What are you reading now?

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Playing for Pizza by John Grisham, a nice story about a QB who failed miserably in the NFL and went on to play in Italy. Going very slow with it though. A little over 2/3 of the way done and I got it on Christmas.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I'm currently reading, "We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families". Very powerful stuff, and although the author can sometimes get sidetracked, the material speaks for itself.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm currently reading, "We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families". Very powerful stuff, and although the author can sometimes get sidetracked, the material speaks for itself.

That is definitely a good book to read. That title alone should make people curious about it.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
That is definitely a good book to read. That title alone should make people curious about it.

I'll post some thoughts on the whole thing when I'm done, I'm currently about 50 pages away and will probably finish it tomorrow. I'm getting in a shipment of about nine books sometime this week, so I've got some catching up to do. Next on my list is One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Corps Officer. I heard from a friend that it's pretty good.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished the His Dark Materials trilogy. Great books with excellent writing. Book number 3, The Amber Spyglass, was especially compelling. I couldn't put it down and was racing towards the end of it.

I highly recommend these books for anyone who likes great character interaction.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I just finished the His Dark Materials trilogy. Great books with excellent writing. Book number 3, The Amber Spyglass, was especially compelling. I couldn't put it down and was racing towards the end of it.

I highly recommend these books for anyone who likes great character interaction.

How did you like the way it ended? I personally didn't like and I thought it was a lazy way for the writer to end it.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Born Standing Up - Stever Martin

Great insight for a guy best known for having an arrow through his head.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally finished Obama's book. Tough read as it did not really grab my attention.

But it was nice to read about things in his past that has shaped him into who he is today.
Which one?

TheAudacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream

or

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance ?

I let my ex borrow Dreams from My Father before I read it; I'll be getting that back soon, and dcr & I both have a copy of The Audacity of Hope coming (thank you, dcr! :) ). I'm looking forward to both. My ex said he liked Dreams from My Father.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you like the way it ended?

It was so heartbreaking! I read a lot and this was the first book that really moved me. Definitely not the ending I would have written but it's one that stays with you.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting Audacity of Hope today. First book I have really wanted to read in years.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just finished reading Heroes Among Us: Firsthand Accounts of Combat from America's Most Decorated ... By Chuck Larson

Excellent read, in most cases from the Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmans own words. Most of the time these decorated veterans are nothing more than kids and the decisions made and courage shown is inspiring. Each and everyone of them is deserving of the title HERO, a title that I think gets thrown around too often. IMO No matter your feelings on the war you have to give credit to our men on the ground and respect those that go above and beyond.

I'm currently reading...Rising Sun Victorious: An Alternate History of the Pacific War by Peter G. Tsouras.

I read his earlier book Third Reich Victorious: The Alternate Decisions of World War II

They are collections of short scenarios by historians, military tacticians etc. Interesting in how they show how certain things could have changed the outcome of battles and how close certain battles were to being lost and what the consequences of those defeats would have been.

I'm stocking up my personal library for the 4 months I'll be spending in Virginia for work. I plan to get a lot of reading done.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am reading Fredrick Douglas: An American Slave.

Probably the most amazing American I had never heard of. Great insight's into the Civil War.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Fair Tax - The Truth: Answering the Critics

I really don't understand why more Americans and, yes, politicians don't support this plan. Ron Paul and Huckabee are the only two remaining Repub. candidates that support. Both Billary and Obama do not...

What a shame...

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I really don't understand why more Americans and, yes, politicians don't support this plan. Ron Paul and Huckabee are the only two remaining Repub. candidates that support. Both Billary and Obama do not...

What a shame...

I was skimming through this at the Book store. If I understand this correctly, a 23% sales tax to replace federal taxes? I'm not taxed at 23% now, so of course I question this. This plan would still mean we'd be paying state taxes (sales or income) as well as this new sales tax. Currently I believe all taxes taken equal 23% of my pay. Of course not all of my pay goes to buying stuff which raises another concern. If everything has a 23% markup, wouldn't that hurt the economy with people making less purchases? Plus, buying a car @ $25-30k would mean I'd spend more in Federal taxes than I would have under the current system. I understand the idea behind the fair tax, but wouldn't having one tax rate (whatever that may be) for all income levels accomplish the same thing w/out hurting businesses or lessoning peoples buying power?

Does this plan eliminate my ability to write off interest from my houses? Get rid of deductions?

What am I missing that makes this a good idea? I wasn't interested in reading anymore than I have of the book, but if I am misunderstanding something, why is this the way to go?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What a shame...

Fair Tax is not better than our current system, the actual rate would be around 34%, but that is a discussion for another board... :D

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I was skimming through this at the Book store. If I understand this correctly, a 23% sales tax to replace federal taxes? I'm not taxed at 23% now, so of course I question this. This plan would still mean we'd be paying state taxes (sales or income) as well as this new sales tax. Currently I believe all taxes taken equal 23% of my pay. Of course not all of my pay goes to buying stuff which raises another concern. If everything has a 23% markup, wouldn't that hurt the economy with people making less purchases? Plus, buying a car @ $25-30k would mean I'd spend more in Federal taxes than I would have under the current system. I understand the idea behind the fair tax, but wouldn't having one tax rate (whatever that may be) for all income levels accomplish the same thing w/out hurting businesses or lessoning peoples buying power?

Does this plan eliminate my ability to write off interest from my houses? Get rid of deductions?

What am I missing that makes this a good idea? I wasn't interested in reading anymore than I have of the book, but if I am misunderstanding something, why is this the way to go?

Rather than just "skimming" through the book, pay the $10 and buy it... Not enough time here to correct your incorrect perceptions... Suffice to say, you're wrong...