What is taking so long??

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
A few things, while it's only March, we'll likley still be talking about it next March as well and, secondly, Campbell getting a new deal would lower his cap number and aid the Cards in free agency this year.

Since we are over by $13 million on our CAP space it is a wonder we do anything. We need to hire a graduate from MIT to manage our CAP space. Apparently Mr. B handles it with a ledger in his office.

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Since we are over by $13 million on our CAP space it is a wonder we do anything. We need to hire a graduate from MIT to manage our CAP space. Apparently Mr. B handles it with a ledger in his office.

Are you sure were $13 million over? I thought the NFL will not allow you to sign any free agents while you're over the cap and we have. I'm not certain about the cap rules if your over does anyone know for sure?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure were $13 million over? I thought the NFL will not allow you to sign any free agents while you're over the cap and we have. I'm not certain about the cap rules if your over does anyone know for sure?

Take it with a grain of salt. John's lumbago is acting up today and he is crabby as hell.:D

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

We are most certainly not over our cap limit. It is against league rules, and they keep track of this relentlessly.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We are most certainly not over our cap limit. It is against league rules, and they keep track of this relentlessly.
weren't DAL and WAS over cap last season and got hit with big fines this offseason from it? I could have sworn I read that somewhere

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
They were fined for circumventing rules in place by the league for spending in an uncapped year.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They were fined for circumventing rules in place by the league for spending in an uncapped year.
ooohhhh.... so it was the season before last. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't pay that close attention since I don't care about either team

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the old CBA (or maybe it was even before that?) if a team used the franchise tag, then signed the player to a long-term deal, the franchise tag was unavailable to the team to use again on any player for the duration of the long-term deal.

Does anyone know whether that's still the case under the current CBA? (Joe? :))

...dave

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not going to criticize the lack of FA activity this offseason, because we shouldn't be making major splashes this time around--not needed (Manning would have been welcome, but not our fault we didn't land him). That said, we have seen quite a few teams pen their players to new extensions. We have one guy--one--that really needs it, and can't seem to get it done. Symptomatic of our FO--we make strides in certain areas, yet remain woefully inadequate in others.

I agree with most of this post. Only nit pick would be woefully inadequate. I think maybe a phrase like, with a lot of opportunity to improve would be better. :)

If the Cards to get CC extended this year then who have we lost in the last 5 years that we should have kept?

Dansby, Rolle, Breaston, and who else am I forgetting? There is even legitimate circumstances as to why each of those players ended up leaving.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I've been wondering about this. When it was first announced several talking heads couldn't understand why the Redskins and Cowboys were singled out. They didn't think they had done anything more than several other teams have done.

I do not like conspiracy theories but I wonder if it's a way for the rest of the owners saying, "we were in a lock out trying to bring down the prices we pay our players and you two yahoos blow the whole thing up by paying crazy money".

That's an over simplification but the point is those two kinda broke ranks with the stand of the rest of the owners and have been doing so for years with their spendng habits.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree with most of this post. Only nit pick would be woefully inadequate. I think maybe a phrase like, with a lot of opportunity to improve would be better. :)

If the Cards to get CC extended this year then who have we lost in the last 5 years that we should have kept?

Dansby, Rolle, Breaston, and who else am I forgetting? There is even legitimate circumstances as to why each of those players ended up leaving.

Boldin. Probably the one that hurt the most of our former players who are still in the NFL. It is just so difficult to replace a guy like that. You might be able to replace the production but you can't replace the GA Man.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boldin. Probably the one that hurt the most of our former players who are still in the NFL. It is just so difficult to replace a guy like that. You might be able to replace the production but you can't replace the GA Man.

Thanks. I never think to include Q since we did get something for him but I agree with you. Q was worth far more to the Cards then a 3rd & 4th rd pick.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks. I never think to include Q since we did get something for him but I agree with you. Q was worth far more to the Cards then a 3rd & 4th rd pick.

Another player that it really hurt to lose, note that we're talking about guys other than Warner, who many overlook because he retired instead of leaving as a FA or being traded, was Bertand Berry for what he brought in the form of veteran leadership.

But of course I know that's not on the Front Office which is the topic of this thread.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this. When it was first announced several talking heads couldn't understand why the Redskins and Cowboys were singled out. They didn't think they had done anything more than several other teams have done.

I do not like conspiracy theories but I wonder if it's a way for the rest of the owners saying, "we were in a lock out trying to bring down the prices we pay our players and you two yahoos blow the whole thing up by paying crazy money".

That's an over simplification but the point is those two kinda broke ranks with the stand of the rest of the owners and have been doing so for years with their spendng habits.

I agree. I'm not exactly sure what the rules were that the league had to control this but evidently they were there. However it does seem to fly in the face of the idea of an uncapped year.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score

I agree he was worth more but I think the Cards decided that since he stated absolutely he would never under any circumstances re-sign with them that it was best to get something for him rather than letting him leave the following off season and getting nothing at all for him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree he was worth more but I think the Cards decided that since he stated absolutely he would never under any circumstances re-sign with them that it was best to get something for him rather than letting him leave the following off season and getting nothing at all for him.

I agree but the concern is that it got to that point in the first place. I believe that the exodus of Q, Dansby and Rolle pretty much puts an end to the same old cards in losing talent they truly want to keep.

Sure there will be one offs here and there but no where near what we have experienced since the age of FA.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Two things:
1. I haven't heard (maybe I missed it) anything about Larry redoing his deal in order to free up CAP space.
2. When the labor deal was done last summer, I thought I had heard that there will be a significant increase in the CAP in either '13 or '14. If this is true I would think that players would be leery about entering into a long term deal, and then finding that the CAP has increased significantly. Has anyone else heard that?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two things:
1. I haven't heard (maybe I missed it) anything about Larry redoing his deal in order to free up CAP space.
2. When the labor deal was done last summer, I thought I had heard that there will be a significant increase in the CAP in either '13 or '14. If this is true I would think that players would be leery about entering into a long term deal, and then finding that the CAP has increased significantly. Has anyone else heard that?

No news that I have seen about Larry "redoing" his deal at this time. I think that was mostly if we needed him to do so for PM.

Yes the CAP will go up dramatically and IIRC it is in 2013. Yes it will make negotians harder in some cases and specifically with CC's extension.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dansby and Rolle were both determined to go into free agency. I have no problem with the offers the Cards made. Dansby even agreed to a deal with the Cards during his final season here, and he fired his agent over it and didn't sign the deal (if I recall my history correctly).

Breaston I wanted back, but the injury concerns were an issue, and he didn't have a great year last year.

Boldin just wanted to leave. I was on his side until the NFC championship game when he walked off the field.

I'm not sure any of these are front office/Graves issues. Even the deal Boldin and Dansby signed in the end were awfully darn close to what the Cards were offering.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dansby and Rolle were both determined to go into free agency. I have no problem with the offers the Cards made. Dansby even agreed to a deal with the Cards during his final season here, and he fired his agent over it and didn't sign the deal (if I recall my history correctly).

Breaston I wanted back, but the injury concerns were an issue, and he didn't have a great year last year.

Boldin just wanted to leave. I was on his side until the NFC championship game when he walked off the field.

I'm not sure any of these are front office/Graves issues. Even the deal Boldin and Dansby signed in the end were awfully darn close to what the Cards were offering.

All true which brings up why were Q, Rolle and Dansby all determined to leave the team? It's my belief that there was still a "culture" issue on the team at that time but it has been mostly rectified at this point.

There were very good explanations/excuses as to why we have lost "core" players in the recent past but the fact still remains we were losing far too many players to often. I think we all know why we lost pretty much every talented player before the arrival of Michael and Whiz and I believe those reasons have mostly been corrected.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First off, this is where I make the little happy face symbol with the thumbs up, but I don't know what keys to type. Moving on...

So the question come back to, can we resign Campbell or is he after the free agency deal? Mario Williams deal may hurt us. Obviously, he isn't going to get 96 million, but next year is the year that the cap jumps up and the minimum spending comes into effect. The result is that every team will have 10, 20, 30, 40 million they have to spend. Next year may see the biggest, craziest money spent on free agents ever as teams have to spend to increase to the new cap and the minimums.

It is quite possible Calais wants a piece of that. It is even possible that the Cardinals are okay with it, but if the Cardinals are smart they will sign him to a big deal this year that relieves a little crap pressure, but has a big "roster bonus" for next year that will help us spend some of the cap room while giving CC a big deal now. The question comes back to, is CC willing? His agent (forgot the name) is a very slow negotiator anyway, which doesn't help.

All true which brings up why were Q, Rolle and Dansby all determined to leave the team? It's my belief that there was still a "culture" issue on the team at that time but it has been mostly rectified at this point.

There were very good explanations/excuses as to why we have lost "core" players in the recent past but the fact still remains we were losing far too many players to often. I think we all know why we lost pretty much every talented player before the arrival of Michael and Whiz and I believe those reasons have mostly been corrected.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Of course Dansby wanted to test free agency. Instead of being given a long-term deal, he was franchised...twice. We cut Rolle, similar to how we cut Levi, and I wasn't surprised he didn't want to come back after that.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course Dansby wanted to test free agency. Instead of being given a long-term deal, he was franchised...twice. We cut Rolle, similar to how we cut Levi, and I wasn't surprised he didn't want to come back after that.
Just an irrelevant observation, but I'm guessing that alumni of "The 'U'" are more likely to test free agency and jump ship because of all the glitter and hype they receive in college. So Rolle came as no surprise.

I'm not saying this is a universal truth, but "in case of ties..."

Last edited:

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not willing to accept this. I remember the false signing where Dansby was given the long term deal and his agent agreed to it. Rather than sign it, he fired his agent.

I think we see the facts the same, but the way we perceive them is just different. I honestly don't see what the Cardinals should have done differently in any of the three cases. Rolle wasn't worth the money he could get elsewhere, Dansby was offered a very fair long term deal, and we weren't going to keep Levi at his contract price and Levi had no reason to negotiate without being cut first (Neither did Rolle).

Further, the loss of Rolle hasn't seriously hurt our defense. (Dansby's loss hurt, but I'd also argue the Cardinals did what they could do to keep him and he refused).