What are you reading now?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
In preparation of my Mountain climbing course next year I am reading Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills, its over 500 pages of information. A lot to absorb. I don't expect to read it and instantly know what I am doing on the mountain but I expect it to help with vocabulary and nomenclature.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
In preparation of my Mountain climbing course next year I am reading Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills, its over 500 pages of information. A lot to absorb. I don't expect to read it and instantly know what I am doing on the mountain but I expect it to help with vocabulary and nomenclature.

Hopefully, you will learn to stay on the side of the mountain going up and down. No short-cuts.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to read the cliff notes version of that.

:|

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The Count of Monte by Alexandre Dumas, père.

Flipping Awesome book.

I recommend it to anyone that has not already read it, or has seen the movie that probably sucks.

I have not seen the movie and after reading half the book, I have decided to never see it since it will probably be horrifically bad in comparision to the book.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power by Jeff Sharlett

and $20 Per Gallon: How the Inevitable Rise in the Price of Gasoline Will Change Our Lives for the Better by Christopher Steiner

---------------------------

After reading Fast Food Nation, I can't believe what the companies and the GOP did with food safety standards. Crazy, fascinating, stuff in that book.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Count of Monte by Alexandre Dumas, père.

Flipping Awesome book.

I recommend it to anyone that has not already read it, or has seen the movie that probably sucks.

I have not seen the movie and after reading half the book, I have decided to never see it since it will probably be horrifically bad in comparision to the book.

I don't think the adaptations where all that bad.

It's definitely one of those books that stick with you forever. It will leave a mark. Prison stories are such natural settings for getting to the heart of elemental human nature and spiritual truth. This one is a towering moon shot of a home run.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Don't Know Much About History: Everything You Need to Know About American History but Never Learned

From Publishers Weekly
Davis, author of the trademarked series of Don't Know Much About primers, seeks to dispel public boredom and ignorance about history and correct mistakes about various historical events in this update of his bestselling survey of American history. He arranges the book around a series of short essays on questions ranging from the basic (e.g., "Why did the southern states secede from the United States?") to the esoteric ("What was Teddy Roosevelt's grandson doing in Iran?"), intended to crystallize larger themes in our country's past. Davis's engaging treatment is spicy but judicious. He notes sex scandals from Alexander Hamilton's to Bill Clinton's, tamps out JFK conspiracy theories and speculation about J. Edgar Hoover's cross-dressing, and debunks myths like the legend of Betsy Ross and the movie Mississippi Burning. He provides sharply drawn, even-handed accounts of controversies, and his verdicts are generally well considered. Unfortunately, because discussions are usually tied to colorful personalities, heroic movements and dramatic crises, processes that are quiet but profound, such as the post-war rise of suburbia and the decline of unions, tend to get slighted. There's lots of history to browse through here, but little historiography to tie it together; while the book is far superior to standard high-school treatments, and a valuable reference for students young and old, it still leaves the impression that history is just one damn thing after another.

Neat book. Walks you through American History hitting on most major items.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have started in on the novels of Jane Austen. Which, for some reason, I have never read. There has been a hole in my education and I am seeking to plug it.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still reading "The Alienist", but it's taking me forever.

On a side note, I just finished "Ender's Game" and it's now one of my most favorite books...ever.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Gadd wanted me to tell everyone that Dan Brown's new book came out yesterday and that it is "awesome".

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05