What Bands Have You Been Listening To Lately?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The old timers are still popular because 95% of the new stuff is garbage. I really have to dig to find new music I actually like these days. Pop music is the worst it's ever been in my lifetime, wish I hadn't took music for granted as much as I did back in the mid 70s to early 90s. Even the bands I didn't really like much back then kick ass compared to the newer bands.

There is plenty of great music out there right now, but as you said, you have to dig for it.

If that's too much trouble, blame the corporate overlords who spoon feed their musical choices based on economic principles, not the lack of talent in a particular musical generation. Either way, statements like this just make you sound kinda old :p

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
There is plenty of great music out there right now, but as you said, you have to dig for it.

If that's too much trouble, blame the corporate overlords who spoon feed their musical choices based on economic principles, not the lack of talent in a particular musical generation. Either way, statements like this just make you sound kinda old :p

Well, maybe I AM kinda old! ;)

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
blame the corporate overlords who spoon feed their musical choices based on economic principles, not the lack of talent in a particular musical generation.

In the 90's I worked for a record label in LA and I'll always remember the large placard that was in an executive's office - "Never forget we're here to make money".

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the new Old 97's CD were vinyl, I would have worn it out already.

You must be registered for see images

1. The Grand Theatre
2. Every Night Is Friday Night (Without You)
3. The Magician
4. You Were Born To Be In Battle
5. The Dance Class
6. Let The Whiskey Take The Reins
7. Champaign, Illinois
8. A State Of Texas
9. You Smoke Too Much
10. Love Is What You Are
11. Please Hold On While The Train Is Moving
12. The Beauty Marks

The four Texans return with an explosive new album that captures the sound their fans treasure while excitingly veering their songwriting and production into new areas. The result is the aurally thrilling The Grand Theatre Volume One. Written primarily by frontman Rhett Miller while on tour in the UK, Miller offers up his wry character studies and charming twists on phrases. The 97’s sound is expertly rounded out by band members: Murry Hammond, Ken Bethea and Philip Peeples. Together as a band they’ve delivered an album that will rock America from coast to coast.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For my sixties fix I loaded The Mamas and the Papas onto my iPod from a CD I've listened to a hundred times. Got some kind of a weird glitch where on some songs all I can hear is John and Denny. Or Cass and Michelle. Some songs the strings are too loud. But it is strangely wonderful because I can hear the four-part harmonies in a way I never could before. I can hear how they were constructed. In the 60's this would have been called "trippy". (Which John Phillips would probably have loved.) My first thought was to delete them, but it's good stuff!

---
I talked to someone else who was actually old enough to be buying records in 1967. He told me if you switched your receiver from Stereo to Mono, this was the effect you got. (No one I knew in 1967 who actually HAD a stereo was doing this. So you really do learn something new every day. :))

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently, I'm going through a phase of only listening to bands with very short names...

Old 97's
AD/DC
ok Go

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old timers are still popular because 95% of the new stuff is garbage. I really have to dig to find new music I actually like these days. Pop music is the worst it's ever been in my lifetime, wish I hadn't took music for granted as much as I did back in the mid 70s to early 90s. Even the bands I didn't really like much back then kick ass compared to the newer bands.

Very true. Try Amy MacDonald if you are looking for fresh talent. She has put out two albums that are quite good with no rejects on them. Start with songs like "Spark," "Run" and "Mr Rock & Roll."

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Paul Desmond

Paul Desmond Quartet

Dave Brubeck Quartet (with Paul Desmond)

Jim Hall & Paul Desmond

Vince Guaraldi Trio

Vince Guaraldi

Vince Guaraldi & Bola Sete

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's golden oldies day: Poco.

I agree so I tossed in some Mills Brothers and from there I'm going to The Drifters followed by The Four Preps. I'll probably finish up with something from the mid-60's, perhaps the Byrds, Beau Brummels and Buffalo Springfield.

Steve

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree so I tossed in some Mills Brothers and from there I'm going to The Drifters followed by The Four Preps. I'll probably finish up with something from the mid-60's, perhaps the Byrds, Beau Brummels and Buffalo Springfield.

Steve

I LOVE the Mills Brothers. Adore them. They influenced a lot of singers including (obviously) the Everly Brothers and (not so obviously) Dean Martin.

And a little "Eight Miles High" might just be pretty good later on this afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05