What are you reading now?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rather than just "skimming" through the book, pay the $10 and buy it... Not enough time here to correct your incorrect perceptions... Suffice to say, you're wrong...

Nah.. I ain't givin' a dime to the clowns who wrote the book. I was just curious to why I should be behind this plan.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Nah.. I ain't givin' a dime to the clowns who wrote the book. I was just curious to why I should be behind this plan.

Whatever... Just posted a thread that gives a very brief summary... Give it a spin... or a "skim"...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm halfway through jPod, probably Douglas Coupland's funniest book. If you liked Microserfs, this one is funnier and less sentimental about the 70s. It's sort of a cross between 'Serfs and All Families Are Psychotic. He's made three direct references to himself and his previous work in the first 200 pages. You can tell he was very glib in writing another conventional novel, probably at the behest of his publisher. He just can't help but be a fluid writer who provides wonderful insights. I think he was probably drinking heavily while writing this book.

I have Michael Crichton's State of Fear on deck and The Stranger by Albert Camus in the hole.

I have a long list of modern classics I'm determined to read, I just don't know where else to start. I picked Camus because I have a minor interest in 20th Century French philosophy. I'm reticent. Wonder if I should have started with Kafka's Metamorphisis or Don Quixote, which I've started twice and never finished.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So the book I am reading today on the airplane is pretty good, and then I get to page 82 and it skips to page 115...30+ pages not even bound in the book. What kind of garbage is that? Hopefully I can exchange it here in VA even though I bought it in TN...I won't be back in TN until June so if not I'm SOL.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the book I am reading today on the airplane is pretty good, and then I get to page 82 and it skips to page 115...30+ pages not even bound in the book. What kind of garbage is that? Hopefully I can exchange it here in VA even though I bought it in TN...I won't be back in TN until June so if not I'm SOL.

Contact the publisher for all our sakes. Shoddy book binding is all too common these days.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I was able to exchange the book here in VA at a Waldenbooks. It was a bit of a hassle because the woman had no clue--she said it was against store policy to take back a defective book. Luckily she was able to call a manager at another store and get things straightened out.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to exchange the book here in VA at a Waldenbooks. It was a bit of a hassle because the woman had no clue--she said it was against store policy to take back a defective book. Luckily she was able to call a manager at another store and get things straightened out.
Did you ask her what the store policy was on selling defective books?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Did you ask her what the store policy was on selling defective books?

It took every last ounce of patience not to lay in to her when she first gave me the line about not taking defective books. Lucky for her and me she was able to reach a competent manager at another store. I couldn't understand the issue, it was a straight up exchange...she takes my copy and sends it back to the publisher and I get an intact copy off their shelf.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm reading:
Hiding in the Mirror : The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond

You must be registered for see images attach

From Publishers Weekly
There are few scientific ideas as captivating as the notion that our universe might have other dimensions than the three (plus time) that we experience. Physicist Krauss offers an erudite and well-crafted overview of the role multiple dimensions have played in the history of physics. This isn't an easy book, even with a writer as talented as Krauss (whom some will recognize as the author of The Physics of Star Trek and Beyond Star Trek) serving as one's Virgil. Long on science and short on its connections with culture, the book is essentially an introduction to the physics and mathematics of extra dimensions with a few more or less disconnected chapters that touch on how these ideas show up in art and popular culture; there's more on brane-world and the ekpyrotic universe than on Plato's cave, whose inhabitants could not perceive reality in all its dimensions, or Buckaroo Banzai. Those who are willing to put in the requisite effort will be amply rewarded with a unique and impressive survey of scientists' astonishing and evolving understanding of the nature of the universe in all its visible and hidden dimensions. (Oct. 24)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

And I'm listening to (audiobook):
The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality

From Publishers Weekly
As the Dalai Lama observes in this wise and humble book, dialogue between scientists and those interested in spirituality is important because science is not neutral; it can be used for good or ill, and we must approach scientific inquiry with compassion and empathy. Similarly, a spirituality that ignores science can quickly become a rigid fundamentalism. Sometimes the Dalai Lama discovers similarities between the two fields. For example, Einstein's idea that time is relative dovetails neatly with Buddhist philosophical understandings of time. Still, His Holiness does not accept all scientific thinking as holy writ: though he is intrigued by scientific stories of origins, like the Big Bang theory, Buddhism holds that the universe is "infinite and beginningless." The penultimate chapter brings ethical considerations to bear on technological advancements in genetics. The Dalai Lama gently suggests that although parents who select certain genetic traits for their children may intend to give their children a leg up, they may in fact simply be capitulating to a social pressure that favors, say, boys over girls or tall people over short. He also cautions that we do not know the long-term consequences of genetically modifying our crops. In fact, it is disappointing that the Dalai Lama devotes only 18 pages to these urgent and complex topics. Perhaps this prolific author has a sequel in the works.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you look in the little window I bet you see the number "42". :)

But seriously, I am curious to see if you like this book, as I would probably add it to my to do list if you say it is even close to being readable.

Thanks,

JTS

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Right now I am "dorking out" and reading "The Minotaur Wars" trilogy. They are Dragonlance books. I must say these are refreshing entertainment after the last few serious true crime books I read.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But seriously, I am curious to see if you like this book, as I would probably add it to my to do list if you say it is even close to being readable.

Thanks,

JTS
I'm about 1/4 through and so far it's a lot of physics history. No equations or anything, but a lot of it goes over my head anyway.

It's an okay read so far.

The one by the Lama, on the other hand, is a very interesting "read" so far. Good insight not only into how to think about the differences between quantum and tradional physics, but also into the Lama himself. He embraces science and new ideas. Pretty refreshing from a spiritual leader, IMO.

AZZenny

Reaction score
The Dalai Lama is a very good teacher or presenter. I met him very briefly a decade ago, and it was one of the most powerful moments of my life.

He was fascinated by mechanical and electronic things as a young child and has never lost his (very Buddhist) belief in empiricism. Since there's no 'word of God' in Buddhism, and Buddha said 'see for yourself,' there's no problem accepting science as one important and valid lens through which the physical and mental universe(s) can be explored. In fact it's startling how accurate some of the earliest Buddhist descriptions of mental functioning have turned out to be.

The physics book sounds fascinating in premise, but doesn't sound all that readable, unfortunately. Let us know if it gets better.

AZZenny

Reaction score
"The Truth About Syria" by Barry Rubin. A very readable, not over-long recent socio-political history, and while it is about Syria, it really gives excellent snapshots of the other major players in the region and their agendas. In that sense it's a good introduction and overview of the situation we see today.

It covers from the rise of Baathism and Hafez Assad to the present-day rule of Bashar Assad, and relations with other Arab states, the West, and Israel. It emphasizes the tenuous balance the Assads keep between the diminishing secular Baathist Muslims, a Sunni majority falling under the influence of religious conservatism of the Muslim Brotherhood, as well as very significant Kurdish, Christian, and Druze minorities -- all ruled with increasing isolation by the Alawites, a tiny 'Shia' sect that even mainstream Shias consider pretty heretical.

He makes a very compelling case that the last thing Syria could stand would be peace in the region because the moment there is no chaotic external threat, and thus no possibility of seizing territory to make 'a Greater Syria,' the Alawites will not be able to continue their repressive and corrupt rule in the face of so many suddenly unoccupied internal rivals. The sectarian civil war, he suggests, will make Iraq look like a hootenanny.

When you look at Syria's ongoing two-faced and stop-start behaviors and their support of every type of terrorist organization for 20-plus years in this light, it all fits together really tightly.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score