What should the Suns do with Gortat this summer?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gortat has 1 year left on his contract. IMO, the Suns need to cash in on him soon. They should trade asap for the best offer. Maybe good young players with potential or maybe draft picks in next year's draft. I don't think he even wants to resign with the Suns next summer and even if he does, he's going to cost to get overpaid for a 30+ year old center. We don't need an overpaid aging center on this rebuilding team.

I really hope the Suns don't do what they did with Amare and Nash and watch Gortat leave as FA while getting peanuts in compensation.

The Suns should have traded Gortat last summer when his value was incredibly high cause of playing with Nash but they failed to take advantage of the opportunity but they can't afford to hold back again.

If Houston gets Dwight, the Suns should look to get Asik from the Rockets to replace Gortat imo. If Dragic isn't too old for a rebuilding team, then neither is Asik since their the same age.

Thoughts on Gortat?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns wisely let Amare walk and collect max money in New York with his history of injury. However, the Suns did try to trade him to GS but the Warriors reneged when Curry was available in the draft.

Nash was traded for a couple of first round draft picks and a couple second round picks. Maybe not the greatest deal but it is something.

I agree with you that the Suns should try to trade Gortat for value as he does not appear to be a part of the Suns future.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There is no question that they should trade him, but the real question is should they trade him ASAP, or should they wait until the trade deadline. I am not convinced his value is very high right now. I wonder if Portland would trade the 10th pick and Leonard for Gortat, or Gortat and the 30th pick? Suns could get Steven Adams, and hope that he or Leonard turn into something.

Edit:
Portland also has a couple of early second round picks. Perhaps the Suns could swap their late picks in the first AND second round in exchange for Gortat?

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'd trade Gortat for just the 10th pick in this years draft, if Portland can take him without shedding a player of about equal value. I'd use the pick to get Dieng. Add T. Robinson from Houston and we'd have a strong defensive front court plus shot blocking and rebounding. Man, I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'd trade Gortat for just the 10th pick in this years draft, if Portland can take him without shedding a player of about equal value. I'd use the pick to get Dieng. Add T. Robinson from Houston and we'd have a strong defensive front court plus shot blocking and rebounding. Man, I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven...

Remember that they still need to score some points. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They need a commitment from him to stay at a decent value, or he needs to be traded ASAP.

You cannot continue to lose value on players. As difficult as it is for Utah right now, they made sure they got value to build with once it way clear DWill was leaving.

Same situation.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I've been a Gortat fan and hoped he'd rebound to his initial form with the Suns, but at this point I'd love to get some draft picks in return. Nothing personal, but it doesn't look like he should be part of the plan two seasons from now. And the fact is, we're not playing for anything next year.

I suppose he makes enough to have value as an expiring contract at the trade deadline, but he's potentially a good rental for a team on the verge, who will then have the option to extend, trade him themselves, or even let him walk if they felt the risk was appropriate for 2013-14.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Remember that they still need to score some points. :)

But not too many next year! We want to improve the team but still not win many games next season. I like the idea of imbalancing the team in the direction of strong defense now as a means of accomplishing that. The other way to strengthen the team and not win too soon is to replace vets with youth - and we should do that, too - in a sensible fashion.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree. I am not at all opposed to losing every single game next year, and I am all about defense, but I really think we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that teams need to score to win, and while it's OK to be a defensive team loaded with defensive players, those players need to be able to score as well.

Suns already have "D and 3s" in Tucker and Dudley, add Robinson, Dieng, and Oladipo, and outside of Dragic and Scola, there isn't a player on that team that can create their own shot.

Dragic, Oladipo, Robinson, and Dieng, even joined by the best scoring SF in the starting lineup couldn't score enough to win many games. One of the bigs has to be able to score, and two of the smaller players have to be able to create their own shot.
Of course, they can always get a scoring SF to replace Tucker/ Dudley, and a scoring big to replace Robinson/ Dieng in the starting lineup, thus making the second unit very good defensively.

Anyway, I think we agree and have the same philosophy- I am just pointing out that we need to be able to score some points. I do disagree with Dieng at #10. He seems to be a fully developed player- he will not be a bust, but I'd like some potential out of a top ten pick. I'd go with Adams or Len before Dieng, assuming they were available.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't believe in the idea that you must have guys who create their own shots. On a team that's just coming together they're a detriment. What you want to instill in the players is that efficient offense stems from teamwork utilizing well set screens, hard cuts and crisp passing. Recognition of what the defense is trying to do is good, too.

Last year when Beasley was on the floor the team would make a weak try at executing the offense then flip the ball to Beas and let him create some sort of shot for himself, however ugly. I hated it when they did that - and the results were not good. Granted Beasley wouldn't be many people's choice for a create-his-own shot guy but he could do it.

As far as T. Robinson is concerned I see him as a backup player in the long run but for next year let him start - assuming he proves to be the defender I hope he is.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is more important to have players who create shots for others.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The quote attributed to Cotton Fitzsimmons always comes to mind in a discusion like this saying, you can never have enough shooters.

So true, somebody has to put the ball in the basket.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The quote attributed to Cotton Fitzsimmons always comes to mind in a discusion like this saying, you can never have enough shooters.

So true, somebody has to put the ball in the basket.

Cotton also liked "dirt workers".

Errntknght

Reaction score
Actually, you always have exactly enough shooters because there's a little shooter in every ball player - and some seem to have more than one/

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is no longer a contending team and they are not retooling either. In either of those scenarios you hold onto him. Now? The team is complete rebuilding mode. If you trade him it should be for another legit big man and/or draft pick that will put you in position to get one if possible.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think they should hire him out to a circus as the strong man.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the biggest mistake we can make this off season would be not trading Gortat.

The Suns are a franchise that prefers to watch its quality players leave via FA rather than trading them to get some, quality assets unlike the Nuggets, Jazz, Thunder, Hornets etc.

Hopefully McDonough is smarter than that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest mistake we can make this off season would be not trading Gortat.

The Suns are a franchise that prefers to watch its quality players leave via FA rather than trading them to get some, quality assets unlike the Nuggets, Jazz, Thunder, Hornets etc.

Hopefully McDonough is smarter than that.

Trading Gortat for the sake of trading Gortat isn't going to help us much. He had a down year so if we trade him this offseason there is a very good chance that we will receive less than full value. I'd much rather see him turn it around and get moved for real value (midseason) than giving him away now for a 2nd round pick. Right now, I don't think he'll bring us much more than a low 20's pick at best and I'm not sure we can get that for him. If someone offers us a lottery pick, even in this draft, I'd probably take it but even that is less value than he should have brought us.

Steve

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trading Gortat for the sake of trading Gortat isn't going to help us much. He had a down year so if we trade him this offseason there is a very good chance that we will receive less than full value. I'd much rather see him turn it around and get moved for real value (midseason) than giving him away now for a 2nd round pick. Right now, I don't think he'll bring us much more than a low 20's pick at best and I'm not sure we can get that for him. If someone offers us a lottery pick, even in this draft, I'd probably take it but even that is less value than he should have brought us.

Steve

Ok if his trade value is low right now, how is keeping him gonna increase it? He's likely gonna have a similar season stats wise as he did to last season and his trade value at the deadline won't be very high because teams will know that they can easily have him by waiting just 4-5 more months rather than giving up anything of value to the Suns. I think Gortat has made it clear that he doesn't wanna be part of this team in the long run. And he has every right to think that way IMO.

But I think your wrong about Gortat only warranting a pick in the 20s right now. Gortat is a solid center on a cheap expiring contract. In this draft, Gortat is easily with a lotto pick. Whether that's from Portlant, OKC, Minnesota, etc.

And you are right that whatever we get will be too low for Gortat. We waited too long to trade him. We should have dealt Gortat last summer when his value was at his highest. We waited too long just like we did with Marion, Bell, Amare, Nash and now Gortat will join the infamous list.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
They should see if they can get something good for him now. If not, then deal him at the deadline. Better have a good year man. Polish hammer time.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
I propose the Suns trade Gortat for Brittney Griner. I think Gortwat could thrive in the WNBA, and we'd be receiving a tougher player in return.

Now, I know what you're thinking... No way anyone would be dumb enough to give up Griner for Gortwat! Ordinarily, I'd agree. But "sources familiar with the situation" have told me that the Mercury's owner is like really dumb. Like, REALLY dumb.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I propose the Suns trade Gortat for Brittney Griner. I think Gortwat could thrive in the WNBA, and we'd be receiving a tougher player in return.

Now, I know what you're thinking... No way anyone would be dumb enough to give up Griner for Gortwat! Ordinarily, I'd agree. But "sources familiar with the situation" have told me that the Mercury's owner is like really dumb. Like, REALLY dumb.

Griner is not exactly burning up the WNBA thus far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake