Brain" ... something about transporting old Al's brain in the trunk of a car from Jersey to Cali? I can't really remember much about it other than I liked it.

I also read Einstein's Dreams. That was really good.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I also read a book called "Einstein's Brain" ... something about transporting old Al's brain in the trunk of a car from Jersey to Cali? I can't really remember much about it other than I liked it.

That really happened...the guy who did the autopsy drove all over the country with the brain, shipped out slides of it to scientists, kept it secret in a jar.

Weird stuff. It was in the epilogue of Einstein: His Life and Universe.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Botany of Desire - Michael Pollan
Pork and Sons Cookbook (see Avatar) - Stephane Reynaud. Amazing cookbook. Amazing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently re-reading 1984, it's been years since I've read that book.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05