What are you reading now?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Loved Into Thin Air by John Krakauer.

Reading Beyond Band of Brothers by Dick Winters.

Steve Jobs book is lined up next then.

My iPad has changed the amount of books I can read.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
On a friend's suggestion, I went and picked up Starship Troopers - completely different than the movie. Great read.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
On a friend's suggestion, I went and picked up Starship Troopers - completely different than the movie. Great read.
I've read it twice. Really like the book! Watch the animated mini-series. It was done by Verhoven as well. They follow the book a little closer.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11/22/63 by Stephen King

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? Stephen King’s heart-stoppingly dramatic new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination—a thousand page tour de force.

Following his massively successful novel Under the Dome, King sweeps readers back in time to another moment—a real life moment—when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history.

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
A tribute to a simpler era and a devastating exercise in escalating suspense, 11/22/63 is Stephen King at his epic best.
It's been a while since I've read King. So far this is really good, but it's the endings where King usually sputters out. So, we'll see.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished this. Pretty good. Easy read and entertaining. Looking for my next book now, if anyone has any suggestions....
If you like Perotta, then you'll probably like Jonathan Tropper, too. His last couple: "This is Where I Leave You" and "Everything Changes" are really good, IMO.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
'sleepless' , Charlie Huston

ecomomic collapse in conjunction with a sleeping disorder. Takes place in LA... Started slow but I'm starting to like it more...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both on my Kindle...finished the first chapter of Hounded, and am halfway through the Hunger Games trilogy at the midpoint of Catching Fire.

Finished the Hunger Games trilogy and loved it to death. Katniss is a great character, deep and tormented. Love her.

Almost through Hounded now - this is a fun read for sure!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished the Hunger Games trilogy and loved it to death.
Do the second and third books hold up? I just finished the first but don't want to set myself up for a let-down by reading more if they're not as good.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Selection Event," by Wayne Wightman
You must be registered for see images attach

Amazon said:
In an isolation experiment, Martin Lake had been below-ground for fourteen months and two weeks. He came up on May 30, Wednesday, 11:35 AM. He discovered that civilization had folded its arms across its breast, closed its eyes, and ceased.

When natural selection wipes the slate, there are always a few survivors. Unfortunately, nature does not select for beauty or intelligence.

Selection Event follows in the tradition of Earth Abides and The Road. In the aftermath of the catastrophe, this is what happens next. People open zoos, sabotage dams, and in a final nihilistic fling, several countries have a small nuclear exchange of greetings.

It is into this that Martin Lake awakens and has to find his way.
I downloaded this one on a whim (it was just $3 on Kindle), and am really glad I did. I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic survivor stories, and this is a good one.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Selection Event," by Wayne Wightman
You must be registered for see images attach

I downloaded this one on a whim (it was just $3 on Kindle), and am really glad I did. I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic survivor stories, and this is a good one.

Have you ever read Axler's Deathlands series? I read them in high school and college and loved them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever read Axler's Deathlands series? I read them in high school and college and loved them.

I liked them but I made the mistake of reading the follow-up series Outlanders when it came out and for some reason it kind of ruined Deathlands for me. It's as if it rendered moot everything the gang was doing.

I pretty much love all the post apocalyptic series even the ones that go a bit weird at times such as Ahern's Survivalist series and William Johnstone's Ashes books.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe I'll give it another chance, I'm not sure if I made it halfway the first time I tied to read it. I really hate it when the evil comes from religious extremists and this book goes one further, it pretty much makes every person of faith a religious extremist. Maybe he's right but I find this kind of bad guy to be more frustrating than interesting. My favorite TV series of all time is Stargate SG-1 and the last 3 seasons battling the ORI and their religious war was torturous for me. Religious fanatics (most fanatics actually) do not apply logic to anything and I find that annoyingly illogical.

Steve

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't. I'll give it a shot...but I'm always reluctant to start a series. Hell, I don't even like reading books with recurring characters.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll give it another chance, I'm not sure if I made it halfway the first time I tied to read it. I really hate it when the evil comes from religious extremists and this book goes one further, it pretty much makes every person of faith a religious extremist. Maybe he's right but I find this kind of bad guy to be more frustrating than interesting. My favorite TV series of all time is Stargate SG-1 and the last 3 seasons battling the ORI and their religious war was torturous for me. Religious fanatics (most fanatics actually) do not apply logic to anything and I find that annoyingly illogical.

Steve
If the book had a downfall, it was that it tried to hit you over the head with the evils of organized religion and the corruption of government all the while professing the virtue of zen philosophy (both from Diaz and Martin) and libertarianism.

But, those are things I can live with ... maybe because it's in line with my thinking anyways. ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the second and third books hold up? I just finished the first but don't want to set myself up for a let-down by reading more if they're not as good.

They are good. As good? Maybe not...but very good as well. I liked the last one, a lot.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't. I'll give it a shot...but I'm always reluctant to start a series. Hell, I don't even like reading books with recurring characters.

Interesting! I love a series. I hate getting sucked into a world and loving it, only to be done with it and never go back again.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting! I love a series. I hate getting sucked into a world and loving it, only to be done with it and never go back again.
I hate to see that world get ruined because the author is running out of ideas--or keeps returning to old ideas. I'd rather have an 8 oz filet than a 20 oz rawhide.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to see that world get ruined because the author is running out of ideas--or keeps returning to old ideas. I'd rather have an 8 oz filet than a 20 oz rawhide.

It doesn't happen. In my opinion, it just takes her 3 books to tell the Katniss story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05