What Bands Have You Been Listening To Lately?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE!

Kings of Leon - these guys are fabulous, americana rock and roll; you just can't go wrong with it.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jason Mraz again and some Bush (sixteen stone)

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well....I've been listening to an odd assortment of music this past week....

Mainly... Asia, The Breeders, King's X, KMFDM, Gov't Mule, and sHeavy.....

I know that's a list of obscure bands, but it reflects that type of mood Ive been in this past week.....

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Just bought Los Lonely Boys. Anyone heard of them? They were on the tvs at Target. Great Stuff.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Listened to Rancid's "Indestructible" during a road trip today. Man I forgot how great this album is, uh, IMO. I give it an A+ Two thumbs up..

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
so uh... never got back to us on what you thought of Dropbox... I've still never even heard of it. good stuff?

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
Thought I would revive a somewhat dead thread. Let's see....

Oasis, Bob Seger, Live, Rush, The Cult, Stone Temple Pilots, Tantric, Peter Frampton, Steely Dan, Matchbox 20, and always Led Zeppelin.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reviving this thread....I apologize for not posting much (if at all) in this forum for over this past month, however, I personally felt I tended to over-saturate this forum (much to everyone's chagrin)....

Anyways....I've been listening to a wide array of music recently.... Here's some bands that I highly recommend....

The Polyphonic Spree (if you like Flaming Lips you'll enjoy them)
http://cdzlimited.org/rock/M_R/polyphonicspree.html

Alaska! (remind me of Pink Floyd)
http://pureyukon.com/listen/

Hayden (Canadian singer/song-writer who reminds me of Neil Young & Beck)
http://cdzlimited.org/rock/E_H/hayden.html

Cornershop (I've mentioned before... best known for their 1997 release "Brimful of Asha", but I love how they combine Indian flavored music with techno overtones)
http://cdzlimited.org/rock/C_D/cornershop.html

The Thrills (a band from Ireland that I saw open-up for Gomez on 07/25)
http://cdzlimited.org/rock/S_Z/thrills.html

Lord, I just realized how "mellow" sounding those bands are for the most part (except some of Alaska!)....

If anyone does check-out those aforementioned bands..please tell me what you think......

Also, still been listening to Gomez, The Beatles, The Who, and The Clash as always.....

gnomad said:
so uh... never got back to us on what you thought of Dropbox... I've still never even heard of it. good stuff?
To give you a long overdue response to your question....here's the direct link that leads to that particular c.d.:

http://cdzlimited.org/rock/C_D/dropbox.html

Bob Chebat said:
Oasis, Bob Seger, Live, Rush, The Cult, Stone Temple Pilots, Tantric, Peter Frampton, Steely Dan, Matchbox 20, and always Led Zeppelin.
That's definitely a solid selection of music there....Which albums/songs in particular do you enjoy of each respective singer/band?

Oasis, my favorite songs by them are "Go Let It Out" and "Don't Look Back In Anger"....

Bob Seger.... Being a native "Detroiter" (suburbs though)...there's no way I couldnt enjoy his music while growing-up.....

Live...."Throwing Copper"...enough said......

Rush....I believe they're the official band of ASFN, absolutely among my faves...

The Cult...I must admit that I never got completely into them, but have liked whichever songs I've heard.....

STP...."Core" and Purple", but they did bounce back well with "4"....

Tantric.... I still wish Travis Meeks didn't let his big ego ruin the original line-up of Days of the New, however, Tantric is just as good....

Peter Frampton....Probably the best live c.d. ever recorded...

Matchbox Twenty..."Mad Season" and "Yourself Or Someone Like You"....Rob Thomas is one of the best writers over the past 5-years....

Led Zeppelin..... I was ironically listening to "1" and "3" today.......

Okay, I guess I tried to compensate my recent inactivity with only one post, so I'll conclude this message now! :)

Last edited:

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob Chebat said:
Thought I would revive a somewhat dead thread. Let's see....

:shock:

Bob - where is Sheryl Crowe in that list?

:D

shawn

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
Let's see if I can answer all this... :)

First, the easy one...where is Sheryl Crow on the list. I was not thrilled with her latest CD, Cmon, Cmon. Soak up the Sun is one of the dumbest songs I think she has ever written. Also, she started doing all these duets and basically became overplayed. I grew bored with it. But when I do listen, Sheryl Crow and Friends in Central Park is favorite. My favorite song of hers is still, It Don't Hurt.

Now for the other stuff...

Oasis... What's the Story Morning Glory was rotting in my collection and I had never really given it a good listen. Last fall, I decided to try it again and was hooked. I immediately bought everything that was available and I still cannot get enough. I would have to say my two favorite songs of theirs are Supersonic and Acquiesce. Familiar to Millions, the live 2 CD set also available on DVD is amazing. I have to see this band live sometime in my life. Their lyrics are for the most part, brilliant.

Bob Seger... What a great collection of songs this guy has. Hard to pick favorites but amongst them are Turn the Page, Hollywood Nights, Beautiful Loser and of course, Night Moves.

Live... Mental Jewelry is my favorite CD of theirs. Favorite songs are Lightning Crashes, **** Town, Dolphin's Cry and Gas Head Goes West. Throwing Copper is great, but Mental Jewelry and Secret Samahdi get more listening time here. I really did not care for the last one too much, I will have to give it another listen.

Rush... Tough to pick a favorite out of their collection. I love the Live in Rio collection from last year. Favorite songs are Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Distant Early Warning, Red Barchetta, etc... I could go on and on with this one. I've seen them 5 times, never disappointed. With the passing of John Entwistle, Geddy Lee has replaced him as best bass player, IMO.

The Cult... They have a greatest hits collection called The Singles. This was my first Cult CD purchase. Fire Woman, Edie and Sweet Soul Sister.

STP... I still love Plush more than any of their other songs. That song just rocks.

Tantric... I have not heard their newest in full yet. That first CD of theirs is outstanding and fortunately, not overplayed.

Frampton... Any live Frampton is great. He has a Live in Detroit concert on CD and DVD from a few years back. The guy is still amazing.

Steely Dan... Don't Lose that Number, Bodistaffa (sp?), FM, and Reeling in the Years. RITY has one of my favorite guitar solos ever.

Matchbox 20... Yourself or Someone Like You. I love the whole thing. Rob Thomas is a great writer.

Zeppelin... Physical Graffiti is my favorite. Love them all though. I can live without Carouselambra on In the Out Door.

Some new bands I have recently given a listen to are The Rasmus and Maroon 5. Having a 16 year old, there are a lot of singles I have heard that I like, but I don't really know the bands very well. I don't mind Good Charlotte either.

Last edited:

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Hmmm, what have I been listening to lately. Rufio, Mest, Unwritten Law, Green Day, and a little Guess Who thrown in.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Linkin Park
Evanescence
Tupac
Bee Gees
Avril Lavigne
Eric B. & Rakim
D-12
Lloyd Banks (On Fire)

:wave:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phlegyas said:
Underoath, John Willams, Zao, Killswitch Engage, The Ambassador, Barlow Girl, Howard Shore, Beloved, Demon Hunter, Dead Poetic, Five Iron Frenzy, Blindside, P. O. D., Project 86, and the Cross Movement.

I saw Five Iron Frenzy about 6 years ago and didn't like them at all. I take it you listen to a lot of christian music, do you listen to a lot of Tooth and Nail bands?

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
I just picked up Mike Ness's solo CD, Cheating at Solatair. It's pretty good. It's got a country flavor.

"Cheating At Solataire" is a cover album, at least most of the songs are. Good stuff for fishing or long drives.

I've been listening to a lot of L.A's underground garage punk, the real stuff not MTV's crappy Good Charolotte, Avril Latrine-corporate crap. I've been listening to the good stuff like The Bees, Texas Terri, and The Street Walking Cheetas.

If any of you youngsters want to get a taste of today's true rock/punk movement, pick up the soundtrack for the film "Nothing to Lose", it's a rockumentary film, not to be confused with the Martin Lawrence comedy. They put together some of the hardest rocking/working bands around for the CD.

Last edited:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Under the Influences is all covers. The Solatair CD has a few, but probably 75% are his. I don't have the Influences one yet, but I liked the other enough to get it as soon as I find it.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Under the Influences is all covers. The Solatair CD has a few, but probably 75% are his. I don't have the Influences one yet, but I liked the other enough to get it as soon as I find it.

You're right. Only four songs are covers on Solitiare.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
I just picked up Mike Ness's solo CD, Cheating at Solatair. It's pretty good. It's got a country flavor.

Brand new Social D album comes out next month. I'm soooo looking forward to that, first new album since '97. New Greenday comes out the week before. September is going to be a good month.

:thumbup: