What To Expect From The Cardinals in 2008

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The offense, which was pretty good last year, has a chance to be dynamic this year. Here are some of the keys and reasons why:

1. QB Matt Leinart is now familiar with the system and can focus on perfecting his role as a distributor of the football. If Leinart falters in any way, QB Kurt Warner, who passed for 27 TDs last season, can step in and ignite the team.

2. The offensive line remains intact for what seems to be the first time in many years. Their chemistry is paramount. Mike Gandy proved to be solid LT; Reggie Wells was much improved at LG; Al Johnson has a warrior's mentality at C; Deuce Lutui, the RG, is starting to develop into one of the better guards in the NFC; and Levi Brown may start to play like a stud now that he has a year's experience at RT under his belt. Elton Brown is a versatile player who can play any of the tackle or guard spots when needed. Lyle Sendlein offers the team a strong option as a second center, and may help out at guard if needed. Hopefully, Brandon Keith and/or Thaddeus Coleman will provide the team with a promising future at LT, if and when Mike Gandy needs a replacement.

Whiz wants to be physical up front...and the tone has been set for this offensive line. Russ Grimm's influence and astute coaching should pay even greater dividends this year, especially in light of the continuity and the young talent in place.

3. Having a bona fide bocking TE in Jeremy Tuman and two stout blockers at FB in Terrelle Smith and Tim Castille (now up to 243 lbs.) should add even more firepower to a running attack that will feature the ever tough Edgerrin James as lead RB and his new apprentice, the hard-hitting Tim Hightower, as #2 RB. The team could use a real boost from 4th year 2nd round draft pick J.J. Arrington, as Arrington is the team's speed option. Toughness has been an issue with Arrington, but each year he has gotten stronger and more courageous (Arrington ran very hard on kickoff returns last year and broke several). In the wings is Marcel Shipp, who may be the odd man out, but he's a tough, determined player who plays with a great attitude. It's too soon to write him off.

4. At WR the Cardinals may actually be even stronger this year. Imagine if Boldin and Fitzgerald remain healthy and both put up Pro Bowl numbers. At #3 WR, the Cardinals now have a sure-handed chainmover in Early Doucet, who already plays the slot like a pro. At #4, Jerheme Urban will likely get the nod there as he continues to develop strong chemistry with the QBs...Urban's size and uncanny knack for getting open are the signature aspects of his talent...now he needs to catch the ball more consistently. Steve Breaston should continue to improve as another slot option...and is dangerous with the ball in the open field. And the wild card here may be Jamaica Rector, who has the ability to stetch the field.

5. The pass catching duo at TE of Leonard Pope and Ben Patrick is starting to look promising, particularly in the red zone. They are both big, athletic targets...and can get up the seams to make big gain catches as well.

The Cardinals' defense will be fascinating to watch...fans may need a program to follow this group, as Pendy now has a talented host of interchangeable parts. He will have an opportunity this year to keep players fresh, as he rotates players and groups in an out. It should be an all-out team concept:

1. Providing that Gabe Watson revovers well from his knee injury, he and Alan Branch should split time at NT and provide the Cards with a prolific tandem. Branch, in particular, could very well be a star in the making, especially if he plays with a chip on his shoulder. At a strong and athletic 6-5, 322, Branch could wreak havoc in the middle of the line. And, he may start to show promise as a pss ruser up the middle, now that the edge pressure should be greatly improved.

2. At DE, the starters are two athletic dynamos in Darnell Dockett and Antonio Smith...but they shouldn't fade down the stratch this year because veteran DE Bryan Robinson and 2nd round draft pick Calais Campbell will be rotated in...as will 4th round draft pick, Kenny Iwebema, who may thrive as a nickel pass rusher. Another player to keep an eye on is UCFA Keilen Dykes, a 2 year All Big East player who had a penchant at WVU for showing up big when the lights are brightest.

3. At OLB, the Cardinals have four potentially prolific pass rushers in place in Chike Okeafor, Clark Haggans, Bertrand Berry and Travis LaBoy. Okeafor was playing lights out in the 3-4 last year before his injury...and should return with a bang. Berry will be able to sport some fresh legs this year, now that he won't have to play as many consecutive series and snaps. And Haggans and LaBoy wil be very good situational players who may wind up starting and finishing their fair share of games.

In 6th round pick, Chris Harrington and UFA Matt Stewart, the Cards have two run stopping edge LBers...who may even surprise as spot rushers.

4. At ILB, the Cards return a very capable and strong tandem in Gerald Hayes and Karlos Dansby. Hayes may actually start garnering Pro Bowl votes this year, and if Dansby is as motivated as he was last year, and stays healthy, a trip to Honolulu might be on the horizon.

Behind them the depth is solid, as Monty Beisel and Matt Stewart, two hard tackling veterans make their case for playing time. The wild card may be the emergence of UCFA Ali Highsmith, of the NCAA Champion LSU Tigers, as a backup to Dansby at WILB, particularly if Highsmith can pack a little more muscle weight on his frame, while maintaining his remarkably quick footwork.

5. The addition of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie suddenly gives the Cardinals the most talented CB trio they've had in years. Once DRC gets comfortable in the system, it will be almost impossible to keep him, his 6'2" frame and reamrkable 4.29 speed off the field. Starters Rod Hood and Eric Green should benefit greaty, as should DRC, from an improved pass rush...and one of these three CBs, when all is said and done, may find himself near the NFC leaders in interceptions. The depth behind this trio is a little suspect...but keep an eye on UCFA Marcus Brown, another young 6-2 CB with 4.3 speed. This kid is a tremendous athlete and his 52 tackles and 4 interceptions helped to lead McNeese St. to an undefeated season.

6. At SS the Cardinals welcome back Adrian Wilson, their leader and catalyst. His return is huge for this defense. And, get this, now that the Cardinals have a much more talented pass rush from the edges and from the inside, Wilson may get more lightning-quick free shots at the QB on his safety bitzes. Moving over to FS is Antrel Rolle, who emerged as a nickel back playmaker and interception magnet last season. Finally, Rolle will be put at a position that will maximize his abilities. Behind him is Aaron Francisco, one of the team's most tenacious tacklers. If Francisco improves his playmaking skills, he should see a fair amount of time in this defense as Pendy can slide Rolle up to the nickel at times and keep Francisco deep. Also, take a close look at UCFA Dennis Keyes of UCLA, who brings toughness and athleticism and may be capable of playing both SS and FS.

On special teams the Cardinals should continue to improve. The area where they need the most improvement is in kicking the clutch field goals. Neil Rackers will need to be more consistent this year or he will force the team to look in another direction. On kickoffs and on-side kicks, Rackers is outstanding.

New P Dirk Johnson received rave reviews from Andy Reid and offers the team a positional punter who can serve up good hang time.

Long snapper Nathan Hodel was re-signed to a multi-year deal, which was great because he's about as good as they come.

The cover teams, by virtue of the addition of greater speed and athleticism---and strong kicking and punting--should continue to improve.

The return game was much improved last year, especially thanks to Steve Breaston's prowess as a punt returner. This year Breaston will likely return more kickoffs...and share kickoff return duties with speedy J.J. Arrington and hard running rookie Tim Hightower.

The Cardinals will use plenty of their depth this upcoming season in an effort to develop the talent base and team philosophy that Whiz has been incorporating. Whiz's staff is by far the best staff this organization has had in decades. When this coaching begins to make the most of the players' talents...there's no telling what remarkable feats may be accomplished. No need to make predictions...Whiz would not approve. Right now it's all about coordination, teaching and hard work.

Last edited:

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like Parcell's once said, "we are what are record is". 8-8 is a far cry from a super bowl, but there is no reason the Cards can't make the playoffs this year. No excuses.

I really like what the Cards have done in the off season. We didn't have the money to woo big time FA's in, but made due with our budget. Laboy and Haggans hopefully give us depth and should contribute. It's about our defense this year that will determine playoff status.

Leinart will do great. All the pieces are in place for improvement and finally gain respect from ESPN.

Good read again Mitch, I like the red kool aid as well.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, it's that time of the year. Tons of potential upside and plenty of area's for concern.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good write up and analysis of the players and how they all fit, Mitch. The only thing I question is how the all rookies make contibutions. Generally in the NFL, most rookies have little impact let alone playing time on a potential playoff team. The difficulty of translating from a college player to the NFL is very hard and history says it is not often done with much success. The only rookies I see on our roster that MAY contribute are in order: Doucett, Campbell, Hightower and DRC. I think Doucett could be our #3 because he may have more talent than any other WR that is not starting. Calias could be used as a situational pass rusher to keep others DE's fresh and energetic. If Hightower is the player the Cards think he might be he may be used to spell Edge out of necessity. Cromartie might be used in the nickle but could get schooled by NFL WR's because he is a rookie and could lose playing time in the process. I know it is all spectulation about who will contribute and can play early on in their careers, but history says don't expect much too much early on from your draft class. If the rooks contribute and have the some success this season we are going to be a force to recon with next season.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Here is a small thing I noticed:

In Graves interview with Sirius --he said that he beleived that the 2008 team will be a "special team"

not "young and coming up", not "competitive" --but "special".

That tells me that the powers that be over at Cards HQ beleive that they have a playoff quality team.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Here is a small thing I noticed:

In Graves interview with Sirius --he said that he beleived that the 2008 team will be a "special team"

not "young and coming up", not "competitive" --but "special".

That tells me that the powers that be over at Cards HQ beleive that they have a playoff quality team.
no doubt and that's the way it should be in today's nfl. as far as FA's it's a good thing they didn't spend this season because the list wasn't deep anyway. you have to build your team through the draft and use FA as a bonus.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good write up and analysis of the players and how they all fit, Mitch. The only thing I question is how the all rookies make contibutions. Generally in the NFL, most rookies have little impact let alone playing time on a potential playoff team. The difficulty of translating from a college player to the NFL is very hard and history says it is not often done with much success. The only rookies I see on our roster that MAY contribute are in order: Doucett, Campbell, Hightower and DRC. I think Doucett could be our #3 because he may have more talent than any other WR that is not starting. Calias could be used as a situational pass rusher to keep others DE's fresh and energetic. If Hightower is the player the Cards think he might be he may be used to spell Edge out of necessity. Cromartie might be used in the nickle but could get schooled by NFL WR's because he is a rookie and could lose playing time in the process. I know it is all spectulation about who will contribute and can play early on in their careers, but history says don't expect much too much early on from your draft class. If the rooks contribute and have the some success this season we are going to be a force to recon with next season.

The big difference is in years past this team would be counting on DRC to step in at the CB position Or Campbell to step in at DE. That's not the case anymore and the biggest reason I am so optimistic about the 08 season.
ANY contribution by our rookies will be bonus money.

The more I hear about Doucet the more I like his selection. I'll admit when I heard his name announced I said out loud," What? A WR? Geez." I remember howmany big catches Brandon Stokely had for the Colts while the D was watching Wayne and Harrison.

I also think Campbell is going to have a very nice career here in Arizona. Again , he is not going to be asked to step in and become a major contributor. He will get his opportunities while serving his appreticeship. I really believe we will look back in a few years much in the same way we look at getting Boldin in the second round.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Analysis

Mitch, thanks. I don't know if I'm reading between the lines, but I come away with the following concerns:
1. We have zero veteran depth at OT. To depend on a seventh or "eighth" round pick to provide depth is a BIG stretch. If Levi or Mike Gandy goes down, we'll have to either move Wells and replace him with Elton or Sendlein, or move a guard, Elton, to tackle.
2. Size alone makes me think that DRC won't be playing CB, this year. I hope I'm wrong and he's stronger than he looks. But I do think that he'll be an excellent nickleback. But do worry if Green or Hood miss any PT. And the hope that a person, not drafted, like Marcus Brown, might help. I heard that, last year, though not from you, about T. Bain. Just sounds like wishful thinking. But naturally, I hope they all step up. (Keith, DRC, Brown, etc.).
Thanks again, for a great read.

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
Nice write-up, Mitch. I do worry about Leinart, though. I followed his career through his college days and there were times when he was solid -- and other times when he was so shaky that the only thing that saved him was a spectacular running game.

We don't have that running game and Leinart still flusters easily when things start to get tough. I'm glad Warner is backing him up. Still, it bugs me that the coaching staff designated our Golden Boy as starter because of his contract instead of his arm.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The offense, which was pretty good last year, has a chance to be dynamic this year. Here are some of the keys and reasons why:

4. At WR the Cardinals may actually be even stronger this year. Imagine if Boldin and Fitzgerald remain healthy and both put up Pro Bowl numbers. At #3 WR, the Cardinals now have a sure-handed chainmover in Early Doucet, who already plays the slot like a pro. At #4, Jerheme Urban will likely get the nod there as he continues to develop strong chemistry with the QBs...Urban's size and uncanny knack for getting open are the signature aspects of his talent...now he needs to catch the ball more consistently. Steve Breaston should continue to improve as another slot option...and is dangerous with the ball in the open field. And the wild card here may be Jamaica Rector, who has the ability to stetch the field.

5. The pass catching duo at TE of Leonard Pope and Ben Patrick is starting to look promising, particularly in the red zone. They are both big, athletic targets...and can get up the seams to make big gain catches as well.

I'm really looking forward to this combination of recievers on the field at the same time. Pope and Patrick are two huge targets out there combined with the others there can be some serious route screens and misadjustments made in opposing secondaries with these guys on the field.

And the addition of Doucett only enhances the strength of the group. He could be a good one.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Great write up, very enjoyable read.

With the exception of our offensive line, this is probably the deepest Cardinal team we have ever seen. This is the first time I have seen the Cardinals be able to draft for depth instead of trying to find new starters deep into rounds 4 or 5. They were able to use their picks to take the most talented player on the board instead of having to reach for players because of serious need.

I'm confident in Leinart and his progression, and I'm really anxious to see Tim Hightower get some rushes, hopefully they will involve him and not just pound Edge over and over. Offensive Line and CB Depth are a concern, but we seem pretty deep everywhere else.

My surprise player of the year for this season: Rod Hood. I thought Hood played very very well last year, and with improved depth and pass rush, I look for him to get pro bowl consideration this year. I like DRC, but Hood is the best Corner on our team IMO.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
6. At SS the Cardinals welcome back Adrian Wilson, their leader and catalyst. His return is huge for this defense. And, get this, now that the Cardinals have a much more talented pass rush from the edges and from the inside, Wilson may get more lightning-quick free shots at the QB on his safety bitzes. Moving over to FS is Antrel Rolle, who emerged as a nickel back playmaker and interception magnet last season. Finally, Rolle will be put at a position that will maximize his abilities. Behind him is Aaron Francisco, one of the team's most tenacious tacklers. If Francisco improves his playmaking skills, he should see a fair amount of time in this defense as Pendy can slide Rolle up to the nickel at times and keep Francisco deep.

I wonder, if we get enough pressure from the outside along with the DE's and an occasional blitz from Dansby if it's not time to re-evaluate how often we blitz Wilson and leave ourselves exposed somewhat in the secondary.

Having Francisco play deep is not his strength, IMO. Wilson has much better speed. And isn't Cromartie or Green going to be the nickle?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I wonder, if we get enough pressure from the outside along with the DE's and an occasional blitz from Dansby if it's not time to re-evaluate how often we blitz Wilson and leave ourselves exposed somewhat in the secondary.

Having Francisco play deep is not his strength, IMO. Wilson has much better speed. And isn't Cromartie or Green going to be the nickle?

WildBB: Antrel Rolle was so good at the nickel last year that Pendy will likely slide him up from FS to play the nickel with Francisco deep...or...I wouldn't be surprise to see Pendy use DRC deep in the nickel.

It was reported that in nickel situations during this minicamp, Rolle was being used as the nickel. Hood may be used there too, with DRC playing LCB.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Real nice write up. Although I don't believe Arrington is the answer to anything.

DRC looks awfully skinny to handle some of the receiverrs in the NFL.

The lack of depth on the OL scares me also.

A blocking TE and Hightower(hopefully) spelling Edge should improve our run game which Matt needs us to do.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
bright future

8-8 isn't great but when you look at the individual games, they could have easily been 10-6 or even 11-5. Three losses to two teams that were both 5-11 (Baltimore and SF) ultimately did this team in. All in all though I'd be disappointed with anything less than winning record and a playoff berth. How many years can we say that?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
8-8 isn't great but when you look at the individual games, they could have easily been 10-6 or even 11-5. Three losses to two teams that were both 5-11 (Baltimore and SF) ultimately did this team in. All in all though I'd be disappointed with anything less than winning record and a playoff berth. How many years can we say that?

We can pin several of the close losses on defensive breakdowns late, and Rackers missing field goals. The additional defensive depth at DE and LB should help keep our front seven fresher, and allow a better pass rush late in games. It was obvious that Darnell Dockett and others wore down as the season progressed, and our backups like Tafoya and Blackstock were out-matched and ineffective. Hopefully that issue has been resolved. It will also help if we don't lose three of the top five in the secondary for extended periods.

The critical field goal misses late in games may still be an issue.

cardfan

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, thanks. I don't know if I'm reading between the lines, but I come away with the following concerns:
1. We have zero veteran depth at OT. To depend on a seventh or "eighth" round pick to provide depth is a BIG stretch. If Levi or Mike Gandy goes down, we'll have to either move Wells and replace him with Elton or Sendlein, or move a guard, Elton, to tackle.
2. Size alone makes me think that DRC won't be playing CB, this year. I hope I'm wrong and he's stronger than he looks. But I do think that he'll be an excellent nickleback. But do worry if Green or Hood miss any PT. And the hope that a person, not drafted, like Marcus Brown, might help. I heard that, last year, though not from you, about T. Bain. Just sounds like wishful thinking. But naturally, I hope they all step up. (Keith, DRC, Brown, etc.).
Thanks again, for a great read.

Garthshort, as far as depth for offensive tackle, we do have Elliot Vallejo who was practice squad last year. He was considered developmental last year, but is showing promise this year and knows the playbook inside out. He could back up Levi if need be.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Garthshort, as far as depth for offensive tackle, we do have Elliot Vallejo who was practice squad last year. He was considered developmental last year, but is showing promise this year and knows the playbook inside out. He could back up Levi if need be.

He might be showing promise this year, but how does an Olineman show promise in an easy 3 day mini camp that you cant wear pads or hit at?

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
He might be showing promise this year, but how does an Olineman show promise in an easy 3 day mini camp that you cant wear pads or hit at?

Was he showing THIS?

You must be registered for see images attach
:shrug:

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The critical field goal misses late in games may still be an issue.

that may be the biggest issue of the season. Those late ,game winning chances that he misses sucks the life out of a team.