What are you reading now?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Reading the latest book in the Dexter series...

Dexter By Design

I enjoy these books as much as I enjoy the TV series even though they don't exactly follow each other.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just finished:
You must be registered for see images attach

Currently:
You must be registered for see images

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just finished Krakauer's book about Pat Tillman. I enjoyed it, but some won't as it is very political and points fingers. Its not really about placing blame for his death but at issue is the cover-up of the truth behind his death.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On a side note, I just finished "Ender's Game" and it's now one of my most favorite books...ever.

His (Card's) brother (my BIL) was telling me Sunday about the publishing story behind this book. He was rejected numerous (100s, I recall) times until Ben Bova finally responded and gave him some feedback and requested changes several times before publishing it in pieces in his science fiction mag (Analog, I think it was)...

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am currently reading Dan Brown's latest - The Lost Symbol. I enjoy the history and symbology behind his books.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bruce Dern's autobiography "Things I've Said, But Probably Shouldn't Have".

Great book! Just wonderful. (Of course in college my friends and I considered Freeman Lowell a God so I'm prejudiced.)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
will there be a sequel for this?

A sequel to the movie based on the book? :shrug:

http://bd-dvd.sonypictures.jp/rain_fall/

Likely since there are 6 John Rain books by Eisler.

Rain Fall (2002)
Hard Rain (UK title: Blood From Blood) (2003)
Rain Storm (UK title: Choke Point) (2004)
Killing Rain (UK title: One Last Kill) (2005)
The Last Assassin (2006)
Requiem For an Assassin (2007)

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Going back to the old Odyssey series by Clarke - 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001 - forgot what a great series this was.

Then it's onto Superfreakonomics.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just finished, The Highway War: A Marine Company Commander in Iraq by Major Seth Folsom

Not the best book I've read on the war in Iraq but not a bad read either. Not sure what I am getting next, my parents sent me a $30 gift card for Barnes & Noble so I am going to go look this weekend. Although I should be spending most of time reading Ahlan Wa Sahlan--my Arabic textbook as I study for my Arabic final next week...thats no fun though.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
"What the Dog Saw," Malcolm Gladwell

Reading this right now. I think I would read anything Gladwell writes.

On order is How to Make Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie, Living Life With No Regrets by Dr. Ed Feyereisen, and Three Cups of Tea.

Recently went through a 3 1/2 day seminar lead by Dr. Ed. Amazing stuff. Plus the guy is from Payson so double props to him.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently reading Dan Brown's latest - The Lost Symbol. I enjoy the history and symbology behind his books.

dan brown - the lost symbol

Did you guys like it? I'm looking at my recent posts and it sounds like I am negative on everything, but this book is just OK thru 3/4ths of it. Not really a page-turner.

The history and symbols are kind of cool, though. And it is kind of fun to read parts of it and say "BS", but then Wiki it and learn more.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Slackonomics: Generation X in the Age of Creative Destruction by Lisa Chamberlain

Product Description
Why Gen Xers--waiting for Boomers to retire--have made the choices they have, and how their creativity can save us from economic ruin.

Generation X grew up in the greed-is-good 1980s, before the Great Middle-Class Squeeze and the roller coaster of economic insecurity and tech revolution began driving Xers' cultural trends, lifestyle choices, and sociological circumstances. And while some foresee a disastrous financial future for all but those at the very top of the pyramid, Slackonomics reveals how a generation forged in such destruction--with the creativity of apathetic slackers, damn-the-torpedoes daytraders, deficit-spending consumers, and permanent freelancers--can bring the economy back from the brink.

One part Freakonomics, one part Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs, Lisa Chamberlain's debut is a must-read for anyone interested in our nation's future as the Boomers begin handing over the reins to the Xers.

Decent, quick read for us Gen Xers.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Men Who Stare at Goats," by Jon Ronson
I heard the movie wasn't any good, but the book is interesting.

You must be registered for see images

Publisher's Weekly said:
This exploration of the U.S. military's flirtation with the supernatural is at once funny and tragic. It reads like fiction, with plenty of dialogue and descriptive detail, but as Ronson's investigation into the government's peculiar past doings creeps into the present-and into Iraq-it will raise goose bumps. As Ronson reveals, a secret wing of the U.S. military called First Earth Battalion was created in 1979 with the purpose of creating "Warrior Monks," soldiers capable of walking through walls, becoming invisible, reading minds and even killing a goat simply by staring at it. Some of the characters involved seem well-meaning enough, such as the hapless General Stubblebine, who is "confounded by his continual failure to walk through his wall." But Ronson (Them: Adventures with Extremists) soon learns that the Battalion's bizarre ideas inspired some alarming torture techniques being used in the present-day War on Terror. One technique involves subjecting prisoners to 24 hours of Barney the Purple Dinosaur's song, "I Love You," and another makes use of the Predator, a small, toy-like object designed by military martial arts master Pete Brusso that can inflict a large amount of pain in many different ways ("You can take eyeballs right out... with this bit," Brusso tells Ronson). Ronson approaches the material with an open mind and a delightfully dry sense of humor, which makes this an entertaining, if unsettling, read. Indeed, as the events recounted here grow ever more curious-and the individuals Ronson meets more disturbing-it's necessary to remind oneself of Ronson's opening words: "This is a true story.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The Last American Man," Elizabeth Gilbert

Publisher's Weekly said:
"By the time Eustace Conway was seven years old he could throw a knife accurately enough to nail a chipmunk to a tree." Such behavior might qualify Eustace as a potential Columbine-style triggerman, but in Gilbert's startling and fascinating account of his life, he becomes a great American countercultural hero. At 17, Conway "headed into the mountains... and dressed in the skins of animals he had hunted and eaten." By his late 30s, Eustace owned "a thousand acres of pristine wilderness" and lived in a teepee in the woods full-time. He is, as Gilbert (Stern Men) implies with her literary and historical references, a cross between Davy Crockett and Henry David Thoreau. Gilbert, who is friends with Conway and interviewed his family, evidences enormous enthusiasm for her subject, whether discussing Conway's need for alcohol to calm down; his relationship with a physically and emotionally abusive father; or his horrific hand-to-antler fight with a deer buck he was trying to kill yet she always keeps her reporter's distance. At times, Conway's story can be wonderfully moving (as when he buries kindergartners in a shallow trench with their faces turned skyward to help them understand that the forest floor is "alive") or disconcerting (as when, in 1995, he's uncertain about Bill Clinton's identity). Gilbert has a jaunty, breathless style, and she paints a complicated portrait of American maleness that is as original as it is surprising.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Losers Live Longer," by Russell Atwood
Pretty good crime noir, which is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Publisher's Weekly said:
Atwood brings back droopy detective Payton Sherwood, familiar from 1999's East of A, in this modernized crime tale. Sherwood is the titular loser: Two-thirds of the year gone by and I'd only had four paying clients. Then retired PI George Rowell phones with a job. When Rowell is run down and killed in the street in front of Sherwood's office, Sherwood rifles the old man's pockets, comes up with several unrelated bits of paper and takes off before the cops come. Despite the death of his client, Sherwood begins to unravel a rat's nest of mysteries, with bad guys beating the snot out of him several times along the way. References to Craigslist and eBay jar slightly with the otherwise straightforwardly old-fashioned tale of a PI who cares moreabout honor and truth than money. (Sept.)

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just finished Andre Agassi's "Open" I recommend it to any tennis fan.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05