What Bands Have You Been Listening To Lately?

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon_Webb said:
Just got 40 oz To Freedom form Sublime about 3 days ago. been listenin to it non stop
I love Sublime and always wonder what if..... "40 Oz To Freedom" will always remind me of a weekend that I spent with some girls, but wont go into detail regarding that! :D

Anyways, I love the title track, "Waiting For My Ruca", and "New Song" are among my favorites off that c.d......

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BendCardfan said:
Which album? I kinda stopped following them after the American Movie albums came out. I wore out my Sparkle and Fade CD. :thumbup:
Sparkle and Fade (Santa Monica will always be my fave) and "So Much For The Afterglow (to me was their most complete c.d.)....

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
I've been listening to:
Incubus, Matchbox 20, 3 Doors Down, Train, etc.
Sir
Wow, those are 4 excellent bands.... All of them will always remind me of '01, especially "Drops Of Jupiter", and 3 Doors Down "Loser".....

What's your favorite Matchbox 20 album? For me, it's a "toss-up" between "Mad Season" and "Yourself Or Someone Like You".....

Incubus, "Pardon Me" is my favorite song by them.....

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Hey now! No need to lump my boys in with those pansies!

I've been listening to a lil Lenny Kravitz. The man is GOD!
Lenny Kravitz is awesome.... My favorite songs by him are "Again" and "It Ain't Over Til It's Over"....

I loved "Fly Away" and "Are You Gonna Go My Way" until both were overplayed....

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
I love Sublime and always wonder what if..... "40 Oz To Freedom" will always remind me of a weekend that I spent with some girls, but wont go into detail regarding that! :D

Anyways, I love the title track, "Waiting For My Ruca", and "New Song" are among my favorites off that c.d......

I always think "what if" about Sublime. One of my all-time favorites. Absolutely loved their sound...

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maroon 5, Sting, and Jimmy Eat World...this week...with a little touch of Fuel to keep the edge on.

Shawn

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I always think "what if" about Sublime. One of my all-time favorites. Absolutely loved their sound...
Yeah, Sublime was helping to revolutionalize the Ska/Punk revival.... Brad Nowell was not only a exceptional singer, but one of the most underrated guitarist out there......

FischerKing said:
Which album by Fuel? I love "Sunburn", but "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)" is my favorite song by them.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Yeah, Sublime was helping to revolutionalize the Ska/Punk revival.... Brad Nowell was not only a exceptional singer, but one of the most underrated guitarist out there......

All of this Sublime talk is ironic since today is the anniversary of Brad's death. He died at 26, one year shy of the magic dead rock star age of 27.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:

Agreed. I like the Long Beach Dub Allstars, but with such familiar bass play and feel, the absence of Brad is shockingly apparant.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What song do you have on repeat right now?

I have ON THE COVER OF THE ROLLING STONE by DR HOOK. It's been there for days. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Agreed. I like the Long Beach Dub Allstars, but with such familiar bass play and feel, the absence of Brad is shockingly apparant.
I've heard of them, but none of their music....Is there a certain song that you highly suggest that I check-out first?

Assface said:
All of this Sublime talk is ironic since today is the anniversary of Brad's death. He died at 26, one year shy of the magic dead rock star age of 27.
Wow, that was ironic....

As far as who I've been listening to this past week.... The Who, John Lennon,
The Beatles, Ozomatli, The Clash, The Police, and Monster Magnet....

Last edited:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Thanks to Fisher King's album a day review I've been listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree. Trying to find some new bands to like and mainstream radio sucks so bad that I've mostly been listening to KCRW (alt radio) lately.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Assface said:

Man, that guy had it all. A blossoming dream career in an impossible business, a new baby. But I guess he couldn't let himself be happy. What a waste.

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
I like 'Waiting For My Ruca' a lot too. Probably second favorite. My favorite song would probably have to be 'Date Rape' or '54 46 Thats My Number Ball and Chain'

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
Thanks to Fisher King's album a day review I've been listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree. Trying to find some new bands to like and mainstream radio sucks so bad that I've mostly been listening to KCRW (alt radio) lately.
I love listening to KCRW online....Especially "Morning Becomes Eclectic"....Several of my favorite bands have performed on there over the past few years, and I love how those broadcasts are still stored in their archive.....

Another good online station that I've come across is.... http://www.KEXP.org

They play lots of "Indi Rock" along with other bands with diverse sounds....

Rivercard said:
Man, that guy had it all. A blossoming dream career in an impossible business, a new baby. But I guess he couldn't let himself be happy. What a waste.
Agreed....It's stunning from what I read (don't know if this true) that the reason why Brad began exploring with Heroin was because he wanted to improve his creativity through that route...."Expand his mind"... Oh well....

Brandon_Webb said:
like 'Waiting For My Ruca' a lot too. Probably second favorite. My favorite song would probably have to be 'Date Rape' or '54 46 Thats My Number Ball and Chain'
Yeah, I love those other songs that you mentioned as well.....Do you also like "Robbin' The Hood"?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On Tuesday I put Miles Davis' "Birth of Cool" on the player and I have been ewaring the thing out. Miles is awesome!!

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Yeah, I love those other songs that you mentioned as well.....Do you also like "Robbin' The Hood"[/size]
Not much, it's subpar album though i have only heard it twice all the way through it isn't even comparable to the other ones, I also have one of the live albums (before 'Sublime' was released)

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon_Webb said:
Not much, it's subpar album though i have only heard it twice all the way through it isn't even comparable to the other ones, I also have one of the live albums (before 'Sublime' was released)
I read the reason why Brad experimented with heroin in the 1st place was because of how disappointed on how "Robbin' The Hood" fared on the charts... That he believed he would achieve more creativy...which would dramatically enhance the band's over-all sound.....What a shame that was.......

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been listening to a lot of Maroon 5 and Elvis Costello the past couple of weeks.

Rivercard - I never got back to you on some other bands to hunt down. Sorry about that - here is a quick little list of progressive rock stuff that I like.

Dead Soul Tribe - "A Murder of Crows"
OSI (Office of Strategic Influence) - I didn't really care for the album that I have - kind of sucks in my opinion, however, they have this song on there titled "Head" and it absolutely rawks!!! Most of my other prog-rock friends like this band - so it must just be me.
The Jelly Jam - pretty cool stuff there.
Spock's Beard - :thumbup:

Shawn

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did I just see Spocks Beard and Porcupine Tree in the same thread? There is hope for you guys, rock on!!! :p

I got to see Spocks about 3 or 4 years ago, they blew me away, great band.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Did I just see Spocks Beard and Porcupine Tree in the same thread? There is hope for you guys, rock on!!! :p

I got to see Spocks about 3 or 4 years ago, they blew me away, great band.

Both bands are awesome - Spock's Beard has so much stinking talent that it borders on disgusting...

Shawn

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
a bit too much Velvet Revolver. went to the show on Sunday, holy cow what a great set. Scott Weiland is a little light in the loafers these days, and about 60lbs skinnier than back in the STP days, but Slash and the GnR boys still rock w/the best of 'em.

Also been on an odd mix of Lo-Pro, Slipknot, and In Flames and the omnipresent Tool.