What Bands Have You Been Listening To Lately?

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
songs for dustmites

it's actually pretty good, although not great. i saw him a few years ago when he played at the mason jar. so i'm at the bar getting a drink before the show and he comes up right next to me, orders a shot of jack daniels (which he then proceeds to throw back) and then he walks on stage and starts the show. i went over to my brother and said "wow, that was surreal. i just saw steve from blue's clues do a shot of jack daniels."

LOL - Great story Jenna I couldn't remember the name of his disc, I'm glad you did. He apparently has worked up another disc... http://www.steveswebpage.com/

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Listening to the Allman Bros Band for the first time. Great guitar work. "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is wonderful.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
the Bros were and still are one of the best ever. I saw them 5 times. Never let me down.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supertramp

Wow...

I had been listening to them a lot a couple weeks ago. My faves are "Logical Song" and "It's Raining Again".

Lately, I've just been listening to the Beatles, each 4 of them solo, Badfinger, Toto, and Stone Temple Pilots. I know, an interesting mixture indeed.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...

I had been listening to them a lot a couple weeks ago. My faves are "Logical Song" and "It's Raining Again".

Lately, I've just been listening to the Beatles, each 4 of them solo, Badfinger, Toto, and Stone Temple Pilots. I know, an interesting mixture indeed.
I always have the beatles in the mix.

Toto takes me back...for some reason their songs (especially the popular ones like Roseanna and Africa) really bring back strong feelings of my childhood. "Feelings" more than "memories"--I recall the smell and feel of the house, the tactile experience of the things I was playing with (comic books, GI Joes, painting D&D lead figures).

I don't know why Toto does that more than other bands of the era.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always have the beatles in the mix.

Toto takes me back...for some reason their songs (especially the popular ones like Roseanna and Africa) really bring back strong feelings of my childhood. "Feelings" more than "memories"--I recall the smell and feel of the house, the tactile experience of the things I was playing with (comic books, GI Joes, painting D&D lead figures).

I don't know why Toto does that more than other bands of the era.

The best authority on Toto on this board is definitely O. Anyways, I definitely agree...something about their songs have that impact on me as well.

It's odd...this all might seem strange, a game of musical association. For some reason whenever I hear Buddy Holly's "Oh Boy" I think of eating Häagen-Dazs chocolate chip ice cream because I remember being 3 y/o listening to that song while enjoying that ice cream. Or, even drinking orange juice while listening to the Flock of Seagulls "I Ran" because I remember listening to Casey Kasum's top-40 while that was on the charts while eating Sunday brunch.

I was just thinking even before reading your post how music can be used as a soundtrack. I was listening to STP just a few minutes again remembering how all their respective impacted me at the time of their release..... It's overwhelming to think about music in those terms.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...

c'mon KLL - you can never go wrong with a good does of the Beatles (group or solo work) nor Badfinger.

STP :thumbup:

shawn

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
c'mon KLL - you can never go wrong with a good does of the Beatles (group or solo work) nor Badfinger.

STP :thumbup:

shawn

Oh... I meant it was an interesting mixture of bands to be listening to around the same time. I absolutely would never be ashamed of enjoying any of those bands/artists.

Recently.. it's been J Geils Band, Lovin' Spoonful, Billy Joel (earlier material), Canned Heat, the Kinks, Blur, and Graham Coxon.

I still cannot get into any newer bands.... Please anyone..recommend me one to check-out... I'm open to anything.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
If anyone out there was partial to Soul Asylum back in the 90s, do yourself a favor and pick up their new one The Silver Lining. It's beyond fantastic. I've been listening to it non-stop since October and I'm not even remotely sick of it yet.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Megadeth's United Abominations is coming out soon.

Also, the Australian gothic/doom/orchestral metal band Virgin Black's latest effort, Requiem: Mezzo Forte, is a masterpiece. You know, if you're into bombast, gloom, and an eclectic sound. Which I most definately am.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded the new Maroon 5. As a fan of 70s funk, this one hits me right on the spot. It's groove-alicious.