What I Saw in Game 5

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
During BA's tenure the Cards have struggled going to the East Coast. The Buffalo game was more of the same. I guess people are tired of hearing this but I trace much of this back to the absence of game speed preseason reps. This looked liked a team that hasn't worked together enough. You can't go back to previous year's memory because the Cards' playbook is too complex. It takes reps; lots of reps.

Okay here's the good news. Cooper still looked decent at corner. He may be a major find. I also thought Jefferson and DJ had good games.

The list on the other side of the ledger is much longer. I would agree Palmer didn't have a good game. However in his defense, the O-line left him under quite a bit of pressure and it appeared receivers often ran the wrong route. Floyd in particular had a horrible game. It started when the first ball thrown to him bounced off his number. Palmer later got openly upset with him for giving up the inside to a CB on a pylon route. I expected Floyd to play big for his upcoming contract; instead he's folded. The Bills figured out that if you took Fitz out of the game you could shut down the passing game. I know JB had a pass thrown in his direction, but I believe we need to see more of Jaron Brown.

I thought the linebackers as a group played poorly. When they rushed the passer they often seemed out of control, opening up huge rushing lanes. They seemed to totally forget to contain a dangerous running QB. Coverage downfield was spotty and the Cards seemed confused again when playing zone.

I have no way to justify TM's failure to recover on the fumble. I'm okay with his failure to grab it on first try, but after that you have to fall on it. Wanting to be a hero is not good enough. If he can't get down low enough he shouldn't be on the field.

They already got rid of the long snapper. Guys at the end of the pay chain don't even count against the cap. This was a bad oversight. Both lines played inconsistently. No one stood out though the right side of the O-line was noticeably weaker.

This was just a bad game. Hard work is the only cure.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, a good take. I'll add only one thing. I thought that it was a major mistake in having only five DL active and I posted about it when the inactive list was released. And I feel that Stinson isn't one of the five best DL-men, but obviously the coaches disagree.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great stuff Harry.

I really thought that this would be Floyd's break out year with it being his contract year. So far he has looked very pedestrian.

I believe that the limited reps and the lack of intensity in the preseason has carried over into the regular season. This team looks like they are still in the preseason with all of the mistakes and mental errors that they are making. Plus it seems like our star players like Mathieu are pushing too hard to make huge plays when they just need to make smart consistent plays.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
During BA's tenure the Cards have struggled going to the East Coast. The Buffalo game was more of the same. I guess people are tired of hearing this but I trace much of this back to the absence of game speed preseason reps. This looked liked a team that hasn't worked together enough. You can't go back to previous year's memory because the Cards' playbook is too complex. It takes reps; lots of reps.

Okay here's the good news. Cooper still looked decent at corner. He may be a major find. I also thought Jefferson and DJ had good games.

The list on the other side of the ledger is much longer. I would agree Palmer didn't have a good game. However in his defense, the O-line left him under quite a bit of pressure and it appeared receivers often ran the wrong route. Floyd in particular had a horrible game. It started when the first ball thrown to him bounced off his number. Palmer later got openly upset with him for giving up the inside to a CB on a pylon route. I expected Floyd to play big for his upcoming contract; instead he's folded. The Bills figured out that if you took Fitz out of the game you could shut down the passing game. I know JB had a pass thrown in his direction, but I believe we need to see more of Jaron Brown.

I thought the linebackers as a group played poorly. When they rushed the passer they often seemed out of control, opening up huge rushing lanes. They seemed to totally forget to contain a dangerous running QB. Coverage downfield was spotty and the Cards seemed confused again when playing zone.

I have no way to justify TM's failure to recover on the fumble. I'm okay with his failure to grab it on first try, but after that you have to fall on it. Wanting to be a hero is not good enough. If he can't get down low enough he shouldn't be on the field.

They already got rid of the long snapper. Guys at the end of the pay chain don't even count against the cap. This was a bad oversight. Both lines played inconsistently. No one stood out though the right side of the O-line was noticeably weaker.

In all games East of AZ, since BA took over, the Cards are 10 and 9...including regular season and playoffs...of those, just in EST, their record is: 7 and 7, so to say they have struggled is a stretch...have they had issues, yes, but it's not all encompassing of their overall East Coast performances under BA.

For comparison, let's look at Whiz's East Coast record: 6 and 20, including Playoffs and Superbowl.

For me, this Buffalo game was really the first time the team just looked unprepared and uninspired to play an East Coast game...and that includes last year's Carolina debacle. I agree, too, that hard work will get them out of the funk...but they have to be more dedicated and show it, not just talk about it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In all games East of AZ, since BA took over, the Cards are 10 and 9...including regular season and playoffs...of those, just in EST, their record is: 7 and 7, so to say they have struggled is a stretch...have they had issues, yes, but it's not all encompassing of their overall East Coast performances under BA.

For comparison, let's look at Whiz's East Coast record: 6 and 20, including Playoffs and Superbowl.

For me, this Buffalo game was really the first time the team just looked unprepared and uninspired to play an East Coast game...and that includes last year's Carolina debacle. I agree, too, that hard work will get them out of the funk...but they have to be more dedicated and show it, not just talk about it.

A .500 record on the East Coast compared to a 36-16 record overall is pretty significant.

The team looked unprepared and uninspired in Pittsburgh after the week at the Greenbriar, and unprepared and uninspired to start the game at Cleveland a few weeks later (down 20-10 at halftime).

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I don't get why playing EST is such a big deal. They fly in comfort, arrive a day early, get acclimated to time zone. Seems more like an excuse to not perform. :shrug:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harry - re The East Coast:

Could we possibly be spending too much time on Eastern Time Zone logistics? Is too much practice time and mental effort devoted to sleep, diet, hotel accomodations, weather etc. (instead of playbook and film work)?

Then again, look at the bb Cardinals who historically have enjoyed huge home field avantage over the years...until this year.

Go figure.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, a good take. I'll add only one thing. I thought that it was a major mistake in having only five DL active and I posted about it when the inactive list was released. And I feel that Stinson isn't one of the five best DL-men, but obviously the coaches disagree.
The only healthy scratch on the DLine was Xavier Williams & I agree that he should've been active.

Deanna, it's basically a 10am game for them & they're just not used to playing at that time. It's not a great excuse, but I know that it takes me time to recover from jet lag & get used to the time difference when I travel east & I don't have to play professional football at a high level on my trips. On top of that, they had dipshits setting off the fire alarm & screwing up their sleep in the middle of the night.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get why playing EST is such a big deal. They fly in comfort, arrive a day early, get acclimated to time zone. Seems more like an excuse to not perform. :shrug:

Do they? I'm 6'2" 190lbs and hate flying. These guys are way bigger than me. No way a long flight is comfortable. Sure the middle seat is open but it's still an uncomfortable ride for these big guys.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
My bad it's been so sad I thought they'd lost a few more. BTW the Cards aren't the only team west coast team with EST problems. The NFL has even looked at starting EST games at 4. Watch Vegas they know this edge.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Good stuff-- for forum users, I would also suggest checking out Kent Somers Twitter feed from Tuesday - he rewatches the game and posts observations - quite good

Big picture Qs:

1. with a NFL vet available, why do you go to camp with two untested long snappers to choose from?

2. With Drew Butler on a sprained ankle, why didn't the team make a move earlier ?

I think we have seen Palmer's weak spot: behind, feeling like he has to take risks and score quickly-- and the turnovers come.

The defense worries me-- last year I felt like they would pretty much always stop the run, and then make teams deal with lots of third and longs. Even with a mediocre pass rush, the odds favored them. This year-- way too many 3rd and 4 for teams when you even get them to third down.

Amos Jones has to be concerned for his job after the season. It's not like STs have been great prior to this year -- and they have regressed. The ratio of punts blocked vs had blocked is terrible over his tenure, big returns gained vs surrendered as well.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Cooper does look like a major find, and for all of you idiotic 'I want to be nonobjective so my dreams of being a syndicate sports writer comes past while posting on a fan forum site' get riled up, I am not saying he is a pro bowler but solid and what is needed for the Cards :)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Good stuff-- for forum users, I would also suggest checking out Kent Somers Twitter feed from Tuesday - he rewatches the game and posts observations - quite good

Big picture Qs:

1. with a NFL vet available, why do you go to camp with two untested long snappers to choose from?

2. With Drew Butler on a sprained ankle, why didn't the team make a move earlier ?

I think we have seen Palmer's weak spot: behind, feeling like he has to take risks and score quickly-- and the turnovers come.

The defense worries me-- last year I felt like they would pretty much always stop the run, and then make teams deal with lots of third and longs. Even with a mediocre pass rush, the odds favored them. This year-- way too many 3rd and 4 for teams when you even get them to third down.

Amos Jones has to be concerned for his job after the season. It's not like STs have been great prior to this year -- and they have regressed. The ratio of punts blocked vs had blocked is terrible over his tenure, big returns gained vs surrendered as well.
I have seen Palmer, at least in his years a Bengal, be a total boss and mount comebacks... so I do not buy that makes him an automatic turnover machine

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A .500 record on the East Coast compared to a 36-16 record overall is pretty significant.

The team looked unprepared and uninspired in Pittsburgh after the week at the Greenbriar, and unprepared and uninspired to start the game at Cleveland a few weeks later (down 20-10 at halftime).

Don't forget the Bucs game a couple years ago. And the Jags game a couple years ago. Both those games, the Cardinals were strong favorites and were real lucky to win. Then there was an Eagles game where they looked bad. And of course the Falcons game which was the evil twin of this Bills game. Is there an east coast game where the Cardinals have actually looked good?