What Would Be An Excellent Year For Kyler Murray?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
One thing the board seems to be in complete agreement with is that this is "the year" for KM because he has a complimentary run game and the personnel around him for success. So, what would success be for KM individually? I want to know, because I don't feel W-L record will accurately measure his overall success, as the defense will drag us down.

For me, he must:
Break 4,000 yards passing, finally. Rather shocking that he hasn't done so yet.
30 Passing TDs
Only 10 max INTs
500 Rushing Yards
5 Rushing TDs

That is a high bar, but he's supposed to be a transcendent player and a generational talent. Well, he has the perfect storm of support this season and absolutely no excuses. If he's ever going to be that kind of QB for us, now is the time.

Even still, meeting or even exceeding these numbers might mean nothing for the team, more's the pity. KM has been given tons of offensive support, but not much team support. A career year may still only lead to 6 wins, per se. This is why I'm not overly keen to measure KM's year by W-L record.

So what say you? What numbers would you say would mark an excellent year for KM?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I think it's extremely difficult to put statistical output on his success in this system. Lamar won MVP with the league's best running game with a 67% comp. %, 3650 yards and 24 TDs, 821 yards rushing and 5TDs rushing.

My best guestimate for Kyler in a top 3 rushing attack and overall top 10 offense:

66+% comp. %
3800 - 4200 yards passing
28+ TDs
14< INTS
400 yards rushing
5 rushing TDs

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Generational talent? Why do people keep saying this lie here?

Only “generational talents” that received that label(that are QBs) in the past 15 years were Andrew Luck & Trevor Lawrence.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the necessary part for having an outstanding season is playing at least 16 games, but it isnt sufficient

i like yard per attempt as an important stat -- its captures both completion percentage and if you are driving the ball down the field enough successfully

it needs to be 7.5 or above. Kylers really good 2021 year it was 7.9. 8 YPA is top 5 in the league territory. In his terrible 2022 year it was 6.1. Thats bottom 10.

his TD to Int ratio needs to be at least 2.5 to 1. 3 to 1 is top tier.

FWIW: for his career, Kyler has a YPA of 7.0 and a TD/INT ratio of 2 to 1. Thats game manager territory for QBs --

Reaction score
Generational talent? Why do people keep saying this lie here?

Only “generational talents” that received that label(that are QBs) in the past 15 years were Andrew Luck & Trevor Lawrence.
Would you rather have Lawrence over Kyler? Honest question.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Would you rather have Lawrence over Kyler? Honest question.

Yes? I don't feel like there's that much between them.

While Lawrence hasn't been what was hoped (yet) neither has Kyler. Lawrence has played all but one game over 3 years. He has two 4000+ yard seasons. He only has one losing season. Statistically there's not that much between them as passers.

I have a general preference for traditional tall QB's so if I had to choose I'd go with the younger Lawrence who stays healthier. That's nothing against Kyler, but Kyler hasn't exactly been fire so far.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10+ wins and a playoff game and a playoff win. The numbers? I don't really care. If that actually happens I suppose they would be pretty good.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Very curious to see his deep passing accuracy. For whatever reason, it has become a weakness overall in recent history vs early in his career.

Agree with Stout that I'm not grading his performance on W-L record because I think the ceiling this year is probably 9 wins.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really hard to project numbers as it pertains to Murray. What we saw the last 8 games last year with Murray was with very little impact from the WR room. That’s why losing Zay Jones even for just 5 games does hurt this team. MHJ is a huge addition, and Wilson, if healthy, looks extremely impressive. Dortch will be effective in the slot, and McBride is a top 3 TE in the league. How much time does Conner miss? And when he’s out, does Benson turn into a star overnight in this offense? I think the key to this offense is the OL. How does Paris do moving to the left side? Is he just ok, or does his game move to the next level? The interior almost has to be better than last year, but how much better? And no one can predict what Jonah Williams will be like on the right side. With a full offseason to learn this offense completely, I personally expect Murray to be exceptional. But that’s me. I have a significant hunk of change coming my way if some of my bets come through:
-Cardinals over 6.5 wins
- Cardinals making the playoffs
-Cardinals winning the NFCW
- Cardinals winning the NFC Championship
-Cardinals winning the SB
-Murray winning MVP
-Murray exceeding 4000 yards passing
-Murray exceeding 30 total touchdowns

Obviously, I don’t expect to win all those bets, but winning just a couple puts some coin in my pocket lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky