What's bothering me about the Suns

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it I would do this trade next year for sure. Beasley + Frye (who I am sure will accept a buyout or retire), I would even be willing to throw in Marshall and a future 1st. But I am not sure Memphis is just looking to unload him for salary dump. I am sure they can get a much better package somewhere else.

It would be the best case scenario, if Memphis were just trying to do a salary dump. I don't think this is the case. I think they would want a combination of salary relief and assets. I don't think Beasley, Frye, Marshall and a first would even get their attention although it might draw a chuckle. :)

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it all depends on what assets the Suns would have to give up to get Gay. I'm not convinced the Suns can get a better player in a trade.

I think that the Grizzlies wouldn't want neither Beasley, nor Frye, so we would have left with the Dudley, Johnson, Brown package that both works financially and makes sense for Memphis.

I guess that MEM would demand at least Lakers' pick too, but I'm not sure I would do this deal even without it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't think Beasley, Frye, Marshall and a first would even get their attention although it might draw a chuckle. :)

More like a guffaw of contempt. Any GM offering that package for Gay would take a huge and lasting credibility hit. It's better to keep silent than to make an offer that reveals your ignorance.

Gay is a formidable asset, even at his salary. It's not too hard to argue that he's a top-five SF in the league, or at least close to that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that the Grizzlies wouldn't want neither Beasley, nor Frye, so we would have left with the Dudley, Johnson, Brown package that both works financially and makes sense for Memphis.

I guess that MEM would demand at least Lakers' pick too, but I'm not sure I would do this deal even without it.

I don't think even changing these players, Dudley, Johnson, Brown and adding the Lakers pick would draw interest. The Suns do not have a player that is untouchable although I'd like to keep Dragic. The Grizzlies already have a fairly good roster. I guess one would have to figure out what they want. Maybe picks and salary cap relief would do it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think even changing these players, Dudley, Johnson, Brown and adding the Lakers pick would draw interest. The Suns do not have a player that is untouchable although I'd like to keep Dragic. The Grizzlies already have a fairly good roster. I guess one would have to figure out what they want. Maybe picks and salary cap relief would do it.

I'd have real mixed feelings about a deal like that. I just don't think you do yourself much good giving up assets (Dudley and pick) for a player that is clearly overpaid. His contract isn't all that much different than Amare's and while he would help us more, he wouldn't make us relevant. I'd be all for pursuing him if Memphis was forced to move him (with a discount) to reduce payroll but he's just not worth the 18 million he'll cost us next year IMO. BTW, if they'd include Bayless to offset Beasley (plus whatever has to happen to make the numbers work), I'd be interested.

Steve

Last edited:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This is exactly what the Dudley, Johnson, Brown, Lakers pick package would do for them.
Plus add a cheap replacement SF who can help them in outside-shooting which is one of their weakest points.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have real mixed feelings about a deal like that. I just don't think you do yourself much good giving up assets (Dudley and pick) for a player that is clearly overpaid. His contract isn't all that much different than Amare's and while he would help us more, he wouldn't make us relevant. I'd be all for pursuing him if Memphis was forced to move him (with a discount) to reduce payroll but he's just not worth the 18 million he'll cost us next year IMO. BTW, if they'd include Bayless to offset Beasley (plus whatever has to happen to make the numbers work), I'd be interested.

Steve

I think Gay gives the Suns a huge boost in terms of name recognition and athletic ability. Is he worth the contract, probably not, but he would do something for the Suns that Joe Johnson did for the Hawks. The Suns have to start somewhere.

If only someone could convince Sarver to spend more money for better personnel in the Suns FO, especially the GM position and also scouting, this would be the better move. A good GM would be the best investment the Suns could make... then let him make the personnel moves.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what the Dudley, Johnson, Brown, Lakers pick package would do for them.
Plus add a cheap replacement SF who can help them in outside-shooting which is one of their weakest points.

I'm not opposed to it, if this would get the job done. However, this is just me thinking.

The problem I have with the Suns, they do not have someone with basketball smarts to have a long term plan in place for the Suns. I do not think the Suns have a vision for their future.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Gay gives the Suns a huge boost in terms of name recognition and athletic ability. Is he worth the contract, probably not, but he would do something for the Suns that Joe Johnson did for the Hawks. The Suns have to start somewhere.

If only someone could convince Sarver to spend more money for better personnel in the Suns FO, especially the GM position and also scouting, this would be the better move. A good GM would be the best investment the Suns could make... then let him make the personnel moves.

It would definitely improve us and give us an active body to offset some of our lack of athleticism but I didn't realize his name was out there amongst the average fan. If he's a big enough draw to bring excitement to the valley and put some butts in the seats it's probably worth it to overpay for him.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
How good a defender is Gay? I don't think he's outstanding or I'd likely have heard it but I don't know just how he stacks up. If he's not at least as good as Duds, I wouldn't want him at that salary.

I just compared his career stats to the average of the 40 SFs who've played over 200 minutes this season. Damn near a carbon copy except for minutes per game - Gay plays 37.5 mpg. Its good he can handle that load but basically he's an average SF. Thats an upgrade for the Suns, to be sure, but its not what you build around - unless he's an above average defender.

The Grizz value defense so if they're trying to move him, that could well mean he's not that good on the defensive end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05