What should the Suns do with Gortat this summer?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mercury are 0-3. I think they had a closed locker room after the last game.

How do they get out? Is there maybe a window they can crawl through? Poor kids.

Closed locker room discussions usually equals waste of time, IMO. More often than not it indicates a "locker room" problem that doesn't really get solved until Management solves it by trading or releasing someone. At least, that's how it seems to me. Now, of course, they'll go on a 9 game winning streak just to make me look stupid. Like I need any help in that department.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do they get out? Is there maybe a window they can crawl through? Poor kids.

Closed locker room discussions usually equals waste of time, IMO. More often than not it indicates a "locker room" problem that doesn't really get solved until Management solves it by trading or releasing someone. At least, that's how it seems to me. Now, of course, they'll go on a 9 game winning streak just to make me look stupid. Like I need any help in that department.

Steve

I guess there is more to the WNBA than dunking. I was more into Maria Stepanova's game but it is early.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Hawks are looking to build around Al Horford and Gortat would be a perfect piece for them to add.

It would let Horford play his natural position of PF and that front court looks legit.

They have guys like Jenkins, Nogueira and picks that we can ask for in return. They have cap space so maybe we can dump Frye or Beasley (even though he's more like an expiring) on them.

Reaction score
The Hawks are looking to build around Al Horford and Gortat would be a perfect piece for them to add.

It would let Horford play his natural position of PF and that front court looks legit.

They have guys like Jenkins, Nogueira and picks that we can ask for in return. They have cap space so maybe we can dump Frye or Beasley (even though he's more like an expiring) on them.

The more I look around the league the more i see how valuable Gortat is. If Len ends up being a really good player we may want to hang on to Gortat. The way I see it is all this cap space is no good if we not winning (basicly a playoff team that needs a star) Gortat will get 10 + mil a year.

My offer to Gortat would be 4 year 48 mil with incentive's to say if he made an All Star game or games. Splitter likely to get 10 + mil a season Asik got 3 years and 25 mil and he really not close to the player Gortat is. I think MCD may have held on to Gortat because the value of a a well rounded center was better than the 10th pick.

The plus to keeping Gortat Len won't always have to defend the best PF or Center say he gets into Foul trouble we have Gortat. Even going forward Gortat is a Valuable trade peace look at it this way had Gortat been the center of a Harden Trade to Phoenix it would look much better than what they got.

The bad He's going to be expensive and has had trouble adjusting to playing with Dragic because Dragic isn't quite the playmaker Nash is and For Gortat to score became a little harder(although not having Frye for spacing I think hurt Gortat pretty bad to and Scola being a much more aggressive player than Frye as well didn't help).

I think if we got super Lucky and Landed Wiggins next year keeping Gortat would be a must. If Wiggins comes in as advertised we could be an 7th or 8th seed. We have a pretty deep team we just lack a star.

Problem is though With Gortat,Dudley,Dragic,Frye,Markiff and the two Rookies Len and Goodwin I'm not so sure we a 20 win team better coaching and better ball movement plus Frye coming back heathly were still a bad but a bad team that wins 30 games I'd far different from a team that wins 20 games.

Again my problem with trading Gortat or letting him walk is good Centers are so hard to find. Len very well may end up being the best or one of the best(who know?) but at the same time even if Gortat play's great his trade value still won't be all that great because he could be a half season rental.I think MCD would like to keep him if possible but at the same time he could bring back some good assets it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm about 70-30 for keeping him right now because I just think we'd be giving him away at this point.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan Schultz ‏@Schultz_Report 58m
New NBA info: Source tells me that the #Spurs are in serious negotiations with #Suns to acquire Marcin Gortat...

Jordan Schultz ‏@Schultz_Report 57m
Source: Spurs-Suns deal 4 Gortat would either be n a Splitter sign-and-trade or Diaw/filler. Suns get at least a 2014 1st rounder either way

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New NBA info: Source tells me that the #Spurs are in serious negotiations with #Suns to acquire Marcin Gortat...

Source: Spurs-Suns deal 4 Gortat would either be n a Splitter sign-and-trade or Diaw/filler. Suns get at least a 2014 1st rounder either way

That should make Eric's day.

Steve

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan Schultz ‏@Schultz_Report 5m
New info: Source says Spurs apparently interested in Greg Oden and may slow things on the Gortat side. Heat are also interested in Oden.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't understand our reasoning here.

1) Why the Spurs? Seems like one of the teams we'd least likely want to trade with.

2) Why Splitter? Does he all of a sudden become our starting center? If not, is he a PF? What about the glut of PFs we already have?

3) I know it's a new front office, but I hope Sarver at least has the good sense to say, "Boris Diaw? Are you freaking out of your mind??"

4) The pick will be 25-30. Even in 2014, that's not great.

I think Gortat has more value than that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand our reasoning here.

1) Why the Spurs? Seems like one of the teams we'd least likely want to trade with.

2) Why Splitter? Does he all of a sudden become our starting center? If not, is he a PF? What about the glut of PFs we already have?

3) I know it's a new front office, but I hope Sarver at least has the good sense to say, "Boris Diaw? Are you freaking out of your mind??"

4) The pick will be 25-30. Even in 2014, that's not great.

I think Gortat has more value than that.

contenders are the only likely teams willing to give up a first round pick to a rent a vet like Gortat. Boris is an expiring deal next year. throw in a first rounder and I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

the splitter thing would be stupid.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns have already drafted the second coming of Splitter in Len. Having both on the roster would make absolutely no sense at all. (Having one is bad enough.)

Diaw would be worthless with the current Suns. Whatever the magical combination of circumstances is that motivates him clearly wouldn't be in place here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan Schultz ‏@Schultz_Report 5m
New info: Source says Spurs apparently interested in Greg Oden and may slow things on the Gortat side. Heat are also interested in Oden.

Let them take Oden and see how that works for them.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Heat's best reason to get Oden is to make sure he doesn't end up helping anyone else. I don't know why the Spurs would want him.

If the Spurs really want Gortat, I think a third team has to be involved. The Spurs have nothing the Suns want, unless they would consider parting with Kawhi Leonard, which is unlikely.

Reaction score

If we could get Splitter on the cheap about what Marcin's making 6-7 mil yearly plus draft picks maybe the kid they just took as well sounds like a good deal to me.

Plus let's not forget the Spurs gave us a player that ended up knocking them out of the playoffs a few years ago.

Really though splitter is a solid player and is kind of the perfect guy to backup Len( I'm not sure Splitter can push Len because if Gortat stayed he'll likely still be the better center next year as well) because if we don't deal Gortat and Len gets the nod over Marcin say after the All Star break Marcin's not going to take it well.

I think there could be better value out there but Who and what would we get in return?

Reaction score

If we could get Splitter on the cheap about what Marcin's making 6-7 mil yearly plus draft picks maybe the kid they just took as well sounds like a good deal to me.

Plus let's not forget the Spurs gave us a player that ended up knocking them out of the playoffs a few years ago.

Really though splitter is a solid player and is kind of the perfect guy to backup Len( I'm not sure Splitter can push Len because if Gortat stayed he'll likely still be the better center next year as well) because if we don't deal Gortat and Len gets the nod over Marcin say after the All Star break Marcin's not going to take it well.

I think there could be better value out there but Who and what would we get in return?

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would assume that if a deal were to get worked out between the Suns and the Spurs, it would be something like Dudley, Gortat for Leonard. Maybe the Suns add the 2014 Minny 1st rd draft pick or 2015 LAL 1st rd draft pick to the trade as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would assume that if a deal were to get worked out between the Suns and the Spurs, it would be something like Dudley, Gortat for Leonard. Maybe the Suns add the 2014 Minny 1st rd draft pick or 2015 LAL 1st rd draft pick to the trade as well.

Talk about over paying.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My impression was that the the Spurs 1st round pick in 2014 was the main thing the Suns would be getting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just how good do think Leonard is?

Steve

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just how good do think Leonard is?

Steve
Top 3 perimeter defender in the game, best rebounder for his position, good 3pt shooter, great in transition, improving at creating his own shot, high basketball IQ, very unselfish, still young at 23 years old.

Smells to me like the next James Harden.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Talk about over paying.

For Leonard? I don't think so. He could be a real building block for the future. I'm with sunsfan88 on this one. I'd trade pretty much the entire roster for Leonard, except I guess keeping Dragic. 12 and 6 with good shooting percentages and very good defense? Who else on the Suns can bring that to the table?

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
For Leonard? I don't think so. He could be a real building block for the future. I'm with sunsfan88 on this one. I'd trade pretty much the entire roster for Leonard, except I guess keeping Dragic. 12 and 6 with good shooting percentages and very good defense? Who else on the Suns can bring that to the table?

I definitely agree! I think Leonard has the makings of a big time star. He looked fantastic in the finals against the Heat. Would love to have him as the centerpiece of the future for the Suns!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake