Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto"

You must be registered for see images attach

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. In his hugely influential treatise The Omnivore's Dilemma, Pollan traced a direct line between the industrialization of our food supply and the degradation of the environment. His new book takes up where the previous work left off. Examining the question of what to eat from the perspective of health, this powerfully argued, thoroughly researched and elegant manifesto cuts straight to the chase with a maxim that is deceptively simple: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. But as Pollan explains, food in a country that is driven by a thirty-two billion-dollar marketing machine is both a loaded term and, in its purest sense, a holy grail. The first section of his three-part essay refutes the authority of the diet bullies, pointing up the confluence of interests among manufacturers of processed foods, marketers and nutritional scientists—a cabal whose nutritional advice has given rise to a notably unhealthy preoccupation with nutrition and diet and the idea of eating healthily. The second portion vivisects the Western diet, questioning, among other sacred cows, the idea that dietary fat leads to chronic illness. A writer of great subtlety, Pollan doesn't preach to the choir; in fact, rarely does he preach at all, preferring to lets the facts speak for themselves. (Jan.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

This is a really, really well-written book. The subject matter may not seem so interesting, but damn it's well written.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I've just read...

House to House by David Bellavia, its about his experiences with the Army in Fallujah.

We Were One, by Patrick O'Donnell, its about a Marine platoon in Fallujah. Excellent book, almost as good as Bing West's No True Glory.

Star Wars: Revelation, by Karen Traviss. Jacen Solo son of Han & Leia is a Sith Lord and killed Luke SKywalkers wife (so I'm a dork).

I'm able to read a lot while I am away from home. I have about 5 other books sitting on my dresser waiting to be read....everything from political, to military history and finally to Sci Fi (the new V book).

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto"

I'm almost done with this. I can't recommend it enough.

It's really interesting and maddening at the same time. Some of the issues with the way we get our food seem so "no duh" that it's incredible that we haven't changed the process.

It's also frustrating that a lot of the problem with government recommendations is that they're influenced to such a large degree by different lobbying groups (for example, the US recommended daily sugar intake is 3x higher than that of the WHO. Why? Because of the sugar lobby. :billthecat:)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bambi vs. Godzilla: On the Nature, Purpose and Practice of the Movie Business

Mamet's a veteran screenwriter and director (currently producing The Unit for CBS), but that doesn't mean he has any great love for the industry—his Hollywood is the stereotypically corrupt and cutthroat world where screenwriters willingly change their stories to accommodate every stupid suggestion from producers, who are blatantly lining their own pockets, while stars bicker over who has the bigger trailer. But his stories are entertaining even when they're unsurprising, and though loosely organized, a few broad themes emerge. He expounds at length, for example, upon his well-known penchant for straightforward storytelling, where drama boils down to "the creation and deferment of hope," and every scene should be able to answer three questions: "Who wants what from whom? What happens if they don't get it? Why now?" At other times, he's happy simply to explain why he thinks Laurence Olivier was a terrible film actor or to test out a theory that the early film industry owes its development to Eastern European Jews with Asperger's syndrome. As usual with Mamet, each word is precisely chosen for maximum effect, and nearly all hit their mark. (Feb.)

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
How are the Warcraft books?

it's ok.
some novels have all powerful dragons as the main characters but in the game, there are no dragon heroes.

i suggest you play the game first,
the campaign mode,
to know the characters for you to appreciate the novels.

likewise in starcraft novels.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
it's ok.
some novels have all powerful dragons as the main characters but in the game, there are no dragon heroes.

i suggest you play the game first,
the campaign mode,
to know the characters for you to appreciate the novels.

likewise in starcraft novels.

I've played all versions of the game and it's still one of my favorites. So I've got that down. I was just wondering more along the line of: Are they written well?

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
The entire Wheel of Time series - at Work, on audio books.

were getting laid off in may so I have lots of free time going on. everyone is starting to go batty with nothing to do all day.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Audacity Of Hope by Barrack Obama! :thumbup:

:thumbup:

finishing Dreams From My Father now. That book really held my interest, finished it very quickly.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
:thumbup:

finishing Dreams From My Father now. That book really held my interest, finished it very quickly.

My mother raved about that book. Audacity is a little dry right now. I'm only in the second or third chapter. A lot of stuff I knew already, but I read a lot of politics. There are some great quotes in here from Obama if you ever had to make a speech.